• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | February 2017 - Giveaways are back

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
this trash giveaway was a mistake. now I have a bunch of useless cards to idle which is taking ages (even with the trick) but I need to do it to make room for the real cards to drop (actually I dont have any real cards to drop atm but for future's sake)

this trash giveaway was a mistake. now I have a bunch of useless cards to idle which is taking ages (even with the trick) but I need to do it to make room for the real cards to drop (actually I dont have any real cards to drop atm but for future's sake)

The solution to the problem is to stop buying bundle trash.

fantomena

Yeah, I agreed. Can't even sell the cards and I don't give a fuck about gems (unless I can sell gems).

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
oh one of the random games has sellable cards heh

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
What did you think of chapter 13

You can put it in spoilers, but I recommend everyone mod that part out of the game anyway when it comes to PC

The absolutely worst shit I have ever played. An absolute slog to get through doesn't even do it justice. Just what the fuck were the developers thinking?

Nillansan

Durante hasnt said much about that one except it runs at 60

He also confirmed that it is indeed possible to pick resolutions above 1080P through registry editing.

2sv37Nj.gif

Which of my questions is that a response to? The first? The latter? Both?

Phew, my first GAF ban is finally lifted. I think i still need to learn what things can get me banned here, don't want to be in read-only mode ever again, just when i was banned so many things happened during those 2 weeks.Going to stick with community and avoid gaming side topics as much as possible, especially GOTY threads.

He also confirmed that it is indeed possible to pick resolutions above 1080P through registry editing.

Which of my questions is that a response to? The first? The latter? Both?

Both. Steam isn't even mentionned this year. To be honest, baring some important higher ups/target shift, you can forget anything PC related from Atlus or SEGA JP. It's not happening and SEGA wont acknowledge it. I think a lot of people, including me, were fooled by the fact Valkyria Chronicles on PC was an acknowledgement of changes from SEGA when it was in fact just pure luck. And despite the game huge success, it didn't changed anything. Worse, Valkyria Azure Revolution is getting an XB1 release, not PC.

btw got those Sniper 3 beta codes, anyone still want to try it? My first Modbot giveaway so hope i set up everything right
ModBot said:
Instructions for InquisitorAles:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (InquisitorAles, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Sniper Ghost Warrior 3 Beta Key -- MB-012FF0D34F0066BA - Taken by TheSeks
Sniper Ghost Warrior 3 Beta Key #2 -- MB-F9AF90B93B097DB1 - Taken by Vastag
Sniper Ghost Warrior 3 Beta Key #3 -- MB-D3FF7DA54B0676B1 - Taken by DarKshodaN

Battlechili

Banned
Both. Steam isn't even mentionned this year. To be honest, baring some important higher ups/target shift, you can forget anything PC related from Atlus or SEGA JP. It's not happening and SEGA wont acknowledge it. I think a lot of people, including me, were fooled by the fact Valkyria Chronicles on PC was an acknowledgement of changes from SEGA when it was in fact just pure luck. And despite the game huge success, it didn't changed anything. Worse, Valkyria Azure Revolution is getting an XB1 release, not PC.
Patience

In January 2018, nothing would've happened yet. It's been more than 2 years since Valkyria Chronicles. Ports dont take that much time. As I said, SEGA Europe now is pretty much western IP focused exclusively. Japanese IPs are more of a Japan and USA thing now. The only push that could come from West would be either from SEGA Europe, which basically gave up or Atlus USA which... well... pretty much proved these wont be the guys pushing for PC at all.

Granjinha

did anyone play the Hollow Knight sneak peek? The game's great.

In January 2018, nothing would've happened yet. It's been more than 2 years since Valkyria Chronicles. Ports dont take that much time. As I said, SEGA Europe now is pretty much western IP focused exclusively. Japanese IPs are more of a Japan and USA thing now. The only push that could come from West would be either from SEGA Europe, which basically gave up or Atlus USA which... well... pretty much proved these wont be the guys pushing for PC at all.

i'm pretty sure if SEGA Europe had the power to do the decisions we would see a lot more PC ports

they don't have that, though

Phinor

I have just read a very interesting article from "For UNCUT!" Steam group.

With author's permission addicT* from For UNCUT! Steam group

Why you should avoid Stores like G2A

It's worth a read.

Good article, but incidentally it also just emphasizes how large the digital market is and how do customers distinguish between legit and non-legit stores. The first two stores I entered into that Key Radar DB, which should tell me whether a site is licensed or not, got me the same result: the site doesn't exist in their DB. Again, both 100% legit, licensed sites/stores. The third site I tried sells both legit retail games but also takes keys out of boxes and sells them digitally, ie. unlicensed. Not recognized site in the DB. The market is huge and widespread.

On the other hand they treat GMG as they should, as in mostly legit but they also occasionally sell grey market keys so they are not exactly 100% licensed.

The absolutely worst shit I have ever played. An absolute slog to get through doesn't even do it justice. Just what the fuck were the developers thinking?

Agreed, I think it took me a whole Saturday to get through because I was pausing it every 5 minutes out of self hatred. 9-14 are honestly pretty terrible, but I enjoyed 1-8 enough. Easily the worst boss fights in any Final Fantasy game though.

yuraya

Its such a facepalm for Microsoft to not release Halo Wars 2 on Steam. I mean seriously wth are they thinking?

Millions upon millions of CA fans who have been spending so much $ over the years on their games via Steam. And you are just gonna avoid them like that? Really stupid. The game will probably not do all that well on Win10 store. Xbox owners are gonna have to pick up that slack otherwise the game will probably flop.

tmarg

Its such a facepalm for Microsoft to not release Halo Wars 2 on Steam. I mean seriously wth are they thinking?

Millions upon millions of CA fans who have been spending so much $ over the years on their games via Steam. And you are just gonna avoid them like that? Really stupid. The game will probably not do all that well on Win10 store. Xbox owners are gonna have to pick up that slack otherwise the game will probably flop.

MS only publish games to push their platforms. Whether or not a game would sell well elsewhere is not something they care about.

ezodagrom

1 year, it may be a mediocre game and a stupid choice to have been brought to steam, but sonic lost world still happened. The last tweet from sega europe (a recent one) still says we can expect news, I guess.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

With Win10 now being the most-used OS among Steam users at roughly 50%, I think Microsoft letting the other shoe drop some time this year is a very distinct possibility. I don't expect the Steam versions to be Win32, though; instead, MS will distribute UWP apps through Steam and tie them to a Win32 version of the Xbox app that acts as a middle-man client. That or MS will work with Valve on having UWP apps launch directly from Steam. In other words, an Ubiesque approach that will allow MS to take advantage of Steam's userbase without abandoning its own platform.

Nillansan

In January 2018, nothing would've happened yet. It's been more than 2 years since Valkyria Chronicles. Ports dont take that much time. As I said, SEGA Europe now is pretty much western IP focused exclusively. Japanese IPs are more of a Japan and USA thing now.

We'll see what 2017 brings, might be nothing, might be a whole lot. Also, port jobs can take a lot of time, we don't even know how many resources they are throwing at these efforts, so far the team sizes have been modest to put it mildly.

The only push that could come from West would be either from SEGA Europe, which basically gave up or Atlus USA which... well... pretty much proved these wont be the guys pushing for PC at all.

Atlus USA have pushed for PC ports, but given rigorousness of the Japanese branch, it seems like a lost cause - at least for the time being. As you've said it might even require a significant shift in the upper management in order to steer the company towards a more forward thinking business practice.

i'm pretty sure if SEGA Europe had the power to do the decisions we would see a lot more PC ports.

Yup, it's such a shame.

We'll see what 2017 brings, might be nothing, might be a whole lot. Also, port jobs can take a lot of time, we don't even know how many resources they are throwing at these efforts, so far the team sizes have been modest to put it mildly.

Atlus USA have pushed for PC ports
, but given rigorousness of the Japanese branch, it seems like a lost cause - at least for the time being. As you've said it might even require a significant shift in the upper management in order to steer the company towards a more forward thinking business practice.

Yup, it's such a shame.

I frankly doubt it happened in a meaningful way.
Port jobs are never 1 to 2 years long though. Valkyria Chronicles was a 3 person job iirc. Why does every publishers can release ports in a few months, of several titles including niche ones like KT, Spike Chunsoft, NIS yet SEGA can't ? Cause they're not working on these.

I frankly doubt it happened in a meaningful way.
Port jobs are never 1 to 2 years long though. Valkyria Chronicles was a 3 person job iirc. Why does every publishers can release ports in a few months, of several titles including niche ones like KT, Spike Chunsoft, NIS yet SEGA can't ? Cause they're not working on these.

Yep. Valkyria was 3 years ago, if we were gonna be getting more of that SEGA goodness I think we'd have gotten something by now.

Momentary

Banned
What does Digital Foundry or other top dogs use to record their PC footage? I'm using GFE and while it's pretty decent, I get stutter in my videos every 10 or so seconds and it records at 59FPS instead of 60. I'm running a Titan XP with a Intel i7 6850K. So I'm not lacking in the performance area.

The stutter happens on everything from indie games to high demanding AAA titles. This is what my recording is set up as:

CUSTOM
2160p
60FPS
90Mbps

I've tried lowering the bit rate as well and it still happens. It's not very noticeable, but it looks like I'm dropping frames on my end when it's only the recording that's doing that.

Does anyone recommend anything else that's maybe a little superior. I know some people use OBS, but I'd probably need help setting that up.

Damn it, the fact that the entries referring to PC and Steam were typed in by the respondent completely went over my head.

CtjvzZG.png

Yep, it was. They dont acknowledge that platform but that's expected from Japan. Although Sega Japan/Atlus seems to only cather to Japan. West doesnt include Europe since they dont even distribute their games themselves here but with Deep Silver. Their only target in West is USA, through Atlus USA which not only does seems to have limited means but on top of that seems to not be interested in an active push for that platform.

What does Digital Foundry or other top dogs use to record their PC footage? I'm using GFE and while it's pretty decent, I get stutter in my videos every 10 or so seconds and it records at 59FPS instead of 60. I'm running a Titan XP with a Intel i7 6850K. So I'm not lacking in the performance area.

The stutter happens on everything from indie games to high demanding AAA titles. This is what my recording is set up as:

CUSTOM
2160p
60FPS
90Mbps

I've tried lowering the bit rate as well and it still happens. It's not very noticeable, but it looks like I'm dropping frames on my end when it's only the recording that's doing that.

Does anyone recommend anything else that's maybe a little superior. I know some people use OBS, but I'd probably need help setting that up.

If you're just recording raw footage, it's hard to beat dxtory. FRAPS is good as well. If you are adding commentary it's best to record that as its' own thing using Audacity or similar. For my own stuff as I don't have the best hardware I use Xsplit with quality set to highest. OBS can be used but required a bit of extra tweaking, plus there's currently issues with it and Nvidia cards which is why I changed to Xsplit.

You probably already know this, but you should be playing the game and recording onto separate drives. So if you have an SSD and a HDD, put the game on the SSD and record to the HDD.

What I could see happening though for Europe is if people asked Deep Silver for a push to see if they may be able to ask the production of a PC version for European market.

Monooboe

With Win10 now being the most-used OS among Steam users at roughly 50%, I think Microsoft letting the other shoe drop some time this year is a very distinct possibility. I don't expect the Steam versions to be Win32, though; instead, MS will distribute UWP apps through Steam and tie them to a Win32 version of the Xbox app that acts as a middle-man client. That or MS will work with Valve on having UWP apps launch directly from Steam. In other words, an Ubiesque approach that will allow MS to take advantage of Steam's userbase without abandoning its own platform.

If that meant that Microsoft games that are "play anywhere" would be sold on Steam, so I could also get them on Xbox One I would actually be little happy about that. Sounds way too good tough.XD

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
If that meant that Microsoft games that are "play anywhere" would be sold on Steam, so I could also get them on Xbox One I would actually be little happy about that. Sounds way too good tough.XD

I think Play Anywhere would remain a WinStore perk. Cross-play? Sure. Cross-buy? Nah, the WinStore needs a feather in its cap.

I can't access steam login servers

But I can access it through the chrome browser

I have already updated my videocard drivers so idk what else to do?

Monooboe

I think Play Anywhere would remain a WinStore perk. Cross-play? Sure. Cross-buy? Nah, the WinStore needs a feather in its cap.

Yeah not sure how those work, if there are several versions of the same game on win store, or if there is just one version of a game and if that has Play Anywhere you have it no matter what. For example if one buys a Xbox One key from say cdkeys for a Play Anywhere game and that works, I haven't tried it yet but if it does work it should probably work the same for Steam. Or they might go the route like they did with Minecraft, where they are called Minecraft Windows Edition and such.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom