• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Vs. Capcom: Infinite Characters and Stages Roster |DT2| oh dear...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
..this is also very true and a concern for discussion. Last thing you want in an OT is loud DR2K types shitposting ad nauseum and drowning actual discussion about the game.

why is it fine here again?

NotLiquid

Playing the Story Demo again and I'm realizing how hard it is for me to figure out a good controller layout. I just have such a hard time not defaulting to how Marvel 3 played, having LMH on top row and S on the bottom row. I don't know if I should just keep with the default or change it around.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Max mentioned during his stream that he pointed out the stares animation to the capcom guys and even they were like "yeah it's weird?" So it's most likely just not finished in that build.

Really? I guess that's interesting to know. I honestly think it got glitched out because I saw something twirling in background so I guess it was fire. Problem is blue screen (infinity storm) from space gem overlapped the background at same time.

Coda

Playing the Story Demo again and I'm realizing how hard it is for me to figure out a good controller layout. I just have such a hard time not defaulting to how Marvel 3 played, having LMH on top row and S on the bottom row. I don't know if I should just keep with the default or change it around.

I was gonna try and finagle the controls to kind of mimic the MVC3 layout, but I'm at the point now where I will keep it somewhat default. Just switch the Tag and Infinity Skill buttons.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Really? I guess that's interesting to know. I honestly think it got glitched out because I saw something twirling in background so I guess it was fire. Problem is blue screen (infinity storm) from space gem overlapped the background at same time.

could be a glitch, I saw a bugged Ultron's level 3 without the drones and it looked... well bad lol

Rhaknar

"there's no crossplay because Sony is a piece of shit"

giphy.gif

Coda

Crossplay for SF V was ass, every time I played someone who was on PC, weird shit would happen. So honestly I'm kind of glad there isn't any.

Lulubop

Crossplay for SF V was ass, every time I played someone who was on PC, weird shit would happen. So honestly I'm kind of glad there isn't any.

No thanks, Crossplay is great especially for people who play on PC since the fighting game community is much smaller on PC. I mean you can even turn off playing against PC players on PS4 if you'd like anyway.

Complete ass though? I can't say I've had much problems.

Rhaknar

damn, Max has a nice comeback in that stream when he's finally playing, he almost gets perfected by Dormammu / Jedah but then manages to come back and win :eek:

Zero-ELEC

Banned
Max mentioned during his stream that he pointed out the stares animation to the capcom guys and even they were like "yeah it's weird?" So it's most likely just not finished in that build.
Whatever build Max played it's a more advanced build than, say, the Gamescom one. I think it might be a release build.
Beats me.

It's certainly destructive for discussion about this game, throwing discussion back into the same topics over and over again when there is new information about the game to be discussed.

I love cyclical topics, tho... You always know what you're gonna get!

God I hate it when threads devolve into the same 3 or four topics over and over again...

Anyways, if that happens it will happen whether the OT title "invites" it or not. I say go for f(x)-men.

I don't know why, I keep forgetting that Nova is in this. And I really enjoy the character. I might try pairing him up with Capcom Marvel for a thematic team.

They took away his red health mechanics, tho

"there's no crossplay because Sony is a piece of shit"

giphy.gif
It's the truth. Whoever is the big dog of the generation becomes an ass while the loser becomes pro-consumer.

Crossplay was fine for me on both ends (I started on PS4 and swapped to PC later on). Plus you can just turn it off (since they refuse to have an actual "unified" leaderboard), so if you don't like it, it doesn't mean others shouldn't enjoy it.

Coda

No thanks, Crossplay is great especially for people who play on PC since the fighting game community is much smaller on PC. I mean you can even turn off playing against PC players on PS4 if you'd like anyway.

Complete ass though? I can't say I've had much problems.

Yeah it was on and off for me, some were okay. I guess this was early on when I played that game. Either way we all know that it doesn't have crossplay because the game is on Xbox One as well and something about that Sony doesn't jive with.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Isn't that a good thing?
It wasn't perfect, but it made him stand out and made you play him differently from every other character, and can be a strategic advantage. I liked having that option to burn red meter to get that little bit of extra damage, and being able to do Power of the Nova Force if not.

Just another unique mechanic that's been lost going from UMvC3 to MvC:I, although most were in characters that straight up didn't make it into MvC:I.

Rhaknar

speaking of unique mechanics, that Chris ammo shit is new right?

Dahbomb

Red life mechanic and the Shield were what made Nova somewhat interesting. Now he's literally just a generic flight dash character.

speaking of unique mechanics, that Chris ammo shit is new right?
Yeah but it's a useless mechanic, it doesn't actually make the character better which is what Chris actually needed.

Dahbomb

Yeah. It's likely to prevent air gun spam. Lot less verticality in this game.
No air gun spam isn't an issue in the game, you only have 3 actions in the air anyway. And plus using it in the air it has a very narrow range, you can easily miss with it.

The real reason why they nerfed it is to prevent Magnum spam with Time Storm. You can actually combo into Magnums in Time storm. With the bullet restriction you can only do it three times in a row before he has to reload.

That's literally the only reason it was nerfed. That move existed in Marvel 3 and wasn't really over powered. The version in Magnum isn't significantly better to warrant this nerf, it's just there due to the Time storm.

There are probably a lot of other changes to characters that are due to the systems in place.

Neoxon

Well, I liked the idea. Maybe if they adjusted it so that it only took a certain amount (not all) and for like EX commands, so you wouldn't accidentally do it or something.

I think the mechanic had promise, at least.
That was exactly my problem with the red health mechanic.

Eh, Nova red life mechanic was kinda bad. The trade off was rarely ever actually worth it, just something you had to account for. And it doesn't even really make sense... Nova's power set in the comics didn't ever hurt him to use.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Eh, Nova red life mechanic was kinda bad. The trade off was rarely ever actually worth it, just something you had to account for. And it doesn't even really make sense... Nova's power set in the comics didn't ever hurt him to use.
Kind of made sense as Nova's powers were so overwhelmingly great and uncontrollable that they took a toll on his mental health.

I guess it was rarely worth it once the meta evolved and combos get optimized, but still, I liked it and the risk involved with it. Although, like mentioned above, often it was just the risk of a wrong input.

Ryce

And it doesn't even really make sense... Nova's power set in the comics didn't ever hurt him to use.
Nova converts energy directed against him into gravimetric blasts, so that was probably the thinking behind the mechanic -- turning the energy taken (damage) into stronger projectiles.

Durden77

I feel like this is easily the dirtiest Marvel game yet

It really seems fucking filthy. The game seems more about set ups than ever before now, which is kind of nuts considering the assists have beeb removed.

I'll say it before and I'l say it again though. The graphics, general look, all that stuff doesn't bother me (especially as much now that it's looking better these days) as the voice acting. Really my biggest disappointment on the game so far. It just seems worse than UMvC3 in every way.

Coda

It really seems fucking filthy. The game seems more about set ups than ever before now, which is kind of nuts considering the assists have beeb removed.

I'll say it before and I'l say it again though. The graphics, general look, all that stuff doesn't bother me (especially as much now that it's looking better these days) as the voice acting. Really my biggest disappointment on the game so far. It just seems worse than UMvC3 in every way.

Yeah the voice acting is pretty awful. If they fixed that and the artstyle, and UI the game would actually look and sound nice. Hopefully the day one patch addresses some of these issues.

It's literally just one additional option when you're searching online. It's not complicated at all.

I meant to program and implement without running into issues. Every console's network infrastructure uses it's own code, I'm not an expert but I'm assuming it isn't cheap or easy to implement crossplay.

Lulubop

Yea, just pure filth. Personally Marvel is best when you're making people hold some really nasty resets or mixups.

Coda

Yea, just pure filth. Personally Marvel is best when you're making people hold some really nasty resets or mixups.

The game seems heavily reliant on mixups and setups now which is a welcome change IMO. There's still long combos but they scale very quickly and there isn't one touch death combos where you basically are screwed after.

Isn't the only thing Nova really has in common with Mags is a tridash? I don't believe it's a similar tridash as well but I haven't seen Nova much in this game since Nova is a horrible and boring character.

Dahbomb

Isn't the only thing Nova really has in common with Mags is a tridash? I don't believe it's a similar tridash as well but I haven't seen Nova much in this game since Nova is a horrible and boring character.
They used to be different when Nova didn't have dash cancelable normals and a fast down/forward tri-dash, he used to rely more up/down dash, box dash and slides for mobility. Now he has all of that so he can do standard Magneto tri dashes and dash cancel combos with heavies in the air. The difference between Magneto and Nova now comes down to their specials (Magneto has a beam and grav pulls, Nova as Javelin and dash attacks). Nova is still more aggressive than Magneto in Marvel 3 but this is still "shoto clone" territory if you want to talk about archetypes. If Magneto is Ryu then Nova is Ken when it comes to the 8 way air dash archetype.

That new Dorm move where he pulls you in looks cool as fuck. Shame I couldn't get a decent Dorm going in UMvC3 (rip flame carpet nerfs), because I'd always have difficulty trying to set up my lame.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom