• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: Star Wars Battlefront 2 has a loot crate problem.

shiba5

I guess Disney is ok exposing kids to predatory gambling tactics. Hmmm...
Eventually the industry is going to get smacked down with legislation because they can't help themselves.

Well I'm glad there are some outlets reporting on this for once. Dunno how Shadow of War is still getting a pass.

Apparently in the final game you'll be able to put your credits towards boxes for specific classes.

Still a bad system, but not as bad as the beta.

Yeah but you would say that. You've been on all of these BF2 threads in full damage control mode trying to justify this is anyway shape or form.

UK residents:

Parlimentary petition is up asking the government to look at loot crates and gambling.

100,000 signatures to be debated in Parliment. Surely this is something that needs proper debate. If you agree that this needs debating, go here and add your name to the petition:

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/201300
Someone should make a new thread for this.

Lootboxes are gambling and there should be specific laws for them.

SoulUnison

Banned
It gets worse when you consider there are bronze, silver, and gold versions of each Star Card - plus a fourth tier I'm not sure the name of. For instance, Boba Fett has a Star Card ability called Death From Above which grants him damage reduction while jetpacking and using Rocket Barrage. Its lowest tier damage reduction (bronze) is 50 per cent, and it's highest tier 100 per cent. That's a huge difference.

Wait, wouldn't "100% damage reduction" mean the character is literally invincible when performing certain actions?

Kinyou

Yeah, because droids don't all look the same.

Your reasoning doesn't make sense at all. In the previous game, you could only change the head and race for the most part, apart from a few 'skins' that were still easy to recognize faction wise.

I think the more likely answer is that visual customization will probably be 100% paid.
If customization was paid content I'd imagine it would already be part of the lootboxes. And true, the droids are the least distinct but to me it feels like they still tried. That the heavy droid is the only that's dark grey didn't happen by accident.

Murkas

I swear if Capcom puts loot crates in Monster Hunter World or SFV Arcade edition I'm gonna wreck shit.

Oh cool like a hunters crate? Where I can film myself opening these boxes and then when a Rathalos Ruby appears I can jump around and start screaming?

Man this crate problem is gonna get worse isn't it? Worst part for me is that it's just so uncreative, you got these legendary items or whatever, and you can put them behind a well designed end game puzzle, dungeon, boss fight, skill based test of some sort, hidden Easter egg. Nah pay us money for a chance lol. All this stuff is easy for me, I just don't buy the game, there's plenty of other games, old and new. I just pray every night that they don't appear in Souls and Monster Hunter games.

I had Battlefront 2 as a day one before the beta.

I might just pass on it.

At least I will have less distractions for the GMAT.

DirtyLarry

Just going to quote myself from my impressions of the Beta. I feel like this article is what I was talking about, just better stated...

I feel as if there is way more nonsense going on than the first game. I know a lot of people disliked the stripped down approach of the first game but I actually liked it. Could get in play a quick match and get out.

With that said I also am not really a big fan of the whole "loot box" thing all games seem to incorporate these days. I am guessing others do enjoy it and I am in the minority there, or perhaps all developers are just that out of touch with their audience.

I can sincerely say that I am thinking of canceling my preorder now. Not because it is a little rough around the edges right now (which it no doubt is, there is a decent amount of freezing and stuttering).

I can overlook all of the technical stuff since it is a beta. It is however the overall new approach does not seem very conducive to a player like myself. One who does not get a lot of time to play these days and therefore is usually just average but I still enjoy playing. I feel like the first game allowed me to be that player without many repercussions. It no doubt appears the new approach is going to favor those who can dedicate a lot of time, collect cards, etc., and that is a guaranteed approach to the fastest way possible in me losing interest.

Yeah but you would say that. You've been on all of these BF2 threads in full damage control mode trying to justify this is anyway shape or form.
Boy, if you'd actually read my posts you'd see I have legitimate criticisms of the game, including the crate system.

But no, go ahead and dismiss what I have to say without doing any reading and critical thinking in your part.

Nokterian

Never seen that video before. Both the guys and girls reaction (at 4:05) to this stuff is very, very crazy to see. You'd think they just won a real money lottery.

Like i said those are skins for guns, sure cosmetic but boy it doesn't take a genius to see that this is no good. I love the cosmetics in dota 2 because it is made by the community and fits the hero's.

But seeing this from BF2..is sad..

prag16

Banned
Wait, wouldn't "100% damage reduction" mean the character is literally invincible when performing certain actions?

That's what it sound like. And if so, that can't be right. I feel like it has to be an oversight, a mistake, or a placeholder of some kind. But who knows.

Feeroper

Oh no, not this game too! I am a huge Star Wars fan, but I cant support this practice at all - I've already sworn off Forza 7 & Shadow of War despite my temptation - this one will be painful to turn away, but I cannot get behind this at all. I know it will still sell a huge boatload regardless, but I don't want to contribute to this shit.

Not too surprised given its EA and they are essentially moving their Ultimate team system out of the sports games. Its becoming such a big part of these "AAA" games now, and its too hard to justify these days with killer indies coming out all the time now.

JPS Kai

Question.

How are the lootboxes in SWBF2 worse than trading card packs in PvZ:GW2 where entire classes were locked behind a wall of crates?

Question.

How are the lootboxes in SWBF2 worse than trading card packs in PvZ:GW2 where entire classes were locked behind a wall of crates?
Was Garden Warfare 2 a $60 game? Could those boxes be bough with real money?

Geniunely asking, I haven't played GW2

Warablo

The problem isn't a loot crate problem. The problem is that game creators/publishers are starting to design games around loot crates in a full priced game.

HariKari

That's what it sound like. And if so, that can't be right. I feel like it has to be an oversight, a mistake, or a placeholder of some kind. But who knows.

Doesn't seem like it. A lot of the Starfighter cards are like that, with straight upgrades to health, damage, and cooling capacity.

CSJ

So this either gives publishers worse ideas or it falls flat on it's face for the sake of all of us.
I'm glad we still have devs/pubs that still release a game whole, all ready for you to play without bullshit.

Nothing makes me not want to play an MP game more when I can't just play at the same level as the next person once/twice in a month without benefits. It's what I love about overwatch as the most recent example.

Doesn't matter how little I play, I can hop in and it's like I never left.
Not worrying about having to keep up, or falling behind to be on the same level as the people around me.

Cancelled my pre-order. Seriously, the MP did not seem like an upgrade to me, the gunplay was terrible and it suffered from that vanilla MP scenario. The space battle was cool but something was missing from it. Ships are still way to hard to control.

Oh, and fuck these loot boxes. Only dev I've seen do this that I didn't mind was 343 ironically.

Full priced games cannot have Loot Boxes. Either increase the price of your game, or don't have it. I hope the industry crashes if this becomes normal.

Shadow of War, Assassins Creed I was going to buy until I heard they had them.

Daffy Duck

Full priced games cannot have Loot Boxes. Either increase the price of your game, or don't have it. I hope the industry crashes if this becomes normal.

Shadow of War, Assassins Creed I was going to buy until I heard they had them.

Or give it away for free.

clo1_2000

Banned
Sad to say I will be skipping this one. My two sons loved the first one, but I don’t want them learning about gacha quite yet.

It's comical watching the AAA gaming industry completely fall head over heels for loot boxes.

And by comical, I mean depressing.

Top Bottom