• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Winter Sale 2016 thread of hoping for better deals elsewhere

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ascheroth

Think i want to get Firewatch due to the short story, and the fact I can get through it relatively quickly but still get a good amount of fun out of it. I really liked Gone Home and this seems like a somewhat similar experience.

Don't want to make any large commitments with my time with the timesuck that CS is for my gaming time.

How long is Ori approximately to beat?

Ori is around 8-10 hours.
---

The House in Fata Morgana - Chapter 2

God damn. This was brilliant. A brilliant tale of madness and tragedy.

MoFuzz

Canada GAF, are there any sites that sell in CAD other than Steam and Bundlestars?

That USD conversion remains brutal

Clunker

Anyone checking out XCOM 2 (or who faltered on it due to feeling time constraints for the turn limits) should definitely consider the True Concealment mod - it doesn't remove the turn limits at all, but it does freeze the counter as long as your team is in concealment stealth mode. This allows you to play more cautiously and stealthily, but then go loud and make a frantic burst for the end. It makes the game slightly easier but it's already a pretty freaking oppressive game. :)

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Hello everyone, I hope you are having a good time with the sale and whatever way you celebrate this time of year.

So a friendly reminder for anyone with got Amazon gift cards as presents,several games like Wolfenstien The New Order are the same price as the Steam Store itself,and of course Amazon gives out Steam keys for most of them.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Anybody know if God Eater Burst 2 still comes with the original or was that a pre-order special only?

The former. The store page says as much. ;)

GE2RB_Custom-Images-(GER-pack).png

Can anyone recommend the forest as a MP survival game? Looking for a game to fill my Friday the 13th void (I don't like how small and limited dead by daylight is).

legend166

So I got a $20 Steam gift card for Christmas even though I don't actually have a PC any more to pass Steam games on. The only thing I've got is a 18 month old MacBook Air.

Can anyone give me recommendations for games that would run on a MacBook Air? Would the LucasArts remasters work?

Deadly

Anyone know how well Witcher 3 will work on a gtx950? I've been putting off buying it because I don't think it'll work too well and I want to play that game with some good settings.

KenOD

Can anyone recommend the forest as a MP survival game? Looking for a game to fill my Friday the 13th void (I don't like how small and limited dead by daylight is).

White Noise 2 is Early Access and has some issues they are working on to be sure, and being early can struggle with finding games sometimes, but it may be closer to what you want until the Jason simulator comes out.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/503350/

So I got a $20 Steam gift card for Christmas even though I don't actually have a PC any more to pass Steam games on. The only thing I've got is a 18 month old MacBook Air.

Can anyone give me recommendations for games that would run on a MacBook Air? Would the LucasArts remasters work?

Yeah, I've gotten Day of the Tentacle Remastered to work just fine on it. I haven't really tried anything else beyond that and Limbo though (which also worked well).

rdytoroll

Anyone checking out XCOM 2 (or who faltered on it due to feeling time constraints for the turn limits) should definitely consider the True Concealment mod - it doesn't remove the turn limits at all, but it does freeze the counter as long as your team is in concealment stealth mode. This allows you to play more cautiously and stealthily, but then go loud and make a frantic burst for the end. It makes the game slightly easier but it's already a pretty freaking oppressive game. :)

How's the performance of that game nowadays? Haven't had this one installed in a while

shockdude

Video games with headphones are the best. Best way to enjoy the background music, and a lot of fun when games utilize stereo effects in cool ways.

Monooboe

Aaah I've been having a blast with listening to Giantbomb GOTY podcast and playing Grow Up. Such a perfect podcast game. It is also cheap, so anyone that liked the first one should really get it.

Also, way OT but such a weird conscience happened to me today, I was watching the Doctor Who christmas special and I reach over to my phone and refresh my podcast app and the moment the giantbomb episode pops up the Doctor yells "It's a giant bomb!" haha, I was like WTF!?.

xezuru

I don't know if they updated it since I last played it 6 months ago, but The Forest is pretty simple, I'm on the edge of to rec or not to reccomend because of the earlyaccessness when I played it at least. If you strip Minecraft in your mind to just exploration, The Forest is better in that aspect as you actually find exploration upgrades that actually pseudo make sense and open up paths pseudo primitive openworld Symphonia of the Night esque, ex. you find a climbers axe in a cave that lets you wallclimb off malleable walls in caves that can open up certain routes. That said, when I played, base building was a decent incentive but but didn't exactly feel free and personable besides placements, but they do matter as stuff may eventually attack you in waves. All in all it was pretty simple but decently fun but I hope they expanded it and made some strides since then, recommend probably around 6 people to play with if you do decide to get it.

Deadly

I inquired about Satellite Reign earlier on. So if it's not like XCOM, since it's real-time, does it resemble Dawn of War 2s style?

Ladekabel

Does the Steam controller have a screenshot button? Or is the share button on a DS4 supported?

Finished Abzu earlier and there were a few moments where I would have wished for one on the Xbone Pad because leaning forward an then pressing F12 isn't the fastest way to do it.

legend166

Yeah, I've gotten Day of the Tentacle Remastered to work just fine on it. I haven't really tried anything else beyond that and Limbo though (which also worked well).

Cool thanks!

Anyone else with recommendations for games that would work on a MacBook Air?

xezuru

Helldivers + all dlc or just base?

Personally, I would recommend if you're buying Helldivers just buy the vanilla game, and maybe just buy the DLC with the C4 or All Terrain Boots. All the dlc is just different dlc loadouts and the game is completely playable and fun without them it's just those are great utility items specifically, all the rest are pretty ehh reliant on big preference. Can always get in another sale if you get deep into the game.

T-Rex.

Banned
Does the Steam controller have a screenshot button? Or is the share button on a DS4 supported?

Finished Abzu earlier and there were a few moments where I would have wished for one on the Xbone Pad because leaning forward an then pressing F12 isn't the fastest way to do it.
It's the home button + right trigger iirc.

I inquired about Satellite Reign earlier on. So if it's not like XCOM, since it's real-time, does it resemble Dawn of War 2s style?

Very much so. Highly recommended at its current price.

If you are looking for something like Xcom tho, check out Massive Chalice.

Adnor

Banned
Just finished the tutorial of the new Hitman and did a few training freeform kills and man, people weren't kidding that it was a good game. Will need to play more to know how I really feel about it, but so far it's pretty good.

My biggest complain so far is the low FOV, but I guess the game is designed for that. I know you can use cheat engine to change the FOV but I think that would be against the game design, so I'll just play with low FOV.

KenOD

Yeah it's closer to Dawn of War 2 game play, but there is more focus on stealth or sometimes even outright avoiding enemies. I would say a touch of Commandos/Shadow Tactic even.

Main things is bigger world, lot of different options for doing things (it's cyberpunk after all), no pausing, and there is quite a bit of stuff you can make happen on your own rather than just straight up fighting all the time. Kidnap people and clone them, disable cameras to not fight at all, cause civilians to go crazy, rob a bank, stop a bank robbery, etc etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom