• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT| GL HF GG

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, so I've never played an RTS before. Like, ever.

Finished the campaign with some bumps, cleared all the challenges, learned my hotkeys, and before jumping online I decided to play against the AI.

I've fought it up to Medium and while I handily win, my APM is in the 20s. Ouch.

Given my lack of experience with the genre I'm trying not to beat myself up, but I can't imagine response time like that getting me very far. Any tips? The whole "make workers/don't get supply blocked" is a work in progress. Even if I feel I'm doing OK there, and watching replays is great for strategic advice, my mechanics are clearly lacking.

Anything I can do other than "just play more"? Or should I shut up and just keep playing? :lol

V_Arnold

Mistwalker said:
OK, so I've never played an RTS before. Like, ever.

Finished the campaign with some bumps, cleared all the challenges, learned my hotkeys, and before jumping online I decided to play against the AI.

I've fought it up to Medium and while I handily win, my APM is in the 20s. Ouch.

Given my lack of experience with the genre I'm trying not to beat myself up, but I can't imagine response time like that getting me very far. Any tips? The whole "make workers/don't get supply blocked" is a work in progress. Even if I feel I'm doing OK there, and watching replays is great for strategic advice, my mechanics are clearly lacking.

Anything I can do other than "just play more"? Or should I shut up and just keep playing? :lol

Well, a few advice:

1. Make sure you minimize unit downtime. That means: you wont need an insane APM to have good macro. What you need is to plan ahead. For example, when you send an scv/probe to build something, get a habit of while he goes to build, shift+click back on the minerals. Once he finishes the building/starts warping, it will automatically go back to its work. Once you are used to it, your money will start to go up.

2. Make sure you have waypoints set to both units and builders - builders set to minerals, units set to where you want to have map control currently.

3. Try to push out sometimes, to get the hang of when you can "safely" poke in and attack, without dangering your whole army's life. Basically, if you keep pumping out units, and your opponent tries to exp/tech at the same time, you have a few minutes when you can simply crush him, if you meet him at his base. Once practiced, you will get to know when this will happen, and later you can even learn to build expansions when you move out with your army to do the push.

4. Practice very little micro first, like watch your units closely, and when one of your units under fire starts to get to red (10-20-25% hp), move it further back so his attackers choose a different target. Then move it back again. This is the first step for good micro.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
2w24or4.jpg

so thats what day[9] meant when he said not to play on tilt.
[from last night]

good thing i had an overhead of wins. :\

fanboi

Banned
Pandaman said:
2w24or4.jpg

[from last night]

*high five!*

I did the same...

For the swarm

Also, this is the last day for round two games in the EU tournament!

GOGOGOGOG

Pandaman said:
http://i37.tinypic.com/2w24or4.jpg[IMG]
[from last night]

good thing i had an overhead of wins. :\[/QUOTE]

OUCH!!

[QUOTE=fanboi]*high five!*

I did the same...

For the swarm[/QUOTE]

:lol :D :D

Pandaman said:
[from last night]

might be a bit picky but I think that was everyone's favourite and fastest thinking zerg, Psy.

ultron87

So Starcraft fried my video card. My roommate left it on the menu screen for a bit and now my screen is constantly covered with horrid graphical abnormalities/no picture at all.

God damnit.

Obviously I should've done the text file fix to cap the frame rate on the menus, but how the fuck haven't they patched this problem out yet?

ultron87 said:
So Starcraft fried my video card. My roommate left it on the menu screen for a bit and now my screen is constantly covered with horrid graphical abnormalities/no picture at all.

God damnit.

Obviously I should've done the text file fix to cap the frame rate on the menus, but how the fuck haven't they patched this problem out yet?

obviously Blizzard want to take in enough information, and don't want to hastily respond to player concerns before any significant action is taken.

I'm personally not worried about any balance as a zerg, any buffs or nerfs will merely move me up or down a little while still winning 50% of my matches.

h0pper

only Fernando's ripe melons are good enough for me
ultron87 said:

God damnit.

punch your roommate in the mouth.

Deadman

F#A#Oo said:
DIMAGA is such an idiot! Lucifron had no SCV's...instead of finishing the job off he relents and allows Lucifron to rebuild SCV's back and beyond... :(

Yeah that was disappointing, although the way he just won the second game was pretty awesome.

ultron87

h0pper said:
punch your roommate in the mouth.

No, I think I'd rather find someone from Blizzard to punch in the mouth for not patching an issue that they've apparently known about since the game released. Especially considering they've released 2 patches and haven't decided that the issue that fucking melts people's video cards is worth taking time out of their days to fix.

Fucking fuck fuck.

(Sorry, kind of mad about this).

Hugbot

ultron87 said:
No, I think I'd rather find someone from Blizzard to punch in the mouth for not patching an issue that they've apparently known about since the game released. Especially considering they've released 2 patches and haven't decided that the issue that fucking melts people's video cards is worth taking time out of their days to fix.

Fucking fuck fuck.

I'd be pissed off too, especially since the fix is two lines in a variables file. Adding that to a patch would be nothing!

h0pper

Hugbot said:
I'd be pissed off too, especially since the fix is two lines in a variables file. Adding that to a patch would be nothing!

is there a walkthrough for this anywhere? I didn't know about it and would like to update my file .

zlatko

Banned
ultron87 said:

Fucking fuck fuck.

What do you have to do to prevent this from happening? I'll be getting the game soon enough, but I def. don't want this to happen to me.

Hugbot

h0pper said:
is there a walkthrough for this anywhere? I didn't know about it and would like to update my file .
It's 0 effort, go to your Documents/Stacraft II folder, find variables.txt, and add these lines at the bottom(no quotes).
"
frameratecapglue=30
frameratecap=60
"

Can someone explain this to me? I want to get this but am unsure about whether it will run on my laptop. I posted something the other day and a few people said it should but I want to be positive so I used that can you run it? website and this came up

Capture-5.png

Everything else is good but it says fail yet everything underneath looks good.

FYI I'm completely computer ignorant. :lol

AwesomeSyrup said:
I don't know if you mean it won't run at all or if it just looks ugly. :lol

Your best bet is to get a trial card and try it out. You may be able to squeak by on the lowest settings but it's going to be rough.

I saw some reports of people running the game with integrated graphics.

V_Arnold said:
Well, a few advice:

1. Make sure you minimize unit downtime.

2. Make sure you have waypoints set to both units and builders

3. Try to push out sometimes, to get the hang of when you can "safely" poke in and attack, without dangering your whole army's life.

4. Practice very little micro first
Thanks for the pointers, I think number 3 is the toughest for beginners like myself...will keep working at it. Much appreciated!

h0pper said:
oh.. wait. this only affects intel intergrated cards?
that is generally correct. in my experience, Intel graphics flop running this game. I have a tablet PC running intel GMA graphics and even the lowest settings were very poor.

meanwhile, fairly modern Nvidia integrated graphics (9400M, for example) run the game.

if you have Intel integrated, I don't know if I'd take the chance. is there a demo?

Dreams-Visions said:
that is generally correct. in my experience, Intel graphics flop running this game. I have a tablet PC running intel GMA graphics and even the lowest settings were very poor.

meanwhile, fairly modern Nvidia integrated graphics (9400M, for example) run the game.

if you have Intel integrated, I don't know if I'd take the chance. is there a demo?

There isn't a demo but if he could score a 7 hour trial card he could try it out.

Felix Lighter said:
Your best bet is to get a trial card and try it out. You may be able to squeak by on the lowest settings but it's going to be rough.

I saw some reports of people running the game with integrated graphics.

Hey AwesomeSyrup, if someone else hasn't already, PM me and I'll hook you up with a trial so you can test whether or not you can even run SC2 on your current rig.

h0pper

Dreams-Visions said:

i'm fine then. I thought this was an issue affecting all video cards. Maybe I'll throw the code in just to be safe.

Yaweee

Felix Lighter said:
There isn't a demo but if he could score a 7 hour trial card he could try it out.

There's still downloads for the beta and simple cracks that let you watch replays, as well. That should be a decent gauge.

ultron87

h0pper said:
i'm fine then. I thought this was an issue affecting all video cards. Maybe I'll throw the code in just to be safe.

I think we're talking about two different issues.

Dreams-Visions is just talking about the general performance of the game. Integrated graphics probably aren't going to run it the best.

The issue that fried my card is something completely different: http://gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2010/07/28/blizzard-confirms-starcraft-ii-overheating-bug.aspx To be safe I'd suggest putting the variables in like this article suggests.

h0pper

ultron87 said:
I think we're talking about two different issues.

Dreams-Visions is just talking about the general performance of the game. Integrated graphics probably aren't going to run it the best.

The issue that fried my card is something completely different: http://gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2010/07/28/blizzard-confirms-starcraft-ii-overheating-bug.aspx To be safe I'd suggest putting the variables in like this article suggests.

will do. thanks for the clarification.

naib

Holy shit. As a total noob, these matches are really inspiring to watch.

Looks like a hell of a lot more fun when you know what the hell you're doing.
:lol at the pylon block. New to me.

Yaweee

GhostRidah said:
wow marauders do wayyyy to much damage holy shit

AGainst non-armored targets I think they are overall less DPS than marines.

The issue is that +10 bonus against armored targets. Buildings count as armored.

I just think the fact that you can mass nothing but marauders and take out a mixed army is a little op, the bonus damage on buildings needs to be cut in half at least. Thats a opinion from a noob though :lol

Telosfortelos

Advocate for the People
Yaweee said:
AGainst non-armored targets I think they are overall less DPS than marines.

The issue is that +10 bonus against armored targets. Buildings count as armored.
Yeah, he really should have gone for more charge-lots and quicker psi-storm, with maybe some immortals out of the robo facility. Stalker/colossus composition will always be terrible against that many marauders.

I do love blink stalkers on that map though. It's a frustrating map to attack on with only ground units, and there are so many points where you can blink up for quick harass.

spazzfish

GhostRidah said:
I just think the fact that you can mass nothing but marauders and take out a mixed army is a little op, the bonus damage on buildings needs to be cut in half at least. Thats a opinion from a noob though :lol

massed marines are just as good.

ultron87

That game showed just how dangerous it is let a Zerg get a big clump of Mutalisks.

Dunno why Demuslim didn't pop out a Thor or two in the time he had his Armory up.

blitz64

medivacs are giving me a problem.

I build the Marine, Maruader, medivacs and group them all together. As I charge into battle, my medivacs go flying first and dies first. Is there an option just like warcraft3 where they can group walk together? I can't find it.

Or I can put medivacs in a separate group but I hate microing the medivacs. What sucks is I can't use the follow command with medivacs. If i click a unit, it doesn't follow. Instead medivacs picks up the unit which drives me crazy. I really wish there were medic walking units like the campaign mode instead of flying medivacs.

Any solution to the my MMM microing problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom