• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTD| Oh, you're reading manga? How cute...

Zweizer

Banned
Tomo-chan wa Onna no ko! ch547-548

Back to the old days we go.

Hitoribocchi no OO Seikatsu ch43

Hanging around friends is fun~ She still has trouble with strangers though.

Hitoribocchi_no_OO_Seikatsu_-_Vol.4_Ch.43_Read_O.png

I think they're enjoying this.

Kekkon Yubiwa Monogatari ch27

They're doing pretty well all things considered.

Populating the world with catgirls? A totally noble goal.

Mob Psycho 100 ch98.11

This is the future of humanity.

Golden Kamuy 90

Hokkaido Brown bears are some of the biggest and toughest bears in the world and this dude just judo flipped one and it decided to walk away

Conan-san

Kekkon Yubiwa Monogatari ch27

They're doing pretty well all things considered.

Populating the world with catgirls? A totally noble goal.

It's hilariously cliché but I did laugh when it turns out she's made a cat posse.

Wew lad.
The Nazi symbolism was present in the first chapter, but I see they went all the way.

U19 bottomed out of the last two week's worth of rankings. This whole "Surprise! We weren't just playacting as Nazis this whole time!" thing strikes me as something that crops up at the arse end of a comic's run.

We just happen to have a very short man of a comic here, god willing.

bobohoro

Tomo-chan 547-548

Making progress.
By going in circles.

Prison School 248

Too obvious. This scene reminds me of those good old times with Kyoshi and Hana under the blankets. Doesn't feel quite as exciting the second time around. Although I can imagine Mitsuko busting their party at least.
Or joining.
Who knows anymore.

Foolworm

So, I watched In this Corner of the World and went on a binge of Fumiyo Kouno's works. It's a very old school style of the Doraemon / Sazae-san kind; too bad Jmanga went under so her works are out of print.

Re-reading Yunagi no Machi was melancholy. That reminds me I should do so for Cross Game too.

Fbh

The promised Neverland 34
Cool chapter. Also nice to see Norman still had a hand in all of this.
I wonder what Phil will do.

Attack on Titan 92
The whole Titan warfare thing is cool. Some great scenes and solid art this chapter.
I'm still not sure who they are fighting against.

Burned through:

Dungeon Meshi
Mastubation Master Kurosawa
Molester Man
Angel Densetsu
Bonnouji

All excellent. The last four were surprisingly touching and heartfelt. Well done Manga thread. You have yet to steer me wrong.

Glad to see my recs worked out for you.

But definitely check out the other recommendations.

Numb

Hey, psst:

Sexual Instinct and the Hydrogen Bomb War & The End of Sexual Instinct and the Hydrogen Bomb War

you just like the name and combo
Burned through:

Dungeon Meshi
Mastubation Master Kurosawa
Molester Man
Angel Densetsu
Bonnouji

All excellent. The last four were surprisingly touching and heartfelt. Well done Manga thread. You have yet to steer me wrong.

Check Hinamatsuri out if you haven't already
And A world that i rule for fucked up and very lewd
Very

Attack on Titan 92

So this is the future then... a few after Reiner failed

they literally but the meaning of "standby for titanfall" to use lol

Promised Neverland

PHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIL

Fbh

Shingeki #92

Literally who are these people.

The side with the Titans is the kingdom of Marley. The "bad guys", the ones that sent the colossal Titan and all of that.

And the people this is focusing on seems to be a group of soldiers that are competing to receive the power of the Titan.

As to who they are fighting and why I have no idea.

ryan13ts

Attack on Titan 92

Forget the chapter, is that cover page seriously the main characters recreating this?

Reaction_guys.jpg

If so, that's amazing... and random as fuuuuck.

I think I read all the best Shoujo first, because the last three Shoujo I've finished have convinced me the average IQ in Japan is much, much lower than I could have ever imagined. In particular, the scenes where the main male love interests stands alone with the protagonist and says all that he can possibly say to make her realize he's in love with her... only to have 12 panels of close-up as she silently stares at him and forms magic bubbles ultimately resulting in a huge misunderstanding which she is unable to fix until 5 chapters later when the whole thing repeats itself. That scene makes me think mental illness might be rampant in Japanese high schools and more medical attention should be provided.

Edit: This motherfucker finally gets a rock solid confession - like, 6 "I love you"s in a row. I swear if the next chapter involves them misunderstanding each other I'm getting a plane ticket to Japan.

I think I read all the best Shoujo first, because the last three Shoujo I've finished have convinced me the average IQ in Japan is much, much lower than I could have ever imagined. In particular, the scenes where the main male love interests stands alone with the protagonist and says all that he can possibly say to make her realize he's in love with only to have 12 panels of close-up as she silently stares at him and forms magic bubbles ultimately resulting in a huge misunderstanding which she is unable to fix until 5 chapters later when the whole thing repeats itself. That scene makes me think mental illness might be rampant in Japanese high schools and more medical attention should be provided.

Yeah. I don't wanna be close-minded or an ass or insulting due to my own tastes, but I've read some really good shoujo and once I read like "the greats" or one or two good ones...I've found like a whopping 0 I enjoy.

I think it's mostly the art and archetypes they use =/

Probably why I read so much more josei (despite it having it's own issues)

Yeah. I don't wanna be close-minded or an ass or insulting due to my own tastes, but I've read some really good shoujo and once I read like "the greats" or one or two good ones...I've found like a whopping 0 I enjoy.

I was on a pretty good streak. Ao Haru Ride, Mashikaku Rock, Don't Cry Girl, Strobe Edge - all excellent. Then it went downhill from there. I checked the Taisho awards and saw Kimi ni Todoke was pretty highly regarded. Figured it might break the streak. Unreadable. Physically painful to read.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Attack on Titan 92

Forget the chapter, is that cover page seriously the main characters recreating this?

Reaction_guys.jpg

If so, that's amazing... and random as fuuuuck.
That specific meme was really really popular in Japan. Like orders of magnitude more popular than the US.

cntr

Banned
The issue is that shoujo series are 90% romance, and manga romance is shit regardless of demographic. (Unless you read something better like Ore Monogatari or Horimiya, of course.)

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Wave, Listen To Me! vol.1

26-year-old Minare is sitting at a bar drinking herself into oblivion. Her boyfriend not only left her but ran off with some of her money, see, and some stranger who says he works at a radio station has offered to lend an ear, so she unloads all her problems on him while chugging away. Suddenly she wakes up back at her apartment, realizing she blacked out but nothing appears to have happened, she goes back to sleep. Next day while serving bread at the curry shop she's clearly not gonna be employed at for much longer, she hears her drunken self over the radio, yelling about how men from Fukuoka ain't shit and compliant women disgust her, among other topics. When the customers start asking her questions, she drops everything and races off to the radio station, where she storms in and demands they cut the tape. The guy who recorded her at the bar agrees, but only if she takes over live for a bit, which she does and, of course, has an immediate impact on the listeners.

Vol. 1 of Wave is all setup and introduction for Minare. She's every bit as loud and brash as the volume cover suggests. Her personal life is a dumpster fire, but there's very little self-doubt or whining about it, instead she's always pushing forward. I like that, that her life is a mess but she doesn't carry herself like a loser. She's got an infectious middle fingers in the air attitude and she's also a laugh riot, so she won me over quickly. And, well, I can't imagine liking this manga without liking her - despite some decent side characters, this is certainly The Minare Show - so it's important Samura knocked it out the park with his heroine.

Speaking of Samura, dude's never really struck me as all that funny, so I wasn't sure what to expect. With Wave, he is more hit than miss. Execution of jokes, facial expressions, comedic timing, etc. all work out. This is so much more polished and entertaining than something like Ohikkoshi. There's a decent bit of pop culture references though, and while I understand what he's going for when Minare wakes up in the afternoon and says she feels like she just crawled out of The Walking Dead, there are other points, like when he makes a song reference to a late '80s Japanese punk band, that go right over my head. I mean, it's cool reading the little blurbs that explain this, but jokes like that are still lost on me. There's enough material outside of that for me to say this is still quality comedy overall, mind you.

Read all of vol. 1 in a single sitting and bought the second vol. immediately after, though I'll get to that later this weekend. Hopefully Samura stays consistent, because Himare and her shit talking are off to a strong start.

Zweizer

Banned
I was on a pretty good streak. Ao Haru Ride, Mashikaku Rock, Don't Cry Girl, Strobe Edge - all excellent. Then it went downhill from there. I checked the Taisho awards and saw Kimi ni Todoke was pretty highly regarded. Figured it might break the streak. Unreadable. Physically painful to read.

Have you read 7 Seeds, Shishunki Bitter Change, Onna na no de Shouganai, Taiyou no Ie, They Were 11, and Glass Mask?

The issue is that shoujo series are 90% romance, and manga romance is shit regardless of demographic. (Unless you read something better like Ore Monogatari or Horimiya, of course.)

I'd say it's less manga and more fiction in general. Romance is hard to actually portray in a meaningful way for most people, which is why the series that have decent-to-good romance stand out.

Zweizer

Banned
Hi Score Girl ch40

Conventions are fun at first, but ultimately there's little variation in the stands year to year. Meeting the people there matter more.

Too bad luck wasn't with him.

Catulus Syndrome ch3

So she has a unfair advantage in FPSes. No wonder she likes them.

iDOLM@STER Cinderella Girls - U149 10

And that's how Mirai learned the true meaning of Christmas. I could turn her into a decent character by changing one letter of her name.

Fancolors

I think I read all the best Shoujo first, because the last three Shoujo I've finished have convinced me the average IQ in Japan is much, much lower than I could have ever imagined. In particular, the scenes where the main male love interests stands alone with the protagonist and says all that he can possibly say to make her realize he's in love with her... only to have 12 panels of close-up as she silently stares at him and forms magic bubbles ultimately resulting in a huge misunderstanding which she is unable to fix until 5 chapters later when the whole thing repeats itself. That scene makes me think mental illness might be rampant in Japanese high schools and more medical attention should be provided.

Edit: This motherfucker finally gets a rock solid confession - like, 6 "I love you"s in a row. I swear if the next chapter involves them misunderstanding each other I'm getting a plane ticket to Japan.
Try Ane Nochi Hare and Oresama Teacher.

In the comments section of VIZ JUMP people seem to say they picked up Dr.Stone. I don't know what's their source, but they all seem to agree.

And that was before this past weeks "what was your top 4" so I guess dr stone did extremely well.
I guessing the atstyle plays for a lot here. Boichi has very strong art. Of course the first 3 chapters were also pretty cool.

Of course since they have no source I'm a little doubtful, but it wouldn't surprise me that much.

Fluttering Heart (NSFW doujin)
"I have good news and bad news. Your wife is turning into an insect."
"What's the bad news?"

Nakamura Regura spinning his usual monster girl magnificence, about a loving couple with communication problems. So they resolve their issues in the way that NSFW doujin characters typically do. Features cuteness and lewdness in unequal proportions, with the exquisite MG art you've come to expect. I wonder about the status of their child, but her progression halting can probably serve as an indirect answer to that.

Top Bottom