• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Vs. Capcom: Infinite Characters and Stages Roster |DT2| oh dear...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally I don't really care enough to get upset about no endings, especially if we don't even know if that's from the finished build. I want them of course, as long as they're not really horrible like whatever SFV's character stories were supposed to be

I did like MvC3s for the most part.

well

fudge

I don't know why I expected differently.

I was beginning to reconsider an early purchase (i.e. before 2018) riding the wave of positive impressions from Gamescom but that tanked all of that.

Lmao. All that single player content

Why the hell does arcade mode need endings when you have a 2 hour story mode right over there?

MVC3: These picture book endings are wack! Where's our real story mode?!?!

MvCi: Lol, no picture book endings? Clearly no effort was put in this game! (*ignores massive story mode that they begged for*)

Y'all can't be serious.

sinkfla87

Lack of character specific endings doesn't really bother me but probably because I didn't expect them either. I mean, the roster has kind of taken a hit and I figured that was because they blew a lot of money and resources creating the amazing story mode we're going to be getting.

I mean, this is going to be some winter soldier quality level shit! I'm going to sit through the end credits in hopes of getting a stinger for MvC:I2:InfinityXInfinitySquared!

Edit; In all seriousness, I didn't care for the endings of 3 either so I'm not missing anything lol.

Anth0ny

I don't care at all about single player, but it's little things like these that are going to add up and result in the game getting poor reviews/negative word of mouth, which will probably result in soft sales... which means no more Marvel vs Capcom for a long time.

And THAT I do care about.

mas8705

As nice as it would be to have "individual endings," I kind of feel like it isn't really needed so to speak. Don't get me wrong of course, but honestly, something like what we got for MvC2's ending would work out just fine. Have a sequence where everyone is celebrating that Ultron Sigma (If he will be the final boss) has been dealt with, and then something to show what they did with the infinity stones so that this won't happen again (and then as an added bonus, should the villains win like Ultron, Sigma, Jedah, etc. etc. show them dominant against the good guys and the start of the end of the world).

With everything that MvC:I gets hated on, I don't think people would take offense if it doesn't try and go all out for the arcade endings (or if people do, just take the Injustice, MvC3 route of using still images and show "what happened?" afterwards).

Dahbomb

Alright alright enough of this non sense, time for some real talk.

And by that I mean some THEORY CRAFT because we know all the characters in the base roster and what all the stones do.

This is my day 1 online scrub beater team that is easy to play on paper. No way is this top tier or meta team, at least I don't think it will be but just to give you an idea how team construction would work in the game.

Ghost Rider + Nemesis + Space

Now you are probably thinking "bbbbut Dahbomb, those characters are wack and Space stone sucks! You are going to get rushed down and zoned out all day!"

And you might be right but just hear me out for a little bit.

First lets tackle individual strengths of each of the characters and how they have changed from Marvel 3.

*Ghost Rider: The biggest change to Ghost Rider is that now Heartless Spire is a true normal meaning that it can be chained into via other normals (like you can do Ghost Rider's shoulder tackle and then immediately go into Heartless Spire) and cancel Spire into any special moves. This makes one of Ghost Rider's best moves into an insanely powerful rushdown deterrent move. If the move retains its projectile nullification ability then Ghost Rider can trade fireballs with it and then immediately punish with a long ranged whip special.

The other change that is noteworthy is that Ghost Rider can now chain into j.HK from his j.HP like regular characters. This is worth noting because j.HK in this game cause a type of ground bounce that you combo off of which means that if Ghost Rider tags people with j.HP at certain spaces he can convert into a combo by chaining into j.HK. This is a big deal for Ghost Rider as now he can get real damage from his main anti air/air to air move.

He has a new move that is perfect with the tag system but more on that later. In general his chain moves seem to be faster than before in terms of start up and especially recovery which is going to make it harder for people to punish him. Of course these things would not have been enough to make him a lot better in this game but of course these don't take into consideration the universal changes which I will get into after Nemesis.

*Nemesis: The biggest change to Nemesis in this game is that he has armor on most of his moves and not only does armor start up faster on his moves but it works differently. He can now absorb multiple smaller hits through his armor which means he should have the last say in most melee situations making him a powerhouse against rushdown when before someone like Wolverine would walk all over him. This is a big deal and now Nemesis is a proper big body that has good match ups against pure rushdown characters and teams.

The other change that is noteworthy is that his Rocket as a better angle option now and can be fired back to back faster. Of course perfect advancing guard kinda puts a damper on his rockets in general but if you are not predictable with your rockets you can squeeze them in. In addition, his noodles cause a knockdown off of an aerial hit which means that with tags he can get a combo off of them. That is a big deal because what is just something that Nemesis used to tickle with can now do some serious damage or at the very least set up a meaty situation for himself. Nemesis also has improved hypers especially his LVL3 (most LVL3s in the game are now instant activation) but that's not that important as the previous two changes.

Now let's talk about how the universal systems in Marvel Infinite benefit these characters:

Advancing Guard: Nemesis and Ghost Rider were never particularly good against characters who could zone and chip them out, especially high mobility ones. They were big body characters who would just sort of take stuff. Well with the perfect advancing guard system they can turn things on zoners quickly. Ghost Rider benefits 100% from this system as he himself presumably has no projectiles to reflect (maybe you can reflect Judgment Strike back at him but that remains to be seen and even if you could do it, it's not a big deal for him). Nemesis is hurt a bit by being able to reflect his rockets back at him but as long as he mixes them up and is not predictable, a mistimed push block can result in big damage taken from the rockets. But Nemesis still benefits a lot from this system as he is more powerful when he can reflect projectiles back at his opponents and then run behind it.

Chip Damage: Neither Nemesis nor Ghost Rider dealt significant chip damage in Marvel 3 so they benefit from this change. Their higher than normal HP pool means they can take a lot of punishment before they finally are able to get some hits in on the opponent with their noodles/whips. As far as zoning goes, there is now very little difference between Ghost Rider chucking chains versus another character throwing long ranged projectiles.

Chicken Guarding: Chicken guarding nerf helps out Ghost Rider in particular. Characters trying to chicken guard from a big distance away from Ghost Rider can get clipped by his sweep attack into a full combo. The nerfed chicken guard means it's also easier for Nemesis to clip people trying to jump back with his attacks (before it was harder for him because his normals were slower) and with characters less likely to jump back then can more easily predict command throws.

DUD jumping: Both characters have really big 360 covering hit box moves that benefit immensely from DUD jumping. Ghost Rider DUD jumping with j.HP is kinda obscene same for Nemesis's porcupine move in the air (what his j.H was in Marvel 3). These characters can now actually set up solo cross ups with it and put other characters in uncomfortable situations. At the very least, these low mobility characters benefit more from DUD jumping as this is a mobiltiy tool that they didn't have before. This also really benefits the way they try to zone which is jump up and do diagonal down noodles/whips.

Universal OTGs: While Ghost Rider had a good number of ways to OTGs, they were usually very redundant and not very noteworthy. However, now that Ghost Rider can do stuff like OTG with his long ranged sweep that changes up things a lot. Same for Nemesis who has very weak OTG game in Marvel 3, this now opens up huge combo avenues for him. This is a big buff to both of them but especially Ghost Rider who can now OTG from really far away spaces.

Damage scaling/Meter gain: The damage scaling in this game greatly benefits these characters. In Marvel 3 both Nemesis and Ghost Rider had very front loaded damage, they didn't have long combos which is one of the reasons they weren't good. Well in Marvel Infinite having more front loaded damage is good. It does mean they will have less meter gain if their combos are shorter but the good thing is that neither of them are particularly reliant on meter to begin with. This goes into the less meter gain thing as well as both of them function fine with low meter, in fact that's one of the reasons why they were both played on point. Both of them in Marvel Infinite are much more likely to use their meter for combo breakers or their LVL3s rather than for combo enders or utility purposes (unless they really need to like Nemesis' punch hyper).

Tag System: I personally think that these two characters more than most characters benefit a lot from the tag system. If I could point out one single thing that made these characters low tier in Marvel 3 then it's that these characters had really risky, high recovery unsafe moves with little reward to landing them (relatively speaking of course, you could still die to Ghost Rider clipping you from full screen if he TAC'd into Doom from it). Well in this game, risk is very relative and just about any move can be made safe on virtually on command. In these character's case, having these types of moves is a plus because now they make excellent assists!

Something like Ghost Rider's st.HP which hits twice and has a vacuum like effect is kinda whatever when it gets blocked and game losing if you whiff in Marvel 3. In Marvel Infinite, it would set up Nemesis to get in for a command throw mix up and if it whiffs then you can at least tag out to save yourself. Same for Nemesis and his armored moves. In Marvel 3, Nemesis' armor moves carried a big risk to them as they were almost all unsafe on block. Well now you get to punish rushdown with superior armor and make them safe with the tag system.

This idea applies to their long ranged normals as well. Suddenly Ghost Rider's j.S becomes a devastating poke tool that doubles as an assist which can suddenly lead into a full combo. Yeah that's right, a full screen instant overhead can lead into a 60% combo because this is Marvel. Before you had to set up an assist in advance to combo from something like jump back j.S but now you can tag on hit if you need to. Suddenly every time someone gets in on Ghost Rider and they have to take a Heartless Spire canceled into Flames or the new move, that's now a pinning assist that Ghost Rider can use to bring Nemesis in for command throw set ups.

Another issue these two characters had (Nemesis more than Ghost Rider) in Marvel 3 was that they had bad support DHCs. Nemesis had all very unsafe DHC in which is why he had to be played on point and Ghost Rider had unremarkable DHCs. Now both of these characters have devastating pinning hypers and if you do something like Nemesis' punch hyper then you have all day to do instant overheads with Ghost Rider's j.S to open them up.

But the main reason why I picked both of these characters is that they compliment each other well when it comes to converting from long distances. Normally these characters couldn't solo convert from their long limbs but with the help of their partners they can because if Nemesis hits something with a standing Noodles far away, Ghost Rider can be tagged in to convert from max distance into a full combo. This duo makes it so that you feel unsafe and uneasy at even large distances away. They are threatening far away but now they both have better options up close that lead into mix ups (even basic mix ups like DUD jumping into high/low) to deal with rushdown.

There are many more examples of how these two characters should work well off of each other. And now for the final piece of this puzzle.

Space Stone : I don't particularly think that this duo is married to this one stone, they should be able to play most other gems with the Mind stone being of lowest priority. I picked Space Stone in particular for a few reasons:

The main weakness this team is going to have is from high mobility/aerial characters who are going to be swooping around above you. Being able to manipulate their position while they are above and control where they land is a big deal for both of these characters. Nemesis can pull them in within command range and Ghost Rider can set them away. Remember that you can also double dip on this by tagging so you can double pull or push someone. And Space surge has a ton of armor which is good for both of these characters. The main application for Ghost Rider is manipulating an aerial character's position as they are coming down so that they can get tripped up by his sweep or get mixed up by j.S into Nemesis tag. Nemesis might want to pull them in range for his anti air grab.

The Space Storm is mostly beneficial for Nemesis as he would be able to safely go for command grab mix ups when they are in cube. You could even have a cheesy option select of Nemesis going for anti air grab and then you tag into Ghost Rider Penance Stare if the anti air grab misses. Of course the defensive aspect of the cube is great for Ghost Rider too as he can safely poke people who are in the cube. Again the Space Storm would've been better with two grapplers but Nemesis alone makes the cube worth using.

The other stones didn't seem particularly great for this duo. Maybe with Time stone you can do some crazy combos, rocket barrage stuff and the air dash is definitely needed for both of the characters. Reality stone is just a general great stone to use for both of those characters but they don't particularly above Reality stone versus most of the rest of the cast. Mind stone is the worst because these characters don't really have supers that you want to be spamming. Power stone has a very good surge for this duo but the advance guard negation isn't particularly great for both of them as they aren't pixie/rushdown type characters. Soul stone is just too niche at this stage to comment on but the surge is very useful for both of the characters as the Soul surge has good range and both Nemesis/Ghost Rider could force a game of attrition with their high HP pool.

Weaknesses of the team: I think the main weakness of the team is going to be dealing with high mobility characters or characters who just spam a lot of stuff from the air like Zero. Granted they are in a better position to deal with that sort of stuff (less space in general both horizontal and vertical which means that their limbs are more likely to stuff other characters) but it's still going to be annoying for them. I think beam characters are also going to be an issue as aside from maybe Heartless Spire, this team doesn't have a way to contest beam-like projectiles. They would have to play with noodles/whips to interrupt beam specials.

The other main weakness of the team is that if one character dies then the team is done. These characters are extremely reliant on the tag system and if one dies that really cripples the other because then you are just playing a slightly better Marvel 3 low tier character. You are stuck playing characters with high recovery moves and low mobility trying to mount a comeback with a stone that isn't really the best for comebacks.

These weaknesses makes me think that one of the character gets replaced with a more all rounder type character like Ultron who can deal with stuff that both of these characters may not be able to as well. It's probably not a great idea to have a team that specializes heavily on a few aspects and shares weaknesses... best to have variety in strengths/weaknesses so the duo can shore up each other's weaknesses. But as long as you have the tag system I think this duo can do that just not solo.

So there you have it, my case for this team. Even if this does end up being a bad team, I know that this team is going to do some damage online because it has the perfect storm of stuff that historically does really well in an early online environment (easy to execute characters, high HP, front loaded damage, armor, long pesky normals that you can spam).

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I don't care at all about single player, but it's little things like these that are going to add up and result in the game getting poor reviews/negative word of mouth, which will probably result in soft sales... which means no more Marvel vs Capcom for a long time.

And THAT I do care about.

A huge problem with this situation is if the game did terribly then Capcom or/and Marvel could pull a EA move on the game and wouldn't greenlight any future projects for MVCI.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Can't be a shill for a game everyone likes!

I'm not gonna lie to you Max, I loved those 2 lines in your stream. :3

Also...that Dahbomb post looks amazing on my shiny new, tall ass S8+

Like no joke, it kinda made me go "oh that's why the screen is so tall" for the first time, so kudos :p

Anth0ny

damn it dahbomb we're still at like day -23 and mans is already writing essays

my goal is to find the equivalent of wolverine/doom/vergil on day one and exploit the hell out of it.

Not sure who said that, but I remember it being said.

Dahbomb, I am still not convinced that Nemesis will be good, but Ghost Rider looks pretty ace.

DR2K

Banned
Why the hell does arcade mode need endings when you have a 2 hour story mode right over there?

MvCi: Lol, no picture book endings? Clearly no effort was put in this game! (*ignores massive story mode that they begged for*)

Y'all can't be serious.

Guilty Gear, BB, MK, SFV, and Injustice 2 all have individual endings on top of big story modes. This game was completely nerfed content wise in order to add a story, just funny they couldn't even accomplish that.

Honestly, not having individual endings when they are also giving us a campaign mode is okay. It has an arcade mode & it even has a undisclosed boss at the end of it. I know people are still gonna complain because its MvCI, but I really don't take this as a negative.

I have a feeling the boss will be Ultron-Sigma Omega.

But man, people gotta stop looking at this as a "cool to hate on MVCI" thing. Not everyone is complaining simply because they hate MVCI. Some people just feel like a lot of shit is ass for a game of this magnitude. I like beating the game and unlocking endings. Without that, I'll probably touch Arcade Mode once and leave it alone altogether.

Guilty Gear, BB, MK, SFV, and Injustice 2 all have individual endings on top of big story modes. This game was completely nerfed content wise in order to add a story, just funny they couldn't even accomplish that.

The whattabout Tekken in this thread is pretty bad. From what I'm gathering, outside of fighting game enthusiast circles, the game is being compared the most to Injustice 2, one of the highest selling video games of the year, and another superhero related game of the same genre. Reaching for Tekken, a game that isn't even the genre leader, as a justification for MvCI's shortcomings?

How does that make sense?

What are you guys going to do next? Whattabout KOF14 in response to this game being ugly?

What are the odds this boss at the end of arcade mode is just one of the fights from story mode?

It'll be a 3 phase battle, phase 1 against sigma and ultron, then a fight against ultron sigma, then the final boss from story mode whoever it ends up being. Maybe they skip phase 1

PSqueak

Banned

1.- Endings are cool little rewards for clearing the game and most of them are cool or funny i sure as fuck loved the ones in both iterations of MVC3

2.- Story mode is no excuse to not give endings, both Mortal Kombat and Injustice have BOTH Story mode AND arcade mode endings in both modern entries of both franchises, why shouldn't people expect something that should be a genre standard?

That said, i hope there are endings that just weren't on the preview build like the brazilian site theorizes.

hope is the first step on the road to disappointment

Always assume the worst to avoid disappointment.

#MondayInspirationalQuotes

FoolishImmaculateAngwantibo.gif

You guys take things so literally. Watch more movies .

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
The whattabout Tekken in this thread is pretty bad. From what I'm gathering, outside of fighting game enthusiast circles, the game is being compared the most to Injustice 2, one of the highest selling video games of the year, and another superhero related game of the same genre. Reaching for Tekken, a game that isn't even the genre leader, as a justification for MvCI's shortcomings?

How does that make sense?

What are you guys going to do next? Whattabout KOF14 in response to this game being ugly?

You're right, we should just take the constant barrage of LOLCAPCOM posts that just shit on everything and never once even mention one thing positive about the game and not say anything.

And what do you even mean Tekken isnt a "genre leader", what does that mean? It sold a fuckton, more than SF5 in fact.

So we can compare MvCi to other games when it's to shit on it (it's fucking hilarious you're coming in baffled that people are mentioning Tekken arcade mode, when people shitting on Mvc use Tekken all the time to say how much better it is), but we can't compare it when it's to defend it?

The problem is, it's so easy to shit on the game that people just jump to the easiest conclusion. This arcade mode stuff for example, Dark post reads "only had 8 battles and no endings it says so in the article", except that's not exactly what it says in the article is it. I'm not even saying Dark meant anything by it, but sure enough out came the LOLCAPCOM posts immediately.

Same thing yesterday, "omg only 8 stages and no training what a joke LOL capcom" then like an hour later "oh wait it's actually 10 stages and there is a (shit) training stages.

And let's not forget, this is a fighting game about which the phrase "gameplay isn't important" was uttered multiple times.

On Neogaf of all places.

Edit: Also LOL at whoever said if you don't support MvC you don't support the FGC. Marvel is no more or less important than any other fighting game.

Now, by not supporting Nitroplus Blasters you are in fact killing the FGC, because that shit is the first and nobody cares about it :(

Even if tekken 7 somehow has less content then mvci does, trying to argue mvci's content is acceptable based upon what we know compared to tekken 7 is also silly. If both games are lacking in content compared to injustice 2 or dbfz or kof14 they both should be called out for it.

I'm actually really hoping the article isn't playing the final build of the game.

The reason why I kinda believe they are is because Game Informer recently reviewed a build that had story stuff despite Arcade being locked in that same build.

Mokubba

Y'all can't be serious.

This

If the story mode is great then the lack of character endings won't be an issue for me.
The ones in UMVC3 didn't really add anything to be honest.

Last story trailer got me really pumped so for me this isn't an issue but I can see why it will be for some.

Rhaknar

Even if tekken 7 somehow has less content then mvci does, trying to argue mvci's content is acceptable based upon what we know compared to tekken 7 is also silly. If both games are lacking in content compared to injustice 2 or dbfz or kof14 they both should be called out for it.

Yes, both should, that's the point. Although we are getting into a very strange territory with fighting games where all of a sudden, filling it with shit is the most important thing apparently, almost to the detriment of the actual game itself and the core fundamentals... the fighting. Single player content isn't what keeps fighting games alive. But apparently it is what makes them sell. So what is more important? I'm actually asking.

This isn't even about Marvel now, it's a discussion about where the genre is right now. MK and Injustice sell a lot of units. Yet 1 or 2 years later they are almost dead in the tournament scene. The Injustice finals at evo were mocked in the evo thread because of how bad it was. Meanwhile the whipping boy of the FGC (SF5) had the hypest finals. Marvel 3 lasted 7 years, Marvel 2 I dont even know.

Are people just conditioned to prefer Capcom fighters in tournaments? Is it a bias thing? Sure maybe. Do they "look better, not graphically but as a spectator game? I don't know, for example I think anime games, especially the Arc System games which are just the hypest shit to watch have been getting the shaft for years when it comes to tournament placements, but it's getting better the last few years at least.

Should MvCI have more and better content. Good lord absolutely. The people that "defend" it have numbered the many problems tons of times. Thats the difference see, we can look at the good and the bad. But if you come in a thread with nothing but shitpost style "lol this game is a joke, it looks like garbage, DBZF rules" or whatever, it gets old.

But I'm done, I'm going to peace out from this because much like the regurgitated shitposts I complain about, I too feel like I'm just repeating myself now.

tribal24

Banned

Y'all can't be serious.

Exactly People would still complain

The "whattaboutism" is important, though, because contextually speaking, Tekken 7 didn't get enough flak for the stupid shit it pulled across the board. You wanna talk about checking off boxes? How about that small ass arcade mode with no ends. Oh yeah, you get character endings for most the characters (not all), which are nonsensical, half of them non-canon, and dragged along with no explanation. After one fight. A single fight.

Treasure Battle was lame. Had far less variation than Ghost Battle, and while the special fights were nice, they weren't enough to offset seeing the same damn Ghosts over and over.

Yo, let's talk about that story though. Silly retcons, that dumb ass reporter being shoved into the story with his tame voice, sidelining Jin, and Akuma literally never getting an explanation for why he's there. The only good part of that story mode mode was the ending, which they could have skipped all of the shit before and just fought.

Not even gonna touch how the game is missing online features in other games, like going right into a match from the actual training mode, where the fuck are my replays so I can watch better players/watch my matches and improve, and more.

I have no qualms with people being critical of Capcom for not doing their best. A developer always should, and after the lackluster effort with SFV, I always hope for a little more from them to make up for it. But when I see people giving other games a pass for bullshit, it makes me cringe. Like, gamers are the most inconsistent people. And it works both ways - I'm sure people will give this game a pass on the merits of the gameplay.

That's good and fine, but damn people just need to be even with all developers.

I see people post glitches for SFV on Twitter and you get a bunch of eyerolling and LOL CRAPCOM. When a glitch for Tekken gets posted it's "haha email harada :)" or something positive. This double standard shit is basically annoying.

Seiniyta

Yes, both should, that's the point. Although we are getting into a very strange territory with fighting games where all of a sudden, filling it with shit is the most important thing apparently, almost to the detriment of the actual game itself and the core fundamentals... the fighting. Single player content isn't what keeps fighting games alive. But apparently it is what makes them sell. So what is more important? I'm actually asking.

This isn't even about Marvel now, it's a discussion about where the genre is right now. MK and Injustice sell a lot of units. Yet 1 or 2 years later they are almost dead in the tournament scene. The Injustice finals at evo were mocked in the evo thread because of how bad it was. Meanwhile the whipping boy of the FGC (SF5) had the hypest finals. Marvel 3 lasted 7 years, Marvel 2 I dont even know.

Are people just conditioned to prefer Capcom fighters in tournaments? Is it a bias thing? Sure maybe. Do they "look better, not graphically but as a spectator game? I don't know, for example I think anime games, especially the Arc System games which are just the hypest shit to watch have been getting the shaft for years when it comes to tournament placements, but it's getting better the last few years at least.

Should MvCI have more and better content. Good lord absolutely. The people that "defend" it have numbered the many problems tons of times. Thats the difference see, we can look at the good and the bad. But if you come in a thread with nothing but shitpost style "lol this game is a joke, it looks like garbage, DBZF rules" or whatever, it gets old.

But I'm done, I'm going to peace out from this because much like the regurgitated shitposts I complain about, I too feel like I'm just repeating myself now.

For all the issues, for all the crap Capcom does. Their fighters have 'something' that other fighters don't have in the same capacity. Something in their gameplay that's very appealing and keeps competitors playing even if they bitch and moan (sometimes rightfully so mind you!) about balance or game mechanics.

I don't doubt that Marvel Infinite will be played for a long time in the FGC. However, I feel like if Capcom wants to survive (and I very much want them to naturally) they need to seriously step their game up.

Their fighters have 'something' that other fighters don't have in the same capacity.

Brand

Of course that's true. Doesn't mean it's necessarily fair or balanced.

Who's fair and balanced? You? You get to determine all of it?

That original post of yours came from an assertion that the negativity surrounding SFV had no meaning. All because it came from a supposed minority. But I'm pretty sure that group of people outnumber you.

Look, this is how actual people work. There's no checklist. You reach a satisfactory level with the game and the rest becomes gravy. With the recent capcom fighting games, I guess you need a checklist. You need to reach for the few redeeming qualities they may very well have so you don't feel like you waste your money.

I mean this is the same as when people bring up Overwatch in these conversations. It's not a double standard. It means more people value FPS multiplayer and barely anyone plays fighting games.

NotLiquid

MvC3 had some real stinker character endings and only a few decent ones. They were incredibly low effort. I'm not gonna miss them.

That said its nice to at least get some sense of completion. Guilty Gear Xrd used its arcade mode as a prequel for its story mode. They could've done something like that - see what characters were doing before the worlds collided and what they do right before Ultron Sigma becomes a threat. Might be a good way to show most characters not being "teamed up" yet since if the story demo is anything to go by, the game already starts in medias res. Like, have Iron Man show up like Nick Fury after the end of X's arcade mode and be like "hey buddy need your help" or something like that.

patchday

Yeah GG Xrd / Blazblue does it right

Tekken 7 I never even thought bout Arcade mode even once. T7 has treasure battles which drown players in loot. Much rather get rewards then some forgettable arcade ending (just me). Not to mention maybe Tekken 7 online is very approachable at least on the surface? Due to lack of zoning. Unlike most fighters T7 doesnt go out of its way to let you know you suck. It shows your wins in Casual modes (not losses). T7 gets a lot of little details right. In other fighters, they love to show your win rate which I think depresses casuals when they see they won 1/10 matches

All that said, GG Xrd/BB raised the bar for me when it comes to arcade endings since they are actually integrated into story mode. NRS games the arcade endings have always felt like Canon. But still it's appreciated when it's there.

tl;dr - Towers are great when added but they add no impact at all if not integrated into main story. If they are just canon endings, then you can trick me into never missing them if provided with other fun offline/online content

Most of the character endings in UMvC3, especially the newcomers for UMvC3, were more or less just excuses to throw in as many cameos as possible. Nova makes the Mega Nova corps. Dr. Strange gets a magic council with crossover characters. Iron Fist forms Heroes for Hire with crossover characters. Hawkeye forms the West Coast Avengers with crossover characters. Firebrand has a bunch of crossover characters as underlings. Etc etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom