• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KPop-GAF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashhong

AbortedWalrusFetus said:
I was a bit surprised that
the director didn't hook up with Woo Young's sister
at the end. They sort of built up the interest and then left it completely alone. I think the fact that Son Ye-jin (she is adorable, loved her in Alone in Love) did a cameo sort of changed their plan there.

Did you catch the interview special? I wasn't sure if it had been subbed yet, but my wife is begging me to find out. She also wants me to find her another drama to watch. I was thinking about "My Girlfriend is a Gumiho", but it seems like it's geared to younger audiences. We tend to prefer dramas where the cast of characters is more mature (ie 30 year olds, not 20 year old kids).

I actually couldnt recognize
that last girl that the director hooks up with. I thought it looked like the sister but I forgot to go back and rewatch it. Apparently it wasn't her? Oh well, such a small plot line. My friend told me to prepare for a tragic ending, so I was almost disappointed with the way it ended. The final episode was so happy and cheesy, but I can't blame the show

I got the video, but I haven't seen any subtitles. I don't think its available yet. I'm watching Dream High right now. It's not as dramatic but if she is into Kpop at all I think she would enjoy it. It's about 6 students at a school that specializes in performing arts if you don't know. Features a bunch of JYP artists and their songs, as well as others.

Ashhong said:
I actually couldnt recognize
that last girl that the director hooks up with. I thought it looked like the sister but I forgot to go back and rewatch it. Apparently it wasn't her? Oh well, such a small plot line. My friend told me to prepare for a tragic ending, so I was almost disappointed with the way it ended. The final episode was so happy and cheesy, but I can't blame the show

I got the video, but I haven't seen any subtitles. I don't think its available yet. I'm watching Dream High right now. It's not as dramatic but if she is into Kpop at all I think she would enjoy it. It's about 6 students at a school that specializes in performing arts if you don't know. Features a bunch of JYP artists and their songs, as well as others.

The show would have had much more dramatic impact if
they had just left Gil Ra Im in Kim Joo Won's body at the end and left it at that, and left Gil Ra Im's body in a coma
but it would have been altogether too depressing. My wife actually seemed to like the happy ending more anyway. It's interesting, because in almost every drama I've seen the ending is double edged. In this
Kim Joo Won's mother does not accept Gil Ra Im
. In Alone in Love you think everything is going to be nice and happy and they literally end the show with
the female leads sister (I forget the names, it's been a long time) getting breast cancer
. In My Name is Kim Sam Soon, as I recall, it's another case of
the mother not accepting the relationship
but it's been a while since I watched that as well. It seems like there's some cultural idiosyncrasy that says "you can't have a fully happy ending."

Ashhong

Haha I haven't watched those so I made sure not to read those spoilers. However regarding the Garden ending,
I don't feel like it's a double edged sword, even though it is to the characters because I hated the mother so much. I'm sure every viewer hated her.
And did you notice her nostrils? They were as big as her eyes!

Ashhong said:
Haha I haven't watched those so I made sure not to read those spoilers. However regarding the Garden ending,
I don't feel like it's a double edged sword, even though it is to the characters because I hated the mother so much. I'm sure every viewer hated her.
And did you notice her nostrils? They were as big as her eyes!

Yeah, you're pretty much spot on there, haha. I didn't notice her nostrils, but her face did look really weird to both of us. As an aside, holy crap I want Kim Joo Won's house from that show so badly. That place was just too awesome. Also, every time I see Jejudo on tv/drama I want to go there even more.

I'm trying to remember the ending for Shining Inheritance/Brilliant Legacy and recall if it was double edged or not. I don't think it was, but considering how terrible the entire show made you feel, it's probably for the best that it wasn't.

Edit:
Wait, you haven't seen My Name is Kim Sam Soon yet!? You must fix this travesty immediately. Everything I've seen Kim Sun-ah in has been amazing. Watch Kim Sam Soon and City Hall immediately. I think Kim Sam Soon is somewhat responsible for my absolute adoration of Clazziquai, as well.

Ashhong

AbortedWalrusFetus said:
Yeah, you're pretty much spot on there, haha. I didn't notice her nostrils, but her face did look really weird to both of us. As an aside, holy crap I want Kim Joo Won's house from that show so badly. That place was just too awesome. Also, every time I see Jejudo on tv/drama I want to go there even more.

I'm trying to remember the ending for Shining Inheritance/Brilliant Legacy and recall if it was double edged or not. I don't think it was, but considering how terrible the entire show made you feel, it's probably for the best that it wasn't.

Edit:
Wait, you haven't seen My Name is Kim Sam Soon yet!? You must fix this travesty immediately. Everything I've seen Kim Sun-ah in has been amazing. Watch Kim Sam Soon and City Hall immediately.

Haha will put that on my list once I catch up in Dream High.

Most of that house was pretty nice, especially from the outside, but that "room" was so weird. It felt like he was in a nest in a tree or something. I liked Oska's house though.

By any chance have you seen First Love? It was Bae Yong Joon (K-drama legend)'s first breakout role, and like the most popular drama of all time. It's my absolute favorite. I need to find it and rewatch it. So good..

Ashhong said:
Haha will put that on my list once I catch up in Dream High.

Most of that house was pretty nice, especially from the outside, but that "room" was so weird. It felt like he was in a nest in a tree or something. I liked Oska's house though.

By any chance have you seen First Love? It was Bae Yong Joon (K-drama legend)'s first breakout role, and like the most popular drama of all time. It's my absolute favorite. I need to find it and rewatch it. So good..

Yeah, Oska's was nice as well. I just liked the big marble staircase Kim Joo Won had.

I haven't seen First Love. I'll have to look out for it.

Isn't Taeyeon in Dream High? I seem to remember seeing her in some rehearsal for it.

Ashhong

It was from like 1996. If you see it somewhere make sure to let us know haha.

Taeyeon isn't in here as far as I know. Funny cause there was an SNSD song on here, and while they showed part of the video, they purposely left out SNSD name and only said the song title. I thought it was funny.

Taecyeon however is on here, singer from 2PM. If you didn't see a video I would say that you misread it and got them confused lol.

Ashhong said:
It was from like 1996. If you see it somewhere make sure to let us know haha.

Taeyeon isn't in here as far as I know. Funny cause there was an SNSD song on here, and while they showed part of the video, they purposely left out SNSD name and only said the song title. I thought it was funny.

Taecyeon however is on here, singer from 2PM. If you didn't see a video I would say that you misread it and got them confused lol.

My memory is a bit fuzzy. I can't remember if I saw a video or read an article. It was probably just an article and said Taecyeon. Although a quick google search shows that a typo of the name isn't outside the realm of possibility either, haha.

suzu

I haven't watched many kdramas, but I like Coffee Prince and My Girlfriend is a Gumiho. Could always give a few episodes a try.

I tend to watch variety shows more. I pretty much like anything Yoo Jaesuk hosts, haha.. Family Outing season 1, and Running Man being my favorites. I like 1N2D, but I haven't really kept up since Mong was ousted. :(

Actually, I've only seen like maybe 8 dramas in total. Maybe even less. My wife has seen more. The only reason we ever even got interested in dramas/korean culture in general was because when we were hanging around her dorm in college there was nothing on TV so we just put on this local station that happened to be playing a koean drama at the time. We watched a few episodes and she got hooked and then every time I went over she had to watch. I think the first one I ever saw was Bizarre Bunch. After that she begged me to find her more. Things like crunchyroll and dramafever certainly made things a lot easier.

Peru

I promise I won't mention it again, but since there's some added drama traffic here now, and for anyone who's looking for

a) a good k-drama in general
b) one that's different from other k-dramas

they NEED to check out Jungle Fish 2. It's "2" because the first one was a Peabody award-winning made-for-tv special (ie one 'episode'), which I, btw, haven't watched yet but will (the stories/characters aren't connected, but the school setting is similar). JF2 is eight episodes and features

a) beautiful cinematography
b) great music
c) great acting, characters, dialogue, chemistry between the cast
d) a lack of soap cliches
e) a korean society that's not a caricature

oh and a few idols (who do well) for those who need motivation

Pikeyenny's blog, as usual for KBS World broadcasts (well, only the 2 first episodes up yet, but they'll be put up continuously.

Ashhong

smurfx said:
alright k-pop gaf time to be useful! what are some of the hits right now? can you post some?

Just going by the recent music show winners off the top of my head..

IU - Good Day
TVXQ - Keep Your Head Down
Secret - Shy Boy
SNSD - Hoot

Other hits:
T-ara - Yayaya
Kara - Jumping
G-Dragon & TOP - Knockout

I'm missing so many..

Was reminded by a lurker of this post by Peru, though the list is of 2010 as a whole and the order is way wrong.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=25094777&postcount=410

Fafnir

Aww the SNSD/Kreepy thread got closed =/ Oh well I guess it ran it's course as any serious discussion of beautiful girls acting goofy was done after the 5th page.

RIP SNSD thread!

AGRNx.gif

suzu said:
I tend to watch variety shows more. I pretty much like anything Yoo Jaesuk hosts, haha.. Family Outing season 1, and Running Man being my favorites. I like 1N2D, but I haven't really kept up since Mong was ousted. :(

This past spring/summer was brutal for 1N2D with the labor strike and KimC/Mong leaving, but the show is finally getting back it's steam. I'd say skip the summer episodes and start watching from the Kang Ho Dong vs Lee Man-ki ssireum rematch, it really brings back the "anything can happen" aspect of the show as the beginning of the episode starts from canceling a trip due to bad weather to the most epic ssireum match since Ho Dong wrestled the 6 marines.

I'm going through Family Outing right now and Yoo Jaesuk is a comedic genius as he'll do anything to get a laugh:

gbdB7.gif
bWmUY.gif

Plus it's awesome to see sexy Hyori go from this:

LHtF2.gif
hKgWm.gif

to variety queen:

lDAs7.gif
GUYQp.gif

It's too bad she got caught up in some plagiarism scandal and went low-profile as she was suppose to be a regular on Running Man.

Ashhong said:
Just going by the recent music show winners off the top of my head..

IU - Good Day
TVXQ - Keep Your Head Down
Secret - Shy Boy
SNSD - Hoot

Other hits:
T-ara - Yayaya
Kara - Jumping
G-Dragon & TOP - Knockout

I'm missing so many..

Was reminded by a lurker of this post by Peru, though the list is of 2010 as a whole and the order is way wrong.

Strangely enough, Hyun Bin singing "That Man" from the Secret Garden soundtrack has been dominating lately.

Ashhong

AbortedWalrusFetus said:
Strangely enough, Hyun Bin singing "That Man" from the Secret Garden soundtrack has been dominating lately.

Hm, didn't realize that was him singing that. Then, was it Ji Won singing "That Woman"?

Maybe Tiffany and Sunny singing "I Can't" will get more popular and eventually see an official release? I can only hope...

Peru

Yoo Jaesuk makes every show watchable, but Lee Hyori is without a doubt one of the greatest tv co-hosts in Korea, even if she hasn't done much hosting. That entire original Family Outing crew had the most amazing chemistry and comedic timing, though, I would say it's one of the great variety shows of any time and country.

A, what a beautiful list. Would've added some more tracks by now, though.

Fafnir

Peru said:
Yoo Jaesuk makes every show watchable, but Lee Hyori is without a doubt one of the greatest tv co-hosts in Korea, even if she hasn't done much hosting. That entire original Family Outing crew had the most amazing chemistry and comedic timing, though, I would say it's one of the great variety shows of any time and country.

Yeah the chemistry was amazing with FO. Game Devil, the Elder, Savage-Yejin, Clumsy Chunhee, and Dumb&Dumber brothers...everyone had a great concept/character. We can still see Jong-Kook bully people in Running Man, but I miss Hyori bullying him back, it would have been great to have seen that continue in Running Man. I still have to watch the last FO episodes but been putting it off because I don't want the series to end for me lol

Nice avatar panda21 LOL

Peru

Yeah... Running Man has improved lately because they don't do so much running anymore (ie they have time for some more stimulating activities) and the cast is getting into some 'family'-like roles.

Sealda

Banned
The latest WGM with Khun and Vic is just awkwardly funny...

Vic has set up to surprise Nickchun backstage. Part of the badly planned surprise, is that she will video film Khun during 2AMs performance. After the performance she recruits Minho from Shinee to show Khun the video and tell him that a fan/woman video recorded it and that he needs to see the clip! The awkward thing is that 2AM are in the middle of what they believe is a tv-interview in their dressing room. Very seriously, they are answering questions when Minho from nowhere comes in and eventually goes in front of the camera trying to get Khun to see the video. The faces of the 2AM guys are hilarious as they think Minho is ruining their interview to show Khun a stupid shaky video film of his performance 10 mins ago...Afterwards the rest of the band are pissed to know that their deep interview was a fake one! It gets even more hilarious because their make up make em look like ...overly serious masculine.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xgoqp7_rmsub-com-nv3022sub_shortfilms#from=embed

EDIT:

Some crazy rumors frome die hard fans of 2AM here http://www.dkpopnews.net/2010/03/rumor-2pms-dirty-little-secrets-by.html

I would say 50 % of them are true. Most of them are really random but basically, everyone have fans/one night stands/gfs they fuck. Taec seems to be the worst asshole of them. Kwon+Khun are the nicest and supported Jay the most. Khun smokes. Bla bla bla.That site is full of "secrets" fans found out by stalking their idol.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
Dice said:
Does that make it clearer? If we keep the atmosphere here focused on the music instead of "OMG SHE IS SO CUTE!" and "IKRITE? LOOK AT THIS ONE TOO!" then it won't matter if that still remains as an undertone.

That's what I suggested in the early stages of that thread, but noooooo nobody listened. You guys deserve to have it closed and are lucky it lasted this long. And please don't bring that garbage into this thread.

I've been so busy that I completely missed the whole Kara controversy! My favorite part about Kpop culture is the dramatic overreaction that fanatics have to everything. However, while it's fantastic to read their teary posts online, Kpop diehards in real life are so annoying when they get overzealous with the fandom.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Aruarian Reflection said:
That's what I suggested in the early stages of that thread, but noooooo nobody listened.
Yes they did, hence this thread.

You guys deserve to have it closed and are lucky it lasted this long. And please don't bring that garbage into this thread.
Talking down doesn't make friends. You do realize that this thread is/will be 95% people from that thread, right? I'll give you a pass on this comment.

Edit: LOL @ the IU Star Wars video.

panda21 said:
oh god that dogstacle course looks awesome... time to start watching family outing

I just laughed at your avatar for about 10 minutes.

And I didn't realise that GD&TOP wre releasing Vol.1 in Japanese - so I'm kinda hoping they go down the 'English-rather-than-Japanese-route'.

Ashhong

Aruarian Reflection said:
That's what I suggested in the early stages of that thread, but noooooo nobody listened. You guys deserve to have it closed and are lucky it lasted this long. And please don't bring that garbage into this thread.

I've been so busy that I completely missed the whole Kara controversy! My favorite part about Kpop culture is the dramatic overreaction that fanatics have to everything. However, while it's fantastic to read their teary posts online, Kpop diehards in real life are so annoying when they get overzealous with the fandom.

Wrong. I don't want to get into it too much for fear of a mod lockdown (dont want a repeat of the big banning and stuff that happened last year) but we clearly stayed within the rules of any "Hot girls thread". Those only got banned because they brought in material that was too risque. We kept it clean with a mix of pictures and discussion.

That being said...may this thread live on forever. I wish we could get a title change. Maybe even just adding something like Culture to the thread would be better. K-Pop Culture Thread?

edit: Who else watches Dream High? I just caught up to episode 7, which hasnt been released yet. Decent stuff, although it's really making me hate Eunjung from T-ara. IU in a fat suit is too cute

edit2: Why is the "Seductive Girl" thread still up? Has anybody kindly asked the mods what we did wrong and how we can prevent it from happening again? I'm really curious...

Fafnir

Ashhong said:
Who else watches Dream High? I just caught up to episode 7, which hasnt been released yet. Decent stuff, although it's really making me hate Eunjung from T-ara. IU in a fat suit is too cute
I get KBS World on cable so I'm waiting for Dream High to come on so I can DVR it. I read that Eunjung does such a good job acting evil that she's getting hate by the antis in real life LOL...

Sealda said:
It's for 2PM and I wouldn't believe any of those rumors as it came from the crazy mind of a period-blood stalker fan who warped it to their own reality.

I read this translation from SuJu's Heechul's twitter when he goes on a rant about the internet antis/trolls and think it applies here to the haters:

Super Junior Heechul said:
Don’t go running around acting as if you’re a representative of the public.

In the time you’re spending in bringing down others, have you ever thought of being filial towards your parents? Instead of lighting fires in your eyes, turn on the lamp in your room and think about your future. I suppose I’m childish for arguing with the people who are taking a dump on me… All of you, if you’re going to take a dump on something, go do it in your own bathrooms.

And all of you dogs who run around with eyes red in search of something to rip apart. It’s obvious you guys are lacking something, which is why you run around like crazy fools, exaggerating every little thing… Realize that just because you are part of the public does not mean you are embody the society as a whole.

Stop being miserable trolls and try to find some happiness.

br3Fd.gif
R17mY.gif

Ashhong

Fafnir said:
I get KBS World on cable so I'm waiting for Dream High to come on so I can DVR it. I read that Eunjung does such a good job acting evil that she's getting hate by the antis in real life LOL...

I knew it, I called that to myself as I watched it. She's probably GAINING antis because of this role. I'm almost an anti myself lol. She is seriously easy to hate.

Loved watching Hyomin do that dance. Eunjung coming to her rescue and making her stop was hilarious, though I really wanted to see more of that dance.

Hyomin is so sad on variety shows...makes it really hard to watch her.

Does anyone have links to a dubbed version of the first season of Family Outing? I remember it was on Youtube before it got pulled.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
pharmboy044 said:
Does anyone have links to a dubbed version of the first season of Family Outing? I remember it was on Youtube before it got pulled.

I sincerely hope you meant to say subbed version. I used to get Family Outing episodes off Clubbox, but I've been out of that scene for awhile and can't point you to any good accounts offhand. A google search for streaming Family Outing brings me this which seems legit http://www.kshownow.net/2011/01/family-outing-season-1-episodes-1-to-85.html

Sealda

Banned
viewimagees.jpg

Cheers, [Im not a huge SNSD fan but i like their first album with songs like SNSD, Honey and Merry Go Round. Anyhow, gotta support this thread:)]

Dice

Kara demands set on the table, some vital info finally revealed:

The three members of KARA have finally revealed their demands in their contract adjustments with DSP Media, with the two main points being to shorten the contract time and having a modification in the board of directors.

With the three members having a contract that still lasts another 3-4 years, the trio has demanded their contracts be shortened to July of 2012 instead, as they would like to end their contract at the same time their contract with Universal Japan ends. They have also requested a more professional management team, as well as a transparent accounting system.

In addition, the three have requested for the resignation of the wife of CEO Lee Ho Yeon, who had been his replacement since last year after he fell into a coma. The trio would also like for a new system, whereby their legal representative could participate in the group’s accounting and contract audits.

It was later announced that DSP Media would agree to only partially meet their demands. A representative stated, “Isn’t demanding a shortening of their contract and a change in directors a bit too much? For reinforcing the management team and making a transparent accounting and contract system, if the members are willing to come back and discuss further, then there are possibilities that they can be partially accepted.”
He was in a coma?! Seriously, how could they let his wife with zero experience take over?

Peru

There's no chance they will get all those demands through, but I like that they go in hard. If they're able to get more transparency on the financial side that'd be a great step in the right direction.. I'm not sure how DSP views the length of contracts, though, or the wording of those demands. Are they saying that if they get shorter contracts, they will definitely quit the company in 2012? If so, I'm guessing DSP will not be easy to convince.

Dice

This is interesting:

According to information that was confirmed by TV report, the registration to trademark the name of KARA from DSP can hardly be accepted. The reason is because they do not have parental consent from the member Kang Jiyoung, inherently still a minor. Under Korean law, those related to minors must be approved by the minors’ legal representatives. That means if Jiyoung’s family does not approve this, the members can still use the name KARA even when they separate from DSP.
DSP "Like stealing a trademark from a bab-*hand gets slapped* "No." -Korean government

AbortedWalrusFetus said:
The beat Diplo did for the song is truly amazing.

Hope you don't mind, but I'm bringing the music talk here so that the SNSD thread can, hopefully, actually feature some SNSD in it.

But yeah, GD&TOP are probably my favourite thing going atm. I think they're releasing their MV's for 'Jibe Gajima' (one of my favourites from the album) and 'Baby Good Night' sometime this week or at least I heard they were scheduled for the end of January anyways.

I'm hoping that at one point they'll do a special stage with Bom singing in 'Jibe Gajima', as she was planned to over being in 'Oh Yeah'.

CruxisMana said:
Hope you don't mind, but I'm bringing the music talk here so that the SNSD thread can, hopefully, actually feature some SNSD in it.

But yeah, GD&TOP are probably my favourite thing going atm. I think they're releasing their MV's for 'Jibe Gajima' (one of my favourites from the album) and 'Baby Good Night' sometime this week or at least I heard they were scheduled for the end of January anyways.

I'm hoping that at one point they'll do a special stage with Bom singing in 'Jibe Gajima', as she was planned to over being in 'Oh Yeah'.

Understandable, I was just trying to steer the conversation away from trolls and at least SOMEWHAT back on topic. I tend not to listen to any sort of rap at all, but I am a huge diplo fan. The only rap I really listen to is Kid CuDi.

Has diplo produced for any other korean artists?

Peru

No, he hasn't. He recently wrote a blog post about it, and said he didn't realize how big Big Bang were. He met some k-pop people while DJ'ing in Seoul. Anyway, he expressed his love for 2NE1 and I really would like if he was added as a producer to their English album, because I thnk they could work with a beat of his just as well as the boys.

Peru said:
No, he hasn't. He recently wrote a blog post about it, and said he didn't realize how big Big Bang were. He met some k-pop people while DJ'ing in Seoul. Anyway, he expressed his love for 2NE1 and I really would like if he was added as a producer to their English album, because I thnk they could work with a beat of his just as well as the boys.

I'm not really a big fan of 2NE1. Too much auto-tune and not enough vocal quality imo. They almost seem like a generic R&B group some times. They are more in line with his style of music though.

Ashhong

AbortedWalrusFetus said:
I'm not really a big fan of 2NE1. Too much auto-tune and not enough vocal quality imo. They almost seem like a generic R&B group some times. They are more in line with his style of music though.

Pretty much how I see them as well. They have a few good songs here and there.

Park Jung Min - Not Alone is fantastic. I am a sucker for strings and this song does it for me. So awesome when the beat comes in. Song bumps in the car too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9c3C0RBiyPE&feature=related

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom