• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: Star Wars Battlefront 2 has a loot crate problem.

rtcn63

Star Wars Battlefront 2 |OT| Patience you must have, my young Pay-to-win

"Much to earn you still have" also works

HariKari

The entire progression system goes through the loot crates. There is no direct correlation between your playtime and progression. It's insane. EA is out of their fucking minds.

Gator86

why is everything loot box versus season pass with maps...

there are more options for making money.

Nope, the industry has convinced people it's totally down to just these. It's astounding to see how many people parrot this argument. There's a ton of different ways publishers could monetize their products that aren't designed to be exploitative or fracture the community.

Hahaha, that’s amazing.

Star Wars Battlefront 2 |OT| The Clone Wars

Then why release a beta in such a shit state? If this isn’t representative of the final game don’t do a damn beta.

Isn't a beta not supposed to be representative of the full experience by very definition. It's a beta.

Daffy Duck

Isn't a beta not supposed to be representative of the full experience by very definition. It's a beta.

They ain’t betas any more these days, they are glorified demos.

IMHO

If they don’t want people judging their system do not release a “beta” with these elements in, CoD didn’t and we all know that Game will launch with a loot system.

Gator86

The industry tried to have it both ways. How many betas have come out with pre-alpha plastered all over them a month before the game launches with the final product damn near identical?

The entire progression system goes through the loot crates. There is no direct correlation between your playtime and progression. It's insane. EA is out of their fucking minds.
Apparently in the final game you'll be able to put your credits towards boxes for specific classes.

Still a bad system, but not as bad as the beta.

Star Wars Battlefront 2 |OT| You underestimate my wallet
I like this one. Post it in the OT for the old game.

DerpHause

Shouldn't that be alphas?

My understanding was that Beta's should be largely feature complete and largely indicative of what to expect and function primarily like a mass play test to identify remaining defects that more limited play testing may have missed.

Kadin

Posted in the original OT but thought I'd post here as well just in case.

Star Wars Battlefront 2 |OT| I find your lack of crates disturbing

Shouldn't that be alphas?

My understanding was that Beta's should be largely feature complete and largely indicative of what to expect and function primarily like a mass play test to identify remaining defects that more limited play testing may have missed.

Feature complete yeah but do you expect the loot system in the beta to reflect the main game? You expect challenges and all that sort of thing in a beta? Why?

What is coming out this fall that doesn't have a loot crate problem? Mario?

That depends on what you want to believe. According to reviews Shadow of War doesn't have one and Assassin's Creed doesn't have one either. But if you dislike those publishers or those games you'll believe what you want.

After the Destiny 2 loot box controversy wound up being a tempest in a teapot, I've decided to wait until the game is released before passing judgement.

spectator

The moment EA started the 'no season pass' parade, I knew we'd have loot boxes. I pre-ordered anyway because I thought they'd be cosmetic. I never imagined they'd be stupid enough to do pay-to-win in 2017.

Never underestimate EA, I guess.

DerpHause

Feature complete yeah but do you expect the loot system in the beta to reflect the main game? You expect challenges and all that sort of thing in a beta? Why?

Generally yes, but more accelerated, again to facilitate play testing and balance analysis in mid to late game progression. If anything, I expect post beta play testing to be slower than what's present in a beta should it be intended to encompass testing the full scope of the game.

But if it's not a test but a teaser/demo, yes I expect it to still be feature complete including progression.

Xater

Battlefront 2 |OT| The First Order of Business

I like this one.

I have been a fan of Dice games for so long seeing them come up with such garbage is really disappointing.

The moment EA started the 'no season pass' parade, I knew we'd have loot boxes. I pre-ordered anyway because I thought they'd be cosmetic. I never imagined they'd be stupid enough to do pay-to-win in 2017.

Never underestimate EA, I guess.

They talked about this system months ago. Apparently I am the only one who paid attention. I was immediately worried about it turning P2W.

What is coming out this fall that doesn't have a loot crate problem? Mario?

I’m probably buying like 10 games on PS4, 3ds and Switch between Sept and the holiday and none of them are affected.

At the moment it only seems to affect these mainstream AAA games that are designed to be nothing more than addictive timesinks, which I don’t play.

Don’t get me wrong it’s an incredibly shitty practice. For now, I’m safe. And I hope to see the worst of loot crate design go the way of paid map packs, etc

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk

edbrat

if a full priced game asks me to "learn" some progression or content unlock system which may involve paid loot boxen to some extent, I can't be fucked to learn it. Game is off the "shall I buy" list and publisher will be under suspicion for the foreseeable.

Forza, Evolve, this shit and others I won't even try to judge whether there is a good game somewhere underneath the "monetisation strategies", I'm just not interested. Fortunately there is still one big ass universe of excellent gaming available to me which more than fulfils my needs.

Generally yes, but more accelerated, again to facilitate play testing and balance analysis in mid to late game progression. If anything, I expect post beta play testing to be slower than what's present in a beta should it be intended to encompass testing the full scope of the game.

But if it's not a test but a teaser/demo, yes I expect it to still be feature complete including progression.

I've never played a MP beta that was representative of the full game's progression. Last two before SWBF2 were Destiny 2 and For Honor. Both were wildly different from beta. But to each their own.

Roshin

Everything is lootcrate this holiday season.

- What did Santa give you for christmas, then?
- Loot crates. It was all loot crates.

av74NiL.jpg

Bedlam

I want to puke at this shit.

If it wasn't for indie developers and some good AAA developers, I'd have quit this hobby already (after 25 years of gaming, no less).

Fuck you, EA! My boycott continues...

DerpHause

I've never played a MP beta that was representative of the full game's progression. Last two before SWBF2 were Destiny 2 and For Honor. Both were wildly different from beta. But to each their own.

I know in D2 there were feedback changes but I'm not aware of anything wildly different. But I didn't play that beta so...

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
My instinct is that EA will make the loot crate purchases really shitty so you'd have to pour hundreds of dollars into it to make a real impact. Gotta milk those whales dry.

It flew under the radar, but Plants vs Zombies: Garden Warfare had an almost identical system.

SeppOCE

I knew the moment EA announced free dlc for this game they would try and make up the season pass money somewhere else. We know there will be people that spend a fuck tonne of money on this regardless.

So it's another big game that's shouting "save time by throwing money at us".

Or, I could just not buy it and save myself a lot more time, and money!

Kinyou

Pose POS, where did the character customization go.
My guess would be that this happened because of the class system. The player should be able to recognize whether they're fighting an assault class or a sniper so Dice gave them a unified look instead of letting the players go wild with customization.

HariKari

My guess would be that this happened because of the class system. The player should be able to recognize whether you're fighting an assault class or a sniper so they give them a unified look instead of letting the players go wild with customization.

Yeah, because droids don't all look the same.

Your reasoning doesn't make sense at all. In the previous game, you could only change the head and race for the most part, apart from a few 'skins' that were still easy to recognize faction wise.

I think the more likely answer is that visual customization will probably be 100% paid.

Top Bottom