• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Double Dragon IV |OT| The masters of the art of Ssetsuken return!

Fularu

Banned
EGM cover the PC-Engine version, but didn't do it justice.

jsYXi0i.jpg

Double Dragon II: The Revenge (PC Engine) English Subtitled Playthrough

The SCD version is crazy expensive (like 200$ expensive) though.

Solaire of Astora

Death by black JPN
I want this!

Crazy ?, but any idea how large the DL file size will be for PS4? I live in a place that has limited internet, but I can DL smaller things. I can't stream, a la Hulu r Netflix, but a smaller DL file wouldn't be a big deal.

It's up on the EU psn store now. 525mb according to psn.

Also priced at £9.49 on the uk store, and while I normally wouldn't mind paying that much, I just became a father, so I think I'll take advantage of the cheaper price on US psn. Shouldn't really be buying games at all at the moment, but I do want to support a product like this, and the price is certainly right
for my newfound responsibility
on the US store.

anthn

This came out of left field. DD II stands, next to Final Fight, as one of my all time favorite beat 'em ups. Ton of fun 2P, too bad that there is no online multiplayer. Really looking forward to hearing some of the new music tracks, too.

In 2 Player B mode which enabled Friendly Fire, if Player 1 killed Player 2, player 1 would gain an extra life, and player 2 killing player 1, gains player 2 an extra life.

You could effectively make it so you'd always have full lives during the play through if you let the other player to finish you off when your health was low to effectively trade lives back and forth.

Why didn't I know this...

Coda

This came out of left field. DD II stands, next to Final Fight, as one of my all time favorite beat 'em ups. Ton of fun 2P, too bad that there is no online multiplayer. Really looking forward to hearing some of the new music tracks, too.

Why didn't I know this...

Agreed! If you have a PS4 and PS Plus you can share play but only for an hour which is weak.

D.Lo

I kinda think they retconned that as an excuse to use DD2 graphics and moves. I don't know that for a fact but it doesn't really make sense otherwise.
That's my take on it. Return of Double Dragon is clearly Double Dragon 4. This is ignoring it as an excuse to use the NES graphics for cheapness of development or nostalgia.

Coda

That's my take on it. Return of Double Dragon is clearly Double Dragon 4. This is ignoring it as an excuse to use the NES graphics for cheapness of development or nostalgia.

But Return of Double Dragon is basically a totally different game which is why it's actually not numbered as Double Dragon IV. It tried to make Double Dragon into Streets of Rage and I personally think it doesn't compare to DD II on the NES. I don't think they picked the NES graphical style because it was cheap, it was because I think the look embodies Double Dragon the most to me. There's maybe some nostalgia but for good reason...DD II on the NES is a masterpiece.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
But Return of Double Dragon is basically a totally different game which is why it's actually not numbered as Double Dragon IV. It tried to make Double Dragon into Streets of Rage and I personally think it doesn't compare to DD II on the NES. I don't think they picked the NES graphical style because it was cheap, it was because I think the look embodies Double Dragon the most to me. There's maybe some nostalgia but for good reason...DD II on the NES is a masterpiece.
DD really needed defensive options though.

TreIII

And on top of that, Return/Super was meant to be an effective reboot that had a different story and re-defined characters (such as Marian being a cop instead of just being "the girlfriend").

Of course, all of that was tossed out because they ran out of dev time and the intended vision didn't come together.

D.Lo

I get absolutely no Streets of Rage vibes from RDD. SOR is a much more simplistic and flashy style in the Final Fight vein. To me RDD is clearly an extension of the DD2 - DD3 continuum of ideas of getting more technical with each entry.

IMO it's not a completely different game, it even has many of the same staff.

Double Dragon V - that is a totally different game. I would be happy to ditch that one of course. If this new game was called Double Dragon V I would be fine with that, it's a retcon I can get behind. But then NES graphics is a step back. Contra 4 was the way to do this, new graphics and ideas which are an evolution of the best ideas of the series.

I've tried to get into Super Double Dragon to no avail.

Love Double Dragon Advance though.
Try Return instead, it's better.

And yeah DDA is great too.

StayDead

Damn, I have 730yen in my PSN account and I don't have a JP credit card so I need codes.

Oh well, 500 code if I can, if not 1000.

Timu

I'm glad Double Dragon Advance is getting more love...that's one of my fave DD games.

I hope DD4 turns out well.

eso76

Want to learn about two unique Japanese versions of Double Dragon II? Check out my column that looks at Double Dragon II for PC Engine Super CD and the Mega Drive version.

I believe stumbling upon your column is exactly how i learned about the PCE version :)

Didn't recognise the NES version hidden in there though,

Coda

Wow just woke up to see this delay in Japan. Really hoping we get this today in the west. Waiting for it to drop on PSN but I will buy on Steam if it drops there first.

Lucky Europe got it first, any early impressions?

Z..

I wouldn't call the arcade version iconic. The NES versions are what a majority of people remember.

Fairly certain that the former isn't true, and I don't recall fondness for or reverence of the look of the arcade versions ever being commonplace either.

The NES version was only big in the US and Japan specifically, guys... The arcade version swept the whole world, it was huge in Japan, NA, Europe and SA.

US gaf seems to consistently not realize the NES was not a hit at all in Europe (33.5mil units in the US vs 8.3 in Europe. 250mil people living in the US in 1990 vs. 721mil people in Europe).

Not sure why this US centric interpretation of video game history is so commonplace. Huge events like the video game crash were contained to one single region yet get treated like industry shaping events on a global scale, which is just not true.

GuyKazama

Hope this releases on Tuesday, although now concerned.

The NES version was only big in the US and Japan specifically, guys... The arcade version swept the whole world, it was huge in Japan, NA, Europe and SA.

US gaf seems to consistently not realize the NES was not a hit at all in Europe (33.5mil units in the US vs 8.3 in Europe. 250mil people living in the US in 1990 vs. 721mil people in Europe).

Not sure why this US centric interpretation of video game history is so commonplace. Huge events like the video game crash were contained to one single region yet get treated like industry shaping events on a global scale, which is just not true.

I don't think it is unknown or purposefully ignored -- it is just that this is a US-based message board. The majority of gamers here are going to be familar with and grew up with the US games industry.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.

Even in the US it doesn't make sense. NES DD was big because of the arcade version, not the other way around.

oh it got delayed for ps4 in JYP... boo.
i want to spam the most over powering move in the game...

double dragon arcade... elbow smash
double dragon II... back kick (since technos fixed the enemy AI to duck elbow smash)

Anyone know what the Steam price is on this ? Price isn't listed yet.

I'm looking forward to using my 360 fight stick to play this on pc.

ok finished downloading.

firing it up.

title screen attract mode intro screens:
Fgy2idEm.jpg
UFOWylSm.jpg
BWH73qEm.jpg

impressions so far:
audio:
music is ok. was expecting 8 bit music but it's still decent. (oh! i see a retro audio mode nice)
8bit sound effects go well with the retro graphics. love the iconic jump sound. the punch sounds a bit high pitched and distorted but i like it.
there is no sound that goes with the finger pointing "move on" "next"

video:
looks like a nes game. love it!
there's major screen tearing.

gameplay:
missions are very short. (played up to mission 7)

mission 1 about 2 minutes.
mission 2 about 4 minutes
mission 3 same etc.

you can't carry over equipment to next parts of a sub stage within a mission.(like when you enter a door)

the knife does not disappear after striking an enemy!
the knife is over powering. you can throw it... kill and then re-pick it up and throw it unlimited times. (carried the knife through a door and thankfully it disappears next board)

Coda

So my first impressions (just played Story Mode once single player, didn't beat it yet)

-Controls are configurable with extra actions being able to be mapped to different buttons if you like
-I recommend turning the BGM mode to "Retro" to get that more retro/NES sound
-I'm seeing massive screen-tearing when playing on my 4K Vizio TV
-Also the sound seems weird and distorted, I'm gonna tinker with my resolution and sound settings to see what's going on, the hit sounds in particular are extremely harsh on the ears, anyone else hearing what I'm hearing?
-Stage environments are a bit lackluster and lack any real personality or charm
-Gameplay was kind of hard for me to adapt to, I'm still trying to do the Power Knee and Cyclone Kick with a two button tap, not working obviously but it's hard to adjust properly
-I feel like the enemies were really cheap and my only way out of situations was to wake up Rage Counter Uppercut to get them off me
-Missions are quick and are probably only 5-8 minutes long a piece
-Encountered some platforming sections so far, first couple were basic and the last part had some tricks to it that tripped me up
-Hoping to play with a friend tonight to see if the game fares better in co-op but for now I'm a little disappointed

i think my biggest grip so far is the 16:9 width of the boards doesn't feel right...
it's feel too wide and empty. especially on the first 4 missions, the on screen enemies are 2-3 at a time with huge spaces to fight in for the first 4 missions. at times i feel like i'm playing double dragon nes "vs. mode" in an empty lot one on one rather than playing an in game stage.
mission 5 starts to get a bit busier with more on screen enemies at a time putting use the wider space better.

I have no problem dropping $6.99 on this but I'd like to get some impressions first lol
i'm not sure it's worth 7 bucks... maybe 2.99 imo with the 7 missions i played so far

Wonko_C

I think that's always what it was, the game had great ideas and isn't bad at all. It just had a lot of flaws holding it back, 30 fps being one of them.

You know all NES DD games are 30 fps, right?
BTW: Is DDIV running at 30fps too? If only to maintain tradition.

Thanks for the impressions, guys. I was afraid it'd be a throwback with little substance beyond that, sounds like that's what it is

Top Bottom