• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bethesda: Doom on the Switch Graphics Not One-to-one, Custom Built (USGamer)

tenor.gif

? It looked very, very muddy. So much so that I doubt it reflects real product.

Any time you compare performance between home-only setups and a phablet, there will be disparities. You can't play your home console or PC on your lunch break (unless you work from home,) nor can you get industry-leading graphical fidelity on a portable console.

Specs are not everything. Context is also very relevant.

The portability is nice but if you drive your own car it's not going to do anything for you. And I'd like to know what kind of jobs people have where they have time to play video games on their lunch break? I've seen some people playing Candy Crush here and there on their phones but I have never seen anyone break out a handheld. What do you do? Go outside or to the break room to play? Anyway if I really wanted to I could stream my PS4 or PC games to my workstation, but I never would. At least in my line of work it would not be a good look, even if I were doing it on my lunch break.

HeroR

You and me, both, man. I won't even entertain the idea of picking up this game if it doesn't have gyro aiming. I really can't get into dual analog in shooters and playing DOOM with gyro/IR has been my dream since it was announced. I hope they have it, because I'll be there day one if that's the game...even if the game runs at 30fps. I have to show support for gyro aiming more than 60fps.

Personally, what I find odd is why the Xbox and PS4 version of DOOM doesn't have motion controls as an option since DS4 has motion controls built-in and it comes with the system. Then again, console gamers treat motion controls as the bane of 'hardcore gaming' and pretend that duel analog is the only true control scheme for everything. I guess it's bias left over from the Wii era, but it's kind of funny that the 'PC Master Race' has no problem embracing motion controls as an option to even a mouse.

I still can't genuinely tell the difference from the comparisons posted. I know there certainly will be, but it looks more than good enough. Frame rate will be an interesting one.

hao chi

"DOOM on Switch is custom-built for the hardware and while graphics won't be 1:1 with other platforms, the game will deliver the amazing DOOM look and feel that fans are excited to get on Switch," a Bethesda spokesperson told USGamer in an official response when we reached out to try and find out some additional details about the Switch version's fps and other graphical details."

This to me implies the game will have the same frame rate as the other systems (60), just lower graphics.

That sounds promising to me. I'll get Doom and Wolfenstein II on Switch as long as they're good ports, and the FPS is my main concern for me. Everything so far indicates they're taking these ports seriously, which is great to see.

Yeah, having a group that breaks down the differences between game versions so that consumers know exactly what they're paying $60 for is so sad. I cry every time a game doesn't reach 8k/1 million fps

No I meant, it Sometimes becomes just ammo for console warriors that otherwise know nothing about that.
Some people said after DF Mario kart 8 WiiU analysis that they couldn't play the game because of the 59fps bug.

Personally, what I find odd is why the Xbox and PS4 version of DOOM doesn't have motion controls as an option since DS4 has motion controls built-in and it comes with the system. Then again, console gamers treat motion controls as the bane of 'hardcore gaming' and pretend that duel analog is the only true control scheme for everything. I guess it's bias left over from the Wii era, but it's kind of funny that the 'PC Master Race' has no problem embracing motion controls as an option to even a mouse.

I played part of DOOM on PC with gyro aiming. Works great.

No I meant, it Sometimes becomes just ammo for console warriors that otherwise know nothing about that.
Some people said after DF Mario kart 8 WiiU analysis that they couldn't play the game because of the 59fps bug.

Some people are dicks.

We all deal with that.

We have these conversations because we enjoy it. We like to learn, and educate what little we know. We can discuss odd inconsistencies, visual deficiencies. Some of us are adults about it. Just enjoying talking about technology we appreciate, with people who have at least a basic understanding of it.

And also some people are just drama queens. The tiniest blemish and it's ruined!

Yeah... they've been there from the outset.

Digital Foundry is a beautiful thing. It is just tech deconstruction. Giving us a better understanding of why a game might feel slower than you'd think, or why there's a choppiness in an otherwise fluid game.

It's just knowledge. And I like knowing things.

Novocaine

Don't take steak away from men because babies can't chew it. Those people who complain about dumb shit like that would just find something else if DF wasn't around.

Yeah I guess I'm just tired of these "DF should be fun" comments. These people are just hoping for bad performances so they can go "lmao" and "DOA" and let their schadenfreude shine. That's kind of pathetic.

Anyway I personally hope for consistant performance here, just a stable framerate will be enough. I don't expect it to be 60 because they would already have boasted about it. If the port is good, i'll definitely buy it.

A good tech performance and good sales could finally make some people change their mindset about third party potential support of the switch.

I wouldn't go that far. Any decent GCN title is going to lean heavily on compute shaders for bandwidth and geometry optimizations. Maxwell may have bandwidth saving optimizations like color compression and tiled rendering but it also has less bandwidth than even last gen. In terms of compute it sits in the middle of last gen and XBO, assuming you use the upper bound of 786 gflops at half precision, which isn't a realistic measure of shader power since some portion of your workload would have to run at full precision. At full precision it's closer to the last gen consoles, although much better at achieving higher ALU utilization.

It's also worth pointing out that the Switch's entire lineup looks like it could easily be down ported to WiiU and by extension, last gen as well. Although I'm still amazed by how well games like Titanfall, Rise of the Tomb Raider, CoD Advanced Warfare, MGSV and Destiny translated over to last gen.
That mainly was hyperbole to stress the architectural differences between Switch and PS3... and a bit of cheating because of the relative ease it seems devs are having utilizing UE4 and I guess now idTech 6 on Switch.

Again... Nintendo was insanely lucky Nvidia wanted to offload a bunch of their TX1's on the cheap. Prospering off the fact that Nvidia wanted to enter the mobile market with hardware that approximates, within a reasonable facsimile, much more powerful hardware.

But you are talking... well apart from Arms and Odyssey, about a bunch of games that literally began life on the WiiU.

Doom will probably give us a good idea of what technical minded studios can achieve when porting big technically impressive PS4 games to Switch.

Now if the efforts worth it? That one we won't know for a while now.

Also that full precision half precision argument some people have stumbled on that makes Switch within spitting distance of the XboxOne is based on some fallacies. While you can get some boost by using half precision for some effects, not all can be. So when well utilized you'd get efficiency gains, but they'd be marginal. Like instead of 33% of the way to the XboxOne you're rounding 36%! Which are numbers I pulled out of my ass. But you get the point.

Good talking to you Zil. Lets make a habit of it.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Doom 3 BFG edition wasn't exactly a graphically demanding game and the less than stellar port isn't representative of last gen console performance.

Also "switch architecture" is a reference to the fully clocked Shield android TV no? That console had poor performance with last gen console ports of MGS:R and RE5. So yeah lets not write off last gen consoles based on one single port.

One GAFer had a rooted shield tv and did some tests on it. When under stress, the device throttled down to exactly the Switch docked clocks. It was very interesting to see.

I'd like to know what kind of jobs people have where they have time to play video games on their lunch break? I've seen some people playing Candy Crush here and there on their phones but I have never seen anyone break out a handheld. What do you do? Go outside or to the break room to play?
I'm a software developer. I go lay down on the closest couch and bust out the switch. If anyone else wants to play, then I'll use a stand and we can play together. Looking forward to getting a smaller dock so I can grab a tv for multiplayer.

I'm in for DOOM. I don't have a PS4/XBO/PC and finding out that I'll be able to play this one this year put a smile on my face.

GAF needs to ban the silly suckers who use FD as ammo. It is so weird that "leading" gaming forum lets such asshats be.

Or the sad trolls in this very topic.

PrimeBeef

That sounds promising to me. I'll get Doom and Wolfenstein II on Switch as long as they're good ports, and the FPS is my main concern for me. Everything so far indicates they're taking these ports seriously, which is great to see.

Genuine question here, but would it still be a port if the Switch version is custom built for the hardware?

PrimeBeef

The portability is nice but if you drive your own car it's not going to do anything for you. And I'd like to know what kind of jobs people have where they have time to play video games on their lunch break? I've seen some people playing Candy Crush here and there on their phones but I have never seen anyone break out a handheld. What do you do? Go outside or to the break room to play? Anyway if I really wanted to I could stream my PS4 or PC games to my workstation, but I never would. At least in my line of work it would not be a good look, even if I were doing it on my lunch break.

I worked for a lawn care company for the last 15 years. I pulled out a handheld device routinely when I took my lunch to get 10-20 min of whatever RPG I was currently playing in. That was when I was not taking a nap. I always make sure I have my break time dedicated to my rest and relaxation. Did it too when I was working as an accountant/bookkeeper during my first go around in college.

LCGeek

formerly sane
I believe memory bandwidth is much more important, especially when comparing a mobile device to home console. Using the Gamecube example again, it had 24mb vs 3DS 64mb, but the Gamecube memory moved data insanely fast. The difference wasn't 3x apart when you look at the games visually.

And the PS3 was still handling games from more advanced engines like Crysis 3 or MGSV late into its life. Again, modern architecture isn't a bandaid for raw power deficiency.

I've mentioned many times that tegra x1 handles crysis 3 as you can look up android videos of the port before it was canceled.

There is more to portability than taking it with you everywhere. For me, and plenty of other ive heard, love it because they can play it on the TV and if their wife/kids suddenly need the TV they can simply undock it and continue playing within 15 seconds. I can then stay in the same room and be with my family while playing a game, instead of needing to go into my game room and play alone.

In my opinion the key factor isn't the Switch's portability, it's the ability for the Switch to be flexible depending on your lifestyle. If you hve a long commute you can take it with you...if you have a family, you can play on both the TV and undocked when they need the TV, if you want you can play it as a home console, or you can take it with you to family/friend get togethers and play it in table top mode without the hassle of having to hook it up to the TV.

MCN

Banned
It's nice to see Bethesda putting the effort in. They're basically the last people I expected to do that for a Nintendo machine.

What's the story of doom?

Is the game just mindless, random killing of demons?

I like shooters, and I like single player shooters, so I want to see if this is for me.

What makes the game fun.

I'm also Christian... I know that's random, but I don't know if this will click... Bayonetta did... Game play was too much fun.

Hoping for a demo.

Any thoughts?

Why would being Christian prevent affect your ability to enjoy killing demons from Hell?

Neiteio

I like shooters, and I like single player shooters, so I want to see if this is for me.

What makes the game fun.

I'm also Christian... I know that's random, but I don't know if this will click... Bayonetta did... Game play was too much fun.

Hoping for a demo.

Any thoughts?
"Hell" in DOOM is more like an alien dimension with no relation to any religion. You're pretty much fighting aliens. Evil aliens, mind you. The only life forms you see there are the monsters you've been fighting all along.

"Custom build" seems like a massive exaggeration. The models seem identical in both versions, there's only lower res textures in some places, and lower screen resolution. This is as much a "custom build" as what you get in a PC game by selecting different quality options.

"Custom build" seems like a massive exaggeration. The models seem identical in both versions, there's only lower res textures in some places, and lower screen resolution. This is as much a "custom build" as what you get in a PC game by selecting different quality options.

Custom in that they probably modified how texture streaming is done, how certain shader effects are implemented, LoD modifications, and probably the work done so that multiplayer could be split off into its own download/be made optional. I also wouldn't be surprised if they reworked some of the combat scenarios where a large number of demons attack you to have fewer but stronger enemies so as to ensure a stable framerate.

M3d10n

Since the Switch GPU uses a more modern architecture that the GCN1 there a few changes Id can do to extract more performance, like using ASTC texture compression for the megatextures, saving storage space, RAM and bandwidth.

mcrommert

Banned

What makes the game fun.

Hoping for a demo.

Any thoughts?

Lol Bayonetta was okay but you are worried about doom

Lol

Custom built for the hardware? Bet it uses doom 3 shield engine

Edit: Doom 3, bet it's using the engine

I don't think you understand how game development works at all. Custom built most likely means they had to make actual modifications to the engine outside of simply trying to reduce graphical fidelity. I don't know how you could possibly think they'd instead port the game over to a completely different engine it was never intended to run on (or they would've presumably used that instead) and which would also have to be modified to support the Switch

I didn't realise that Wolfenstein The New Order was 60fps on 360/PS3.

That's pretty amazing.

If Wolfenstein 2 hands in similar results then that would also be really cool.

I have no doubts that Doom is going to run at 60 on Switch - can't wait to see what it looks like.

jwhit28

I didn't realise that Wolfenstein The New Order was 60fps on 360/PS3.

That's pretty amazing.

If Wolfenstein 2 hands in similar results then that would also be really cool.

I have no doubts that Doom is going to run at 60 on Switch - can't wait to see what it looks like.

Wolfenstein 2 should perform similarly to Doom. Probably 60FPS with dynamic resolution.

BigEmil

Since the Switch GPU uses a more modern architecture that the GCN1 there a few changes Id can do to extract more performance, like using ASTC texture compression for the megatextures, saving storage space, RAM and bandwidth.
Yeah people forget the modern architecture in Switch hardware compared to other systems which helps eek out even more from the Switch

Kebiinu

Banned
I play portable at work on my breaks all the time. Most of my game time comes from the handheld aspect of the Switch. I really can't wait for this game, because it looks great; having it on the Switch will be a dream.

Si2k78

DF is great and John Linneman is a saint.

They truly are great at what they do. As critical as they can seem sometimes, they have on countless occasions, praised nintendo's mastery of art direction and smart use of their technology to create outstanding results. They are tough, but fair.

Seik

Banned
Same here!

And I just want to say that I love this photo (it's from this post):

His body language and facial expression say to me "I can't believe what I'm playing!"

Anyone know who he is/what site he works for? Press embargo can't end soon enough.
Is face sure is something, hahaha.

I'd like to hear something from that chap, hopefully we get reports soon.

Top Bottom