• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What would you want from TLOU2's gameplay?

Expand on everything.
Bottles: If they see where you throw them from, they'll spot you. If you throw too many they'll look around for you. More complicated puzzles with bottles.
Radar: instead of black with white outlines maybe sound waves. or better 3D sound.
crafting: being able to break objects to make makeshift weapons. such as brooms, all tools....
ehh idk.

its gonna be awesome.

big_z

Warehouse_Wooden_Pallet_Factory_Direct_Sales__634568831366911268_2.JPG

ButchCat

Besides what's already been mentioned about the AI, I'd like to see the sequel take advantage of the environment. Scavenging for day-to-day things that can be weaponized, I really like what Days Gone is doing where the protagonist picks up an oil filter and uses it as a suppressor or maybe even a plastic bottle. Using broken bottles as a melee weapon instead of a one time use or glass shards. A more elaborate stealth system that encourages stealth and keeps it inticing throughout the game instead of the stale choke hold.

Part II should be more grounded meaning Ellie hurts and bandages aren't the answer to everything this time. Healing should expand to using ointments and antibiotics depending on the nature of injury. Also the clothing should deteriorate over the course of the game kind of like the Arkham series and that goes for cutscenes too.

Rajang

OléGunner;227388295 said:
-Ramp up the AI
-AI vs Infected combat scenarios we can play with
-More crazy set pieces thrown in like jeep chase in UC4 (that fits TLoU world)
-Wider combat areas like UC4
-New puzzle ideas that go beyond ladders/floating planks etc
-Improved dismemberment tech
Yes.

I'm a fan of good bullet damage.

Maybe I dreamed about this but I remember Druckmann talking about being able to shoot off fingers in TLOU but they had to remove that tech or something. Put that back in ND. lol

Skux

Non-lethal options with different gameplay mechanics. It would be nice to be able to progress without having to murder everyone in the area.

I agree on the heaviness and weight felt on both the characters and guns, its a must.

I just want everything from the first game, but more advanced. Better crafting, better stealth and melee animations. Perhaps even a vehicle section.

But what I want the most is enemy variety; both human, zombies, and abominations like this:

what-i-want-from-the-last-of-us-2.jpg

This could devolve easily into things like RE's ridiculous creatures.

Though it'd make sense considering the chordyceps infection was zoonotic.

Xe4

Banned
I'm already happy with the core gameplay from the first game.

What I would want for the sequel is one thing: choice. Give us branching paths with multiple endings. No need to make dozens of endings like in some RPGs, just 2 or maybe 3 (good, normal, bad) endings would do just fine for this kind of game. It'll improve the replayability a lot, so that people have a reason to replay instead of just aiming for them trophies.

I believe you can do it ND, if you want.
But this would've failed completely in TLOU. There are other ways to foster reputability than just more endings.
Uncharted wasn't about "slow, introspective walk & talk" but UC4 still happened

But UC4 still had setpeices. Having more room between action didn't ruin the tone of the game; having setpeices I feel would ruin TLOU.

Gorillaz

I'm expecting ai partners to get a boost. It was there biggest flaw in the first and people have been saying it side launch.

Kinyou

An AI that resembles more what we saw in the first Tlou gameplay demo

Also more options when taking someone hostage. Like asking how many there are, where they have supplies etc.

Skux

TLoU still had set pieces. The hotel basement. The gym bloater. The sniper section. Sure you weren't jumping between exploding planes but they were clearly levels designed as highlight points based around a theme.

waist high cover, so I know exactly where the combat sections are going to take place

its very immersive this way

some more walk n talk, possibly through the areas with waist high cover so I can know theres going to be an ambush or a reason to come back through the area

puzzles more complex than moving ladders
better ai, not that it was crap but it wasnt as good as the reveal
i didnt really enjoy the battles with infected but they were good for variety, i want more human battles they were just more fun

The only thing that was slightly disappointing with TLoU for me, was the enemy encounters were pretty much always human or infected only.

I would like to see lots of AI human and infected interactions, so if a group of humans are hunting you, you can lead them into a group of infected and cause them to fight each other.

Maybe you spot some human enemies trying to sneak by Clickers and you can throw a bottle or brick to make a noise and watch them get ripped to bits.

Things like that would make the combat / stealth encounters even better than the original.

Even more contextual animation/takedowns, further evolved infected (bigger/badder), harder puzzles, stronger horror elements and most importantly lots of underwater levels with upbeat and catchy music.

Edit: Also more complex/larger levels with more verticality. I'd love to explore an entire apartment building door by door even if some rooms are just ruins.

Oneself

Better AI, more "human vs clickers" situations like we've seen in Left Behind.

Also, I truly loved that TLOU didn't force players to fight and I hope it will be even more "obvious" in the next game. I want to be able to escape or sneak without fighting. Maybe they could make "consequences" for skipping fights or not (clickers appearing at different places later on etc)

Cyborg

I want a moment where you drop down in an area that turns out to be a Zoo and all the animals are hungry (or infected) so the chase begins.

First the lion chases you, then a gorilla, then an elephant, then a wolf and in the final fase they come all together. While you run for your life the viewpoint switches and Joel needs to snipe down all the animals so that you can survive.

Hmmm something like that?

Dynasty

I want a moment where you drop down in an area that turns out to be a Zoo and all the animals are hungry (or infected) so the chase begins.

First the lion chases you, then a gorilla, then an elephant, then a wolf and in the final fase they come all together. While you run for your life the viewpoint switches and Joel needs to snipe down all the animals so that you can survive.

Hmmm something like that?

It is like you actively want Naughty Dog to be harrassed by PETA.

cornerman

Just some random ideas.

- doors - opening them and closing them can redirect/channel clickers, maybe. Doors can also serve as melee kills or stunners. I think this will have to be playtested and is kinda reliant on good AI patterns.

- Enemies - I think they ruled against infected wild life intentionally on the last game. And when I think about it, I figure a wild animal's move set is going to basically behave like a clicker...which is coming right at you. I say invest in an infected model randomizer for their appearance. Make their appearance more distinct, and have it varied. And make their behavior more radical. Clickers are blind, so I envision them rabid and lacking self-preservation when compared to other enemies. have them crash through glass, knock over items and objects in the environment. Exploit them using the environment. For example, A clicker chases Ellie, she dives under a object in the environment that has a jagged edge, and the clicker gets impaled as it blindly gives chase.

- hiding areas - closets, lockers, bath tubs, vacant cars, etc. - it allows you break line of sight. and get the one up one enemies.

- hiding bodies - this is good for human encounters. Might be useful for Ellie to move a body as not to give her presence away.

- context sensitive takedowns - expand that more. Near a window, use it to ram their head through. by an object? pick it up and hit them with it.

- special case infected - seeing as folks want different infected types. I say why not pull a walking dead like maneuver. Have infected who just happen to lose control while they were doing something else...Maybe its got them in a precarious position, or their spores have grafted them onto some dangerous object.

ok, gotta step away...grilled cheese time.

But UC4 still had setpeices. Having more room between action didn't ruin the tone of the game; having setpeices I feel would ruin TLOU.

Speak for yourself. In theory, having more slow moments in Uncharted wouldn't have necessarily ruined the game, but the way it was done did ruin the pacing for many.

TLoU had setpieces, just a different brand from Uncharted fare. Ideally, the action in TLoU would lean more toward the horse-riding, truck-fleeing, tunnel-collapsing setpieces in the first game. When a bigger focus on setpieces would go too far like the slower/uneventful moments in UC4 did for some, who knows

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Pacing is definitely a huge part of why I prefer certain entries in the Uncharted series over others. UC2 is still the king in that regard, with UC4 lagging way behind because of its extremely lobsided focus on uninteresting walking and platforming sequences.

TLOU1, like UC2 and RE4, is another game that had exceptional pacing. The beginning in Boston has a little too much wheelspinning, but right around the time you get to Bill's town is when the game finds a very consistent groove. A solid delivery of memorable locations, setpieces, characters, and weaponry. The peaks and valleys hit at just the right times. Meanwhile, for the most part, I feel UC4 is an awkwardly constructed slogfest.

I really hope TLOU2 finds the right balance similar to it's predecessor. Good pacing is a keystone of any potential GOAT.

tr00per

Some great ideas here.

I echo the sentiments of enemy infighting and enemy variety and AI. I also agree that the plank/ladder puzzles became kind of old after a while, so if there is something like that then please let it be more diverse or challenging.

And definitely don't lose the survival aspects. The careful resource management and strategy are one of my favorite things about the last of us. Also the weight of the guns and the audiovisual impact of hits should stay as they are.

I would like to see more optional dialogue options.

One thing I thought of is in Life is Strange there are these optional moments where you can sit down and take in the scenery and the main character reflects on things that are going on. I think that could be a cool addition to the game.

To be quite honest, I'm not very sure.

I think the game's overall game design could afford some tweaking here and there.

Like, I would love to be able to open locked doors with axes or crowbars instead of shivs, but that would mean they need to tweak economy of items to balance out the resources needed to find good loot. Same with the fundamental economy of shivs as melee kills resources, etc.

TLoU had a very game-y design of game economy with limited supplies that contributed to different components that led to a rather well balanced game of resource management that never felt overbearing, but it did make parts of the game feel less natural. I think there's room to expand on that and change things up a bit, but it needs to be done subtly.

Kalentan

One thing I thought of is in Life is Strange there are these optional moments where you can sit down and take in the scenery and the main character reflects on things that are going on. I think that could be a cool addition to the game.

There were moments kind already like this in both TLOU and UC4.

Lots of little moments you can find if you explore the environments.

Rajang

Pacing is definitely a huge part of why I prefer certain entries in the Uncharted series over others. UC2 is still the king in that regard, with UC4 lagging way behind because of its extremely lobsided focus on uninteresting walking and platforming sequences.

TLOU1, like UC2 and RE4, is another game that had exceptional pacing. The beginning in Boston has a little too much wheelspinning, but right around the time you get to Bill's town is when the game finds a very consistent groove. A solid delivery of memorable locations, setpieces, characters, and weaponry. The peaks and valleys hit at just the right times. Meanwhile, for the most part, I feel UC4 is an awkwardly constructed slogfest.

I really hope TLOU2 finds the right balance similar to it's predecessor. Good pacing is a keystone of any potential GOAT.

Agreed 100%.

tr00per

There were moments kind already like this in both TLOU and UC4.

Lots of little moments you can find if you explore the environments.

Maybe I didn't word it very well but I don't mean the optional dialogue, it's more of an inner monologue which offers a look into the character's thoughts that we otherwise might not get. Plus the camera angles will switch around while you sit.

It's a similar concept but it could be a small addition with some potential. Plus it could make for great screenshots lol

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
It's been a while since I played but as far as I can remember there were no major things that bothered me so I think if it was more of the same then I'd be happy. Although I would like to see more of an RPG approach. Stats and more skills. Ability to customise clothing and mod weapons. Better AI is a must. Get rid of listen mode

Vuze

Well said, I wholeheartedly agree.

I don't know whether it was possible for TLOU, but I'd love to be able to finish the game only with stealth mechanics.

Gurish

Human vs infected A.I battles like what was in the DLC.

This is pretty much confirmed obviously, and those will be at a much bigger scale.

I think this franchise got such a big potential with more added power, with the scale, actually riding a horse in a big and convincing environment, with the amount of detail in the environment, enemy variety (it was a big limitation technically with the first game), biggest jump should be in the AI, this is a very demanding franchise technically in its potential, possibilities about where do they want to advance it are pretty much endless.

tr00per

In regards to listen mode, I don't think it was a bad idea. I mean in reality it's exactly what you would do to assess what you cannot see, and the longer you lived joel's lifestyle, the better you would get at it. And for the sequel, especially since
it takes place a few years in the future
you can imagine Joel imparted his survival skills onto Ellie.

However, as far as the game goes it was pretty overpowered. So perhaps it could be only available on the lower difficulties, or if you keep dying in an encounter.

...Or, you know, just don't use it.

Neff

More of the same without Ellie or Joel.

I know I'm not getting that, but I can live with it.

TLoU had a very game-y design of game economy with limited supplies that contributed to different components that led to a rather well balanced game of resource management that never felt overbearing, but it did make parts of the game feel less natural.

I'll take game-y over natural any day. TLoU's dedication to being a videogame at heart, with dynamic risk/reward rules despite mostly being lauded for its story and characters is admirable. Dilute that and it's just another cinematic AAA wankfest.

Well said, I wholeheartedly agree.

I don't know whether it was possible for TLOU, but I'd love to be able to finish the game only with stealth mechanics.
Stealth, hostage-taking, and setting humans against Infected (or even humans against each other) would be my preference - I like being forced to mix up my tactics but I'd enjoy it if every scenario had at least one solution (versus humans, anyway) that wasn't just killing all enemies. I'm okay with compulsory combat scenarios against the infected.

Spitballing but scaling back listen mode to something less OP. For example, instead of black and white sonar vision, instead enhance the character's hearing and amplify audible sounds for detection (and perhaps a small visual indicator, like the ripples you see in TLOU MP).

I'd also like to see challenges and encounters that involve environmental hazards with numerous types of enemies. It'd be awesome to set up traps using infected to attack human targets.

Top Bottom