• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Xbox Scorpio

EvB

So nothing about actual games in any of this information or examples of how it will actually improve games? Just pure tech talk?

They talk about Forza 6 with max. vehicles running at 4k 60FPS and only hitting max. 70% CPU utilisation, ported in 2 days.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
RX480 vs. GTX1070
Rx480%20vs%201070.jpg

This system won't be cheap. The performance should be good for the cost. It will perform better than PS4 Pro by a reasonably decent margin.

As I said before:
Console_money_buys.jpg

Carn82

Because this system is designed to last. A lot of thought went into this thing. It's going to be all I need for at least another 5-6 years.

I doubt that. It will be obsolete -IF- Sony announces a PS based on Zen / Vega, which will probably launch, or atleast be announced before 2020.

Aspiring

Personally even though it's more powerful and i do enjoy my one s, the fact that they showed Forza....man. it's like Microsoft never gonna learn. You just know that it's just gonna have the same games as the one has now and thats just the gears/halo/forza combo. I would love to be wrong but what points to me being wrong?

Nzyme32

i'm not a PC gamer savy guy so: does this mean scorpio is close to the top of the line?

Not really, but still pretty damn good. Top line on PC is approaching 11.3TF from nvidia, but even that is a poor metric, as if you do a straight comparison of real world game performance between AMD and Nvidia, nvidia is always far superior.

It's super nitpicky though - you will NEVER get that kind of performance advantage at a reasonable price point when trying to create a console.

Chances are Scorpio will have a reasonable price. Even at $499, assuming GTX 1070 level performance, it's excellent value for money. I've said this with PS4 Pro (which needs a price drop now) but at launch and even at "fauxK checkboarding Vaseline" (hyperbole intended), it was still excellent value for money at launch and quality.

The only stupid thing with PS4 Pro (and just consoles in general) is bullshit marketing. Now MS will talk about "true 4K" which they should because it's actually true, while we have to call PS4 Pro's various resolutions "4K" too, just as we have done with 900P and other "supercharged PC" wonders. Just put out the facts and let everyone have a good ass time already. Marketing is like politics where your just sat there reading between the lines, so it's good to see MS just drop the specs and details (although likely not giving room for DF to go very far in terms of criticism; as with all exclusive product journalism).

JaggedSac

Well let's be clear, these changes aren't in the same world as a Zen upgrade. It's nice (and in fact basically required), but not huge or amazing.

Yeah, seems like a "fuck we have to use jaguar, what kind of shit can we do to mitigate that".

ffvorax

So it's a bit more powerful PS4 pro? Nice for Xbox owners!

The games exclusives, as always, will do the difference. (also price...)

Cj01

I see people saying "wait till Sony strikes back next year"

It might be just me but I dont think we get anything from anyone till 2020 getting ready for next gen. thoughts? Will we really have this back and forth between each company?

Marmelade

What kind of cooling system does PS4 Pro use?

I need this to be much quieter, XBO level of quiet at best. Is this reasonable to expect?

Hardware wise, it sounds like Scorpio will be more of a premium product than the Pro so I expect it be quieter
I have a Pro and ther's nothing premium about it (not talking specs but the console itself)

Lucifon

Somehow this was even more boring than the ps4pro announcement.
Not sure if trolling but this thing wasn't an announcement of a system. It's a digital foundry exclusive to reveal final specs. A console reveal will happen seperate.

redfirm

Banned
I usually buy all consoles in a gen but have yet to jump in on xbox this gen. Got a ps4pro and 4k at launch and this is more like the upgrade I wished the ps4pro would be.

Having said that, games are where consoles live and die and everything MS has been doing in the last few years has turned me off where as Sony are killing it with the exclusives and new experiences, feels like the PS2 era when it comes to japanese games.

Can't see this console changing that for MS. This'll just make Forza, Gears etc look incredible. Great for those into those franchises. Look forward to seeing just what this thing can do.

this. this is a huge problem for xbox. their gaming department just sucks imo.

I want to know how the performance is when all the cars start driving. The GPU use will go higher and framerate will then go below 60.

Oh my sweet child, Forza doesn't drop frames.

The start of the race when all the cars are bunched together like that is the most demanding part of a race as well, if you watch the video he says that the GPU use actually dropped to around 50-55% at times during the race.

Luminaire

I can't watch the videos because I'm at work with wifi that rivals the Amish, but could someone point out how this will affect 360 games?

von zipp

My personal verdict: Overachieved my expectations on the GPU side of things and on par what was hoping for CPU improvements. Especially as the CPU is offloaded to a major degree to the GPU itself. Glad they mad the CPU a custom design to meet the requirements they have set themselves even it is not Zen based!

Most importantly I am super happy that existing games will all be able to use the full power of the console to reach their target resolutions and frames locked.

I will definitely will be an owner of that console!

My thoughts exactly.

It was never going to come close to my PC and if they still insist on releasing all of their first party exclusives on both it makes no sense for me, personally to get one.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
So nothing other than specs?

An empty video on how it might help older gamer? Where is the Tadnothing.gif?

Taker666

$399 would certainly make the PS4 Pro look vastly overpriced (considering Scorpio's better specs and ability to play 4K Ultra HD discs) and would create some strong early hype...

..on the flipside I could see Microsoft launching at $499 for early adopters (as they'll likely sell all the hardware they make for 2017) and then drop to $399 for holiday 2018.

Enough of this nonsense.

You knew what today was going to be about. You don't need to be clairvoyant to understand that this machine is superior to the Pro.

I was extremely excited about today! In fact I posted yesterday about this. Do you have PS4 Pro and also want Scorpio? If not, your concerns are different than mine.

Gestault

So nothing about actual games in any of this information or examples of how it will actually improve games? Just pure tech talk?

They said the resolution options like 4K and downsampling for 1080p would be standardized for all games (where applicable), and Atmos support would now be firmware standard.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Hard to support something that's not out yet.

So they aren't supporting the current xbox one at all, the list of Japanese games not on it this year is kind of unbelievable, but they're going to hop on board because there's a more expensive machine coming out?

Papacheeks

Banned
...who's to say there won't be?

They've been quiet thus far this year but, clearly, there is a lot to announce. I'm half expecting a re-launch of Xbox this fall but we'll see.

Look at the size of the board (in relation to the optical drive) and consider the insanely high GPU clock speeds on that thing. That is impressive engineering.

People like SHinobi among others who know people said not to expect a lot past what we've already seen.

So take that for what it is I guess.

If they show crack down, forza, and games that have already released with a look into halo 6, I don't see it being that exciting for people as those franchises outside of SOT, crackdown have tired their audience.

Scorpio needs new blood for software, and showning off a bunch of Multiplats at E3 with those mentioned games isn't going to drown out what possibly NIntendo and Sony are going to show.

As a long-time but now lapsed Xbox fan:

This reveal kind of sucked? Yea the Pro reveal was garbage. But this did nothing for me. I guess they want to wait until E3 to really show off but by then I think I'll be more focused on other things.

Yjynx

Can some one explain it to me better.

Seems the improvement for older game are more or less the same way as PS4 Pro? and they're definitely still using some sort of Jaguar chip variance?

Isnt this exactly the same as PS4 Pro? whats the difference?

Izuna

Banned
I figured you would enjoy the inclusion of FreeSync + HDMI 2.1 Variable Refresh and forced 16x AF across all games.

Can't speak for Durante, but ofc that stuff is nice. It's nice if you have FreeSync or when HDMI 2.1 gets any use in the future for when television use it. That's it really, it's nice.

Forced 16xAF is something that should have happened a long time ago, but it's really just good for going back to older games to make them look a little like they would on a mid-spec PC anyways

~~

As nice as the Scoprio's spec may be, there's nothing new here. Ever since the Pro's launch we all knew about what this means.

dottme

My issue with everything he was saying is the heat issue. He discussed it quickly at the end but without too much details.
I'm expecting a huge expensive box like the Xbox One. But at least it will be powerful this time.

Prithee Be Careful

Industry Professional
A 12GB monster, with cutting edge liquid cooling and UHD Blu-ray player. I suspect we'll see some seriously impressive visuals from it, but people should be bracing for the pricepoint, because this won't come cheap.

AmyS

So Scorpio is basically a 7 billion transistor SoC (the Scorpio Engine) a full-fat Polaris GPU with 40 CUs (PS4 Pro has 36 CUs) that is highly overclocked to hit exactly 6.0 TFLOPs.
Jaguar CPU @ 2.3 GHz.

The big news is full DX12 feature set built into the front-end of the hardware.

12 GB GDDR5 RAM -384-bit memory bus. 326 GB/sec bandwidth -

8 GB usable for games.

I'll bet it's not going to be a penny over $399.99 which is awesome.

Top Bottom