• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTC| Delicious cooking not in thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Memories of Emanon + Wandering Emanon 1-21

h0062lyp3x.jpg

So this woman has seen some shit. 3 billion years of shit, in fact. Emanon reincarnates through a daughter every generation, with all of her memories intact, and the mother losing recollection of herself as Emanon. Never able to settle, she wanders the world and takes in the memories, leaving all behind, including family (see above image).

Some absolutely stunning artwork and scenery. Nudie bits are common but never feel out of place or pandering. Pages and pages of scenery shots with no word bubbles are common.

Now I did read it a little backwards, Memories last, but I didn't really lose any impact from it, in fact, they tie in a bit well I thought.

Memories of Emanon was the original manga based on Shinji Kajio's novel, told from the perspective of a sci-fi nerd who meets her on a ship. She tells him her story, and being an open-mind accepts the story and theorizes on her purpose in the context of history and evolution. When he wakes up and the ship is at port, she's vanished.

While he was going into his evolution spiel, I was a little worried he was gonna explain the end game of the plot, but I think it's a little out of the scope of the next manga, Wandering Emanon, which is the continuing wanderings (duh) of Emanon and her point of view.

I honestly felt Memories made Emanon feel a bit more human than she did in Wandering, I saw a more cheery and conversational side of her, and Wandering can be more cold and detached (especially when she's about to bail). But even then, she's clearly capable of loving and connecting to people, and these are some of the most heartwarming parts of the story.

Thanks to John John Kowalski
's avatar
for recommending and introducing me to this fine piece of work. I recommend it as well if you want something a little laid back but still with an interesting premise.

Grand Blue 1-22

That's a lot of censor bubbles. There's a serious amount of drinking for a diving manga too. It's really nice that the girls kind of balance out the guys and get in on the insanity a bit as well. Aina and Chisa are great though the tension between China and Iori is awkward considering they're cousins. Then again, it's less awkward than Nanaka. Jeez, she's creepy. Tokita having a girlfriend is so strange considering he's drinking and naked at the shop all the time. When does he have time to see her!? Azusa is pretty amazing. Kouhei is a serious otaku.

Chapter 15 is hilarious in that regard

Jintor

Thanks to John John Kowalski
's avatar
for recommending and introducing me to this fine piece of work. I recommend it as well if you want something a little laid back but still with an interesting premise.

Oh shit. I actually have Memories of Etamon on my shelf for some reason.

Brothers of Japan

From Taiyo Matsumoto. I like his longer stories (Zero, Ping Pong, Takemitsu Samurai, Number Five) but I can't say the same with his short stories, and this is another volume of short stories. He tries to captures a mood, a feeling, more than tell a normal story, and I found out that his very particular art & narration style (like a series of barely related still photographies) sometimes doesn't help to reach the mood he is trying to establish, like in his first story about freedom, speed and lack of worry. His art really doesn't transmit it, though in others it works alright.

The range used here is pretty varied, to mention the ones I liked, we have a small child discovering the fear of death, or two knights struggling to kill each other in a desert of death, or we have a gorilla bike racer with a pregnant woman story that is played in a delightfully straightforward way. But also chapters like the titular 'Brother of Japan' which is basically weird white noise, the too normal and unconclusive 'Families of Japan' or the crazy senseless 'Love Monkey Show' makes it the average to go lower, I didn't care for them.

Kurita

An editor from Shonen Magazine got arrested because he's suspected of having killed his wife. He used to work on Attack on Titan apparently.
Well...

Zweizer

Banned
Part of me know's i'm going to regret this.... but what the hell! What else you got Zweizer?

My standards start somewhere between ShindoL and Horihone Saizou and escalate from here~

This news just came up over Kotaku.

A former Attack on Titan editor has been arrested for murder

Reading further he used to be the chief editor.

Huh, his former editor is Korean? I wonder what kind of relationship Isayama had with him considering he's a Japanese war crimes apologist.

Still, that's a terrible tragedy.

Shengar

Huh, his former editor is Korean? I wonder what kind of relationship Isayama had with him considering he's a Japanese war crimes apologist.

Still, that's a terrible tragedy.

That depends on the view of the editor too though. Not everyone hold historical grudges.

Corpse Party - Book of Shadows 10

Remove the bandages
→ Try to reach the bucket ←

Oh right. This choice. Her life expectancy's low anyway, and the human pincushion treatment is mildly more amusing than the delayed alternative. Think I've said it before, but Mayu and Morishige's backstory/interactions are zzzzz

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
I bought this just because of the cool art and the premise, but I haven't read it yet.

Anyone read it?
Oh,Tokusatsu Gagaga
i read it. Surprisingly funny and i can relate to the main character. Especially the part about hiding her hobby

Akame ga kill end

Its alright

Psycho Staff

I wanted something different than seinen/josei short stories, so today I read Pyscho Staff from Mizukami Satoshi, more known for being the author of Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer. Pity this is a pretty crappy manga.

It's basically muh effort and hard work, the story. Oh, it's overbearing touching again and again the same idea, and it already made my eyes roll on the first appearance, being so clichéd in manga.
Speaking of cliches, no one in the story behaves in a believable way, it's all typical light hearted manga behavior. Which is somewhat amusing I suppose, but it isn't real comedy, as in jokes and puns and humor, that would have been nice, but just senseless manga characterization because we are in a manga. And it doesn't work very well because it clashes with the backdrop of a real war being fought in an alien planet (though we never see it).
Also minus points for name dropping Lovecraft names just because.

Zweizer

Banned
That depends on the view of the editor too though. Not everyone hold historical grudges.

well if he work in japan chance are he is neutral about it

Yeah that's true. It's unlikely that it mattered much ultimately, since they've worked together for a long while.

Standards starting with ShindoL? Zweizer pls.

Whatever you can say about ShindoL, you have to at least admit that none of his stuff leaves you indifferent!

It's probably crazy scientific organization that will put anyone looking up on that to their watch list.

Eh, there are worse fates to have~

Zweizer

Banned
Dead Dead Demon's Dededededestruction ch40.5

The poor doggo.

DEAD Tube ch29

Eh, no one's beating Mashiro. Too bad for the tan muscle girl.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
Alright, I'm almost done planning and packing for my trip. All I need to figure out now is how to find Kobayashi Yuu and get her to date me.

The easiest way to get anyone to love is gaslighting. Break into their home and set up a spooky sound system and stuff to bang against the walls. Then come in pretending to be a priest and "exercise" the demon. She goes, "How can I ever repay you!" You go, "Well, I wouldn't say no to dinner *Wink*" and now that the ice is broken be yourself but also a yourself that's been a priest for twenty years. It'll be like that old Japanese story of the person hiding in a cabinet when your not looking and then at night they come down and steal all the food! Only more romantic.

The easiest way to get anyone to love is gaslighting. Break into their home and set up a spooky sound system and stuff to bang against the walls. Then come in pretending to be a priest and "exercise" the demon. She goes, "How can I ever repay you!" You go, "Well, I wouldn't say no to dinner *Wink*" and now that the ice is broken be yourself but also a yourself that's been a priest for twenty years. It'll be like that old Japanese story of the person hiding in a cabinet when your not looking and then at night they come down and steal all the food! Only more romantic.

Can I steal her food too?

Marche90

how the fuck did that dragon have kids with a human girl

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HotSkittyOnWailordAction

They supposedly did the deed before Mine was left in a coma

As for the chapter...

Akame Ga Kill - End

Eh, for what it's worth, I enjoyed the ending somewhat. Too much fetishizing the torture of the PM, but oh well. Also, considering how the story went, Tatsumi had the best ending he could have hoped for. You know, considering the whole dragon thing.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HotSkittyOnWailordAction

They supposedly did the deed before Mine was left in a coma

As for the chapter...

Akame Ga Kill - End

Eh, for what it's worth, I enjoyed the ending somewhat. Too much fetishizing the torture of the PM, but oh well. Also, considering how the story went, Tatsumi had the best ending he could have hoped for. You know, considering the whole dragon thing.

The hilarious part was Akame saying she saw it happen (for convenience's sake)

sasuke_91

Memories of Emanon + Wandering Emanon 1-21

Waaait a minute. I read this One Shot a few years ago and thought it was pretty good. I didn't know this was continued as a manga.

Is this good or is it like Koe no Katachi where the continuation of the story is clearly inferior (well at least in my opinion)?

Waaait a minute. I read this One Shot a few years ago and thought it was pretty good. I didn't know this was continued as a manga.

Is this good or is it like Koe no Katachi where the continuation of the story is clearly inferior (well at least in my opinion)?

It repeats itself a little but but it's absolute quality in my book

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom