• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light |OT| - Play This GOTY Contender

Keir_Eidos

Eidos Loves You
Anticitizen One said:
Where does this game sit in the Tomb Raider timeline?

The idea is the game is from Lara's journal. We haven't specified where in the timeline it sits, but she's the kind of broad that likes to go on adventures a lot. This is just one of them. It's kind of separate and doesn't affect the story from the pillar release.

JRW said:
Game was fun but kinda got repetitive towards the end. It was worth the price of admission tho.

That's fair but just out of interest, was that a co-op game?

The Praiseworthy said:
You have no idea how much this post made me really happy :)

what a relief to hear this!

Not as happy as it makes me. You have no idea, haha.

Amir0x

Banned
Keir_Eidos said:
The idea is the game is from Lara's journal. We haven't specified where in the timeline it sits, but she's the kind of broad that likes to go on adventures a lot. This is just one of them. It's kind of separate and doesn't affect the story from the pillar release.

you should have just said "LOL Tomb Raider timeline LOL"

UraMallas

This game came out of left field. Easily the best of the Summer of Arcade games, for me. Better than Limbo and definitely better than Castlevania, which I was looking forward to the most. It's fun and controls great. Best of all, it has challenges and speed runs that are doable. (They even tell you when a challenge is available! How cool is that!) I'm rarely in doubt of what I need to accomplish to beat any specific challenge and instead of hunting them out, they naturally come up. I'm a completionist and the way this game handles extras and challenges makes it less of a headache but it doesn't take the fun out of actually doing the challenges and getting the items. It is always clear what I've done, what I need to still do and where. I've played through only six levels so far but I've played each level at least twice, usually right after I've finished it.

What the hell? Tomb Raider just became relevant again.

Plissken

Finished the single player game this afternoon, and I loved every minute of it. Going to go back and try for all the challenges and achievements, which I almost never do for any game. Also plan to double-dip for the PC version so I can play co-op with a friend who doesn't have a 360. Hands down the best downloadable game of the year, well worth the $15 and then some.

Amir0x

Banned
I fucked up my speed run time because the first time I rolled over the Spike switch to open the door it didn't activate, so I had to re-roll over it :(

burgerdog

Amir0x said:
I fucked up my speed run time because the first time I rolled over the Spike switch to open the door it didn't activate, so I had to re-roll over it :(
I had a perfect run, I even managed to blow the spinning ball and land it in the fire hole by total accident. That shaved a good amount of seconds off the clock.

I'd like to offer my congratulations, firstly for a fantastic game, and secondly for accomplishing a feat no other developer has ever done: addicting my girlfriend.

There are a handful of games she likes and asks to play occasionally, the most frequent being Rock Band. But this is the first game she's ever been glued to for hours. After playing the demo, she insisted I buy it, and we played until I insisted it was bedtime rather than her (thanks for the 3 hours of sleep). The next night (yesterday) we played until 5 AM. Then she woke me up early wanting to play. I actually put up a little resistance--a man's gotta eat--but I'm sure we'll finish it shortly. She's on the phone now, or she'd probably be mad at me for posting rather than playing.

:D

I'm just lurking this thread since it was created. I'm disappointed that this game didn't get a simultaneous release on PC and PS3 as well :sad panda: All I can do is watch people's reactions while I wait for the PS3 release.

I was definitely a fence-sitter on this. I absolutely love co-op games, but this seemed like a rushed product from start: Doesn't have Tomb Raider name, weird perspective, downloadable and $15.

eXistor

Such a great game, I finished it last week. I suppose the levels start to feel alike after a while, but the gameplay, balance and controls are perfect.

FrankT

Amir0x said:

Seems for me it is just one little thing that can mess up my speed runs like this. Game is steadily headed toward 50k it may end up having some nice legs. The ads on the marketplace are well done with the mention of the Game Informer score.

Inno

Wow, really surprised this thread only has 10 pages.

Finished the game over the weekend with a buddy and was so blown away I just had to check the praise this game was getting. But only 10 pages, wtf!

Seriously if you enjoy coop, platforming, shooting and puzzles this game is pure bliss. We played it on hard because we wanted a challenge and these types of games tend to be too easy in multiplayer. Hard mode was challenging at times but not overly difficult. Building up that power meter and getting stats and weapon boost while not getting hit feels so good.

quickwhips

once the coop is online is enabled i'll be buying it unless i forget. My brother and I are going to play it through. Just no point in buying it when we can't play together right now. Hopefully this thread will pop back up on the 28th so I'll remember. I liked the demo though.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
You mean 5 pages right?> Anyways it's only 5 because it's only out in live right now. Business will pick up with the PSN release and co op patch.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
LiquidMetal14 said:
You mean 5 pages right?> Anyways it's only 5 because it's only out in live right now. Business will pick up with the PSN release and co op patch.
Default (I think) browsing is 50 posts a page so that's why he sees 10 pages.

Daigoro

i bought it last week. it is definitly a quality and fun title.

totally different beast in co-op as well. i absolutley love the co-op game mechanics and how you have to approach obstacles differently. really fun stuff.

derFeef said:
There is only the 360 version out yet.

Thinking of double-dipping.

i was thinking the same thing. will probably pick this up on PC one day.

Keir_Eidos said:

good answer. :lol

fernoca

I'm playing this game kinda slow, but is so fucking awesome! :O!!
A little over two weeks already.

A friend of mine got an Xbox 360 just 3 days ago and this was one of the main purchases (after seeing me play the game; along with the Best Buy offer of $300 Elite bundles with $50 giftcards). He said he wanted 1600 points to buy Lara Croft and he did. He already has more achivements than I do (on this game) and replays stages constantly to get every challebge, every item, every artifact. And he's earlier than me. :lol :lol

Great game, hope it sells great too.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
OldJadedGamer said:
I'm sure it will pick up once they release the full version of the game.
yeah, I'm waiting for online co-op.

Yagharek

I "wasted" 2GB on downloading this demo the other night. Before I get lynched, I downloaded it on the proviso I was 'wasting' bandwidth on something I had no real interest in but because it was something new on the marketplace and since I was at the end of my internet billing cycle I thought why the hell not and gave it a go.

Wow.

Within ten minutes this demo convinced me that not only was it not a waste, but also that it may be one of the better games this gen. Such a lovely surprise.

Without hesitation I put this right up there with World of Goo, Swords and Soldiers, Pixeljunk Monsters and Braid as one of the 'holy shit/where did this come from' surprise games.

Further, and I know the similarities are there for a reason, this game reminds me of Uncharted. Not just because of the setting which TR did first, but because of the ambience and quality in the audio especially.

GOTY contender is an understatement.

FrankT

I forgot I didn't have the Collect all relics, artifacts, and weapons achievement yet. Knocked all the challenges and collections last night. I'd say that put my total play time at 12-15 hours without the co-op. So bring on the co-op and DLC.

Safe Bet

Banned
If you're going to start a "isometric project", I'd suggest you do it now before the genre/style becomes resaturated again.

Daigoro

im having a few technical issues. wondering if anyone else is experiencing the same.

when the game autosaves it does a slight pause, sometimes a little longer than a slight pause.. this happens during the action and occasionally screw things up. for instance. i fell off of a ledge because of a pause once.

i also had 2 lock ups today. once when i was coming out of the item menu, and once when i was loading a new level.

anyone else experience any of this?

i have it loaded on a usb stick. its a brand new 16gig stick thats still has plenty of room left (about 11g). i guess ill try to transfer or re-download to the HD to see if that the issue. im kind of hoping it isnt since this is what i bought the thing for in the first place.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Wow. This is.....really good.

I've never had fun with a Tomb Raider game before this. Go buy it GAF. It's really damn good.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Vizionblind said:
even single player?

I haven't played multiplayer, so I don't know anything about that, TBH. The single player mode is really good. It's actually kind of amazing how this utterly blindsided me. Give the demo a shot, at least.

Amir0x

Banned
RustyNails said:
So I guess this game is officially GAF approved. Very few games get the GAF Seal of Approval!

I can hardly approve any harder than I am!

I can't believe some of the top spot speed runs in this game. They're sick. People are sick :lol

Okay, so I've gotten all artifacts, relics, weapons and power-ups. But no Tomb Raider achievement? What the hell?

Edit: Well, you have to beat the game with all items to get it. 200/200, yay!

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Amir0x said:
I can hardly approve any harder than I am!

I can't believe some of the top spot speed runs in this game. They're sick. People are sick :lol
Hey! I'm damned proud of my #1 time for Spider Tomb tyvm. I'm ranked #2 on Temple of Light and for the life of me cannot figure out how that guy got 2:17. If I had a perfect run, I still could probably only shave a couple seconds off.

Daigoro

Daigoro said:
im having a few technical issues. wondering if anyone else is experiencing the same.

when the game autosaves it does a slight pause, sometimes a little longer than a slight pause.. this happens during the action and occasionally screw things up. for instance. i fell off of a ledge because of a pause once.

i also had 2 lock ups today. once when i was coming out of the item menu, and once when i was loading a new level.

anyone else experience any of this?

i have it loaded on a usb stick. its a brand new 16gig stick thats still has plenty of room left (about 11g). i guess ill try to transfer or re-download to the HD to see if that the issue. im kind of hoping it isnt since this is what i bought the thing for in the first place.

anyone? is anyone getting pauses when it autosaves? can i get a confirmation on that at least? :p

Keir have you heard anything about this, or can you check with someone?

ill try installing it to the HD when i get a chance and report back.

RiccochetJ said:
Hey! I'm damned proud of my #1 time for Spider Tomb tyvm. I'm ranked #2 on Temple of Light and for the life of me cannot figure out how that guy got 2:17. If I had a perfect run, I still could probably only shave a couple seconds off.

yeah i was looking at that time today. that seems impossible. but so does your 3+ min run as well. nice work. got any tips?

Keir_Eidos

Eidos Loves You
Daigoro said:
Keir have you heard anything about this, or can you check with someone?

It should be fine from the HD.

I guess it could be down to a variable with the USB stick like seek time or access speed or something.

I spoke to the head QA guy who said it's best to put the save files on the HDD to avoid the problem.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Daigoro said:
yeah i was looking at that time today. that seems impossible. but so does your 3+ min run as well. nice work. got any tips?

Sure! Here's the rundown for the Spider Tomb:
You can use your land mine to blast yourself across the gap at the beginning and really for any other gap, it just takes timing and practice. Next a correct placement of a mine will blast the boulder into the first fire pit. Practice getting the hole in one for the second fire pit.
Now, do it all in one run ;)

Amir0x

Banned
RiccochetJ said:
You can use your land mine to blast yourself across the gap at the beginning and really for any other gap, it just takes timing and practice. Next a correct placement of a mine will blast the boulder into the first fire pit. Practice getting the hole in one for the second fire pit.

snap @ the "blast yourself across the gap" tip :eek:

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Amir0x said:
snap @ the "blast yourself across the gap" tip :eek:
Yea, it gives you just that little bit more distance. It's pivotal for speed runs in this game. I'm working on the second level right now and there's one area where the margin for error is extremely small. Still trying to figure out the timing for that one so I can do it consistently.

Daigoro

this game is SO much more fun in co-op guys. holy crap.

though there are a few quirks.

ive played up to the toxic swamp in co-op and its just a blast. i love the grappling hook. :D

Keir_Eidos said:
It should be fine from the HD.

I guess it could be down to a variable with the USB stick like seek time or access speed or something.

I spoke to the head QA guy who said it's best to put the save files on the HDD to avoid the problem.

thanks for checking.

huh ok. so the save file should be on the HD, and the game will probably be ok on the USB maybe?

i really need to do some experimenting with this. the problem is that ive been bringing the game over to other people 360's, so obviously its more convinent for me to have everything on the flash drive itself.

im going to clear my cache and redownload the game itself straight to the usb (i transfered over last time and there seemed to be some vestigial remians left on the HD for some reason that i had to delete.)

ill try a few things this weekend and post back with my findings.

RiccochetJ said:

wow cool. thanks.

man, id love to have leaderboard replays on this game. they kind of missed the boat on that one.

any game with times runs and leaderboard should really have that as a feature.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Yes! Ranked #2 at 3:02.396 on the second level. Man the timing for that one was a pain. Hey, Keir_Eidos. 1st place is at 2:40. Once again is there something I'm missing? I just want to know if some of these times are reasonable or should I stop wasting my time trying to figure out how they did it? I'm not a fan of, "If you stand over here and then you teleport" type thing even though I can appreciate those people who scour the maps. I would be interested in knowing what QA thinks is the time for a perfect run for these levels.

I have a sneaking suspicion that some are able to have their relic meter full immediately and don't lose it even if they take damage.

Some relics give you even more speed boost

Either way, on to the next level to conquer!

Have I mentioned I love this game? Even in it's current non-online form, I've played coop over at a buddies house and it's like seeing the levels for the first time in some places.

edit:
PS.
Actually, I've had the fist come down and block the doors during the 'pause' a couple of times, but it's very rare and I've no idea how to reproduce it. It's the part after the collapsing bridge for the second sun. Definitely could have cut at least 5 seconds off my time if it happened on my best run ;)

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
the demo was amazing! I wasn't expecting something so clever from this. I'll probably buy it for PC when it comes out over the 360 version, but all the same, what an ace demo. I hope the full game lives up to it. I'd imagine the co-op will be amazing.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Ranked 8th on level 8 (ha!)

That one's a cluster except for 1st place which is winning by around a second. Time to work on execution.

bryehn

Finally got around to finishing my solo run. What a great game, the last boss fight is intense!

Took me 7.5 hours and I probably only grabbed 60% of everything on my way through. Excellent value if you ask me.

Daigoro

well the game runs a lot smoother if the game and the saves are on the HD instead of my usb stick. now im just wondering if there is a read issue with my stick or if its just the way the game is optimized.

unfortunate. but i guess if i bring it over to a friends house i can always just take the time to transfer it over to the HD to play.

Top Bottom