• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eiji Aonuma talks Skyward Sword in Nintendo Power interview

watkinzez

GCX said:
They don't really have any excuses not to do it.

With previous Zeldas they have always said "midi gives you DYNAMIC MUSIC maaan" but then Mario Galaxy came and had all those dynamic orchestrated magic tricks.

Crossfading is dynamic, I guess. Most of that stuff was left to the MIDI tracks.

WillyFive

I hope the whole game is more like a field than a dungeon. I hate dungeons.

olimpia84 said:
For some reason I'm not as excited as I was when TP was announced. Still, I will get this day one.

Me too. I think it could be because there are more exciting games also coming out, like Donkey Kong and Epic Mickey.

sinxtanx

Orchestrated music have been confirmed.
I believe Miyamoto said something along the lines of:
"After what we did with Mario, how could we not do the same with Zelda?"

Now if it will be COMPLETELY orchestrated we don't know. But there will be orchestrated music.

Far too early to judge the game. We've seen, what?
glimpses of two areas
a handful of items
a handful of enemies
one miniboss
the controls
Link

Not much to go on here.

Cygnus X-1

Mantrid said:
I have fear that this sounds far too similar to Zelda's of old: I.E. Formulaic.

I hope that Nintendo do what they have promised and change this game a lot from previous incarnations. From the build and trailer shown so far, the game play mechanics look much the same as the old games.

I am not sure changing the environments or the scale of the environments will be enough of a shift to keep anyone tiring of the base structure of Zelda so I am seriously hoping that this demo is an illusion to keep us away from finding the truth about the scale of the changes intended.

Plus, the fucking art style in this game is hideous IMO, much prefered the art style in Wind Waker and was willing to live with TPP in the hope it would bring back a bit of the OOT magic, it didn't.

Change the game, it needs to evolve.

Yeah, I second that. The degree of evolution I imagined and hoped is far bigger then what is actually proposed (or seems to be proposed) in Skyward Sword. I opened a thread on this and from the discussion people seem generally to not like big changes eventually.

civilstrife said:
Orchestrated music? That's all I want to know. I trust them to get the rest right.

It was confirmed HERE

I can't believe there are people in here saying that Skyward Sword is going to be formulaic. If SS only mixed up the dungeon and field design it would be a radical departure from all of the other 3D Zeldas. But...gasp...that's not the only change they're making! Skyward Sword also has a completely new control scheme. What is that you're telling me? The new Zelda is going to have both a new layout design AND a new control scheme?!? And yet the only conclusion you come to is that the game is going to be formulaic. It's called logic people, use it.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
ShockingAlberto said:
Less than a page in before "Still looks like OoT to me" started.

Of all the games people could target for being formulaic, they target this one? The one with MotionPlus swordplay, a new graphical style, and some significant structural changes (confirmed in the OP)? Not Gears 3 or Killzone 3, games that could easily be mistaken for their immediate prequels? Some people...

Mantrid

Banned
LegendofJoe said:
I can't believe there are people in here saying that Skyward Sword is going to be formulaic. If SS only mixed up the dungeon and field design it would be a radical departure from all of the other 3D Zeldas. But...gasp...that's not the only change they're making! Skyward Sword also has a completely new control scheme. What is that you're telling me? The new Zelda is going to have both a new layout design AND a new control scheme?!? And yet the only conclusion you come to is that the game is going to be formulaic. It's called logic people, use it.

LOL, the control scheme is just the interface to the actions, if all the actions are the same then nothing has changed!

Logic, use it. I bet you just love retro fitted waggle on old games!

Mantrid said:
LOL, the control scheme is just the interface to the actions, if all the actions are the same then nothing has changed!

Logic, use it.

And yet the actions are not all the same. SS is going to be the first 3D Zelda where you can run and jump. And we have yet to see all the items, which are guaranteed to introduce new gameplay.

Mantrid

Banned
LegendofJoe said:
And yet the actions are not all the same. SS is going to be the first 3D Zelda where you can run and jump. And we have yet to see all the items which are guaranteed to introduce new gameplay.

Paradigm Shift!

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Mantrid[B said:
]LOL, the control scheme is just the interface to the actions, if all the actions are the same then nothing has changed! [/B]

Logic, use it. I bet you just love retro fitted waggle on old games!

:lol Right. Donkey Kong Jungle Beat might use a bongo drum as a controller but DK still runs and jumps! Nothing has changed! I suppose Mario 64 DS didn't change (for the worse) either? Or Metroid Prime 3?

Vinci

Danish
Kilrogg said:
Why is it that with the very Zelda game that could make swordfighting awesome Aonuma must introduce parts where you can't use your sword? Fuck you.

Yup. Still an issue for me as well: "Hey, we finally made a Zelda game that's fun to play again! I've got an idea: Take away what makes it fun and replace it with tedium." Again: I'm more than willing to eat crow when this game comes out and this segment is untold awesome, but yeah, it sounds like a case of taking two steps back just for the sake of doing so.

Bizzyb

Banned
sinxtanx said:
Orchestrated music have been confirmed.
I believe Miyamoto said something along the lines of:
"After what we did with Mario, how could we not do the same with Zelda?"

Now if it will be COMPLETELY orchestrated we don't know. But there will be orchestrated music.

Far too early to judge the game. We've seen, what?
glimpses of two areas
a handful of items
a handful of enemies
one miniboss
the controls
Link

Not much to go on here.

I don't think anyone's judging it, calling it a bad game, but being unimpressed by what's been shown so far is completely fair and reasonable

Mantrid

Banned
Ushojax said:
:lol Right. Donkey Kong Jungle Beat might use a bongo drum as a controller but DK still runs and jumps! Nothing has changed! I suppose Mario 64 DS didn't change (for the worse) either? Or Metroid Prime 3?

What are you actually trying to say?

Mantrid said:
Not all the actions are the same, we saw Link doing sword moves that he hasn't ever done before, some of which are only because of the controls.

Vinci

Danish
EmCeeGramr said:
Not all the actions are the same, we saw Link doing sword moves that he hasn't ever done before, some of which are only because of the controls.

Yeah, I'm not sure what the point is of bitching about Link killing shit with a sword. That's kind of what he does - the fact that they've seemingly made this more fulfilling is a good thing.

dkeane

EmCeeGramr said:
Not to mention that all the enemies and puzzles will be designed around the new control mechanics.

Mantrid

Banned
EmCeeGramr said:

But that's just an incremental improvement, the same micro-improvements they have applied to every 3D zelda. Not the overhaul that has been talked about by Nintendo.

Look, the game may be a good Zelda game, it aint out yet, but it certainly does not look anywhere near different enough to be considered any great departure than the games we have played for the last 10 years!

And yes, I know we have only seen a little, but this was E3, they are supposed to SELL the game to us, they didn't to me!

Mantrid said:
But that's just an incremental improvement, the same micro-improvements they have applied to every 3D zelda. Not the overhaul that has been talked about by Nintendo.
The only overhaul they've talked about is to the overall flow of the game to the field and dungeons.

If you were expecting steampunk future Zelda with laser guns in a totally different genre, then it's your fault for not being informed about what was promised.

Mantrid said:

Look, the game may be a good Zelda game, it aint out yet, but it certainly does not look anywhere near different enough to be considered any great departure than the games we have played for the last 10 years!

And yes, I know we have only seen a little, but this was E3, they are supposed to SELL the game to us, they didn't to me!
What would you consider a great departure that would not be better off being a different series?

Mantrid

Banned
EmCeeGramr said:
The only overhaul they've talked about is to the overall flow of the game to the field and dungeons.

If you were expecting steampunk future Zelda with laser guns in a totally different genre, then it's your fault for not being informed about what was promised.

Firstly, you haven't got a clue what I am expecting, don't try to put words in my mouth.

I am expecting what I was told...

"Shigeru Miyamoto has stated that Twilight Princess will be "without a doubt, the last Zelda game as you know it in its present form."

I want something new, as promised. Now quote your source that says the ONLY thing they are changing is the overall flow of the game to fields and dungeons or STFU.

Mantrid said:
Firstly, you haven't got a clue what I am expecting, don't try to put words in my mouth.

"Shigeru Miyamoto has stated that Twilight Princess will be "without a doubt, the last Zelda game as you know it in its present form."

I want something new, as promised. Now quote your source that says the ONLY thing they are changing is the overall flow of the game to fields and dungeons or STFU.
First: Shigeru Miyamoto hasn't made a Zelda game since Ocarina of Time. That quotation is also from four years ago.

Second: Eiji Aonuma has only ever talked about the dungeon and field differences when asked how this game will be different from past ones.

Third: I said that that's the only change they've talked about, not that they've said it's the only change. Those are two different things.

Mantrid

Banned
ShockingAlberto said:
What would you consider a great departure that would not be better off being a different series?

Did I say I was a game designer? Where did you get that impression?

That's what I am paying my money for! to see something new! Just because I had the audacity to question the scale of said changes does not mean I dislike the Zelda mythology, etc. I want a Zelda game that feels new that is all. I have seen nothing to indicate that is the case.

Mantrid said:

That's what I am paying my money for! to see something new! Just because I had the audacity to question the scale of said changes does not mean I dislike the Zelda mythology, etc. I want a Zelda game that feels new that is all. I have seen nothing to indicate that is the case.
...I was just asking a question.

Calm down.

Mantrid

Banned
EmCeeGramr said:
First: Shigeru Miyamoto hasn't made a Zelda game since Ocarina of Time.

Second: The guy who does make Zelda games now has only ever talked about the dungeon and field differences when asked how this game will be different from past ones.

Lazy answer. The "Guy" you are talking about is Eiji Aonuma. He has talked about much more than changing the dungeons and fields. Do a little research.

Vinci

Danish
Mantrid said:

I'd honestly be happier if this game felt more retro than new (ie. 'pre-OoT').

Mantrid said:
Lazy answer. The "Guy" you are talking about is Eiji Aonuma. He has talked about much more than changing the dungeons and fields. Do a little research.
See my edit.

And source these statements, since you only could bring up Shigeru's statements earlier.

jett

D-Member
Mantrid said:

We haven't seen anything regarding the structure of the game. Just a demo built for the purpose of showcasing the new motion controls.

Mantrid said:
Multiple quotes from EA and SM regarding SOME of the what I consider to be fairly minor changes in the game so far...

http://zelda.wikia.com/wiki/The_Legend_of_Zelda:_Skyward_Sword
However, he stated that he does not "necessarily think it will change that drastically" but that the Zelda franchise needs "some big new unique ideas" and that the developers are "very focused on trying to find those ideas".
In Nintendo Power's August 2009 issue, Miyamoto claimed that the game "[is not] going to be that radically different" than past games in the series.
"We're making efforts regarding the total flow of the Zelda game," said Aonuma, "So far, the basic flow of the Zelda games is you're exploring a field, you go to a dungeon, you conquer it and return to the field. We're looking at altering that traditional flow. That's all I can share, and I can't say more until E3 next year."
Because of the 1:1 swordplay of the MotionPlus accessory, the way to solve puzzles depends on the way that you kill off enemies.
Sooooo... you just proved me right?

A.CHAP

Banned
Mantrid said:

It seems to me that WM+ is going to make a massive change to how the game is played, the controls for every item link uses will be completly different to previous games.

I dont see how this can be anything but the biggest change to a Zelda game since OoT.

The amount of motion control sets this apart from any games ive played before (excl. RS2) never mind other zelda games.

[Nintex]

sinxtanx said:
Not much to go on here.
Strange isn't it, considering Aonuma and friends have been working on this game for 4 years now. I'm not sure why but the Zelda team is slowly turning into Nintendo's redheaded stepchild. Spirit Tracks was a good game but not as memorable as other Zelda games. SkyWard Sword has a nice style but the motion controls simply don't work as good as you want to. At the same time Sakamoto is exploring new concepts and higher production values with Metroid: Other M, while Koizumi has reached god status with Galaxy and made Flipnote Studio in his spare time.

MYE

Mantrid said:
I have fear that this sounds far too similar to Zelda's of old: I.E. Formulaic.

I hope that Nintendo do what they have promised and change this game a lot from previous incarnations. From the build and trailer shown so far, the game play mechanics look much the same as the old games.

I am not sure changing the environments or the scale of the environments will be enough of a shift to keep anyone tiring of the base structure of Zelda so I am seriously hoping that this demo is an illusion to keep us away from finding the truth about the scale of the changes intended.

Plus, the fucking art style in this game is hideous IMO, much prefered the art style in Wind Waker and was willing to live with TPP in the hope it would bring back a bit of the OOT magic, it didn't.

Change the game, it needs to evolve.

I'm glad its disapointing you

Vinci

Danish
[Nintex] said:
At the same time Sakamoto is exploring new concepts and higher production values with Metroid: Other M, while Koizumi has reached god status with Galaxy.

Yes, Aonuma isn't Koizumi, which is too bad. Thankfully, he's not Sakamoto either. One out of two ain't bad.

Mantrid said:
Not really, you just contradicted yourself by posting SELECTIVE comments that both sold and shit all over your point.
Point them out. You're posting links and then not quoting or pointing out what's on the page that supports your argument, and now not pointing out supposed contradictions.

In 2007, Aonuma said that he doesn't "necessarily think [SS] will change that drastically."

I honestly looked for a quotation along the lines of what you're talking about WRT Aonuma promising something totally new, and it's simply not there. The closest thing is his "big new ideas" line, and we've already seen some of those.

You keep arguing that it's in there but so far you've only been able to produce that one Miyamoto quotation.

Mantrid

Banned
EmCeeGramr said:
Point them out. You're posting links and then not quoting or pointing out what's on the page that supports your argument, and now not pointing out supposed contradictions.

In 2007, Aonuma said that he doesn't "necessarily think [SS] will change that drastically."

I honestly looked for a quotation along the lines of what you're talking about WRT Aonuma promising something totally new, and it's simply not there. The closest thing is his "big new ideas" line, and we've already seen some of those.

You keep arguing that it's in there but so far you've only been able to produce that one Miyamoto quotation.

I did mate, but I will do so again for clarity: "Shigeru Miyamoto has stated that Twilight Princess will be "without a doubt, the last Zelda game as you know it in its present form."

Mantrid said:
I did mate, but I will do so again for clarity: "Shigeru Miyamoto has stated that Twilight Princess will be "without a doubt, the last Zelda game as you know it in its present form."
And it is apparently as this new zelda's flow is completely being reworked.

[Nintex] said:
I went to a post-E3 event that NoE hosted and got to play a bunch of Wii games and the 3DS.

So you played a demo with unfinished code and know exactly how the final game is going to be.

Mantrid

Banned
flintstryker said:
So..maybe its just me but i am failing to see the problem here.

I don't have a problem, I just stated that the changes seen so far are not in line with what Nintendo have stated. That's it.

It may be the case that the game is massively overhauled come release and we all get a new experience in the Zelda world and I certainly hope this is the case, but I fear it won't be.

Mantrid said:
And then later both he and the game's producer went back on that comment (or it's possible that by "in its present form" Shigeru meant something different).

Why you were still expecting something completely revolutionary, after the game's producer said in 2007 that it wouldn't be drastically different, is strange.

Top Bottom