• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KPop-GAF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peru

ttttto.gif

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
If they started using that reasoning here the radio would be shut down. :lol

suzu

That video is so ghetto lol. But TOP looks hot. :p

I believe the next songs up for videos are "Don't Go Home" and another I can't recall atm. I wish they would do one for "Oh Yeah"!

CiSTM

Banned
Doesn't really belong here but since you people seem to know thing or two about Korean music I will place my questions here. What is the best selling Korean album (ever)? Best selling albums (top 5 or 10 would be nice if you can even find one) of 90s & 00s ?

panda21

KBS, MBC, and SBS stated that the reason for the ban was because the title and lyrics used slang, which they believed would damage the national psyche.

oh wow :lol

how is bo-peep bo-peep bo-peep better?

Korey

About the random English interspersed in Kpop song lyrics, do most Koreans understand English at a good enough level to get it? Or is it just gibberish to them when they listen to songs on the radio?

suzu said:
I believe the next songs up for videos are "Don't Go Home" and another I can't recall atm. I wish they would do one for "Oh Yeah"!

Maybe "Baby Good Night"? I have read what they're going to be, but I can't remember.

I'll miss Knock Out - sounds like a totally ridiculous reason to ban a song.

Ashhong

panda21 said:
oh wow :lol

how is bo-peep bo-peep bo-peep better?

What's wrong with bo peep's lyrics? Remember the Bo Peep video was banned though.

Korey said:
About the random English interspersed in Kpop song lyrics, do most Koreans understand English at a good enough level to get it? Or is it just gibberish to them when they listen to songs on the radio?

Yes and no. Most of the "sprinkled English" is pretty basic so they get that. The longer parts where they have a whole verse in English or a few lines are a bit more difficult to some.

Anyone watch or watched 2NE1TV?

I've just discovered it and it's kind of addictive, even though it does in part revolve around Bom eating sweetcorn.

Peru

Yeah, it's amazing. There are a lot of opportunities to watch your fave k-pop stars, every week, but this one is different since it's just behind the scenes for weeks and months, making music, daily lives, etc. They're very funny, and I enjoyed seeing them go to USA, London, etc. For those who don't know, all their 2nd season shows are on their official channel, subbed http://www.youtube.com/user/2NE1#p/c/BBCAD359CECA17B4/18/9BYNPMNXHEI

I have to say, my favorite k-pop tv production ever is Lee Hyori's "Off the Record", recorded when she was in the process of making the album "It's Hyorish". She's suffered so many career setbacks through the past ten years, and you get to see how weathered she is by it here. Also some brutally honest moments, like her confession that "now that I don't drink everyday anymore I'm even more lonely". Mostly she's hilarious.

Download: http://hyoleesubs.wordpress.com/eng-subbed/

She's still the great personality of k-pop, no matter how you feel about her music.

Fafnir

CruxisMana said:
Anyone watch or watched 2NE1TV?

I saw 2NE1 on other variety shows and they always came off as pretty stiff, but 2NE1TV show's their real personality. Dara is a cutie and Bom is going to get chunky once she stops performing as she seems to love to eat :lol

Big Bang cameo's are entertaining as well.

They compared Minzy's and Daesung's look and I can't not see it anymore, pretty much ruined Minzy for me LOL

idGPso.jpg

Dice

I hate it when the teaser was everywhere in 1080p but the actual video can only be found in 320p. It always happens with Pledis artists, too.

Dice

It's cute, and I'm sure they'll be cuter on stage. I'm glad they didn't repeat one word too much like their last two singles, though I don't think this will have the staying power of either of them. I like the focus on Jieun, as she usually doesn't get much attention. I'm kind of surprised at the post effects on the video, making them all look tan. That isn't really the thing in Korea.

Ashhong

Dice said:
It's cute, and I'm sure they'll be cuter on stage. I'm glad they didn't repeat one word too much like their last two singles, though I don't think this will have the staying power of either of them. I like the focus on Jieun, as she usually doesn't get much attention. I'm kind of surprised at the post effects on the video, making them all look tan. That isn't really the thing in Korea.

It needs to be.

On an unrelated (and old) note, I just stumbled on this and thought it was amusing.

SHINee - Juliette = Corbin Bleu - Deal With It

SHINee - Love Like Oxygen = Martin - Show The World

SHINee - Lucifer = Jelena Karleusa - Muskarac Koji Mrzi Zene

SHINee - Hello = J.Cates - Holla

(There are more, I just couldn't be bothered to gather all the links).

I already knew the first two and I know that SM buys the rights to the songs and such, but pretty much only Ring Ding Dong is an original song. I do like SHINee though.

:lol

Dice

SM usually makes a drastic improvement on these songs with the lyric changes. Don't get me started on the mindless club drivel of the song A-Yo was taken from.

Ashhong

I've said it before, and I'll say it again.

T-ara - Temptastic is the best EP of all time, despite having Yayaya.

Dice

Ashhong said:
I've said it before, and I'll say it again.

T-ara - Temptastic is the best EP of all time, despite having Yayaya.
It's so good. I've been waiting 25 days for it to arrive so I can have perfect lossless goodness and the wonderful packaging, and that is after it took a week to actually ship after being "ready to ship" ugh. Kara's Revolution (best kpop album) and Jumping (another fantastic EP) are coming with it.

Anyway I like Yayaya in recording form, but the vocals are used in such a way with such particular mastering to make it work that it doesn't work live. My favorite on the album is I Don't Know. Something about the flat, static saw bass mixing with the smooth synth strings, bubbly echo synth guitar plucks, phased synth piano scales, and harmonizing vocals with the reverb all comes together so perfectly into a delicious digital pop feast.

Kara has more of a happy sunshine sort of feel but you should check out Jumping if you like Temptastic. Especially now that you have some proper headphones with good treble, you'll be able to appreciate the strengths of DSP's production style.

Ashhong

Dice said:
It's so good. I've been waiting 25 days for it to arrive so I can have perfect lossless goodness and the wonderful packaging, and that is after it took a week to actually ship after being "ready to ship" ugh. Kara's Revolution (best kpop album) and Jumping (another fantastic EP) are coming with it.

Anyway I like Yayaya in recording form, but the vocals are used in such a way with just particular mastering to make it work that it doesn't work live. My favorite on the album is I Don't Know. Something about the flat, static saw bass mixing with the smooth synth strings, bubbly echo synth guitar plucks, phased synth piano scales, and harmonizing vocals with the reverb all comes together so perfectly into a delicious digital pop feast.

Kara has more of a happy sunshine sort of feel but you should check out Jumping if you like Temptastic, especially now that you have some proper headphones with good treble ability, you'll be able to appreciate the strengths of DSP's production style.

I love when they go "mola mola mola molayoo". For me it's probably Why are you being like this > I'm OK > I dont know > Yayaya.

I've listened to all of Karas stuff but cant get into it very much except for a few. T-ara's Breaking Heart is actually my favorite Kpop album as well. Pretty much listen to every song without having to skip, its fantastic. I just dont find most of Revolution that catchy.

Dice

Ashhong said:
I love when they go "mola mola mola molayoo".
That's my favorite part, too. It reminds me of 1:20 into Bye Bye.

For me it's probably Why are you being like this > I'm OK > I dont know > Yayaya.
Ma Boo falls into the abyss? Ah well, it's basically another TTL remix anyway.

I've listened to all of Karas stuff but cant get into it very much except for a few. T-ara's Breaking Heart is actually my favorite Kpop album as well. Pretty much listen to every song without having to skip, its fantastic. I just dont find most of Revolution that catchy.
Breaking Heart was my fav for a long time and it's still really close, but for whatever reason Revolution just fills me with happiness every single time. Breaking Heart is awesome and has more variety and is probably a greater technical and artistic achievement but... <3<3<3<3? No words to explain it, but T-ara is still my favorite group.

Ashhong

Dice said:
That's my favorite part, too. It reminds me of 1:20 into Bye Bye.

Ma Boo falls into the abyss? Ah well, it's basically another TTL remix anyway.

Breaking Heart was my fav for a long time and it's still really close, but for whatever reason Revolution just fills me with happiness every single time. Breaking Heart is awesome and has more variety and is probably a greater technical and artistic achievement but... <3<3<3<3? No words to explain it, but T-ara is still my favorite group.

Woops, duno why I forgot it. I actually love Ma Boo. It's tied/3rd place after I'm Ok. I just LOVE that song for some reason. Great lyrics and amazing vocals.

SNSD is my fav group but BH is my favorite album by far. So good

Is <3<3<3 a track? i dont seem to have it

OH i just got it :lol you just love em and cant put it in words. I feel the same

Peru

Been listening some more to To Anyone because of the year-end lists and so on, and cot damn it's just amazing. The singles just explode through your earphones and the minor tracks like 'Love is ayayay' are amazing. I think at first I was set back by the fact that only six tracks were all new, but now I just count 'Try To Follow Me' (best song ever) and all the solo / duet tracks as parts of the whole. And You and I is one of the ultimate k-pop rnb tunes while Kiss and Please Don't Go are more than good enough to be lead singles for the group itself. Kiss, in particular, I feel has been underrated as a CLASSIC.

--
-
-ALSO

diplo d&#305;p&#1503;o
its true kpop is soo #based right now
6 hours ago

Ashhong

Salazar said:
K-Pop albums.

Recommendations, bitches. I have nothing but SNSD. Point me in the right direction.

T-ara - Breaking Heart (Repackaged Album)
T-ara - Temptastic
2NE1 - To Anyone (not a huge fan, but its a decent listen)

I'll let others fill in the rest

Blablurn

Salazar said:
K-Pop albums.

Recommendations, bitches. I have nothing but SNSD. Point me in the right direction.

2NE1 - To Anyone (Album)
2NE1 - 1st Mini Album
T-ara - Braking Heart
T-ara - Temptastic
Brown Eyed Girls - Brown Eyed Girls
Brown Eyed Girls - Vol 3. Sound-G
G-DRAGON - Heartbreaker (male guy but really good)
HYORI LEE - H-LOGIC
HYORI LEE - Stylish...E
HYORI LEE - It's Hyorish
WonderGirls - The Wonder Years — Trilogy
4MINUTE - Diamond
Clazziquai - Metrotronics
Clazziquai - Color your soul
Super Junior - Sorry Sorry
And basically everything from Big Bang.

Salazar

Ashhong said:
2NE1 - To Anyone (not a huge fan, but its a decent listen)

This is the only one iTunes has. Damn and blast.

Cheers, Blaburn and Ashhong. 2NE1 and Brown Eyed Girls will do for the moment.

Peru

Taeyang - SOLAR
GD & TOP - Vol 1
Ga-In - Step 2/4
Shinee - 1st album

If you're going for Lee Hyori, get "It's Hyorish". Half the H-Logic tracks were plagiarized and the producer jailed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom