• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Morrowind 2011 - It's out!

vazel

Banned
I just read the reddit post about all the drama surrounding this mod. It's weird seeing people claim copyright to mods. This compilation is the only thing that has made me interested in playing this game again. I can't be bothered handpicking a bunch of different mods and making sure they're working right together.

Here's a torrent of Morrowind 2011 for those wanting it. It's from the reddit page. I'll be seeding for several weeks. http://www.mediafire.com/?cjjx4gnyq0yyrtl

Ledsen said:
It's still not even close to comprehensive, and it's missing some of the best stuff out there. It also might not be to everyone's taste, which is why compilations generally are à bad idea. Mod lists and tutoriald are really all anyone should ever need to make the game look like they want.

Cool. Don't use the compilation then.

For people who don't feel like sleuthing for files and going back and forth between tutorials written in 2006, this compilation will work just fine.

why are modders so damn dramatic, jesus christ...

I guess thats the reason fcom is like goddamn rocket science to get setup .... is so people dont get butthurt their rextextured forks got included with someone else sharpened filter x10 WOODGRAIN_12093 texture.

The guy who compiled the mod didn't a) didn't bother to seek approval from various mod authors and b) kept the project lowkey until the release. Overall the intention warwon had in mind was nice, but execution could've used more communication with the community. Though peachykeen was rather aggressive with his comments.

ZombieSupaStar said:
why are modders so damn dramatic, jesus christ...

I guess thats the reason fcom is like goddamn rocket science to get setup .... is so people dont get butthurt their rextextured forks got included with someone else sharpened filter x10 WOODGRAIN_12093 texture.
FCOM is a whole different bag though. You're combining 4 different gameplay overhaul mods into 1 package.
99% of mods compiled in the pack are essentially drag and drop.

i just think most modders tend to be batshit insane, maybe modding (creation of) attracts certain personality types. Although none are crazier than Tessera.

Dave Long

Banned
I'm sure all those modders always play by the letter of the law with the DMCA and copyright in their daily lives. None of their music is gotten without paying for it, etc.

What a bunch of assholes.

Benedict

I am only getting about 10-15 fps according to the fps ticker in the corner.
I have a i5 450 processor (2.4GHz, 3 MB L3 cache), 4 gb RAM and a ATI Radeon HD 5650 1gb graphics card.

I have halved the grass and mesh to 50%.

Running it at 1280 x720 windowed.

Isn't that low?
What can I change to improve this?
Will it run better in full-screen?

cicero

morrowind2011.wordpress.com is no longer available.

The authors have deleted this blog.
Chalk up another win for the crazy-ass overprotective modders. At the least they kept more people from revisiting the game or playing it for the first time!

hamchan

I know I'm grateful to the guy for making this compilation. I tried to mod Morrowind before and failed pretty miserably with incompatible mods and plenty of errors popping up in game.

John

hamchan said:
I know I'm grateful to the guy for making this compilation. I tried to mod Morrowind before and failed pretty miserably with incompatible mods and plenty of errors popping up in game.
same here. i'm a fan of practicality.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
vazel said:
I just read the reddit post about all the drama surrounding this mod. It's weird seeing people claim copyright to mods. This compilation is the only thing that has made me interested in playing this game again. I can't be bothered handpicking a bunch of different mods and making sure they're working right together.

Here's a torrent of Morrowind 2011 for those wanting it. It's from the reddit page. I'll be seeding for several weeks. http://www.megaupload.com/?d=Q3WSYCEP
link is down

cicero

hamchan said:
This was my problem too. The third time I spent hours going through threads and mod lists trying to set up everything perfectly just from the available information at hand, and then tracked down most of the mods, some of them being no longer available, and then I finally just gave it up.

The idea that someone else would do all the work for everyone else and then make it easy to install, all while specifically giving credit to the modders, I just don't see the problem. At least I downloaded it and the instructions before it went down.

6y53D.png

There are Morrowind guides that a) run better and b) don't go overboard on the bloom like Morrowind 2011 does. The idea of a quick installation is nice, but you get much better results else where.

Deadly

Fuuuck, just decided to download the package but now it's down?! This suuuuuucks. If anyone can PM a link to the torrent it would be greatly appreciated!

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Dave Long said:
I'm sure all those modders always play by the letter of the law with the DMCA and copyright in their daily lives. None of their music is gotten without paying for it, etc.

What a bunch of assholes.

Yeah. I'll be seeding this for weeks just out of spite.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
viewtifulsub said:
6y53D.png

There are Morrowind guides that a) run better and b) don't go overboard on the bloom like Morrowind 2011 does. The idea of a quick installation is nice, but you get much better results else where.

How about linking or describing how to get those better results, then?

Dennis

Banned
viewtifulsub said:
6y53D.png

I don't mean to be an ass but those screens look nowhere as good as those already posted of this Morrowind 2011 compilation :lol

If there are better graphical mods out there you are of course more than welcome to post screens and links.

Man

I'm so buying this for Steam next weekend and updating. I would rate this among the top 5 titles released in 2000-2010.

EviLore said:
81 separate downloads and installations, and numerous configuration steps? If only someone could create some sort of mod compilation package...

Your suffering makes it all worth it.

-Regards, Morrowind Mod Community

UrbanRats

EviLore said:
81 separate downloads and installations, and numerous configuration steps? If only someone could create some sort of mod compilation package...
But that would violate all the basics human rights! That's crazy talk!

Anyway, i don't like the OP result, too saturated, too bloom, but i love the darker night (compared to what viutifulsub posted). They almost never nail that.. i can remember ArmA, SIREN and a few others, that nailed the night's darkness.

All in all though, i like the more "faithful" version out of the two, even though the water shaders are far inferior.

Dennis

Banned
UrbanRats said:
But that would violate all the basics human rights! That's crazy talk!

Anyway, i don't like the OP result, too saturated, too bloom, but i love the darker night (compared to what viutifulsub posted). They almost never nail that.. i can remember ArmA, SIREN and a few others, that nailed the night's darkness.

All in all though, i like the more "faithful" version out of the two, even though the water shaders are far inferior.
I don't really understand. Too bloom? I and others posted screenshots from the game modded with this mod on page 2 and there isn't really much bloom unless you are staring at the sun. As for to saturated....just mess with your monitor color settings if you are bothered.

Shows that even in the world design oblivion was a clusterfuck. From a weird alien landscape filled with fucked up people to fantasy filled trope bullshit designed by disney.

UrbanRats

DennisK4 said:
I don't really understand. Too bloom? I and others posted screenshots from the game modded with this mod on page 2 and there isn't really much bloom unless you are staring at the sun. As for to saturated....just mess with your monitor color settings if you are bothered.
uhm, maybe i've explained myself wrong, i'll tell you what i don't like:

first, the use of colors, that were rather toned down in vanilla Morro, is generally fucked up in some of the screens (especially in the video). i can't recalibrate the monitor everytime i enter the game and recalibrate it back once i'm out.
secondly, i don't like the "pretty faces"-- now, i like the better models/textures of 'em, but i liked the ugly morro faces, since it was a medieval terrible harsh place, with possibly an unhealthy diet and so on.. don't like the Korean MMO vibe from all those model agency faces.
there are some strange things in the screens, regarding the colors and texture:

Trees in the BG are super green, while the one in FG is normal:
http://www.abload.de/img/morrowind2011-01-0417-gml0.jpg

Same:
http://www.abload.de/img/morrowind2011-01-0416-dm03.jpg

Here, too, i don't like the colors and some textures (the house) not to mention the two women that are a bit too "perfect":
http://i.imgur.com/gnQ6e.jpg

--
I don't wanna nitpick, there are a lot of things i love about it, from the screens you guys posted (as i said, the water shaders, the godrays, the night's darkness etc) but i don't quite "feel" some of the artistic choices.
It's a taste kinda thing, i'm not saying they are wrong and i'm right.

D-Pad

Other topic died, so I'm going to repost my question here. hopefully someone knows what's up.

So I downloaded Morrowind GOTY Edition from Steam and played it and it's great. Just as I remembered. Now I want to cheat.

The tilde ('~') key is supposed to bring up the console, right? Unfortunately that's not working for me, as pressing that key does nothing. I've read that it has something to do with those little remotes that plug into the laptop, but unplugging that doesn't work either. Then some talk of changing the config, but I can't find where Steam put any of the game files...

I'm using an HP dv7-3067nr Entertainment Notebook, which comes with a remote control that plugs in to the side. Everything else in the game works fine, I just want to play around with the cheats. Help?

here is my steam location for morrowind (g is my games drive yours would probably be C)

G:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\morrowind

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
EviLore said:

Yeah sure, but a compilation package does not mean it is the best packaged mods, nor a definitively better visual experience than vanilla Morrowind.

The thing with compilation packages is that they pick only a handful of so many mods available, and many of equal quality wont be included.

This is the easy way out, and a great option for sure, but there are still huge benefits of doing the hard way.

Dennis

Banned
EatChildren said:
Yeah sure, but a compilation package does not mean it is the best packaged mods, nor a definitively better visual experience than vanilla Morrowind.
Eh? If there is one thing that the mod compilation does well it is improving the grahics enormously and very easily compared to messing with installing each mod individually.

With very little effort this brings ridiculously better visuals - that is the charm for people who can't be bothered to follow the Morrowind mod scene religiously.

Ledsen

EatChildren said:

The thing with compilation packages is that they pick only a handful of so many mods available, and many of equal quality wont be included.

This is the easy way out, and a great option for sure, but there are still huge benefits of doing the hard way.

Yep. Modding isn't THAT hard if you follow a guide. Just take 30 mins to start downloading all the mods, and you've got a slow connection, come back the next day and go through the guide in a couple of hours, and if it's a good guide it probably has a few alternatives for you to choose from. I realize not everyone has the time, and that's perfectly understandable, but people tend to exaggerate the time commitment it takes and act like it's brain surgery or something. This mod compilation was handled EXTREMELY poorly by the guy who put it together, and he deserved getting slammed for it (not the compilation itself, but like I said, the way he handled it). I mean, purposefully keeping it a secret until release, and not even asking anyone for permission first? If he had asked, at least he wouldn't have gotten this reaction from the community. Many of the assets in these mods are indeed copyrighted, for example textures and meshes that the modders have created from scratch, and they have the right to decide how and when they are distributed.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
DennisK4 said:
Eh? If there is one thing that the mod compilation does well it is improving the grahics enormously and very easily compared to messing with installing each mod individually.

With very little effort this brings ridiculously better visuals - that is the charm for people who can't be bothered to follow the Morrowind mod scene religiously.

Yeah, but not everybody is happy with every little change, regardless of how you or someone else might feel, or how the improvement might rate on a purely technological level. Some people dont like all colour tone alterations, changes to lighting and shadows, and other such things.

Compilations are great for quick fix improvements like this, but they're not for everybody, nor are they necessarily the best improvements available.

Parts

EatChildren said:
Yeah, but not everybody is happy with every little change, regardless of how you or someone else might feel, or how the improvement might rate on a purely technological level. Some people dont like all colour tone alterations, changes to lighting and shadows, and other such things.

Compilations are great for quick fix improvements like this, but they're not for everybody, nor are they necessarily the best improvements available.
...Which is why having the option is nice. I don't see the problem with having both, and don't undersand why their creators are having such a giant spazz attack about all this.

D-Pad

ZombieSupaStar said:
here is my steam location for morrowind (g is my games drive yours would probably be C)

G:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\morrowind

thank you, unfortunately I couldn't find anything in the ini that would help me. However I did solve the problem and the console pulls up for me now. The downside is I had to uninstall the following drivers to do it:

Microsoft eHome Remote Control Keyboard keys
Microsoft eHome MCIR Keyboard
Microsoft eHome MCIR 109 Keyboard

It really is the remote control's fault. The IR apparently blocks some keys from being used in certain applications (though they all work in Word, etc). If I need them again I guess I'll just reinstall them. :lol

viewtifulsub said:

So I basically used his guide with the exception of me subbing out his Visual Pack XT with Morrowind Visual Pack- Combined 3.0. It has the pack he listed, and also ground textures, for some reason his texture lists don't have a nice ground texture replacement (unless i missed it?) so we have this high res textures, and ass brown 2002 morrowind ground textures.

Also remove improved chargen, it doesn't work.

And finally download Mlox (it is the BOSS for morrowind, activate the files before running it, so it seems them, also don't forget to dl the list also, its separate, and needed)

I still don't have much in fancy shaders going (cept water) but it runs a lot better than the morrowind 2011 mod, id just like maybe a good SSAO shader and I think ill be set.

MW_01-1.jpg

MW_02.jpg

MW_04.jpg

bengraven

I fucked something up. I downloaded the entire thing and ran MGUI and it's the default graphics for ground textures and water with annoying Bloom-y fog and better faces the only way I know I may have done something correct.

hlhbk

Does anyone have a link to the instructions for this mod? Since the guy took it down I cant' find them anywhere.

pilonv1

Benedict said:
I am only getting about 10-15 fps according to the fps ticker in the corner.
I have a i5 450 processor (2.4GHz, 3 MB L3 cache), 4 gb RAM and a ATI Radeon HD 5650 1gb graphics card.

I have halved the grass and mesh to 50%.

Running it at 1280 x720 windowed.

Isn't that low?
What can I change to improve this?
Will it run better in full-screen?

I get ~15-20fps @ 1920x1080 with an i5-750, 4gb of ram and a 5850. I could probably play around with it but I've lost interest.

Top Bottom