• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KPop-GAF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peru

You say "귀여워" - kyeowo to just say "cute!", while 귀여운 would be "a cute _____", f ex 귀여운 아기, a cute baby.

Congrats to Secret, one of those groups more popular than the international fans know, methinks, happy for their award. Still hope they'll stick mostly to more in-your-face rnb, though.

Peru

IU remains queen of Gaon chart for 5th week

Female singer IU continued to rule Gaon's singles chart while boy band TVXQ returned with a bang to take No.1 spot in Gaon album chart.

According to Gaon's singles chart during the week of January 2 to 8, there was no change in rankings from first to fourth place compared to the previous week, IU’s song “Good Day” coming out the winner for the fifth consecutive week.

Sung Si-kyung’s ballad “You Are My Spring” took second place followed by GD&T.O.P’s hip-hop numbers “OH YEAH” and “HIGH HIGH” in third and fourth place, respectively.

Coming in at No.5 was powerful dance number “Why (Keep Your Head Down)” by boy band TVXQ who has returned to the music scene after a two-year hiatus.

In the albums chart, the special edition of TVXQ’s album “Keep Your Head Down” released on January 5, debuted on top.

It was followed by second part of the original soundtrack for SBS drama “Secret Garden” and seven-member boy band INFINITE’s second EP album “Evolution” at No. 3.

Reporter: Heidi Kim heidikim@
Editor : Jessica Kim jesskim@
<&#9426;10Asia All rights reserved>

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Peru said:
So funny seeing what's presented in movies/shows/cable tv/ cultural products in general compared to what's allowed on public channels. Pretty clear that it's those channels that are living in the past.
No, that concert was 19+ and the same goes for any such product or performance. Public channels are for the entire public, including minors, so they strictly control those. When they have the smallest slip-up, there is a big "WHAT ABOUT THE CHILDREN?!" uproar, so I wouldn't say those standards are in the past for Korea.

I would say that the middle aged are in outward strong denial of what teenagers are saturated with, but I also think there is an inward secret acceptance of it because deep down every parent knows that it starts the minute puberty hits. For many, it's too awkward and uncomfortable to guide them through, yet they don't want to leave them to the dogs, and even if full censorship was possible they wouldn't want the whole world to drop on the kid all at once when they turn 19. So they maintain their stances, which are reflected in laws, while knowing the kind of stuff the kid watches and maybe 20% of what the kid does. Though I'd say this goes for most countries that give any sort of shit about censorship.

Peru

That's true, and it's not that I'd expect this kind of material to show up on TV, but the gap is so huge. No one can deny that the broadcasting restrictions are quite strict in Korea, more strict than most OECD countries, but that difference is not really reflected in, say, the movie industry. Makes me feel there are two realities, anyway.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Salazar said:
Hurricane Venus.
Title song is superawesome, the rest… Eh. I loathe Copy&Paste.

BoA has been on a decline for a few years now. I used to be a really big fan, right now, I just want her to get back to her old form. But I guess Electropop is all the rage now, so that's what's up. Fucking management. I feel like she was chewed up in the process of her US endeavors. She's so thin now, that can't be healthy.

Peru

The singles were only 'decent', but I really liked Hurricane Venus as an album. The ballads on it were among the best of her career. She had a couple of great Japanese singles last year as well, Woo Weekend and Possibility come to mind.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Peru said:
The singles were only 'decent', but I really liked Hurricane Venus as an album. The ballads on it were among the best of her career. She had a couple of great Japanese singles last year as well, Woo Weekend and Possibility come to mind.
The ballads are good, but her voice is so thin… To me, her best time was with Girls On Top and before.

Ashhong

Peru said:
That's true, and it's not that I'd expect this kind of material to show up on TV, but the gap is so huge. No one can deny that the broadcasting restrictions are quite strict in Korea, more strict than most OECD countries, but that difference is not really reflected in, say, the movie industry. Makes me feel there are two realities, anyway.

It's really just the gap between <19 and 19+ IMO. Korea is really strict and shelter the young

Dice

I love all four of them now, especially Jieun, and I think they're supposed to release a full album after Shy Boy promotions?

Peru

To be honest I'm surprised at how many girl groups thrive in the crowded market at the moment, and have found their own niche.

Dice

I remember when I first saw that. Before I just listened to audio, and had only been watching actual performances for a short time. My jaw probably dropped out of my face because I wasn't used to Korean girls yet and Sistar just might be the hottest girl group, though I can't choose between them and Rainbow. It was fantastic for the summer, I listened to it so many times on my cycling route.

Peru

There's no reason why idols, who live such extraordinary lives, with the pressure, trials, hardships and pent-up feelings they go through, should not write as interesting, or more interesting lyrics than the professional songwriters in k-pop. Unless they just try to copy cliches there's bound to be some real power in putting pen to paper about their experiences.

Case in point, BoA's "Ordinary Day", which pretty much sums up the limitations of an idol's life in one song. Song here, lyrics in the description http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wQdsW6cpKk

The thought that I'm alone comes up
Though everyone knows that's not true

Awkward expressions, expressionless words

I really like this one, she's never seemed comfortable speaking about her life on variety shows.

I can't easily say that I'm lonely
I also can't easily say that I want to see you
It should be such a normal emotion
But to me, it's just too hard

Doesn't need much explanation, the everyday life that idols can't live.

On haterrrrs:

The cold, spilling words
Easily said to me, those words that are like a splinter
pierces into my heart
They don't come out and only give me scars

etc etc.

panda21

Dice said:
Secret is entering their golden era. You can tell from their performance tonight:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDwmGX6vrIw

I have the source for this if you want it.

they seem to be getting better and better with their performances

Dice said:
I love all four of them now, especially Jieun, and I think they're supposed to release a full album after Shy Boy promotions?

really? that would be awesome. i hope so

Salazar

Is it not possible to buy KARA or Secret albums in iTunes ?

[This is code for: "I can't find them in the store. Which is weird"]

Dice

Salazar said:
Is it not possible to buy KARA or Secret albums in iTunes ?
You can only get them from Korean sites, and you can only register with those sites if you have a Korean SSN. So basically THEY DON'T WANT YOUR FILTHY FOREIGN MONEY.

This is one of the reasons the "Big 3" labels sit at the top. They're just smarter business-wise.

louis89

The text in the intro sequence of Kara's new Japanese show URAKARA is ripped from Wikipedia XD

mr759h.png

Salazar

http://www.allkpop.com/2011/01/miss-as-suzy-calls-secret-rookies

miss A’s Suzy made a slight mistake while MC-ing on “Music Core.”

On the episode that aired on January 15th, Suzy made the mistake of introducing SECRET as a rookie group when in fact they’re actually her seniors in the music industry.

To be specific, while she was introducing the next batch of performing artists along with T-ara’s Jiyeon, she stated, “(SECRET) the emerging rookie group.”

Paging Dice.

Dice

Ashhong said:
Because you love Secret and they have been disrespected! Do something about it!
You're right, this must be stopped! I have to find some way to keep Suzy's mouth busy so she can't say these things! Hmmmmm...
ib2qMi.png

Dice

Huh? Smileys aren't banned, they were just disabled from the board to keep people from making posts entirely comprised of smileys.

Dice

I've been on GAF from the beginning, like the beginning beginning in 96 or whenever the hell it was. The mods aren't assholes, they just want you to use your brain and respect people. If anything gets banned or taken away, it's because one of those things weren't happening. Simple as that.

Salazar

panda21 said:
i was all ready to kick some maknae ass when i saw 'miss A’s Suzy calls SECRET rookies' until i read the article and she just mis-spoke. awesome kotaku level journalism, i love it

See what I did: I left the correction out of the quote. I upped the Kotaku-ness of an already Kotaku-ish story.

They should put me on staff.

panda21

oh i didnt mean what you wrote, i saw the headline on allkpop before and was all like D:

then i read the article and lold

edit:
oh kpop, you so crazy

“I’d like to deeply apologize for causing our 4nias and others to worry. Jiyoon and I are so close that I did the act as a joke and without thought. I never meant for it to be disrespectful.

I always hope to show a respectful side to myself, but I feel that I wasn’t cautious enough with each of my actions.

I will make sure to listen to all of the severe criticisms against me, and prevent something like this from happening again in the future.

Once again, I would like to genuinely apologize.“

After the picture was uploaded, Jiyoon quickly clarified, “That picture was uploaded as a mistake, how do I delete it?“ The picture was promptly deleted after fans taught her how.

i am not good with computer lol

http://www.allkpop.com/2011/01/4minutes-gayoon-apologizes-for-her-questionable-photo

Ashhong

goddamn the things kpop artists have to go through...she was probably stressed as fuck that if she didnt apologize immediately and it be accepted that she would basically get kicked out and be forever alone.

Peru

Nothing would probably happen, to be fair. I mean, the 'netizen comments' weren't that negative and the main problem is that they get included in ACTUAL news articles anyway. If people just stopped acknowledging their existence by commenting/apologizing, then those netizens inflated self-image would go away.

Ashhong

Peru said:
Nothing would probably happen, to be fair. I mean, the 'netizen comments' weren't that negative and the main problem is that they get included in ACTUAL news articles anyway. If people just stopped acknowledging their existence by commenting/apologizing, then those netizens inflated self-image would go away.

Iuno, I feel like if she didnt apologize things would have turned very bad.

Speaking of banning idols, did JYP ever state what that 2PM member did that was so bad that they couldnt let him back in?

panda21

yeah i always get the impression they sort of need to apologise because the reaction is pretty nuts from some people

theres a poll in the article about her sticking up the finger and slightly over 50% of people said it was disrespectful and she needed to apologise or something

tbh i do think some of this is part of the appeal for me, if they were all self obsessed cocaine monsters like the pop stars here then they wouldnt have much time for things like invincible youth. this slightly insane conservatism has the knock on effect of promoting positive values rather than childish rebellion.

Peru

I get a childish thrill out of seeing them not conform to those standards. That's why I like it when they're rude, or when they show the finger, or when they swear, or when they don't give a fuck (see: Sulli, Krystal of f(x) ie they've been accused of showing 'attitude', said that's not the case withOUT apologizing and then doing the same thing at another event. Plus the general bitchy characters they show on Koala).

Dice

Peru said:
I get a childish thrill out of seeing them not conform to those standards. That's why I like it when they're rude, or when they show the finger, or when they swear, or when they don't give a fuck (see: Sulli, Krystal of f(x) ie they've been accused of showing 'attitude', said that's not the case withOUT apologizing and then doing the same thing at another event. Plus the general bitchy characters they show on Koala).
It also leaves room for cool people to be truly cool. I don't really know how to explain the dynamics of it, but if someone says how another person just acted cool, it's usually really true. It's like... handling the uppity social climate with total confidence and a certain level of detachment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom