• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | February 2017 - Giveaways are back

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ascheroth

Yeah, I get what you're saying, but it's not a hard-and-fast rule either way. As an example

GTA V would like to have a word with you. And even if you assume GTA is an exception due to its franchise-strength, there's still Rise of the Tomb Raider and Dark Souls 1, neither of which have GTA's name-recognition. Even Steins;Gate costs £25, which considering it's niche genre and incredibly late-port is a pretty high price.

I definitely agree that double-dippers are a negligible amount of revenue, but at the same-time, I don't know how much the casual PC gamer really looks at other system's titles. You can say

Yes, I would call GTA an exception. I can't think of any other franchise where doing it like this would work out as well as for GTA.
Dark Souls 1 wasn't exactly a full price release iirc. It had a 40€ retail edition that included the game, an artbook, soundtrack, making-of, a poster and some post-cards. That's basically a collectors edition sold below normal edition full-price. And it was only brought over because of a petition in the first place, so it's a bit of a special case.
I can't speak for Rise of the Tomb Rider.

I'd say it's not impossible to sell a late port at full price (and of course it also depends on how late it is), but for how many games does this work out? 1 in a hundred?

But that actually doesn't matter to people who 1) want to play it but haven't had the chance yet, and 2) don't pay attention to (as an example) what's released on the PS4. An exception would be something that's crossed into mainstream media exposure, like Bloodborne, but even that's countered by that exposure creating a "must-play" vibe. If BB ever gets a PC release, its sales are going to be staggering, and you can bet that'll be at full-price.
That's a good point.
My thinking here is along the lines of 'a hyped game comes out on consoles, it turns out it's actually mediocre-to-bad, it releases later on PC and no one cares about it anymore even though it might have gotten a sizeable number of day-one PC sales due to marketing hype'. (*cough* FF XIII *cough*)
But maybe I overestimate this point. But even then, a late port has another problem: visibility. There's a ridiculous amount on games on Steam and more are coming out every day.
Just dropping a port without much fanfare doesn't really work anymore for the vast majority of games.

Just to make this clear: I'm not arguing that late ports aren't profitable at all, that's clearly wrong. I just think it would be much more profitable with day-and-date releases, and more japanese publisher seem to think the same way, like Namco or NISA.

voodooray

Some how Digital Homicide have managed to change the steam sub so that the gleam giveaway here now drops their entire catalog even all the weird music dlc. No idea how they managed it seeing as they were kicked off steam.

I got Dungeons of Kragmor and Operation: Global shield from the key, the two I was missing.

Standard tweet, facebook, subscribe nonsense.

New sub.

So if you really really want them...

Not sure if it was covered already, but a few days ago, Steam changed the ability to put on the steam market items (eg: cards, emoticons, etc) from games that were removed from their platform (I guess by themselves, rather than by the dev). Makes sense, as they would need to still pay a cut to the dev on each sale. I'm guessing all the Digital Homicide game drops would also be affected.

I was checking my inventory, and sure enough there are now unmarketable cards. Trading/Badge building is still fine with them though. Not sure if new item drops from newly added titles will remain that way though.

Here are some of those affected:

https://steamcommunity.com/groups/card-trading-card-trades/discussions/1/133255957994868314/

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Some how Digital Homicide have managed to change the steam sub so that the gleam giveaway here now drops their entire catalog even all the weird music dlc. No idea how they managed it seeing as they were kicked off steam.

I got Dungeons of Kragmor and Operation: Global shield from the key, the two I was missing.

New sub.

Ah, nice, cheers. I missed a few music packs due to the listed developer/publisher being different. To answer the implicit question, DH's developer accounts remain associated with their apps, so they can still make some adjustments to the packages they created before Valve cut ties.

Hektor

New sub.

Got 20 games out of it, nice

i'm now officially a 2K User W00B W00B

ySKNkBl.png

Not sure if it was covered already, but a few days ago, Steam changed the ability to put on the steam market items (eg: cards, emoticons, etc) from games that were removed from their platform (I guess by themselves, rather than by the dev). Makes sense, as they would need to still pay a cut to the dev on each sale. I'm guessing all the Digital Homicide game drops would also be affected.

I was checking my inventory, and sure enough there are now unmarketable cards. Trading/Badge building is still fine with them though. Not sure if new item drops from newly added titles will remain that way though.

Here are some of those affected:

https://steamcommunity.com/groups/card-trading-card-trades/discussions/1/133255957994868314/

Someone mentioned it when Sharf was kicked but at that time the DH games were fine. Seems as though Valve is working it's way slowly through all the games kicked off for violations.

Must have been valve that changed the sub, seems like the times almost line up. Why they changed the sub, who knows?

Got 20 games out of it, nice

i'm now officially a 2K User W00B W00B

ySKNkBl.png

nickiminaj.gif

Hakkelus

New sub.

Wow.. That's a lot of games.

Sarcasm

New sub.

From 972 to 986 Oo

C4rter

New sub.

I don't understand it. I just got 5 new games from the giveaways. Does it mean I have all the other games already?!

Edit: Hm, I'm missing Starship: Nova Strike for example.

Kiru

New sub.

That's like the ultimate collection of garbage. I only got like 4 or 5 games more.
Should have never wasted my time getting the games before this...

Pixieking

Banned
Yes, I would call GTA an exception. I can't think of any other franchise where doing it like this would work out as well as for GTA.
Dark Souls 1 wasn't exactly a full price release iirc. It had a 40€ retail edition that included the game, an artbook, soundtrack, making-of, a poster and some post-cards. That's basically a collectors edition sold below normal edition full-price. And it was only brought over because of a petition in the first place, so it's a bit of a special case.
I can't speak for Rise of the Tomb Rider.

I'd say it's not impossible to sell a late port at full price (and of course it also depends on how late it is), but for how many games does this work out? 1 in a hundred?

That's a good point.
My thinking here is along the lines of 'a hyped game comes out on consoles, it turns out it's actually mediocre-to-bad, it releases later on PC and no one cares about it anymore even though it might have gotten a sizeable number of day-one PC sales due to marketing hype'. (*cough* FF XIII *cough*)
But maybe I overestimate this point. But even then, a late port has another problem: visibility. There's a ridiculous amount on games on Steam and more are coming out every day.
Just dropping a port without much fanfare doesn't really work anymore for the vast majority of games.

Just to make this clear: I'm not arguing that late ports aren't profitable at all, that's clearly wrong. I just think it would be much more profitable with day-and-date releases, and more japanese publisher seem to think the same way, like Namco or NISA.

Yeah, it's at this point where we just don't know enough or know too much. By that, I mean we don't know what Sony is paying for exclusivity, thus we don't know if delay for some companies makes sense, whilst Namco can market-the-bejeesus out if its games or NISA know they have a fan following who'll definitely buy Day One. And we also don't know what casual gamers really think or do with regards to late ports, or the effect of, say, Steam announcement pop-ups have. Like you say, visibility is an issue for late ports, but even small marketing efforts can help a lot.

tl;dr: *shrugs*. :D

JaseC

"Early 2017" should be Q1? No?
May-June is not early 2017.

Yeah, but since something that falls within the first six months of the year is closer to the beginning of the year than the end, I'm accounting for Squeenix Logic.

Pachael

Will do
There is likely momchance womething will come of it but that wont stop me :p

Considering the state of Sega affairs, I feel that Atlus Japan are far more likely to see PC demand through their survey than hear of PC demand via Atlus USA.

Vastag

Downloaded R6 Siege to try it on the free weekend.

"Unable to connect to the server"

Nice job Ubi, paying customers must be thrilled with the free weekend.

Shengar

From the RE7 crakced thread I was linked to this series of articles about piracy that was written in 2008 and last updated in 2012. Reading the first half of the articles make me realized how grim the PC gaming was before the widespread use of Steam. It was kinda funny now how there are so many PC games today able to achieve 1 million numbers quite easily.

deejay

Although I never win anything anymore (screw you Modbot) here are some keys that I still had available. Some might not work but I can't find if they've been used before (I normally keep track of it).

ModBot said:
Instructions for deejay:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 5 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (deejay, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Coma Mortuary (not sure if it's been used) -- MB-1FFBDE727B1DB8CF - Taken by Vuze. 2 entrants total.
Crazy Cars (not sure if it's been used) -- MB-D278C9D25E5CF2B3
Facepunch Prototypes -- MB-82F1FDAE86FF805E - Taken by Camel Master. 1 entrants total.
Make Love Not War 3 Bundle -- MB-3A21EEDF7ED1D055 - Taken by Purkake4. 3 entrants total.
Violett Remastered (not sure if it's been used) -- MB-36F272E74AF32DD8 - Taken by Loptous. 1 entrants total.

t1486225819z1.png

Axass

Impressions for Elliot Quest, a game that should be held in high regards: as much as Shovel Knight in my opinion. It's a shame, but I guess that the initial difficulty spike keeps people away from it.

header.jpg

What a blast to the past! Not unlike Shove Knight before, this indie is a love letter to 8-bit games, both in presentation and content; while Shovel Knight harkens back to action platformers, this little gem does so towards action adventure games. The gameplay offers no explanations whatsoever, aside from some basic commands: you play and learn through your ability and your mistakes. The way the save system works is harsh but fair, you get used to it pretty quickly and it manages to strike a good balance between "having to redo long parts" and "feeling the stakes". When moving Elliot around you feel in control from the get go, but it's only after a few hours, when you get the double jump, that the game truly opens up, both in exploration and combat possibilities. The graphics feature warm, deep colours, the sprites have a distinct and charming look; the game is surprisingly big and long, with heaps of secrets and stuff to collect: every location is beautiful and unique and you never feel bored by the exploration. The sense of adventure and mistery is strong and pushes you to finish the game. Too bad the ending feels rushed and is definitely the low point of the whole game, together with the morality system, which is unneeded and shallow.

Phinor

Downloaded R6 Siege to try it on the free weekend.

"Unable to connect to the server"

Nice job Ubi, paying customers must be thrilled with the free weekend.

For the past year I've been completely unable to get past the start screen in R6 Siege unless I change my IP to IPv6 in my router. It worked just fine on launch and during alpha+beta, but they did something after launch and that's been the result for me.

New sub.

I'm curious, why is gleam.io censored on Steam?

Durante

Looks like the single true showstopper issue I identified in Atelier Sophie got fixed in time for the release, at least for the vast majority of configurations.

fantomena

New sub.

Because it takes a shitload of times to get through all those shitty goals of Twitter accounts I will unfollow and Steam groups I will leave after I receive the code that gives me access to a shitload of trash-tier games.

I was halfway through the goals when I almost ended up not doing them and when I was supposedly finished with all of them, 2 more Twitter accounts popped up that I had to follow. Bullshit move.

Knurek

Looks like the single true showstopper issue I identified in Atelier Sophie got fixed in time for the release, at least for the vast majority of configurations.

Have you considered donating semen?
Your genes must be preserved for posterity.

Wok

Because it takes a shitload of times to get through all those shitty goals of Twitter account I will unfollow and Steam groups I will leave after I receive the code that gives me access to a shitload of trash-tier games.

I was halfway through the goals when I almost ended up not doing them and when I was supposedly finished with all of them, 2 more Twitter accounts popped up that I had to follow. Bullshit move.

It is bs... but... 20 GAMES!

Have you considered donating semen?
Your genes must be preserved for posterity.

He can also spread his DNA the usual way and educate his offspring.

JaseC

I'm curious, why is gleam.io censored on Steam?

Giveaway creators are given access to the e-mail and, on either of the paid plans, social media information of entrants/winners -- information that Gleam itself admits ranges from potentially personally-identifying to actually personally-identifying. The fact that it's seemingly exclusively used by developers to dump keys may have also played a part as nobody's going to buy a game at a discount when a giveaway is being advertised in its Steam Community hub.

Monooboe

Oh that's how they do it, seeing as those Digital Homicide games from that giveaways aren't on steam so you can't sell the cards for it, only turn them into gems. Or maybe they are tradeable and worth something elsewhere?

Nabs

Impressions for Elliot Quest, a game that should be held in high regards: as much as Shovel Knight in my opinion. It's a shame, but I guess that the initial difficulty spike keeps people away from it.

header.jpg

What a blast to the past! Not unlike Shove Knight before, this indie is a love letter to 8-bit games, both in presentation and content; while Shovel Knight harkens back to action platformers, this little gem does so towards action adventure games. The gameplay offers no explanations whatsoever, aside from some basic commands: you play and learn through your ability and your mistakes. The way the save system works is harsh but fair, you get used to it pretty quickly and it manages to strike a good balance between "having to redo long parts" and "feeling the stakes". When moving Elliot around you feel in control from the get go, but it's only after a few hours, when you get the double jump, that the game truly opens up, both in exploration and combat possibilities. The graphics feature warm, deep colours, the sprites have a distinct and charming look; the game is surprisingly big and long, with heaps of secrets and stuff to collect: every location is beautiful and unique and you never feel bored by the exploration. The sense of adventure and mistery is strong and pushes you to finish the game. Too bad the ending feels rushed and is definitely the low point of the whole game, together with the morality system, which is unneeded and shallow.

👍🏾 Elliot Quest is one of my favorites. It's crazy to think that one developer could knock something like this out the park.

I recommend checking out Treasure Adventure Game if you're looking for more indie adventure goodness. It's free, but it does have its share of issues. I did a little troubleshooting and came up with a few tips to make the experience a bit better.

Thing.

Refunct in e-mail tags. Quote to reveal. Or don't. You have free will and a heart of gold. Don't let them take that from you.

Hektor

Finished RESIDENT EVIL 7 biohazard / BIOHAZARD 7 reisdent evil (nice title)

It was alright i guess. The beginning was hella atmospheric but that soon dried up. The middle overall felt a bit dragging. The Ending was a bit too quick for my taste.

Overall the game is fine and definitely worth playing, it feels like a mix of some old resident evil elements and Indie NuHorror.

I liked TEW more and while i enjoyed Resi 7 i hope this isn't how the next two titles will be like.

What they should've done is
making the family focus of the game up until the ending, having them be absolutely invincible for the most part of the game, giving the player the ability to temporally KO them with bullets and nothing more, making them feel like nemesis from Resi 3. This way they felt like a waste cos after the first 30 minutes you only fought each of them once and than thats it. The rest of the game you fight yourself through raher boring looking zombies.

Kudo

Finished RESIDENT EVIL 7 biohazard / BIOHAZARD 7 reisdent evil (nice title)

It was alright i guess. The beginning was hella atmospheric but that soon dried up. The middle overall felt a bit dragging. The Ending was a bit too quick for my taste.

Overall the game is fine and definitely worth playing, it feels like a mix of some old resident evil elements and Indie NuHorror.

I liked TEW more and while i enjoyed Resi 7 i hope this isn't how the next two titles will be like.

What they should've done is
making the family focus of the game up until the ending, having them be absolutely invincible for the most part of the game, giving the player the ability to temporally KO them with bullets and nothing more, making them feel like nemesis from Resi 3. This way they felt like a waste cos after the first 30 minutes you only fought each of them once and than thats it. The rest of the game you fight yourself through raher boring looking zombies.

TEW definitely takes the cake for me too, hopefully we'll see more of it one day.
I liked the new direction of RE and really enjoyed my time with the game but after finishing you get this feeling it could have been lot more. Biggest problem being that zombies had no real personality.
Still definitely worth checking out.

Jesb

Any particular reason my credit info was deleted off my account? Was going to buy ryse last night but I was asked to enter it again.

Jesb

Changing your Steam password wipes all saved payment info from your account. Did you do that?

No. Should I be worried? Does this happen if you don't buy something from the steam store in a while? I haven't really been buying anything from there. Usually buy steam games outside of steam itself.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Final Fantasy XV finished.

Onto Watch Dogs 2 next, then that's 3 games this year finished.

So many of these scams could be prevented if Valve had a way to verify keys without redeeming them. They could even take steps to allow keys to be verified without the ability to redeem them.

My proposed changes are similar to how credit cards implemented CVV2 way back when.

Hopefully someone listens to my inane ramblings.

Yes. Ultraviolet codes can be tested without redemption (if you know how to do it). It isn't explicitly stated how to, but it is an important feature.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
I can't sell cards dropped from Digital Homicide games, I guess Valve did something blocking them in order to prevent money grabbing.
Can you at least turn them into gems, or no?

Giveaway creators are given access to the e-mail and, on either of the paid plans, social media information of entrants/winners -- information that Gleam itself admits ranges from potentially personally-identifying to actually personally-identifying. The fact that it's seemingly exclusively used by developers to dump keys may have also played a part as nobody's going to buy a game at a discount when a giveaway is being advertised in its Steam Community hub.
I probably should have read this before I used one of my real emails on Gleam. RIP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom