• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KPop-GAF

Status
Not open for further replies.

cloudwalking

300chf ain't shit to me
Blablurn said:
wow, didn't know that :lol (i still like it)

haha yeah i also found this out after the fact, and was shocked, but i still think it's a good album. just a shame that everything was stolen :/

Blablurn

good choice salazar. to anyone is such a good album! enjoy it man! 난 바빠 (I'm busy) is soooo good.

NABAA AAA BABA LET ME GOOOO

panda21

Salazar said:
K-Pop albums.

Recommendations, bitches. I have nothing but SNSD. Point me in the right direction.

Kara - Revolution
2NE1 - To anyone
T-ara - absolute first album or breaking heart (same album except breaking heart has 2 or 3 more tracks?)
4minute - Diamond
Kara - Girl's talk

some longer/better minialbums:

miss A - bad but good
miss A - step up
4minute - HuH
T-ara - temptastic
4minute - For Muzik

also single songs:
rainbow - mach,a
2ne1 - fire
secret - magic,madonna,shy boy
brown eyed girls - abracadabra

probably you will already know a lot of these songs if you've been watching variety shows, especially abracadabra

edit:
oh i forgot the boys
C.N Blue - i'm a loner
shinee or whoever it is - ring ding dong (because its funny)
dbsk kind of sounds like 90s trip hop

Salazar

Thank you all. I feel an extraordinarily strong compulsion to leave academic work behind and flood my brain with upbeat melodic daftness.

Blablurn

haha, i'd like to add these too

Brown Eyed Girls - hold the line (love it)
SHINee - LUCIFER (full volume and let's gooooo)

EDIT:

omg, ashhong, internet high five ! :lol

Ashhong

:lol I only actually said it cause panda said SHINee. Only listened to a few of the tracks off of that. Not bad so far though

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
First, I agree with a lot of recommendations so far. Especially don't miss Rainbow just because I think they need more love.

Early stuff from Brown Eyed Girls is better... but I will mostly focus on newer kpop for the rest, since the scene is moving forward forward forward.

Don't just get the singles from Secret, the Magic & Madonna minis are good.

Anything by IU, but especially her new album Real, since she has become the nation's sweetheart by it.

All of 4minute's stuff kind of goes together somehow. It's best to just listen to their For Muzik and HuH mini albums all at once. Don't forget to check out Hyuna's single Change.

Anything and everything by Davichi. They are the best female vocalists in kpop and the songs are good.

Brown Eyed Soul are the best male vocalists, although they are more straight R&B than pop. They have a lot of good songs as well.

I personally like Kim Tae Woo, he is more groove and 90s than others, but he has good songs.

f(x) has their NU ABO mini but before that they had Chu and LaChaTa singles. You should know all 3 of these.

Narsha has a self-titled album that is great.

Infinite may not be the best, but I like the unique kind of sound their songs have. It reminds me of the 80s in a way.

Super Junior - Bonamana
A pretty good album. It's a bit soft, but if you actually like SNSD music not just their cuteness, you'll dig it.

The Wonder Girls - Vol.1 The Wonder Years, 3rd Project - So Hot
You need that, not just for quality but knowledge. 2 Different Tears is a change of style and not all that. Losing Hyuna was bad, losing Sunmi killed them.

Black Pearl - Gogossing
Not because they are required knowledge, but they're pretty good and CCM needs to give them another chance. Stupid ass CCM starting good groups and abandoning them... I hope these girls don't become the next SeeYa, but I feel like they will.

Big Bang - Number 1
Kind of hard to find, but I feel like it is the best collection that represents the "new" them as opposed to their old style. It's also mostly English because it was released in Japan and I guess they didn't want to bother learning Japanese.

G-Dragon - Heartbreaker
Solid album helping to define the YG style overall. He's massively popular so you should know him if you want to seem like you have an idea of the kpop scene.

SHINee - Lucifer
Good album and they became way more popular by it, so you should know it.

Jeon Boram - From Memory
Mostly unknown solo project by Boram from T-ara. It's mellow and soothing, really good.

Now YG is going to try and trick you into thinking they represent the Korean hiphop scene, but really they are taking heavy influence from the American club scene and putting their spin on it. You should have some knowledge of the real Korean hiphop scene, so.... rappers to know:

Dynamic Duo
Drunken Tiger
Epik High
Supreme Team
DJ DOC
Uptown
YDG
TBNY
Tasha
Outsider

Hmmmm... this may quickly become overwhelming, since they are harder to find. I guess start by watching this concert.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7R94jWXwSw

Things to put into Youtube, just to know:
Hong Jin Young
Girl's Day (make sure to check out their song Control)
Se7en
After School
MBLAQ
2PM (Heartbeat, if you need a reference point for the search)
NS Yoonji
Miss $
Koyote
G.NA
Psy
Rain (Bi)
San E
Co-Ed (Too Late, for a reference point)
SG Wannabe
SeeYa
BEAST (B2ST, best song is Soom)
VNT

Sorry if I offended anyone somehow.

Dice

Salazar said:
How dare you.
I'm not saying it's bad music or that I dislike it. I just know that it isn't the primary reason for everyone liking them.

Peru

Oh I was just helping you diss ol' Dice.

Actually 'How dare you' is the English title of SISTAR's new single, "니 까짓게". 니 까짓게 뭔데? = 'Who the hell do you think you are?'

Dice

Today is a good day. ^_^

Wpv81.jpg

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Guess I turned around concerning IU's 'Good Day'. I actually enjoy it. Not sure why, my critique is still valid, I probably just like corny 90s anime songs or whatever.

Dice

It's really good.

I'll save you some visual description by sending you here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94Zmmw659MI

The photos are really high quality, better than Temptastic, which actually aren't as high quality as Breaking Heart. What that guy doesn't mention is that the case itself has a very velvety smooth matte finish. I think the etching is a really nice touch and helps make it feel more "custom" rather than just printing the album content on a standard album template.

Dice

Seriously, you guys. This is me telling you how much better kpop is in perfect lossless form.

pGJsa.gif

Am I the only one who finds it funny that the established form of this gif is clearly from a theater bootleg?

Peru

New IU interview http://weheartiu.com/forums/index.p...an-i-deserve…i-will-become-a-smarter-singer”/

lol at her humbleness.. I believe it's sincere, but it's also pretty comical

You’ve been named the new ‘Nation’s Little Sister’, and so have you fully realized that you’re the ‘hottest trend’?

It’s a really burdensome and undeserving title.

2 years after your debut, you’ve had a sudden rise in fame, and so what do you consider to be the secret behind this?

I’m bewildered. Honestly, both my company and I never once imagined that I could become this popular. First of all, ‘Good Day’ was a great song, and I got lucky. Because I’m not extraordinarily pretty or gifted, I think that makes me more likable.

We bet you’ve been hearing how great you are at singing since you were young.

Not at all. There’s no one in my family who actually sings. Whenever I sang, my family told me that I was being too loud, that I needed to be quiet.

and

When you reflect back on the past videos of your unsuccessful auditions that have recently surfaced on the internet…?

As anyone who watched would know, I had no individuality and my vocal skills were very lacking. But I had the belief and conviction that one day I’d become a singer. If I had passed my auditions back then, I probably would’ve become a girl group member. (Laughs)

that WOULD have been a tragedy

Dice

That girl needs to stop making me love her so much.

Her complex about her looks is annoying but, eh, she's a highschooler in Korea.

A depressing article on allkpop about a day in the life of Secret

http://www.allkpop.com/2011/01/spend-the-day-with-the-girls-of-secret

Not only do they get very little sleep, they barely eat anything in case their faces bloat!

Ji Eun said:
Normally, we won’t even eat as much as we ate today. We usually eat egg whites or a carton of soy milk. We can only eat salads once a day with only balsamic or oriental dressing

Sunhwa said:
It’s gotten a lot better now, but it was really difficult during the Christmas holiday because of the year-end ceremonies. We stayed up for eight days in a row because of our music video filming and ceremony preparations.

I wouldn't be surprised if these companies give their acts uppers to keep them going.

Dice

The really messed up part is when you realize the company doesn't have to strongarm them into it. They want to and knowingly enter into that kind of living as they understand how fierce the competition is. It's just the nature of the biz to them, no breaks for idols. It's like gang members who enforce stupidity on each other by all being in it together, they all say "but all the idols do this" to eliminate the thought of a possible alternative from their minds. Someone needs to save these kids from themselves, put some laws in place.

Xizk

MBLAQ's album is out. I have liked their singles so I was looking forward to hearing Stay,which is the main single for the album. I really like it. Don't really like any of the filler tracks which is sadly to be expected of many kpop albums :/. Anyone listened to it yet?

Dice

Xizk said:
MBLAQ's album is out. I have liked their singles so I was looking forward to hearing Stay,which is the main single for the album. I really like it. Don't really like any of the filler tracks which is sadly to be expected of many kpop albums :/. Anyone listened to it yet?
Never was a fan of MBLAQ (they can be fun guys on variety shows, tho) and this didn't change my mind. Just in general J.Tune needs some new composers.

Check out Infinite's new mini. It's keeps well with their previous style while adding some jpop flavor. Somewhat bland, but that is a significant step up from annoying, which is what I'd call plenty of fangirl favorites.

That said...

G~H-E-T-T-O
E-L-E-C-T-R-O
미칠지 모르죠
말리지 마 HERE WE GO

panda21

broadwayrock said:
A depressing article on allkpop about a day in the life of Secret

http://www.allkpop.com/2011/01/spend-the-day-with-the-girls-of-secret

Not only do they get very little sleep, they barely eat anything in case their faces bloat!

I wouldn't be surprised if these companies give their acts uppers to keep them going.

not sure how much i believe that because at least 50% of secret arent exactly skinny :lol Sunhwa recently said she was on a 1200 calorie a day diet of 200ml milk, breakfast cereal, a kimbap roll and a salad. hell i eat 1200 a day quite often.

i dont get the bit about not sleeping on their stomachs incase their face bloats. like literally lying face down on their stomach?! who does that anyway? :lol

Ashhong

panda21 said:
not sure how much i believe that because at least 50% of secret arent exactly skinny :lol Sunhwa recently said she was on a 1200 calorie a day diet of 200ml milk, breakfast cereal, a kimbap roll and a salad. hell i eat 1200 a day quite often.

i dont get the bit about not sleeping on their stomachs incase their face bloats. like literally lying face down on their stomach?! who does that anyway? :lol

You would be surprised at the myths Koreans tell each other. Sleeping with the fan on will kill you, for one. I haven't heard the bloating one but I am not surprised.

Xizk

Dice said:
Check out Infinite's new mini. It's keeps well with their previous style while adding some jpop flavor. Somewhat bland, but that is a significant step up from annoying, which is what I'd call plenty of fangirl favorites.

Yeah I've listened to it and it's not bad.

panda21 said:

Those same albums were up on spotify a while but got pulled down. I wish the real companies would support spotify so I would use it more.

Salazar

T-ARA, Breaking Heart.

My university is flooded and my supervisor is out of the country. I figure I can lie back and listen to K-pop.

suzu

Dice

Secret won on MCD tonight! It's the first time they won on any show, and during a time of high popularity for GD/TOP and IU! I've been cheering for them for a while now, it's good to see them finally get an award.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom