• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Vs. Capcom: Infinite Characters and Stages Roster |DT2| oh dear...

Status
Not open for further replies.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I seriously doubt any move was deleted because of the button layout. That would make zero sense.

I took a look at Nova's moveset so he would have few available inputs for new moves if needed. So it's more likely they didn't cut it out because of button layouts.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
so you have MORE buttons but they would get less moves?

what?

Ryce

so you have MORE buttons but they would get less moves?

what?
L M H S
LP HP LK HK

It's the same amount of buttons.

The difference is that moves only have two variations now when they used to have three, so every returning character has lost stuff, whether it's the angle a projectile is thrown, the distance an attack travels, or even completely unique animations (like Hawkeye's backflip).

Seyavesh

oh it just hit me that jlks probably have the same frame data startup wise as j.Ms which is why you cant do real trijumps with em

i guess the next step is figuring out if jlp hits high or not

Coda

Way too early to declare that.

Well I'm sure people will optimize stuff but Max said in one of his streams or videos that Capcom has stated that the game is more like a 3-4 combo game in order to kill a character. Given that you don't have to worry about 2 characters incoming now and only one if your character dies, there's definitely more options to get out of scummy situations.

Trace

Banned
Well I'm sure people will optimize stuff but Max said in one of his streams or videos that Capcom has stated that the game is more like a 3-4 combo game in order to kill a character. Given that you don't have to worry about 2 characters incoming now and only one if your character dies, there's definitely more options to get out of scummy situations.

He said that UMVC3 was a "one touch game" in that you could kill off one hit to a character and then either unblockable the incoming or have true 50/50 guess mixups into another kill. He said MvC:I was a four touch game, so two hits to kill a character and then two hits to kill the next.

Not four touches to kill one character.

Dahbomb

oh it just hit me that jlks probably have the same frame data startup wise as j.Ms which is why you cant do real trijumps with em

i guess the next step is figuring out if jlp hits high or not
LKs in general seem to have frame data of Mediums from Marvel 3. Even Keits points this out. Of course this varies from character to character.

And yea no way are characters going to take 4 combos to kill unless it's off of super scaled stuff like Mind stone throws. It's going to be 2 hits maximum to kill a character in this game. Might even be 1 hit in certain cases where you do a bit of neutral, get worn down and get within 70% range then get killed by a combo.

But I think we aren't going to see TODs off of errant throws. That was a big problem in Marvel 3, it's one thing to die off a clean hit but throws which were supposed to be scaled also lead to character deaths especially against Zeroes (sometimes you would survive against like a Magneto).

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
L M H S
LP HP LK HK

It's the same amount of buttons.

The difference is that moves only have two variations now when they used to have three, so every returning character has lost stuff, whether it's the angle a projectile is thrown, the distance an attack travels, or even completely unique animations (like Hawkeye's backflip).

I don't disagree but few characters got four variants with certain moves in MVCI.

Coda

He said that UMVC3 was a "one touch game" in that you could kill off one hit to a character and then either unblockable the incoming or have true 50/50 guess mixups into another kill. He said MvC:I was a four touch game, so two hits to kill a character and then two hits to kill the next.

Not four touches to kill one character.

Ahh my bad.

Spending 2 bars to tag in your other character while you are being actively comboed is such a huge defensive option. I feel like MvCI is going to be much more of an attrition game than be a game of huge swings like 3 was.

Durden77

Spending 2 bars to tag in your other character while you are being actively comboed is such a huge defensive option. I feel like MvCI is going to be much more of an attrition game than be a game of huge swings like 3 was.

This is one of the only gameplay chamges that is truly bugging me. Like I mentioned before, it just seems very un-Marvel. Not only in the abilty to escape combos, but the types of setups it will lead to. Seems like a type of mind game/set up that just doesn't really fit the series.

But I can still see it working. I'm sure in some high level play that is someone uses the two bars, and the aggressor was counting on that and picks off the counter character, that will be hype. I'm just very curious on how it will develop.

I'm also very interested in how throws will fit into this game. Like DahBomb said, I do think that was in issue in UMvC3 that throws could lead to death, but at the same time if they don't lead to anything, then it's just not worth it to go for them. Throws are extremely hard to balance in the MvC series, and I'm really curious to see how they make them work here.

Seyavesh

LKs in general seem to have frame data of Mediums from Marvel 3. Even Keits points this out. Of course this varies from character to character.

yeah i just finally put 2 and 2 together between "nova doesnt have a real trijump" and what keits said to arrive at that conclusion

if jlps still hit high thats a real weird decision since jlks still have the dinky lk/j.L hitbox rather than a medium's

also airthow combos seem char dependent and scale combos to shit so thats a huge boon to all airdash offense chars

also chun li running away forever, holy hell shes even harder to catch now

Coda

This is one of the only gameplay chamges that is truly bugging me. Like I mentioned before, it just seems very un-Marvel. Not only in the abilty to escape combos, but the types of setups it will lead to. Seems like a type of mind game/set up that just doesn't really fit the series.

But I can still see it working. I'm sure in some high level play that is someone uses the two bars, and the aggressor was counting on that and picks off the counter character, that will be hype. I'm just very curious on how it will develop.

I'm also very interested in how throws will fit into this game. Like DahBomb said, I do think that was in issue in UMvC3 that throws could lead to death, but at the same time if they don't lead to anything, then it's just not worth it to go for them. Throws are extremely hard to balance in the MvC series, and I'm really curious to see how they make them work here.

I think the Counter Switch is fine because it uses 2 bars and technically doesn't even break the combo, you still have to disrupt it yourself with your other character.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
people really need to start thinking about this game as its own thing and not "what is different from 3"... but then again we are witnessing the exact same cycle as we did with 3 so /shrug

Oh yes, I remember those early days of Marvel 3, it was not the internet darling it is today to put it lightly.

Coda

people really need to start thinking about this game as its own thing and not "what is different from 3"... but then again we are witnessing the exact same cycle as we did with 3 so /shrug

Oh yes, I remember those early days of Marvel 3, it was not the internet darling it is today to put it lightly.

Isn't it funny how things come full circle? Let's all just be happy that we're actually getting a new MvC game and that it actually looks pretty inventive/fun. I'm thankful because as much as I loved MvC3 I need to move on and SF V didn't do it for me, I'm a Mahhvel head and I can't wait to play this game daily once it comes out.

Ryce

It's hard to avoid comparing MvCI with MvC3 when you look at the massively downgraded roster, art direction, user interface, music, and voice work. The system changes are more subjective, but there's a lot here legitimately worth criticizing. A game can still be fun while utterly failing in its presentation.

Zero-ELEC

Banned

It's hard not to compare it with 3 when it pulls so much from it at a surface level.

Dahbomb

It's hard to do that considering how much it borrows from Marvel 3. This is isn't a Marvel 2 to Marvel 3 type situation here.

Coda

It's hard to do that considering how much it borrows from Marvel 3. This is isn't a Marvel 2 to Marvel 3 type situation here.

I actually think the jump from 3 to Infinite is quite big given the new systems and mechanics. Sure the jump from MvC2 to MvC3 was big because of the game going 3D, but overall looking back it was fairly similar and kind of a love letter to MvC2. Going back to 2v2 isn't a step back with all the new additions IMO. I like that Capcom went with a bold choice in terms of the game's game design as it will feel very fresh to play, having that "new" like quality. And I think that's where a lot of the reasoning went for bringing back a lot of characters from the previous game, they actually all feel quite different and are now viable whereas before they weren't. It may not be the best scenario but I kind of see where a lot of the decisions went within Capcom. I'm just hoping the day one patch makes the game look significantly better at launch.

JeTmAn81

MVC3 got a good amount of criticism on release, famously from Justin Wong

FD8uzSS.png

smurfx

get some go again
one thing that has been bugging me about this game is the air combos. why does it seem like a lot of the combos consists of a character doing the same move over and over again? morrigan is one that comes to mind. shit looks awful and boring.

Negaduck

I'm looking forward more and more to mvci's release. I could never click with Mvc3 mainly due to the change get in how OTG's worked and the ABC button scheme (just not a fan in that scheme for marvel personally).

Going back to 2p2k and OTG's being reworked is a huge change and plus for me. I also like that a new game allows some lower characters from umvc3 have a second chance in mvci (ghost rider and nemesis come to mind).

Above all I just can't wait to use jedah

DD-11

It's hard to avoid comparing MvCI with MvC3 when you look at the massively downgraded roster, art direction, user interface, music, and voice work. The system changes are more subjective, but there's a lot here legitimately worth criticizing. A game can still be fun while utterly failing in its presentation.

Stating this as fact, doesn't make it less subjective. I'm not going to miss those left out here and I love most of the new characters. I can see if youre a Vergil player that you might be upset, but there's a perfectly good product out there of you want to play him. I played about 6-9 characters in the last game, and while Modok being left out sucks, I'm interested in playing the new characters, especially thanos.

The art direction/graphics complaints are so overblown: I think the game looks great.

I can't be the only one who turns off the music after a couple months, can I? Voice work? It just seems like people are looking for things to be enraged about--which is odd since Trump is president.

JeTmAn81

one thing that has been bugging me about this game is the air combos. why does it seem like a lot of the combos consists of a character doing the same move over and over again? morrigan is one that comes to mind. shit looks awful and boring.

I think that's common to air dash characters, who I believe are now universally able to cancel airdash into heavy punch and then back again. Like Magneto's flight combo stuff in 3.

Honestly it's been super fun to watch the exact same tropes play out. It's like a remastered version. Albeit there were some legit gripes and self inflicted wounds but Hahaha Mvc3 did not come in as everyone's favorite.

For instance, gimme this goddamn mic.

Seyavesh

my favorite weird reuse from mvc3 is that all of the capcom reps have the same base theme from mvc3 rather than remixing other songs

like franks theme is still the adam boss fight song remixed. zero's is still x2, morrigan is still VH, spencer is still the stage 1 theme and whatnot

i get the legacy deal, esp w chars who basically have one identifiable theme like ryu, arthur, dante or fb but also man i fuckin hate zero's x2 theme. when's sky lagoon

Rhaknar

Ghost Rider's bike super, in the Max stream, one time Firebrand blocks it so he turns around and rides back to the left side...and then turns again and rides back to firebrand... could you do that in 3?

Skab

Ghost Rider's bike super, in the Max stream, one time Firebrand blocks it so he turns around and rides back to the left side...and then turns again and rides back to firebrand... could you do that in 3?

I believe so, though I don't remember how many times you could turn it around

Seyavesh

yeah he has 4 followups but you basically only do 1 of them

l launches the bike real fast as he gets off early
m makes him do a sick jump with the bike then jump off
h turns the bike around and does a wallbounce which is pretty much suicidal since most of his combos use it
s makes him do a wheely and is the only one worth doing ever because it does the most damage and soft kds

fun fact, the super actually has superarmor! just not on startup

Rhaknar

just realised that come September 19th, if we they havent announced any more dlc characters, we will probably find out who the other 4 are, because im sure people can find that shit easily in the PC files

That new Dorm move where he pulls you in looks cool as fuck. Shame I couldn't get a decent Dorm going in UMvC3 (rip flame carpet nerfs), because I'd always have difficulty trying to set up my lame.
He is going to be way harder to set up in this game.

No the move where there are thorns and he pulls you in like a conveyer belt.
I think that is his new OD3C.

That's new.

mas8705

just realised that come September 19th, if we they havent announced any more dlc characters, we will probably find out who the other 4 are, because im sure people can find that shit easily in the PC files

I'm in hopes that the only thing that will be found when people data mine the game are just names to hint at who the other DLC characters are and not actually find the characters in playable form. Chances are that if Sigma and Black Panther aren't available at the start, people will probably find those two in the playable form (if I recall that correctly since they will be fightable in the story mode). As for the rest, I just don't want to have another case of people going crazy over "on disk DLC"

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I'm in hopes that the only thing that will be found when people data mine the game are just names to hint at who the other DLC characters are and not actually find the characters in playable form. Chances are that if Sigma and Black Panther aren't available at the start, people will probably find those two in the playable form (if I recall that correctly since they will be fightable in the story mode). As for the rest, I just don't want to have another case of people going crazy over "on disk DLC"

I thought it was a rumor that they are fightable in story mode? If they formally announced that then can you tell me where you hear that since it would be nice to have an official confirmation.

Rhaknar

I mean, we know for a fact that Panther and a female Monster Hunter are in the story mode, there is a giant Symbiote and that black ooze shit in the Dark Kingdom stage seems to be a symbiote, so Venom will probably been seen in some capacity, and Ultron-Sigma is the final boss, and Dr.Light is in the story, so normal ass Sigma is also probably, if only in a cutscene?

mas8705

I thought it was a rumor that they are fightable in story mode? If they formally announced that then can you tell me where you hear that since it would be nice to have an official confirmation.

Well in fairness, it is still a rumor. From where I looked around, others have also stated that "These guys will be fightable in story mode!" but don't really do much to back that up. But I had my sneaking suspicions myself since the 2nd story trailer. Mind you in retrospect, I do wonder if I thought of this correctly, but part of me feels like this is going to happen. If we have seen a case where Zero gets "reprogrammed," and Spiderman gets taken over by the symbiote, there could be a very good possibility where when you are in the desert when you meet him, he might try and first attack you (whether because he sees you as a threat or otherwise is "possessed" and the fight against him knocks him back to his senses).

Either way, just random things I've heard when checking around, but of course, nothing conclusive.

I meant to see him in game :p

Honestly, I'm expecting there to be "Flashback fights" where you probably will see something like "Avengers vs Ultron" and "X and Zero vs Sigma" to try and explain how the two somehow met up and decided to fuse with each other. hard to say if that would happen, but we need some explanation of how it happened and not that the MvC3 approach and say "Wesker and Doom hooked up and now Galactus wants to destroy us all!" ((Obviously a lot more went into the "Story" than that, but it did feel like something thrown together really quick to explained why Marvel and Capcom are in the same location).

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Well in fairness, it is still a rumor. From where I looked around, others have also stated that "These guys will be fightable in story mode!" but don't really do much to back that up. But I had my sneaking suspicions myself since the 2nd story trailer. Mind you in retrospect, I do wonder if I thought of this correctly, but part of me feels like this is going to happen. If we have seen a case where Zero gets "reprogrammed," and Spiderman gets taken over by the symbiote, there could be a very good possibility where when you are in the desert when you meet him, he might try and first attack you (whether because he sees you as a threat or otherwise is "possessed" and the fight against him knocks him back to his senses).

Either way, just random things I've heard when checking around, but of course, nothing conclusive.

Thanks for clarification. Honestly I really hope that we would find out rest of character pass soon as possible. At least, less than four weeks!

Rhaknar

did we even set a time for that avatar bet? was it 1 month or 2 weeks? I guess 1 month is the standard.

I won the bet and I feel like I lost >_>

Honestly, I'm expecting there to be "Flashback fights" where you probably will see something like "Avengers vs Ultron" and "X and Zero vs Sigma" to try and explain how the two somehow met up and decided to fuse with each other. hard to say if that would happen, but we need some explanation of how it happened and not that the MvC3 approach and say "Wesker and Doom hooked up and now Galactus wants to destroy us all!" ((Obviously a lot more went into the "Story" than that, but it did feel like something thrown together really quick to explained why Marvel and Capcom are in the same location).
I'm thinking this will possibly be more for their mission mode or whatever it was they will have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom