• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light |OT| - Play This GOTY Contender

burgerdog

Trying to get all artifact, relic, and weapon achievement now and stuck on forgotten gate's first challenge room. Any tips?

Gribbix

burgerdog said:
Trying to get all artifact, relic, and weapon achievement now and stuck on forgotten gate's first challenge room. Any tips?
Is it the one with the spiked column in the middle of a spiked chasm? If so,
lay a bomb next to the bullseye/lever. Then fire your grapple to the anchor across the room and position yourself so that the grapple line is directly over the column. Blow up the bomb which will cause the column to rise up along with the grapple line.

mclem

Y2Kev said:
I can't believe people don't LOVE Keeley Hawes. I think she's been awesome as Croft for the past three games.
Just so long as the followup to this has her partnered with Philip Glenister.

burgerdog

Gribbix said:
Is it the one with the spiked column in the middle of a spiked chasm? If so,
lay a bomb next to the bullseye/lever. Then fire your grapple to the anchor across the room and position yourself so that the grapple line is directly over the column. Blow up the bomb which will cause the column to rise up along with the grapple line.
I was way off on that one. Thanks.

BumRush

Great to see this game is getting some positive reactions...i'd love for Lara to get popular again so we could see an Uncharted-quality TR game...

fernoca

I think some people are scared of getting the game, because the co-op has been one of the focuses when talking about the game. I think, they think that the single player makes you play with some dumb AI-controlled partner; when in single player you only play as Lara and control Lara.

They need to spread the word that the single player game, is a single player/character-only experience with no other character detracting from the overall experience.

FrankT

Challenge room on Toxic Swamp with a spiked ball I need to get over a ramp any hints on this? Tried the obvious with mines, but never seems to have enough power.

Peff

Jtyettis said:
Challenge room on Toxic Swamp with a spiked ball I need to get over a ramp any hints on this? Tried the obvious with mines, but never seems to have enough power.

Hm, I don't remember that one... is it the one sorrounded by spikes? Try the
grenade launcher

Gribbix

Jtyettis said:
It's easier to push the ball directly into the middle portion of the 3 poison pods on the side of the room. The explosion should launch it directly onto the area above.

FrankT

Gribbix said:
It's easier push the ball directly into the middle portion of the 3 poison pods on the side of the room. The explosion should launch it directly onto the area above.

I suppose that couldn't have been easier heh.

desverger

This is a great co-op and a girlfriend game. It's so much fun with two players :p

The only two minor gripes I have is the score system which is individual, which is sort of good if your other half likes to roll down the cliffs and is otherwise keen on trying all sorts of crazy jumps, but sort of bad when she notices there's new outfit unlockables with total score.. Which makes us play the game more, so I guess it isn't really a bad thing - just weird. I wish all the scores (kills, gems) would be shared, but if you die, that -5000 points would be just deducted from you. I'm more of an achiever and always going for the top score in each level, which makes us squabble over enemy kills and gems :lol

The other gripe I have is that they definitely should have hired my gf as a playtester. We're constantly finding routes that the level designers forgot to close off and having the game crash when we suddenly found a shortcut through half of the map by just exploring and using the tools the game gives. Considering the other half of the game IS exploration, it's rather discouraging to find places that don't make a lot of sense or just down right break the game :p

I remember in the toxic swamp level we climbed over some challenge "pyramid" with spears and the rope, just to cut through the whole half of a level and having the game crash when we collected a red skull in some part of the level.

Anyway, wanting to end on a good note - the game is really awesome and the most fun we had in a co-op game since RE5. The platforming and all the crazy traps really make a great environment for a two-player game like this.

Dynoro

Is anyone else finding the score system really generous in single player? I have grabbed the top score challenge on almost every level so far and there's a few I have died...a lot :D I've even got 2 of the costumes so far and have about 5 or 6 levels left to go.

Must say; the game is fanastic single player (going to give coop a go this week) and its well worth the allards! I get the feeling I'll be replaying it as soon as I complete it just to grab all the artifacts and weapons. Not looking forward to the challenge where you have to complete the race through the traps on the first try though.

ArjanN

Classic_Gs said:
Playing this makes me want a new Legacy of Kain game in this same style.

Yeah, that sounds be a pretty good fit IMO. Would allow them to put less empahasis on the convoluted backstory and get a fresh start.

And I think there's a decent chance one of the costume LDCs is Kain and Raziel...

Dynoro

ArjanN said:
Yeah, that sounds be a pretty good fit IMO. Would allow them to put less empahasis on the convoluted backstory and get a fresh start.

And I think there's a decent chance one of the costume LDCs is Kain and Raziel...
I worry that the DLC we'll get will be the cast of FFXIII, Deus Ex and Kane and Lynch

tjohn86

Has anyone been able to get 60,000 points on the dinosaur boss fight? I can't get even close and I need to unlock the gun...

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Ok, so I guess this is more of a question for Keir_Eidos. I've been loving the hell out of trying to do speed runs for this game and for a little bit I was #1 for the first level. Now I take a look at the leader boards and I'm now in 3rd but here's the rundown:
Me: 3:36
2nd place: 3:33 which I feel is legit because I did screw up in some places.
1st place: 2:17.

Now is this guy hacking or did I miss over a minute of shortcuts? Meh, I guess I don't really care, but these speed runs are addicting on a Mirror's edge type level :D

Haunted

Wow, just played through the demo with a friend and it was surprisingly fun! Definitely better than I expected, I'll be there for the PC version. Good job, CD.

burgerdog

tjohn86 said:
Has anyone been able to get 60,000 points on the dinosaur boss fight? I can't get even close and I need to unlock the gun...
Check the northern and eastern side of the map. There should be temple entrances that spawn a ton of critters. Make sure you don't get hit either to keep the x3 multiplier.

I just got all the achievements. :D Looking forward to the dlc if it's well done. It probably took me about 20 hours to 100%, that's a lot of game for $15. Not to mention that I'll go through the game one more time for coop.

Sad_Panda

tjohn86 said:

Pretty easy with the x3 multiplier. Use two spike traps against the T-Rex, then roll around the area, avoid getting hurt and kill every enemy that spawns.

Keir_Eidos

Eidos Loves You
This thread is a great read :D

RiccochetJ said:
Ok, so I guess this is more of a question for Keir_Eidos. I've been loving the hell out of trying to do speed runs for this game and for a little bit I was #1 for the first level. Now I take a look at the leader boards and I'm now in 3rd but here's the rundown:
Me: 3:36
2nd place: 3:33 which I feel is legit because I did screw up in some places.
1st place: 2:17.

Now is this guy hacking or did I miss over a minute of shortcuts? Meh, I guess I don't really care, but these speed runs are addicting on a Mirror's edge type level :D

Hm. There could be some shenanigans at play here. Thanks for mentioning it. I've flagged this with the relevant people.

3:36 is bloody good though man.

Pakkidis

Enjoying the game as well, considering i'm not too into top down shooters I think this is a very well made game. The level design so far has been excellent and the puzzles and pacing is also fantastic. I have a few more levels to complete and then its going back to get everything I missed. I am not looking forward to the challenges that require me to get the ball into the fire in under 30 sec.

dralla

Pakkidis said:
Enjoying the game as well, considering i'm not too into top down shooters I think this is a very well made game. The level design so far has been excellent and the puzzles and pacing is also fantastic. I have a few more levels to complete and then its going back to get everything I missed. I am not looking forward to the challenges that require me to get the ball into the fire in under 30 sec.
i did that on my first try. you just need to bomb it so that its momentum takes it down a few levels

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Dynoro said:
Is anyone else finding the score system really generous in single player? I have grabbed the top score challenge on almost every level so far and there's a few I have died...a lot :D I've even got 2 of the costumes so far and have about 5 or 6 levels left to go.

Must say; the game is fanastic single player (going to give coop a go this week) and its well worth the allards! I get the feeling I'll be replaying it as soon as I complete it just to grab all the artifacts and weapons. Not looking forward to the challenge where you have to complete the race through the traps on the first try though.

You should bump the difficulty up to hard. Then see how easy those challenges are!

Adam J.

Has Crystal D stated any interested in doing more of these Lara Croft DL games? I heard that DLC was coming in the future, but I wonder how robust it will be.

dralla

on the twisted bridge level, the 'bomb the rolling fire' challenge isn't working? I bomb the flaming boulders that are rolling down the stairs, the first 2 register but I can never get the 3rd and final one, it just stays on 2/3.

Gribbix

Adam J. said:
Has Crystal D stated any interested in doing more of these Lara Croft DL games? I heard that DLC was coming in the future, but I wonder how robust it will be.
PSGames said:
Do we have any idea when the first DLC will come out?

Here's what the game's press release says about the DLC:
From October to December the Downloadable Lara Croft campaign continues with 5 packs available across all formats. The first three are expansion packs featuring a combination of all new puzzle, exploration and combat experiences in the game and new areas to explore. The further two packs are playable character packs, offering gamers the chance to experience the entire adventure without Lara Croft and Totec and instead with some other well-known videogame characters.
I'm looking forward to the DLC based on this comment from the creative director (assuming it refers to new levels):
5) There's more good stuff coming. Once players are done with the single player or multiplayer campaigns, they will still have plenty of downloadable content to look forward to. That means there will be more mind-boggling puzzles, more mad dashes through massive trap rooms, and waves and waves of enemies to mow down. These challenges are aimed squarely at those who have already cleared the main game, so they will definitely test their tomb raiding abilities to the maximum.

.la1n

I haven't been able to put as much time as I wanted into it, it seems like a pretty well polished game so far though, I can believe i'm having fun playing a lara croft property again.

This has probably been covered but the voice of your native friend is the same guy who voices pete in the disney cartoons is he not?

Daigoro

so in theory then the free DLC that 360 user will be getting will be an expansion, not extra characters?

that would be nice.

Keir_Eidos

Eidos Loves You
Adam J. said:

PR answer: We'd very much like to and haven't ruled anything out :) DLC answer below.

fernoca said:
and Halcyon+On+On. :D

Love that track.

Daigoro said:
so in theory then the free DLC that 360 user will be getting will be an expansion, not extra characters?

that would be nice.

Yes. The DLC is chunky. There'll be three drops of new puzzles, new action and new combat maps. I've had the chance to play test it and the designers had some great ideas bottled up that they could use for the DLC. Some of it is freaking tough. Also, the work on the DLC started once the game design was complete meaning it's purely additional content for those that are interested. I just recorded a podcast with Jeff (designer) and Daniel (creative director) and they go into more detail about this. I'll post a link once it's live if anyone is interested.

FrankT

Stumpokapow said:
First week sales:
Monkey Island 2 - 14,740
Blacklight - 49,688
DeathSpank - 34,467
Limbo - 166,243
Hydro Thunder - 53,563

Coming back to first week it is sitting at 41,485 atm. Likley hit around 40k yesterday. Not terrible in comparison, but likely the weakest first week for all the SOA titles. It may get a bump once the online co-op is released although that will be heavy Reach time. It would ahve helped a good bit if it was there day one I believe. Well I hope it has legs regardless and I'm still getting the DLC.

Anyhow I'm on the level Stronghold Passage and one of the challenges is to step on 3 hidden spider tiles. I've found 2/3 and likely the obvious ones(one in a corner with a ball and the other on a single platform directly down from a challenge room). Any help on where that third one may be hiding?

Peff

Jtyettis said:
Anyhow I'm on the level Stronghold Passage and one of the challenges is to step on 3 hidden spider tiles. I've found 2/3 and likely the obvious ones(one in a corner with a ball and the other on a single platform directly down from a challenge room). Any help on where that third one may be hiding?

Near the end, inside a broken tomb. Bomb it and it will appear.

Keir_Eidos said:
Yes. The DLC is chunky. There'll be three drops of new puzzles, new action and new combat maps. I've had the chance to play test it and the designers had some great ideas bottled up that they could use for the DLC. Some of it is freaking tough. Also, the work on the DLC started once the game design was complete meaning it's purely additional content for those that are interested. I just recorded a podcast with Jeff (designer) and Daniel (creative director) and they go into more detail about this. I'll post a link once it's live if anyone is interested.
Is the DLC free for 360 only, or PS3 as well?

Amir0x

Banned
Let me formally endorse this product for all fence sitting GAFers.

This is the real fucking deal. This game is imo one of the top titles of the year, and is one of the first times I've ever said to myself "wow, this arcade game is as good as any full fledged $60 game!" I liked the last few Tomb Raider titles despite their glaring flaws, but this one is not like those... it has few flaws at all.

Frankly I'm a little surprised it is $15. The game has tons of content. 15 levels, first time through maybe take a half hour each... and you'll be doing these levels over and over to collect all the items to expand your character and to do the speed runs. There's easily over 20 hours of content here if you throw in playing with your friends (and online is coming September 28th so I hear. That's the biggest flaw this game has right now so...).

This game is the ultimate speed runners wet dream my God. There's so many ways to rip seconds off your time. The controls are perfect. They're fluid, feel just tight enough to make traversing each map a joy. Tweaked to a fine shine.

Level design is so good. Early few levels are naturally easy, but eventually they build to a devious Prince of Persia-esque crescendo, collapsing bridges, expanding platforms, spikes out the fucking ass. When you beat some of these later on you're gonna be fistpumping the air all "jesus christ I am such a badass, someone suck my dick already because damn it I DESERVE IT."

And then you'll do it all again to get under those par times.

It's so polished. About the only forgettable thing is the story but who the fuck cares about that all game stories are terrible and the only redeemable thing about them is that they sometimes provide some neat visual motivator for you to continue on. Here, the story is about some...Aztec something blah I don't even fucking know. But basically it's an excuse to set off a flurry of never-ending traps while you gracefully swan dive out of the way at the last final second. Take the first level, which is really easy. It finishes with this climactic little race over a pool of spikes and then some ever forwarding walls you gotta climb, and the last few are too high so you gotta throw your spear and use it as leverage. Now the very last platform can't take your spears, so you gotta throw up your grapple hook to reach the thing. But I didn't see that hook point the first time, so I'm frantically tossing spears at the wall like "W-T-F" and I'm almost out of floor space (so basically I'm gonna fall into the spikes) and at the last possible second I throw out that grapple hook and it grabs hold, as I hang perilously over the spikes. That's the type of shit this game has in store for you.

We're not worthy for this shit. I'm not afraid to say it.

I'm not even done mentioning things. The visuals are pitch perfect for this game, very nice to look at the entire thing. Nice variety. The music is awesome. I mean basically it's all awesome.

10/10. ****/****

This game is as polished as a Nintendo title.

Amir0x

Banned
Shit i forgot to mention that each level has clever little sub-challenges that are often really fun to tackle and have awesome rewards for completing things so there's even that gameplay to look forward to

i cannot believe how good this game is. Biggest shock I've had all generation (outside of maybe Demon's Souls)

derFeef

Amir0x said:
Shit i forgot to mention that each level has clever little sub-challenges that are often really fun to tackle and have awesome rewards for completing things so there's even that gameplay to look forward to

i cannot believe how good this game is. Biggest shock I've had all generation (outside of maybe Demon's Souls)
Ah, so there is good replay value as well. Can you start individual missions after completing it once?

Top Bottom