• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KPop-GAF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peru

I like 'Visual Dreams' a lot more than the teaser would suggest. Yes, it's a bit on the similar side to Showx3, but Show wasn't bad either. Love it when Jessica breaks up the cut-up-ness with "myyyy love", and the bridge is just awesome.

Ashhong

panda21 said:
i'm digging 2pm's heartbeat a lot

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKtvDv7eykg

some serious bassline in it

also it has the 'listen to my heartbeat' line that taeyeon copies in it :lol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=NtglgH-6OXQ#t=75s

oh and apparently 4minute are releasing a full album in February/March :D diamond is incredible, can't wait

I prefer the official remix, but the original is good too. The bass in the chorus is ridiculous lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWltjRt_LYw

This part from that video you linked is so cute

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtglgH-6OXQ&feature=player_detailpage#t=117s

Peru

Navi's 1st Album is a great collection of rnb ballads. And we're talking engaging rnb balladry, not life-sucking OST ballads which clog up the k-pop chart. Great voice, too.

Shockingly, it's a full album! What luxury!

kbnd-004551_b.jpg

With rap guest spots from famous faces like Crown J, HyunA, etc.

Get it!

Oh and here's the MV for the single http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10Yw_r1z3iE
I'd say the stuff on the album in general is a bit more rnb'y. But this single is great as well.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
You guys got some recommendations regarding good KPop internet radio stations? Obviously, I like upbeat stuff, so a station with such a bias would be nice to know. Thx.

(Edit: Currently listening to Korean Wave on Shoutcast, that's kind of okay, I suppose)

Peru

Salazar

many are expecting a variety of different issues to stem from this lawsuit.

Goo-Hara's variety show antics would be missed.

On the upside, maybe their new company will distribute to iTunes.

Ashhong

broadwayrock said:
Wow big news...

Seungyeon, Nicole, Hara, & Jiyoung from Kara have split from their company DSP media, but Gyuri is staying. Looks like they were really overworked.

http://www.allkpop.com/2011/01/karas-seungyeon-nicole-hara-jiyoung-to-split-from-dsp-media

DSP will have to survive on SS501 and Rainbow.

say WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT

it always did seem like Gyuri could do a solo act though. Don't they have contracts and crap? I guess thats where the lawsuits come in. I wonder where they will go...SM should get on that.

Peru

Holy shit this is so huuuge. They're doing it at their peak as a powerful group, as well, with platinum sales in Japan. I have ZERO doubts that their complaints are valid and I hope they take down DSP on their way out the door.

Ashhong

Peru said:
this is just too beautiful http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0etgfpofH_U

...and this one is perhaps the 'modern' you're looking for, ie there are some synths there (feat the tiniest Hyuna cameo) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGOc6bL3cb0

...here's one that's more wholeheartedly rnb than the single http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPj_fxUYNiI

Hmm not bad. Not up to the levels of my favorite ballads but worth a listen nonetheless. Thanks

Didn't KARA just start a show in Japan?

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Hahahaha, completely unexpected but I love it. Pulling a DBSK.

Idols need to stand up for themselves and it's obvious how far they had been pushed hopping between Korea and Japan so much.

Dice

Found this on forums:

New column (not article - note the difference) that lists out the reason why the four members are separating:

1. Album revenue distribution
Basically the four are saying that the distribution of revenue is not fair. Kara as a group made 18,000,000,000 KRW in Japan (Around $16M USD?) but each individual member received 3,000,000 KRW (Around $2700 USD) for their Japan activities.

According to DSP, that's because of the contract with Universal Music Japan. 85% goes to UMJ, and 15% goes to DSP, according to them.

2. New entertainment label will pay for contract termination penalties
Apparently an entertainment label has come forth to the parents of the four saying that they will pay for the termination penalties. Apparently this was first brought forth to Gyuri's mother but she rejected saying she and Gyuri could not betray DSP after all that they've done for them.

DSP has stated that they have showed the four mothers the terms of the contract with the four members and as well with UMJ and as well the audited financial statements. The four mothers even brought their own auditor to check the financial statements on DSP's books and the auditor stated that it checked out. However, the four mothers were still dissatisfied

3. (Not really a reason but more so a point for the future) Negotiations and Arbitration seems to be difficult
Since the four members have filed a contract termination with DSP, the arbitration between two parties will be a long and arduous process. Especially concerning advertisement/CF contracts. Since they cannot promote the brand as KARA, they will likely have to terminate those contracts. However, termination penalties for those contracts are often 10 times the contract agreement. Because of this, those in-the-know of the situation expect a long and grueling battle between the two parties.

Take it with a grain of salt. This is from the side of someone in contact with DSP Media and Gyuri's Mother who is a voice actress.

http://www.tvreport....sview&idx=88429
This is really strange. When it says their moms were "still dissatisfied" this makes it sound like DSP did something without everyone being in agreement. Either they signed with UMJ while the mothers disagreed, or they signed with UMJ without the mothers knowing all the terms of the agreement and only showed them later.

Talking to Gyuri's mom but not Gyuri (she sounded really dumbstruck) seems a bit shady, but a lot of idols let their parents handle legal stuff so they can have less stress. With that in min, I suppose I can understand how it ended up happening this way. Assuming she's not some ranging bitch that the others secretly hate, it seems really unfortunate for her up to this point.

Gyuri is the leader, so she is the one who would have been stuck telling the girls to just shut up and comply with what DSP was asking of them at any given time. They probably figured if they talked with her before it was serious, she'd just do it out of habit. If they had been fighting with DSP for two months, obviously DSP wouldn't let Gyuri know lest she side with the four. Now she wants to talk to the other four, and it seems will have to come to grips with the choices of her own mother, which she just went along with in trust before.

However, if I am right about this, I think Gyuri will end up joining them. But, since this is the internet, someone made this:

xWXYp.png

Dice

On the other side of this, I'm concerned for Rainbow now. DSP has to make money somehow, so it seems like they'll be pulling double duty.

Dice

Ashhong said:
Speaking of Rainbow, are their other songs any good? I only have A, which I like.
I like them.

Of course, they are enhanced by watching the girls when you hear them:
http://www.youtube.com/user/KstarFancam#grid/user/45AB717F25319555

The ones from 101029 and 101112 are best. Though, I don't think I Believe is there and I really like that song.

Hottest girl group. Easily.

Edit: My sources say "Gyul's dad said that Gyul's mom cannot contact Gyul or any of the girls right now"

Interesting! I love kpop drama.

Edit 2: Coming over the twitter line...

"GYURI has spoken up to say that she believes it's best for KARA to stay together and that she will protect KARA until the end." —Star News

I called it.

panda21

OMG

and i was like 4 posts away from the subs section of karaholic

GOD DAMN IT

hope they get this sorted soon, Kara's albums are the best and Hara is <3 :(

Ashhong

panda21 said:
OMG

and i was like 4 posts away from the subs section of karaholic

GOD DAMN IT

hope they get this sorted soon, Kara's albums are the best and Hara is <3 :(

LOL

Doesn't look like any sorting will happen. Kara is out of DSP. It will be a while I think before they can make a comeback on a new label, with or without Gyuri.

panda21

OMG

OMG

D:

TEH DRAMA

edit:

it just occured to me, i dont think Hara can be represented by her parents because she only has her grandmother. i hope she knows what shes doing

but if they were all going to leave to go to another company without Gyuri, they can't really do that without Hara as well, because she is the best one by a mile. the other 3 are basically boned without her so i reckon they will have to back down too, or at least just threaten to break up Kara to argue for better terms with DSP, rather than actually leaving.

Recently got into KPop through SNSD. And now I've been slowly making my way through this thread and checking out a bunch of suggested songs/groups. I don't understand Korean, but a lot of the music is catchy (and the girls are hot too). But now my friends are starting to think
know
I'm weird/creepy for being into this stuff.

Peru

Oh man oh man TVXQ again down to the details. I just wish all five of them were in on this, then I would be totally happy about the procedings.

Dice

panda21 said:
it just occured to me, i dont think Hara can be represented by her parents because she only has her grandmother. i hope she knows what shes doing
but if they were all going to leave to go to another company without Gyuri, they can't really do that without Hara as well, because she is the best one by a mile. the other 3 are basically boned without her so i reckon they will have to back down too, or at least just threaten to break up Kara to argue for better terms with DSP, rather than actually leaving.
Yeah, but then Gyuri and Hara are a mismatched duo. I wonder how much of this are the parents of the other girls. There is a rumor that Gyuri's dad is a shareholder for DSP, but I don't know what kind of backing there is to that. Some others are speculating that Nicole's parents will be more stubborn because they're American so the compensation for her work seems all the more ludicrous to them.

BentMyWookiee said:
Recently got into KPop through SNSD. And now I've been slowly making my way through this thread and checking out a bunch of suggested songs/groups. I don't understand Korean, but a lot of the music is catchy (and the girls are hot too). But now my friends are starting to think
know
I'm weird/creepy for being into this stuff.
Sorry bro, but your friends are xenophobic assholes. If we shunned everything that was unfamiliar we would never do anything in life except perhaps go to war, but if we venture out into the world embracing humanity in the different forms and expressions we find it, the world will be a far better place. Wisdom and an open heart may be out of the ordinary, but they are not weird or creepy.

Peru said:
Oh man oh man TVXQ again down to the details. I just wish all five of them were in on this, then I would be totally happy about the procedings.
Yeah, it would be totally awkward if it ends up in a similar place, with the poor fans trying to support both those who leave and those who stay...

Salazar

panda21 said:
but if they were all going to leave to go to another company without Gyuri, they can't really do that without Hara as well, because she is the best one by a mile.

SNSD 10th MEMBER YOU KNOW IT'S AN AWESOME IDEA

panda21

Gyuri isn't appearing on the show she was supposed to be on tonight after all D:

In the latest development, it was revealed by MBC that Shindong will be hosting Shimshimtapa by himself on January 19th as Gyuri will be taking leave for tonight.

KARA will also skip the 20th Seoul Music Awards on January 20th.

maybe just because it would be awkward but you never know...

Ashhong

Man...this is just so crazy. I feel like I'm witnessing a historic event.

Could have sworn I read an article that said she would appear on all events still. Maybe its just too soon.

Dice

I think it's because it would be awkward and because they are all busy talking to each other right now.

suzu

Hmm, the KARA situation seems like it's becoming like TVXQ with the group being split 2v3.

--

In other news, SeungRi's (BIG BANG) solo album has leaked on youtube, etc~ gonna give it a listen.

Ashhong

So basically DSP split the Japan profits between the DSPkorea team and DSPjapan team, and then only gave KARA a percentage of the profits that the korea team received? Thats fucked up.

Dice

The other stuff is more interesting to me. The dude's wife ran the company with no experience? How did the executives/shareholders allow that to happen?

They tricked them with the Japan contracts? These girls probably have to sign something for every CF and photoshoot they do, so they just trust. If they really did trick them on something so huge, I can see how they figured things went to shit when the guy's wife took over. Apparently they have a lot of incidents to tell about, so we'll see what all comes out.

Obviously DSP is kinda screwed without Kara. Besides them, they only really have Rainbow, so they are desperate. The three seem really firm, leaving no room for negotiations, but I wonder if that is the typical line for something like this.

Dice

Veins said:
Why would Hara change her mind so quickly and without the others?
She was raised by her grandma, lived a rather humble life before she became a star. If things didn't work out according to plan and/or the other company didn't make good on the offer to cover fees, she'd have nothing. It's much easier to take this kind of risk when you have parents behind you. Maybe the no-negotiations tone I was talking about was too much for her. Either way, if the 3 leave and it ends Kara, and that ends up being a blow that DSP can't recover from, when the company folds she'll still be able to keep her advance and any earnings beyond it.

This sort of thing also gets more complex since your reputation down the road is important in later deals with other companies, which is probably more important to someone like Hara, who is well suited to modeling and entertainment functions other than music performance. She's good friends with Lee Hyori (who worked under DSP in one of the founding girl groups of kpop, Fin.K.L) and other industry vets, so they may have advised her to this route.

Ashhong

Dice said:
The other stuff is more interesting to me. The dude's wife ran the company with no experience? How did the executives/shareholders allow that to happen?

They tricked them with the Japan contracts? These girls probably have to sign something for every CF and photoshoot they do, so they just trust. If they really did trick them on something so huge, I can see how they figured things went to shit when the guy's wife took over. Apparently they have a lot of incidents to tell about, so we'll see what all comes out.

Obviously DSP is kinda screwed without Kara. Besides them, they only really have Rainbow, so they are desperate. The three seem really firm, leaving no room for negotiations, but I wonder if that is the typical line for something like this.

It's all equally interesting to me. I would think, that the wife ran the company with others under the impression that she is just the message man for her husband. This may have eventually evolved into her taking a bigger role in it.

The contract thing does seem pretty messed up if it's true. I hope this whole ordeal leads other groups to getting more of what they deserve though. Everybody needs to reexamine their contracts and paperwork.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom