• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTD| Oh, you're reading manga? How cute...

The Girl from the Other Side ch.1-5: A very beautiful little manga. I love the quiet thoughtful storytelling, it feels very pensive and melancholic but Shiva is such a bright sunshine ray there's a lot of smaller moments of joy too.

Uramikoi, Koi, Uramikoi 36
xB2Gv.png

itshappening.gif

Zweizer

Banned
Akagi ch301

So that's the last hurrah (for real this time), huh? Akagi didn't change at all, lol.

Somali to Mori no Kami-sama ch23

Even in fantasy, dentistry is scary.

Yuri Mekuru Oshigoto ch18

Who knew watermelons and mosquitoes could be so romantic.

This reminds me of a certain doujinshi.

Tomo-chan wa Onna no ko! ch639

Might as well just let her run alone.

Rokudou no Onna-tachi ch60

That was a pretty nice declaration, and reversal.

lmao

The Adora Burst powers are pretty bullshit though. But entertaining.

And some really cool panelling in that fight.
I really liked this sequence.

Hell yeah!

Uramikoi, Koi, Uramikoi. Ch1-36: How have I not seen this before! It's great, like super good. Love how each families powers work, and how they use them more inventively in the later chapters.

Black Haze Ch227: Erm... so is
Rubymonter
sort of, technically his energy offspring/next king?

Chase17

Kimetsu no Yaiba 77
Tanjiro doing way better than expected. Should be cool to see Uzui fight.

Shudan 12
Adding in night practice, Coach is dedicated. Already signaling out the main three for elite training with other team's players. I could see Roku and Nanase getting chosen but maybe not Soshi.
"Woah, who's that guy he's, oh wait nevermind it's just Kamoshida" was a funny panel.

Introduction of friendly rival is good. The last page spread of his pass to Nanase was well done.

Another hint of whatever is going on with Roku, but still have to wait for that to go anywhere.

Kard8p3

So, uh, is this Rurouni Kenshin Hokkadio arc a reboot or a sequel or what? I read RK like, 4+ years ago so I'm kind of fuzzy on how it ended lol.

Goodnight Punpun 111-114

Holy shit, that escalated quickly. Not that I didn't expect it to head in this direction but fuck. I really hope there's some sort of explanation for all of these 'gods' people keep seeing soon too.

115-121

Holy fuck these characters are all fucking insane.

Goodnight Punpun 111-114

Holy shit, that escalated quickly. Not that I didn't expect it to head in this direction but fuck. I really hope there's some sort of explanation for all of these 'gods' people keep seeing soon too.

115-121

Holy fuck these characters are all fucking insane.
I'm excited to read your impressions once you're through. I finished it a couple days ago and imo it's the best manga I've read since Berserk.

Yuri Natsu -Kagaya Inn- 0-1

Well ain't that just fantastic? The yuri family from Yuri Family get their own mini-series, except they're running an inn for some reason. And the 4th daughter seems to have been written out of existence. If this intro's anything to go by, they'll be hosting a lot of yuri couples and/or yurifying the ones that aren't together. Followed because etc.

Goodnight Punpun 122-134

The part with them just being on the run felt like it dragged on for just a bit too long here, and the stuff with the cult all still seems kind of superfluous. I still keep going back and forth between hating these two (especially when Punpun randomly assaulted that guy from the convenience store), and wanting things to work out for either one or the other, or both, but I think it's safe to say that's definitely not going to happen at this point. Starting the final volume now...

Ascheroth

Twin Star Exorcists - Benio-hen 01

So while Rokuro is busy having a training and tournament arc in the main-story, Benio's journey to reclaiming her lost powers gets relegated to a quarterly spin-off. Right.

I'm pretty disappointed with the direction this took - or more accurately, how this direction is being handled.
I liked this manga because it promised Rokuro and Benio as twin protagonists and the romance between them. Sure, Rokuro was always a bit more 'the' protagonist, but Benio was always there when things happened and important.
I don't even mind the current arc. I don't even mind Benio losing her powers temporarily and her and Rokuro having to go their separate ways in the meantime.
But at the very least, why couldn't you alternate between the two in the main story?
Sigh.

About the chapter itself, it wasn't bad. Being set primarily in Magano it's inherently more unsettling and learning more about the Basara is interesting. That shit with Kamui wasn't necessary though.
Still, sigh.

Goodnight Punpun END

Well, god damn. That was certainly one hell of a ride, definitely have quite a few things I want to say about it (though I usually don't go to in depth with this sort of thing). Fuck, there was some dark shit here. I don't know what I expected after Aiko killed herself but it sure as hell wasn't Punpun dragging her corpse along for another day. As for Punpun as a character, it was really bizarre how it felt so easy to relate to him yet felt like I didn't understand a thing about him sometimes. Not just because of how he was portrayed physically, but how his dialogue and thoughts were shown. There was a big disconnect with how it was done as a sort of narration instead of coming directly from him, and because so much seemed to happen off screen with him, which comes up when Sachi is going around asking about him that there seemed like there was another side of him altogether that we didn't even see, although that did at least keep some part from becoming too predictable. There were definitely some other "OH SHIT" moments near the end too, I had to bust out the first volume twice to check when I realized that Sachi was the girl they ran into at the factory, and that the guy Punpun's mom was talking to in the hospital was their friend from back then who moved. Lastly, I do feel a little conflicted about the ending itself. It was definitely neat to just get a glimpse of what Punpun and his uncle really looked like, and to get some actual dialogue directly from him, but it did feel like it was lacking some consequence by skipping ahead after he was being questioned by the police. Then again, after all the shit he went through it was good to see him get a mostly happy ending. I still feel like the whole bit with Pegasus and his cult was a bit of a waste of time. I'm skimming over an interview with Asano and he said it was mainly to have another story going on to keep the main one from getting to stale, although I don't feel it really succeeded at that. Also, I'm kind of disappointed that the 'gods' people saw didn't really amount to anything. I guess they were mainly meant to be symbolic but when it seemed like Pegasus knew people could see these things I thought there was going to be a bit more to it than that.

Lastly, I wish the book itself didn't have a white cover, there are smudge marks from my fingers all over it now...

Zweizer

Banned
Goodnight Punpun END

Well, god damn. That was certainly one hell of a ride, definitely have quite a few things I want to say about it (though I usually don't go to in depth with this sort of thing). Fuck, there was some dark shit here. I don't know what I expected after Aiko killed herself but it sure as hell wasn't Punpun dragging her corpse along for another day. As for Punpun as a character, it was really bizarre how it felt so easy to relate to him yet felt like I didn't understand a thing about him sometimes. Not just because of how he was portrayed physically, but how his dialogue and thoughts were shown. There was a big disconnect with how it was done as a sort of narration instead of coming directly from him, although that did at least keep some part from becoming too predictable. There were definitely some other "OH SHIT" moments near the end too, I had to bust out the first volume twice to check when I realized that Sachi was the girl they ran into at the factory, and that the guy Punpun's mom was talking to in the hospital was their friend from back then who moved. Lastly, I do feel a little conflicted about the ending itself. It was definitely neat to just get a glimpse of what Punpun and his uncle really looked like, and to get some actual dialogue directly from him, but it did feel like it was lacking some consequence by skipping ahead after he was being questioned by the police. Then again, after all the shit he went through it was good to see him get a mostly happy ending. I still feel like the whole bit with Pegasus and his cult was a bit of a waste of time. I'm skimming over an interview with Asano and he said it was mainly to have another story going on to keep the main one from getting to stale, although I don't feel it really succeeded at that. Also, I'm kind of disappointed that the 'gods' people saw didn't really amount to anything. I guess they were mainly meant to be symbolic but when it seemed like Pegasus knew people could see these things I thought there was going to be a bit more to it than that.

Lastly, I wish the book itself didn't have a white cover, there are smudge marks from my fingers all over it now...

Asano said on record that the ending was the worst possible outcome for Punpun, actually. I personally really like the simplistic covers.

Hope you enjoyed it, and that it wasn't too depressing, lol.

Asano said on record that the ending was the worst possible outcome for Punpun, actually. I personally really like the simplistic covers.

Hope you enjoyed it, and that it wasn't too depressing, lol.

I did enjoy it, although tbh I don't necessarily agree with what Asano intended it to be, although he doesn't seem to mind that people still debate about it at least. I suppose I did read through each volume a little too quickly sometimes for the heavy shit to stick with me as much as it could have. If this were an anime I think I probably wouldn't have been able to push through some parts of it.

Murenase! Shiiton Gakuen 34
NT-Rex. This chapter heralded the birth of the strongest fighting technique in the history of fiction. I suspect the author has a grudge against bears, seeing as how they seem to fill the role of stock villains whenever it's required.

Read the new Rurouni Kenshin chapter, and it was a pretty nice return. It really did feel like the series was just continuing with a timeskip, and there wasn't a real world gap. Though Sano being gone is a shame, I thought the new characters were decently entertaining. I would have preferred more time spent in town before they decided to go off to Hokkaido, though.

Zweizer

Banned
Prison School ch264-265

Things keep getting messier, huh. Kiyoshi is pretty determined at least.

Someone sure knows how to turn a precarious situation to his advantage.

Kobayashi-san chi no Maid Dragon ch52-56

Really liking the various tidbits about dragons' lives. Takiya and Fafnir makes for a great pair. Also, Kobayashi actually fits these clothes rather well!

Gottta love them rare drops.

Tsugumomo ch101

Poor Ouhi getting bullied. Sunao is still the same as ever, lol.

Zannen Jokanbu Black General-san ch40

Number 2 havin' fun. Well, the Rogue Roses aren't doing too badly, from a certain point of view. Let's hope things remain that way.

Murenase! Shiiton Gakuen ch34

Can it really count as NTR(ex) if they never went out to begin with?

This is a weapon of mass destruction of unprecedented scale that has to have violated a few rules in the Geneva convention.

Tomo-chan wa Onna no ko! ch640

How nice of him to think that.

Minamoto-kun Monogatari ch218

0218-007ilsy7.jpg

Yup, that's all they do. Honest.

Ascheroth

Darwin's Game 38-42

Wow, that is some major mindfuckery going on now that this Island Survival arc is gearing up.
Everything right now hints to that current 'game' actually taking place 200 years in the future.
That's one way to advance the story beyond the initial premise of

Sudo Kaname suddenly gets involved in a death game through the mysterious mobile app "Darwin's Game."

I've also skimmed the first few chapters again and my mind is blown because he's actually been setting that up and has introduced major players that have only been relevant recently as early as chapter 3. Damn.

Also suddenly monsters.
Have some Shuka in a dress for counterbalancing.
And I'm loving how badass Kaname has gotten.

Ascheroth

Start a magic ecchi harem romcom manga -> once it gets going turn it into a battle shonen that still happens to be a ecchi harem romcom manga on the side -> make a rushed ending due to external circumstances -> start a vaguely connected sequel -> after it get's going turn it into a direct sequel and reintroduce many of the characters and remaining plot points of the original series -> end the original series in the sequel again -> continue on with the sequel

Akamatsu is one crazy guy.

Maou-jou de Oyasumi 40
Friendship between monsters and humans is wonderful. The princess continues to find new and creative ways to maim the castle's inhabitants, whether physically, emotionally or both. Her chocolate crisis almost made me pity her initially, but I'm not making the alraune's mistake from a few chapters back.

PK Gaming

Prison School ch 264-265

Just how much more messed up can the situation get?
And will Kate and VP experience a big gay awakening together?
And the boys got what they wanted. Series over?

Cess007

Kaguya-sama - 79

lmao the nurse "these days they call them tsundere". That's an understatement lady lol

Komi-san - 78-85

Seems like the winter arc will be interesting

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
Kaguya want's to be confessed to 79 Dumb Dr, of course that's not the issue!

Seven Deadly Sins Oh shit... OH SHIT! Yeah, I guess they all kind of got their shit pushed in, didn't they? Legit a little surprised, I thought we were going to get some rematches or something. At least these new dudes look pretty cool.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
ReLIFE

An is gonna need to post if she's okay because I'm not okay because

p0QmDXE.gif

BLack Clover

I think I know what my 2nd favorite Dorksta team is now, those traps are amazing.

Food Wars
DKBG7mQXcAEO24h.jpg:small

My weakness, and it had to be these three. excellent.

I have a feeling they could even get a total destruction win.

Shuudan 12

Good training camp, I thought we were going to be ending the story soon, but if we're doing a camp instead of the tourney perhaps this will last quitew a long time.

Need to know Roku backstory though.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Parallel Paradise 5-18
Okamoto Lynn is here to bring a new height in literature. When this is all over, he will be a living example of a man run out of fuck to give. This manga is fucking insanity taking a form. The most shameless of all isekai manga. Bless Okamoto Lynn. This is the ulysses of our time. Classic literature

Talentless Nana 6
Well, uh, this is awkward. I mean, it was fairly likely that someone amongst the class had a kind of predictive power that was going to be problematic for her, but the photographic aspect is going to double the difficulty. On the plus side, at least she has the rest of the class (minus Kyouya) onside, and this guy doesn't strike me as being a high tier opponent.

Top Bottom