• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KPop-GAF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peru

They also did a ludicrous two man version of Gee with 'help' from the host and the other guest http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvBM--05vHc

Diplo adds his two rambling cents about k-pop on his blog

i went to seoul to DJ last year for the first time.. i dont even remember how I met any of the Kpop crew.. but some one i got in touch with someone..

¨i was a super fan of 2NE1.. those girls are killing it.. people dont know that Kpop sort of runs all of asia and now Japan is the main market for these artists.. but everyone of these guys have proper korean and english skills.. so my beat was for some kids in the Kpop crew.. One of the biggest groups is BIG BANG. the sort ot nkotb/jayz/mileycyrus and justin beiber all mixed into one act...
GD and TOP are the main rappers that go in for verse 3 in every big bang song... but u can tell from GD and TOP.. they are rapper rappers.. not phony.. the have crazy flow
they wear tiny pants on top of tanks talkin about Swag.. these are my favorite new rappers.. so i didnt realize they were a big deal. its just a beat i sent over a couple months back and then the youtube hit and got @mil views in 2 weeks.. kinda swag.. the styling is sooooo much better then US rap its really sad. anyway im moving to Korea now.

Peru

Might have to check that album out. Only listened to the (pretty catchy if I recall correctly) singles before.

Looking all over for album credits for Navi's album, at least I've found out that she composed and did lyrics for the wonderful 1st track, which I've already linked to, and the third, which you can listen to here and is quite awesome indeed.

Oh and Orange Caramel did a follow-up promotion on Music Bank today with a track written and composed by Raina. It's OK, not really my kind of thing, but nice to see more active involvement from idols in their music anyway. Still, it's funny that Orange Caramel was chosen as the vehicle for her artistic expression... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b01r5s0_YFI

Peru

They'll probably do some Japanese promotion before they release a new Korean song. Hoot promotion was finished not along ago and I don't think we'll see a new mini-album in the coming months.

Peru said:
They'll probably do some Japanese promotion before they release a new Korean song. Hoot promotion was finished not along ago and I don't think we'll see a new mini-album in the coming months.

FUUUUUUUUUU.....
: (

Salazar

Peru said:
Might have to check that album out. Only listened to the (pretty catchy if I recall correctly) singles before.

The female vocal on "Little Sunshine" is just superb. It won't get out of my head.

Edit: Jung In, from Groove Flamingo, apparently.

suzu

Peru said:
Diplo adds his two rambling cents about k-pop on his blog

lol one sentence stream of thought. He must have been high (high!). :p I'd like to see him do more stuff with YG artists.

Salazar said:
Can't stop listing to Mong's Humanimal.

Need his other records. Man is a champ.

MC Mong is pretty awesome. Sad to hear about his problems though. I wonder if or when he'll ever make a comeback.

Salazar

suzu said:
MC Mong is pretty awesome. Sad to hear about his problems though. I wonder if or when he'll ever make a comeback.

Just bought His Story.

http://www.allkpop.com/2011/01/core-contents-ceo-wants-the-kara-members-gone

The recent Kara controversy has many people upset, not only the fans but also many people who work in the industry. Mr. Kim Kwang Soo, the CEO of Core Contents Media who produced many famous groups such as T-ara, Seeya, Jo Sungmo, and SG Wannabe, raised his voice of concern much higher than others; he wants Seungyeon, Nicole and Jiyoung out of the industry… permanently.

In a phone interview with Daily Sports, he stated, “I asked the Korean Entertainment Producers Association (KEPA) to take heavy measures against Kara. I believe that if the three members left the group to join another management company, then they should not be allowed to come back to music industry in the future. All 300 members of the association must stop the three members from breaking Kara up.”

He continued, “It must have taken a great deal of the company’s passion and love to get the group up to their current level, and it breaks my heart to see it all crumbled overnight. If the quality of management was the problem, then they should get back with the company and solve it through discussions. They could also ask KEPA to intervene. Simply leaving the group like they did doesn’t solve any problems, it just creates more.”

He finished by saying, “Many artists and producers that were seniors to them spent a lot of time and effort to create a market for Korean music in Japan. Kara made all those efforts by them turn into nothing by carelessly stopping their Japanese promotions. The members must have gone through a tough time, there is no doubt; but I still hope that they would first go back to the company and then solve the problem.”

Mr. Kim is a big name in the Korean music industry, and seeing him speak out at this level shows that the management companies are quite upset, and at the same time, nervous about this fiasco. This must especially be the case as this is the second time that a major idol group has gone through something like this recently. Perhaps the CEOs want to set an example to other idol members who dream of such rebellion… but at the cost of DSP’s most valuable grou

Wat.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Kim Kwang Soo needs to mind his own business. He's proven himself loony on more than a few occasions and is one of the worst offenders when it comes to overworking idols. He also happened to let Nam Gyuri bail out of SeeYa without any good reason and no warning whatsoever at a very important time for the group and get away scot-free, THEN come back on a whim for their last album. He's being a hypocrite and meddling right in the middle of the most difficult time Kara has ever had. He seriously needs to just shut his crazy mouth.

If you couldn't tell, I don't like that guy for a few reasons, and it has been some time.

Salazar

suzu said:
Power tripping fool probably trying to scare other idols from doing anything similar.

I wish someone would publicly tear him up.

The track-list for Mong's His Story is genius.

The intro is all gangsta, and the first track is crooning saranghae this, saranghae that.

panda21

i really dig 2pm now

but all their songs i can't help but imagine hearing them saying 'girl, i want to...'/'girl, let me...'/'girl, i want to get inside you' etc in a smooth voice over the intro, and it makes me laugh. its so cheesy <3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUgReo37ECw&feature=channel

2am seems like a much better name but they dont seem to be that good. 2pm just sounds like a lame time on a sunday afternoon.

Peru

(Slightly off-topic, but..) I just watched the first episode of 'Jungle Fish 2', the 8-part KBS teen drama... Why have no one told me about this before? I didn't know they made K-dramas like this: Free of ridiculous over-acting, tacky imagery, soap cliches... I mean, this is dramatically and totally different from any other Korean TV drama I've seen. It's got a style and a purpose and even some edge. Do other series like this exist?

To make it on-topic, Kim Yeo Hee (aka 'Applegirl') made this beautiful song for the soundtrack http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLOJGt9Kk34

Dice

Are we talking about dramas now, too? I guess it all sort of melds together...

I've been watching Secret Garden. It starts off seeming like a Cinderella show but then you realize it's going at movie pace but it's a series so something must be up, and yes, on the 5th episode things... change. Aside from being hilarious and interesting, it has a lot to say regarding perceptions and attitudes between social classes. Quality show.

Edit: lol the richest man in Japan is rooting for Kara to stay together: http://twitter.com/masason

Ashhong

Dice said:
Are we talking about dramas now, too? I guess it all sort of melds together...

I've been watching Secret Garden. It starts off seeming like a Cinderella show but then you realize it's going at movie pace but it's a series so something must be up, and yes, on the 5th episode things... change. Aside from being hilarious and interesting, it has a lot to say regarding perceptions and attitudes between social classes. Quality show.

Edit: lol the richest man in Japan is rooting for Kara to stay together: http://twitter.com/masason

This is an uncanny post. I posted a similar thing in the SNSD thread, not knowing which one to post in haha

Peru

Secret Garden is a funny show (on episode 10), but Jungle Fish 2 is on another level. Literally. It's so different from the directing and editing of any other k-drama.

Ashhong

That Tiffany and Sunny version of "I Can't" is just so damn good. I would pay good money for that to be professionally recorded. I have hopes that SM will see the good reception it got and put out a cover.

Peru

Ashhong said:
That Tiffany and Sunny version of "I Can't" is just so damn good. I would pay good money for that to be professionally recorded. I have hopes that SM will see the good reception it got and put out a cover.

"We were so nervous"
"Really nervous"
"REALLY nervous"

hah

Salazar

http://www.allkpop.com/2011/01/core-contents-media-ceo-orders-boycott-of-the-ypa-due-to-kara-conflict

The CEO of Core Contents Media, Kim Kwang Su, expressed his displeasure with the Young Producers’ Association (YPA) due to their support of the three KARA members.

The YPA had made an official statement on January 23rd, which criticized the tactics of DSP Media and made it clear that they were standing with the members’ decision to stand against their agency.

In an interview with Star News on the 24th, Kim retorted, “The statement made by YPA glosses over the stances of the majority of producers. Because of their statement, I have ordered an immediate halt on the distribution of dramas, movie OSTs, and digital services of our artists on all digital music sites related to the YPA.”

Kim continued, “I have sent an official document to Loen and Mnet to take down our artists’ songs. The YPA has lost their ground, and even if my decision is not regarded favorably, such strong actions are needed as a veteran of the industry.

Aaaaaaaargh, what a dick.

Dice

Salazar said:
Aaaaaaaargh, what a dick.
He knows that he overworks T-ara and is afraid they will wise up.

BTW this is the actual statement he is flipping out over:

“DSP Media’s failure to reveal clear balance statements and contract documents resulted in a broken trust, and consequently, this dispute. This issue is vastly different from that of TVXQ’s.

The other entertainment agencies which house idol groups (this includes SM Entertainment) all provide receipts and balance statements to the parents, who act as the singers’ legal representatives. This is a request that is within the singers’ rights, but it’s also the duty of the company to ensure that they provide clear and transparent contract documents.

The contract that has been used by DSP Media thus far has been followed without recognition by the members or their parents. Although they repeatedly made requests to see balance statements and information regarding their contracts, their requests were ignored. DSP Media seems intent on obsessing over the fact that the members filed a one-sided contract termination notice instead.

They’re extremely selfish in their claim, as they have been arguing that the issue comes from the greed of the members and their parents, when the issue actually stems from the company. They have attempted to drive the idea of KARA being immoral singers with the help of the Korea Entertainment Producers’ Association [KEPA] and other production companies, who only seek the protection of their own rights. By using issues that have nothing to do with the controversy, such as the competitor who attempted to lure KARA away from their agency, DSP Media is shading the public’s eyes to the real heart of the problem.

The five members of KARA remaining together is definite. All it requires is for the company to reveal all of the requested documents as transparently as possible. Should there be no problem in those documents, a proper apology and make-up should follow.

The international growth of the Korean music industry relies heavily on the competition within the country. It is the duty of production companies to eradicate wrong customs in order to create fair and transparent systems to further fuel the competitions.“

Edit: I'm just going to count that other thread being closed as a win for xenophobia. What a beautiful culture we have here in the west.

Askia47

The SNSD creepy thread closed :(. I guess this is where the discussion will continue. That new Intel Song/Dance was kinda interesting but a bit too simple.

Dice

I'd keep it to music discussion in here. Apparently we aren't allowed to like girls.

What the fuck? Why did the other thread get closed? There was no trolling, all conversation was on topic, and in general it was a good time. Did Shouta even give a reason?

Edit:
There wasn't even much questionable material. Every time nodle posted fan service he got yelled at for it. Is there away to appeal something like this?

Deadly

Askia47 said:
The SNSD creepy thread closed :(. I guess this is where the discussion will continue. That new Intel Song/Dance was kinda interesting but a bit too simple.
Yeah what a bummer =( Our thread was way more tame than the other creepy thread too

Dice

Well sometimes things are mysterious around here. There are often ruling choices made beyond the few solid rules, so you just have to take things in a general sense based on trends. Insofar as trends go, I guess girl pic threads are out, even if you don't get very risque. If I were to take a guess, I'd say it's because people who have no sense of self control or discernment of appropriate content are jealous and make a fuss in PMs when others who keep things moderate get to keep their threads. Sometimes basic peace needs to rule over rationality, and even if it was a straight case of racists finding it creepy, I wouldn't turn this thread into a whine fest about it unless you want to lose it as well.

Dice said:
Well sometimes things are mysterious around here. There are no solid rules, you just have to take things in a general sense based on trends. Insofar as trends go, I guess girl pic threads are out, even if you don't get very risque. If I were to take a guess, I'd say it's because people who have no sense of self control or discernment of appropriate content are jealous and make a fuss in PMs when others who keep things moderate get to keep their threads. Sometimes basic peace needs to rule over rationality, and even if it was a straight case of racists finding it creepy, I wouldn't turn this thread into a whine fest about it unless you want to lose it as well.

You're right. It's mostly just disbelief. But if we're not allowed to post pictures, are we allowed to post youtube links with the same content? Where is the line and how do we not cross it? Also, how do you talk about pop music and not discuss the visual imagery? It's like talking about Lady Gaga and not mentioning her costumes. It's half the appeal.

Canova

Banned
PM Shouta and Evilore. Explain clearly and politely that
- those girls aren't underage
- there are no explicit/NSFW material

ask them if you could make SNSD OT instead

Dice

AbortedWalrusFetus said:
You're right. It's mostly just disbelief. But if we're not allowed to post pictures, are we allowed to post youtube links with the same content? Where is the line and how do we not cross it? Also, how do you talk about pop music and not discuss the visual imagery? It's like talking about Lady Gaga and not mentioning her costumes. It's half the appeal.
I don't think it is about a line you cross as an individual poster so much as it is about the intellectual momentum of a topic. We did talk about stuff in the other thread a bit, but honestly it was mostly just spazzing over cute girls.

*goes into GAF-Vet mode*
As I hinted at with my other post, I assume they want more from us, more focus on discussion. Why? If you give one group a shallow girl-loving thread and deny another group the same, they cry injustice. If you tell them it is because they have no self control, they will respond saying it was just a few posters and why not ban the individuals and leave the thread up.

Thing is, it's a pain in the ass to continually watch for individuals, and when you get into micromanagement like that things turn into the age-old censorship double standards debate. Why were the banned guy's pictures bad and those such-and-such posted okay? It's tedious and a waste of modding energy when you can just promote deeper discussion by blocking all roads that run by the slippery slope.

Does that make it clearer? If we keep the atmosphere here focused on the music instead of "OMG SHE IS SO CUTE!" and "IKRITE? LOOK AT THIS ONE TOO!" then it won't matter if that still remains as an undertone.

tl;dr version: Immoderate assholes ruin all the fun for more sensible individuals. Welcome to life.

Dice said:
I don't think it is about a line you cross as an individual poster so much as it is about the intellectual momentum of a topic. We did talk about stuff in the other thread a bit, but honestly it was mostly just spazzing over cute girls.

*goes into GAF-Vet mode*
As I hinted at with my other post, I assume they want more from us, more focus on discussion. Why? If you give one group a shallow girl-loving thread and deny another group the same, they cry injustice. If you tell them it is because they have no self control, they will respond saying it was just a few posters and why not ban the individuals and leave the thread up.

Thing is, it's a pain in the ass to continually watch for individuals, and when you get into micromanagement like that things turn into the age-old censorship double standards debate. Why were the banned guy's pictures bad and those such-and-such posted okay? It's tedious and a waste of modding energy when you can just promote deeper discussion by blocking all roads that run by the slippery slope.

Does that make it clearer? If we keep the atmosphere here focused on the music instead of "OMG SHE IS SO CUTE!" and "IKRITE? LOOK AT THIS ONE TOO!" then it won't matter if that still remains as an undertone.

Nothing we can do regardless. We should just have a korean culture thread so I can talk about Dramas then. I'd rather talk that than music :p

Dice

I see no reason why "pop" can't stand for pop culture in general. Let's just open up the thread to that as well since a few people seem to like dramas.

panda21

tbh i'm more interested in talking about variety/reality shows than the pictures anyway, which i think we pretty much did to death by now.

we've all gone much much deeper down the rabbit hole since that era of the thread anyway so hello baby/running man/kdrama/kpop/language etc talk is what i'm more interested in at this point, its not like this is the only place to find pictures of them on the internet, although taengoo gifs are so hard not to want to share.

i was considering starting a korean variety show thread when the other one got locked but i'm not sure if its worth it, but we definitely should have a place to talk about that stuff. and not just snsd because t-ara hello baby/dream girls etc are awesome as well.

salazar on suicide watch

Did anyone other than me watch Secret Garden? My wife is so upset that Hyeon Bin decided to join the Marines. I am a little confused as to whether or not this is for the fulfillment of his mandatory service, or if he is voluntarily joining. I gather that it's for his mandatory service, but it seems like it's a bit later than is usual for someone to go for it. Does this essentially mean no more film for him for two years?

Ashhong

AbortedWalrusFetus said:
Did anyone other than me watch Secret Garden? My wife is so upset that Hyeon Bin decided to join the Marines. I am a little confused as to whether or not this is for the fulfillment of his mandatory service, or if he is voluntarily joining. I gather that it's for his mandatory service, but it seems like it's a bit later than is usual for someone to go for it. Does this essentially mean no more film for him for two years?

I just finished it last night. Great show. Famous people usually delay their service for a bit, I'm guessing he couldn't do it any longer. And yea, he won't be doing any acting during that time, unless he wants to on vacation, which would be ridiculous.

Ashhong said:
I just finished it last night. Great show. Famous people usually delay their service for a bit, I'm guessing he couldn't do it any longer. And yea, he won't be doing any acting during that time, unless he wants to on vacation, which would be ridiculous.

I was a bit surprised that
the director didn't hook up with Woo Young's sister
at the end. They sort of built up the interest and then left it completely alone. I think the fact that Son Ye-jin (she is adorable, loved her in Alone in Love) did a cameo sort of changed their plan there.

Did you catch the interview special? I wasn't sure if it had been subbed yet, but my wife is begging me to find out. She also wants me to find her another drama to watch. I was thinking about "My Girlfriend is a Gumiho", but it seems like it's geared to younger audiences. We tend to prefer dramas where the cast of characters is more mature (ie 30 year olds, not 20 year old kids).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom