• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony X800D well - reviewed, 4k+HDR TV with low input lag

Trashbat

HDR isnt supposed to look vibrant.
its supposed to look more natural, which in turn makes it 'appear' more washed out if you are used to everything glowing with neon colours.

Ok, yeah I've heard that before, I wouldn't say I was used to it glowing with neon colours as you describe, but maybe its just personal preference. I personally find the (adjusted) game mode too dull. I've read somewhere that the game mode is really designed to minimise input lag which is obviously really important to MP games, but for SP experiences, maybe its worth all the post-processing extras as I don't really notice any lag when playing.
I've been playing a lot of horizon recently, and I find the internal areas (e.g caves/ruins) difficult to navigate in game mode as its too dull to distinguish pathways properly.

This isn't a criticism of the TV, which overall I find fantastic and i'm, really happy with. I'm just not sure if I've got it setup right for great SP experiences

PS4Pro too for what its worth.

Ultra noob question:

When people say "game mode" they refer to the "picture game mode"? Because I have my TV set in game mode but as soon as I put a game that features HDR the TV changes to Video HDR mode. I find it fantastic visualwise and haven't notice any lag so far (playing Andromeda SP) and if I change it to game mode again it looks horrible in comparison.

HDR isnt supposed to look vibrant.
its supposed to look more natural
, which in turn makes it 'appear' more washed out if you are used to everything glowing with neon colours.

This is exactly how my TV looks in Video HDR.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another thing:

How's HDR work in movies and stuff? I only have a PS4 Pro so it's either through that or Netflix or YouTube or whatever. So far, I haven't seen much but every time I turn HDR on for movies it looks like shit but I haven't touched much. :/

Edit: I imagine it's because the content I'm watching doesn't feature HDR so I'm forcing it.

Madness

I have the 49" version of this TV (X80).

I've put the tv in game mode and adjusted for settings from the rtings site, but perhaps its just me but in most cases I still prefer the 'default' setting with the motionflow setting enabled.

I just find that in comparison, the image offered by game mode seems dull/washed out.

I'm playing games like horizon, FF15, and yeah they look pretty, but I just find the scenes more vibrant (especially with HDR) under the normal setting.

Perhaps I haven't got it configured right?? Would appreciate if anyone else is thinking the same or has advice.

Game mode prioritizes input lag above all else. So it turns off a lot of image processing. If you are finding vivid or standard more to your liking, use them. Or use game mode to mimic vivid a bit by increasing live color, color, black levels.

I find that I get the best HDR image when I am playing Vivid with HDR on some single player games. But then it is very artificially processed and I sacrifice some input lag. Also, some games state HDR but they weren't properly made for it. Case in point Mass Effect Andromeda. The remnant vaults look amazing in 4k+HDR but basic gameplay on the Nexus looks dull as shit.

Is 1080p content going to look worse on a 4k display, presumably? I was considering upgrading to this TV at some point this year, but I worry that I'm going to be noticing a slight drop in image quality with 1080p content. Or are my worries unfounded?

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Is 1080p content going to look worse on a 4k display, presumably? I was considering upgrading to this TV at some point this year, but I worry that I'm going to be noticing a slight drop in image quality with 1080p content. Or are my worries unfounded?

It upscales like a champ.

v1ncelis

Thanks for responses guys - seems like everything is fine now.
I tried cables, different HDMI, soft reset, different picture modes, even different socket with no luck.
Factory reset fixed it. Still if that happens again I will ask for replacement while I'm still under warranty.

justino

Neo Member
You only appear in this thread to nit pick.
That's because I paid money for one of these and I learned the hard way and hate to see people convincing themselves that what they're experiencing is acceptable and that grey blacks and washed out HDR colours are how it's supposed to be. This is not a good HDR set. It gets nowhere near any sort of accepted base standard. That's why so many people are posting about settings and confused about what they're seeing because this set is pretty much a con if you bought it for that feature.
It IS a good set for 1080p material and SDR. It has a fantastic upscaler and good input lag for gaming. But please everyone be clear that it is appalling for HDR material - especially in the 49" variant.

ordrin

This is not a good HDR set. It gets nowhere near any sort of accepted base standard.

well ill believe what rtings say above someone like you who mearly appears to post dissent and laud their oled tv, costing far far more, over everyone.

they say its good.

it has a 10bit panel which is the 'base standard' for hdr
which renders your 'nowhere near any sort of' drivel as moot.

the only thnig this tv doesnt do well is peak brightness. 300+nits is only a third of what is the accepted standard.

zedge

That's because I paid money for one of these and I learned the hard way and hate to see people convincing themselves that what they're experiencing is acceptable and that grey blacks and washed out HDR colours are how it's supposed to be. This is not a good HDR set. It gets nowhere near any sort of accepted base standard. That's why so many people are posting about settings and confused about what they're seeing because this set is pretty much a con if you bought it for that feature.
It IS a good set for 1080p material and SDR. It has a fantastic upscaler and good input lag for gaming. But please everyone be clear that it is appalling for HDR material - especially in the 49" variant.

Eh.. opinions

This set is fantastic for the price. The difference to the higher end models is not enough to justify the price for many, me included.

To add, I don't find HDR to be washed out. The colours are great. It's not eye melting like a OLED but I think sometimes the colours look too saturated on those tvs. To the point where it is no longer lifelike. My opinion of course.

graybot

Does anyone here have the European 55” version of this TV?

In general I am very happy with it, but Im not sure I have the settings to maximise the HDR

bosseye

But please everyone be clear that it is appalling for HDR material - especially in the 49" variant.

Ehhhhhh....I have the 49" and I've been very pleased with the HDR content I've watched on it. Looks obviously better than non HDR content to my eyes anyway. It's bright enough to make me squint on occasion and yes, it's not up there with the peak nit levels and super deep blacks of other more expensive TVs; but I only paid £500 odd quid so for that price it's more than acceptable. It's a solid value proposition for 4k HDR if you're on a tighter budget.

Madness

I don't think you're understanding. This is a budget to mid end HDR set. Saying that it has washed out HDR colors is flat out not true. Its one issue is that it only hits 400 nits of sustained brightness. In a really bright room or daytime this is a bigger issue than in a dark room or at night. Even my KS8000 while it can hit over 1100 nits, it sustains only at 400. The cost is also exponentially more.

The goal of this thread and this set was to give people a cheap but good option to get 4K and HDR on their sets. Nothing else touches this set even now. Rtings still recommends this set for budget HDR gaming.

http://ca.rtings.com/tv/reviews/best/by-usage/hdr-gaming

I watch HDR between my 65" KS8000 and X800D. I am honestly impressed both times. I think HDR gaming looks great. I own the 43" version of this set.

justino

Neo Member
well ill believe what rtings say above someone like you who mearly appears to post dissent and laud their oled tv, costing far far more, over everyone.

they say its good.

it has a 10bit panel which is the 'base standard' for hdr
which renders your 'nowhere near any sort of' drivel as moot.

the only thnig this tv doesnt do well is peak brightness. 300+nits is only a third of what is the accepted standard.

I mentioned the OLED a couple of times but I'm really not trying to point score - my issue is that HDR is being implemented on sets like this and as you point out yourself - it is a 1/3 of the accepted standard. I bought this set - I wanted it to be good and was massively disappointed. I think the 49" may be worse than the 43" based on the panel type but because both don't have local dimming you're going to have problems - that's why people are talking about turning down the brightness on HDR sources - which is completely the opposite of what should happen - it should be locked and unchangeable. I just think that Sony and others are riding the HDR bandwagon with sub par sets because HDR is the latest buzz - in a year or two this won't be an issue - but for me, the KS8000 is the cheapest way to go to get a decent HDR experience. It's clearly my opinion and therefore subjective but there is also plenty of material out there which rightly praises the strengths of this TV but also makes it clear that black levels and HDR performance are sub-par.

ordrin

I mentioned the OLED a couple of times but I'm really not trying to point score - my issue is that HDR is being implemented on sets like this and as you point out yourself - it is a 1/3 of the accepted standard.

HDR is not only about peak brightness.

it seems you dont understand that as your wording clearly states 'hdr is being implemented at 1/3 of the accepted standard'

nope.. brightness is approximately 1/3 of a 1000nit desired max.. wide color gamut is correct. hdr10 support is correct. 10bit panel is correct.

even your beloved oled tv's dont get very good peak brightness scores. especially sustained scores.
the b6 oled drops like a stone if you try and display a bright image for more than a few seconds.

so, your spite and bile is based only on 1 thing. whereas hdr itself is based on many things.

v1ncelis

So yeah, my TV is probably done. Screen is continue to flicker and factory reset doesn't help anymore.
Contacted amazon and choose replacement. Now I'm with no TV until replacement arrives and I'm just started Witcher 3 :/

justino

Neo Member
HDR is not only about peak brightness.

it seems you dont understand that as your wording clearly states 'hdr is being implemented at 1/3 of the accepted standard'

nope.. brightness is approximately 1/3 of a 1000nit desired max.. wide color gamut is correct. hdr10 support is correct. 10bit panel is correct.

even your beloved oled tv's dont get very good peak brightness scores. especially sustained scores.
the b6 oled drops like a stone if you try and display a bright image for more than a few seconds.

so, your spite and bile is based only on 1 thing. whereas hdr itself is based on many things.
Spite and bile? Really?

I just quoted you which was as follows:
'the only thnig this tv doesnt do well is peak brightness. 300+nits is only a third of what is the accepted standard."

These are YOUR words.

How much them 65-70 inchers tho?

Get the X900E. That's what I plan to pick up at 49" or 55". But they also have 65" for $2300 and 75" for $4300.

The KS8000 ship has sailed. You will soon only find them used or open boxed. The X900E is now the best TV in that class, according rtings.com.

The X800D is a great budget TV, but 49" is as big as it goes.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Spite and bile? Really?

I just quoted you which was as follows:
'the only thnig this tv doesnt do well is peak brightness. 300+nits is only a third of what is the accepted standard."

These are YOUR words.

Only after heavy editing. Nits is only one component of the standard. It isn't the only one which is what you like to claim.

Sorry to keep asking but does anyone with this TV and PS4 Pro get where you go to the black screen and then your picture comes back wth the black bar at the top displaying channel and resolution?

Madness

Does that mean that 1080p Blu-Rays, for example, would look as good or better on this new TV?

Better than what you would see elsewhere. It would look worse if compared to a 4K version. But Sony has the best image processing and upscalers in the industry. The 4K X-Reality Pro handles 1080p like a champ. Bested by only the 4K X1 or 4k X1 Extreme processors. It is hard to adjust though. For a while you will think that your 720p/1080i satellite or cable content looks like shit, worse than your older television, but there is only so much you can do.

I can't wait for proper 4K broadcasts soon.

Better than what you would see elsewhere. It would look worse if compared to a 4K version. But Sony has the best image processing and upscalers in the industry. The 4K X-Reality Pro handles 1080p like a champ. Bested by only the 4K X1 or 4k X1 Extreme processors. It is hard to adjust though. For a while you will think that your 720p/1080i satellite or cable content looks like shit, worse than your older television, but there is only so much you can do.

Cable content does look like shit.

Ugh, you're making me think that maybe I *don't* want a new TV this year. I really just want something bigger than I currently have, but if I'm only really seeing a benefit to games played on a PS4 Pro, then wouldn't I be better served just waiting? Or perhaps just get a bigger, nicer 1080p display?

SheHateMe

I'll just quote myself from earlier in this thread.

For me, honestly, it's not.

When I booted up HZD in my PS4 Pro last night and played it, both my wife and my sister-in-law audibly said WOW. There was a part where the sun was shining on Young Aloy and I very much so had to squint my eyes because it was so bright. It looks GREAT on my 49 inch, and I have zero buyer's remorse.

To every detractor in this thread: I get it, it's a mid-range TV. I wanted a LG B6, but I didn't have $2k+ to drop on a TV at the time. I'm not a fan of playing the Samsung lottery, so I skipped the KS8000. But for what I paid for it, this TV is EXCELLENT.

Again, I get it. You get what you pay for. I paid for mid range. I didn't buy a Nissan Altima expecting the speed and power of a Nissan 370Z.

Right now, the LG OLEDs are the best TVs for 4k HDR content, but that doesn't mean that this Sony product is just trash. It's not.

It's really good, bordering on great, even.

Madness

Ugh, you're making me think that maybe I *don't* want a new TV this year. I really just want something bigger than I currently have, but if I'm only really seeing a benefit to games played on a PS4 Pro, then wouldn't I be better served just waiting? Or perhaps just get a bigger, nicer 1080p display?

I mean 1080p is still 1080p. Even with newer upscaling it is 1080p. No different than watching a DVD on an upscaled dvd player on a 1080p tv. Still looked worse than blu-ray. Thr point is for the PS4 Pro and 4K and HDR gaming. I couldn't be happier with the set especially for the price.

If you are buying it only for 1080p, you may as well hold off until more 4K content is out. Even the best television on the market will still not give you a better image at 720p/1080i/1080p than what you are probably already getting. Upscaling can only do so much.

I mean 1080p is still 1080p. Even with newer upscaling it is 1080p. No different than watching a DVD on an upscaled dvd player on a 1080p tv. Still looked worse than blu-ray. Thr point is for the PS4 Pro and 4K and HDR gaming. I couldn't be happier with the set especially for the price.

If you are buying it only for 1080p, you may as well hold off until more 4K content is out. Even the best television on the market will still not give you a better image at 720p/1080i/1080p than what you are probably already getting. Upscaling can only do so much.

That is extremely good to know! I might just wait, in that case, and look to get a deal on a 1080p display. That resolution still looks quite good to me (but maybe that's because I don't know what I'm missing).

Madness

That is extremely good to know! I might just wait, in that case, and look to get a deal on a 1080p display. That resolution still looks quite good to me (but maybe that's because I don't know what I'm missing).

I agree with the above poster. Don't waste money on any 1080p set. Either 4K and some variation of HDR or wait. Even a budget 4K set gives you the resolution boost. It is apples and oranges once you actually see 4K content with HDR.

RS4-

Personally, I couldn't justify the price difference between the X800D and the KS8000, no matter how much better the HDR is.

I can always use the money saved and put it towards another TV in a few years or PC upgrade instead.

styl3s

Except you were replying to someone else and cut out all their qualifiers and explanation. You pay attention good.

As good. Can't add detail that's not there.
What about blu-rays through a 4k upscale/4k player like the new sony x800 4k/upscaler?

I have a R9 280, it doesn't support HDMI 2.0 so I bought a Club3d Display Port to HDMI 2.0 adapter which allows me to get 4K @ 60hz 8 BPC.

I have the W10 creator's update. The PC is connected to HDMI 3, the ports are on enhanced mode etc.

The display settings in Windows 10 doesn't show the HDR option though. Is it because of the adapter?
Edit: It's not the adapter as I connected it directly to the HDMI port.

styl3s

Probably similar since the TV already has a very good built in upscaler.
Does it automatically scale them? Or is it an option i need to check? Wondering because i have been eying that player but i might just stick with the One S until black friday.

Toe-Knee

Sorry to keep asking but does anyone with this TV and PS4 Pro get where you go to the black screen and then your picture comes back wth the black bar at the top displaying channel and resolution?

You mean like when the source switches? Yes it does. All tvs will you get this when switching to something with HDR and again when it goes back to Sir its not intrusive though its literally a second at most.

Question, I'm sure I read that this TV supports 5.1 passthrough through HDMI Arc and Optical.

I have my PC connected to the TV like this:

GTX 1070 GPU connected directly to TV HDMI port 3 for Video.

TV has optical cable plugged into my Sony receiver.

TV sound settings are set to AUTO 1 for digital sound and Audio system for speakers.

In the PC sound settings, when I select surround sound and click the speaker icons for playback, it's not working properly. The left and right speakers come out but the center as well as rear speakers and sub don't come out right. The rear speakers sound as if it's coming out the front two speakers and the sub I hear nothing.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
This is pretty much a follow-up to my previous post. If one or a few of would be willing to help me out with a brief favor, I would greatly appreciate it.

Anyways, I had recently received a replacement set since I couldn't sort out the color banding/pasteurization issues I was having in non-HDR content (Games, films, etc). Unfortunately, I'm seeing the banding in the replacement as well. As detailed in the previous post, I've tried everything short of just moving on and investing into a completely different tv altogether.

To the point though, if one of you could view these screenshots on your PS4 and tell me if your set also shows the banding as well, I'd greatly appreciate it.

These are from GTA V. Most of the banding is visible on the water and the sky:

And these are the worst offenders, from Nier Automata. Spoilers for the game's credits I guess:

And for comparisons sake, here's what that credit sequence looks like on my tv:
http://i.cubeupload.com/KZiyj7.jpg

Shin-Ra

This is pretty much a follow-up to my previous post. If one or a few of would be willing to help me out with a brief favor, I would greatly appreciate it.
It looks like your TV, or its setup is amplifying the visibility of banding that is actually present in those 24-bit color games, and most games.

Try a game like Playdead's INSIDE on it and you should see relatively little banding even without any setup changes.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8058/28579132854_c2a02e2121_o.png

INSIDE smartly uses dithering to minimise 24-bit colour banding.

Now on the TV side, you should double check the console or computer (it'd help to know which) and TV are matching full or limited range RGB correctly. Use a TV picture mode like Graphics or Game and reduce the brightness and contrast from maximum a little. Black level should be left at 50.

Madness

Anyways, I had recently received a replacement set since I couldn't sort out the color banding/pasteurization issues I was having in non-HDR content (Games, films, etc). Unfortunately, I'm seeing the banding in the replacement as well. As detailed in the previous post, I've tried everything short of just moving on and investing into a completely different tv altogether.

To the point though, if one of you could view these screenshots on your PS4 and tell me if your set also shows the banding as well, I'd greatly appreciate it.

These are from GTA V. Most of the banding is visible on the water and the sky:

And these are the worst offenders, from Nier Automata. Spoilers for the game's credits I guess:

And for comparisons sake, here's what that credit sequence looks like on my tv:
http://i.cubeupload.com/KZiyj7.jpg

Honestly if you could highlight, circle or underline what you see would be best. Keep in mind this is an edge lit set with no local dimming.

Top Bottom