• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

top ten favorite ps2 games?

In no particular order and off the top of my head:

Ico
Rez
GTA III
Amplitude
Guitar Hero
SSX Tricky
Timesplitters 2
Psi Ops: The Mindgate Conspiracy
Mercenaries: Playground of Destruction
Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King

Someone should compile a database and find who's closest to who.

Vyrance

Just off of the top of my head:

51AW0V4GH6L._AA300_.jpg
51MpSCLOG-L._SL500_AA300_.jpg
31YPjavuarL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

51vF-x80zSL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
61V972CCQRL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
51HC2NQTVXL._AA300_.jpg

41uMJ%2BHeF9L._SL500_AA300_.jpg
419M0tHJNiL._AA300_.jpg
51XFV04N9VL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

51N94A88CBL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

KingK

Shadow of the Colossus (This one is indisputably #1, the rest are in no particular order)
Metal Gear Solid 3
Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy
God of War 2
Ratchet and Clank: Up Your Arsenal
Kingdom Hearts
Final Fantasy X
Sly Cooper
Jak 3
Ratchet and Clank: Going Commando

leroidys

Zone of the Enders 2 Fast paced action packed mecha with horrible voice acting, beautiful graphics, and a Gradius cameo. What more could you want?

Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence I'm not going to include MGS2 in my list, as I'm one of the few people who played it first on xbox, but nevertheless this game tops it. The least offensive story since MGS1, tons of content, the humor is actually good, excellent weapons and secrets, and beautiful environments. Also it's set in Russia during the Cold War. Awesome.

Final Fantasy XII What an amazing game. One of the most engrossing and ambitious RPG's out there, the world is enormous and packed with content. As others mentioned, the story gets out of your way, which could be seen as a positive or a negative. The cast of characters is the strongest in an FF game since... well, ever. The new battle system, the dumping of random battles, the hunts, the amazing graphical achievement it is considering the hardware, just an absolute masterpiece. Haters go home.

Ico An immense achievement in video games. You're immediately lost in this world which feels quite expansive, despite the game being very linear. The gameplay is there too, the climbing animations and mechanics were amazing for the time, and it really showed that in this new console generation, 3D games could be just as fluid and visually stunning as 2D.

Shadow of the Colossus The 'sequel' to Ico, and it plays it smart by being not following up with the same formula. Epic in the truest sense of the word, the game draws you in to the love story between Wander and the princess with no offensive CG cutscenes or jpop.

Suikoden III It's Suikoden, what can I say? As an earlier PS2 game there is a lot of weirdness introduced by the "all our IPs must go completely 3D to stay relevant" fad, but it's still an engrossing 80 hour experience. I love the changes to the Suikoden universe plot, specifically with utilizing a certain mysterious character of past games. I own V, but have yet to play it :X. I have a feeling that when I do that it will kick III off my list.

Gradius V It's not super serious and minimalist like Ikaruga (which is one of my favorite games ever) but it is one of the best shmups ever made. It's pretty much a miracle that this game was even made, and it is one PS2 game that I can say for sure I will never part with.

Katamari Damacy Where Ico masters atmosphere and subtle storytelling, Katamari Damacy masters being a wacky Japanese video game. Amazing music, score based gameplay, eye-popping colors, disdain for the player, and completely absurd sense of humor... it contains everything that makes video games great. Perfect.

Mega Man X Collection Ok, this is kind of cheating, but I can't have a "greatest" list without some mega man, and this is an excellent compilation. Mega Man X1, X2, and X4 are definitely the highlights of the series, and they are rendered perfectly here.

Gran Turismo 4 I don't really need to explain this one.

I'm only maybe a quarter to halfway through my PS2 backlog though. Probably will go down as the best system in history, and this is not through nostalgia tinted glasses, as I didn't own a PS2 until about 3 years ago.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
leroidys said:
I think I killed the thread :(

You and I both have a bad habit of doing that. If I had a nickel for every thread where my post was the last one...

I'd have quite a few stacks of nickels.

Prophane33

10: Densha De Go Final
9. Gran Turismo 4
8. Ace Combat IV
7. Silent Hill II
6. King of Colosseum II
5. Dynasty Warriors 5: Empires
4. Samurai Warriors 2: Empires
3. Final Fantasy XII
2. Metal Gear Solid 3
1. Dragon Quest VIII

I'm not 100% sure about some of my placings, and I'm sure I'm forgetting a game or two (couldn't fit a Super Robot Taisen in there). This list is based more on the amount of time I spent with some of these games and how much I enjoyed them, rather than their artistic merits/quality.

sfedai0

Banned
Reading this thread has jogged my memory of some obscure RPGs that I dont think anyone has listed.

-Steambot Chronicles
-Mobile Suit Saga
-Metal Saga

All are somewhat sandbox like and highly customizable. Anyone ever play them? I feel like diving back in to some PS2 games now.

Smo21

No order

• Shadow of The Colossus
  • Metal Gear Solid 3
  • Persona 4
  • Yakuza
  • Devil May Cry
  • God of War 2
  • Final Fantasy X (blitz ball!!!!!)
  • Tony Hawk Pro Skater 4
  • Kingdom Hearts
  • Beyond Good and Evil

Honorable Mention
  • Shadow Hearts Covenant
  • ICO
  • Valkyrie Profile 2
  • MVP Baseball 2005

1. Dark Chronicle
2. Phantom Brave
3. SMT Nocturne
4. Gitaroo Man
5. ICO
6. Odin Sphere
7. Star Ocean 3
8. Suikoden V
9. Persona 4
10. Grim Grimoire
11. Breath of Fire V
12. Klonoa 2

I know that's 12 but I just couldn't knock two games off that list.

Valkyrie Profile 2 + Shadow of the Colossus would probably be there somewhere if I'd gotten around to playing them.

No order:
GTA: Vice City
Bully
The Warriors
God of War
Burnout Revenge
We <3 Katamari
Persona 3
SSX3
Kingdom Hearts 2
Soul Calibur 2

I have way too many favorite games to narrow it down to top ten, but here's an attempt anyway:

Top 10 in No particular order:

16451075.jpg
34331879.jpg
21256739.jpg
85311559.jpg
58023963.jpg

jz9ua.jpg
wwOuX.jpg
T2QmX.jpg
Iydww.jpg
RULWR.jpg

And 15 Honorable Mentions:

36135297.jpg
17151021.jpg
96665071.jpg
96458139.jpg
12111907.jpg

58421552.jpg
85853997.jpg
66652005.jpg
11603041.jpg
54533657.jpg

12174983.jpg
85131457.jpg
54988557.jpg
gfdTv.jpg
68XUM.jpg

kpx0

Banned
Final Fantasy X
GTA: San Andreas
ICO
Shadow of the Colossus
Metal Gear Solid 3
Devil May Cry 3
SF: 3rd Strike
Gran Turismo 4
We Love Katamari

Mungular

(no order)
Kingdom Hearts
Silent Hill 2
Resident Evil 4
Katamari Damacy
Final Fantasy XII
Tales Of The Abyss
Jak & Daxtar (Any made by Naughty Dog)
Sly Cooper (Any)
Ratchet & Clank (Any)
Dragon Quest VIII

plainr_

Socom 2
Socom 3
Socom Combined Assault
Socom 1
Gran Turismo 4
Grand Theft Auto San Andreas
Grand Theft Auto Vice City
Metal Gear Solid 3
God of War 3
Kingdom Hearts 2

Rth3Bs.jpg
zQy6es.jpg
vgULGs.jpg
oc5lOs.jpg

lgpYes.png
GOwX0s.jpg
BDS6Cs.jpg
ah3wis.jpg

3JaMPs.jpg
x5KUQs.jpg

Jay Sosa

I salute you for using small pics sir!

Anyway just like it's impossible for me to make a Top 10 list of my favorite Hip Hop albums, no way I can decide which 10 PS2 games I liked the most..but I'll try.

1. GTA: SA - No Contest. One, if not THE best games ever.

2. GTA: VC - What can I say..I love(d) GTA

3. Persona 3: FES - Yeah I actually liked it more than Persona 4, never had a problem with not beeing able to give my teammates orders and loved the fact that they can get sick. Added a lot of realism. Aigis might be my favorite side character ever.
I'm not ashamed to say I cried like a baby when the credits rolled.
Even loved the Answer (what? sue me)

4. God Hand - I never liked brawlers or Beat'em'ups..but this game does everything right. It's fun, challenging and has one of the most awesome stories in the history of videogames.

5. MGS 3 (SE) - My god the first 1 hour is maybe the worst in a brilliant game ever. What the hell where they thinking? Thank god I gave it another try. And I will never forget screaming at the TV when I had to fight
that ghost guy, brilliant idea but so fucking frustrating. Im very proud that I didn't look up a FAQ

6. DDS 1&2 - My first SMT games, made me fell in love with the universe

7. Devil Summoner 1 - Most outlets gave the game around 70%..are you fucking kidding me? A game in which the Personas talk to me and I can run around as Jack Frost?

Haven't played the second yet but heard it's even better, hard to imagine but I can't fucking wait. (well obviously I can, playing VP 2 right now and I'm in love with the game despite the MC looking like a 5 year old girl..japanese people are a weird bunch)

8. Disgaea - Played over 200 hours, great story, lovable characters and highly addictive.

9. FF 12 - Words cannot describe how much I despise FF X. It basically does everything wrong so I only bought FF 12 because it was like 20€. Glad I did, despite the fact that both main characters are the least interesting in the cast it had so many awesome features and ideas, no idea how they fucked up 13 so badly.

10. PES 2 - Best football game ever.

Note: Haven't even played a lot of supposedly great PS 2 titles yet, so that list may look a bit different in 2 years when I finished Nocturne, Xenosaga, Valkyrie Profile 2 and all these other fine ass games I own.

RiZ III

Ps2 had so many classics.

Yakuza
FFX
FFXII
MGS2
GTA3
Onimusha 2
Onimusha 3
Katamari Damacii
Drakan
Shadow of Rome
Ico
Downhill Domination

Jay Sosa

RiZ III said:
Ps2 had so many classics.

Yakuza
FFX
FFXII
MGS2
GTA3
Onimusha 2
Onimusha 3
Katamari Damacii
Drakan
Shadow of Rome
Ico
Downhill Domination

Awww shit, completely forgot that one!

Monocle

1. Okami
2. Devil May Cry 3: Special Edition
3. Devil May Cry
4. Tekken Tag Tournament
5. Shadow of the Colossus
6. Final Fantasy X
7. Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
8. Final Fantasy XII
9. God of War 2
10. Katamari Damacy

Best console ever.

Grzi

This is really hard, but here they are, off the top of my head:

Top 10 (in no particular order)

1bof5.jpg
2street-fighter-iii-3rd-strike-cover.jpg
3persona-4-cover.jpg

4Valkyrie_Profile_2_Silmeria_Dvd_ntsc-cdcovers_cc-front222.jpg
8guilty_gear_xx_accent_core_plus_frontcover_large_D0RiHiCouNGDJ6S.jpg

5kingdom-hearts-ii-ps2-cover-front-50630.jpg
6ShinMegamiTenseiNocturneCOVER222.jpg
7JAK_AND_DAXTER_PS2.jpg

9devil-may-cry-ps2-cover-front-jp-50199.jpg
10wild_arms_5_anniversary_bundle-print.png

Honorable mentions (I had to, there's too many games. Again, in no particular order)

600full-capcom-vs-snk-2-mark-of-the-millennium-2001-cover.jpg
936full-suikoden-v-cover.jpg
1131391666-00.jpg

av2pw.jpg
final-fantasy-xii-ps2-cover-front-eu-49690.jpg
God_Hand.jpg

basara2heroes.jpg
BloodWillTellTezukaOsamusDororoJAPCOVER.jpg
box-l.jpg

final-fantasy-x-ps2-cover-front-eu-49438.jpg
Front_Mission_5_cover.jpg
GarouMarkoftheWolves.jpg

Klonoa2Box.jpg
kofxi_ps2_ntsc.jpg

Ultratech

In no particular order, my choices:

1. Tales of Destiny: Director's Cut
tales-of-destiny-20060924075918908_640w.jpg

2. FFX
ffx5.jpg

3. Persona 3
persona_3_29.jpg

4. Persona 4
persona4_fight.jpg

5. MGS3
mgs3-1.jpg

6. God of War II
19251d1227326276-god-war-ii-games-god-war-ii-games.jpg

7. DQVIII
dragon-quest-viii-journey-of-the-cursed-king-20051122112003856.jpg

8. Shadow of the Colossus
shadow-of-the-colossus_wander_-jpg.jpg

9. Kingdom Hearts II
kingdomheartsII_4.jpg

10. Valkyrie Profile 2
valkyrie-profile-silmeria_00024114.jpg

To be fair though, the PS2 has a TON of great games. Just to name 10 would be a great disservice.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
sfedai0 said:
Reading this thread has jogged my memory of some obscure RPGs that I dont think anyone has listed.

-Steambot Chronicles
-Mobile Suit Saga
-Metal Saga

All are somewhat sandbox like and highly customizable. Anyone ever play them? I feel like diving back in to some PS2 games now.

Metal Saga made my top 10 list... though I haven't put nearly enough time into it. Great game and can be had for a pittance. I've even seen a copy up for sale at the local 7-11 of all places :p

My list is really standard. Funny thing, i love many of these games and put many hours into them yet I critizised them heavily beforehand or afterwards. So some of these are hate-love-hate-love-affairs, but I would replay all of them...

(in no particular order)

Final Fantasy X
I played the heck out of that game as it was my first PS2 game, then disliked it some time for being kind of linear and some of the characters and story choices were obnoxious to me. Nevertheless bought it a second time in the japanese-complete-with-english version and played it again. Fun overall gameplay and rpg system >> laughing scene/minigames for ultimate weapons/linearity (and probably the reason I like XIII as well - felt like they took everything good as well as bad about X to the extreme)

Persona 3
Introduced me to SMT. In retrospective, the pacing is horrible at times, but the overall gameplay, ideas, story and connection to the world within the game make it one of the most memorable RPGs I ever played (thankfully, most issues I had with this game were adressed with P4 and P3P).

Shadow of the Colossus
My roommate told me that game was superb after I ignored it for a while since I thought "Only bossbattles => boring" (bossbattles tend to be my least favorite part in many games). Glad I listened to her opinion and got it - Atmosphere and the "The boss is the level"-thing really worked for me. Controls and framerate are a bit iffy, but the game's still godtier IMO.

Katamary Damacy
I can't find anything that wasn't fun about this game of rolling things up. As some others in this thread, I got it for cheap and played it over and over again. This game makes me smile and happy all the time, something only few other games achieve (insert stealth-JetSetRadio-post here).

Devil May Cry 3
I bashed this game since I played Ninja Gaiden before and thought DMC3 wasn't as good as NG. Then I played it some more. And more. Now I love it.

King of Fighters XI
Apart from the "low res sprites with high res background"-issue that makes this game look a bit strange at times, it is one of the best 2D-Fightinggames I ever played and certainly the best KoF IMO. Speed, complexity, characterrooster, OST are perfect.

Metal Gear Solid 3 Snake Eater
I loathed the stealth genre. I ignored every Metal Gear-game beforehand. This game made me a believer and also a Metal Gear-Fanboy. It's still my favorite MGS.

Dragon Quest VIII
I loved every minute of this old-school Toriyama-style RPG behemot. My first DQ. Can't imagine a second playthrough though :/ (not after IV and IX took my heart :D)

Tenchu 3 Wrath of Heavens
It felt right. I know I stated I loathed stealth games back then, but it had Ninjas and I really was into Ninjas back then :D Also a really nice game, even though nowadays I have to admit it's a bit less groundbraking then Tenchu 2.

These are 9 games, I know. I still have ZoE1&2, DMC1, FFXIIm Yakuza 2, Nocturne and more waiting to be played through and as of now, I couldn't really say which one of these would be my favorite :D Also, I tried to only list one game per franchise even though I also enjoyed FFX-2, MGS2, We <3 Katamari, Persona 4 and others.

Yuterald

Making a top 10 PS2 list to me seems like an impossible task. In no particular order I'll make a top 10 RPG list and a top 10 non-RPG list for PS2. It's just too difficult to make an overall list.

Top 10 RPGs:
561476_52989.jpg
929933_74691.jpg
918799.jpg
929668_69696.jpg
dual_box.jpg

kingsfield_boxshot.jpg
shadowhearts_boxshot.jpg
931102_75106.jpg
920605_62897.jpg
forever_boxshot.jpg

Top 10 Non-RPGs
klonoa2_boxshot.jpg
contra_box.jpg
374451_50677.jpg
932558_74690.jpg
930014_72475.jpg

589770.jpg
920500_54203.jpg
919760_36721.jpg
924655_59069.jpg
924364_58450.jpg

Easy for me. These are by far the most I spent time with and would still play today.

Winning Eleven 6
Winning Eleven: Pro Evolution Soccer 2007
NCAA Football 2003
NCAA Football 2008
SOCOM 3
ATV Offroad Fury 2
Hot Shots Golf Fore!
Metal Gear Solid 2
Star Wars Battlefront
Mercenaries

Pachimari

These are the ones who pop up instantly in my mind:

Jak & Daxter: The Precursor Legacy
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
Tekken Tag Tournament
Final Fantasy X
The Getaway
Winning Eleven 9/10

I could go on with honorable mentions though, MGS3, ICO, TimeSplitters 2, Okami, Devil May Cry 3, Final Fantasy XII etc.

Yuterald

Oh man, I forget to put in Yakuza 2 in my list. See, it's impossible, lol!. These kinds of lists fluctuate depending on mood/season for me too. =)

SeigO

Banned
I'd mostly go with rpg's since I spent the most time on them.

Dark Cloud 1/2
Final Fantasy X
SMT: Nocturne
Persona 4
Radiata Stories
Katamari series
Monster Rancher 4
Kessen
Dynasty Tactics 2
Disgaea

box-l-eu.jpg

God of War - I felt this was the best in the series by a long shot (GOW II was shit). the pacing was the most consistent, the gameplay was at its purest, and the difficulty was well tuned. the story was also straightforward and to the point, and didn't overstay its welcome like the other games in the series did. the deus ex machina was also acceptable, unlike its sequels which went on to milk the supernatural rather than Kratos just being badass. artistic direction was sublime and it technologically pushed the PS2 to its limits. imo, the entire Hydra opening is a classic gaming moment that will be remembered for a long time.

Metal_Gear_Solid_2_Substance_Dvd-1.jpg

Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance - easily the best game in the franchise, superseding even the original and the supposed GAF favourite MGS3. This was the last true technobabble MGS imo that didn't try to oversell itself with bullshit explanations and nonsensical plot points. It put a lot of questions out there that made you think (which sadly MGS4 felt the need to answer) and developed the series characters moreso than any other game. other boons were 60fps, PS2 pushing visuals with a timeless art style... and superior gameplay due to the replay value imposed by dog tags, an Extreme mode that wasn't gimped, and much more genuine sneaking (not monitoring some camouflage percentage to get by every situation). the Substance version is of particular note because of the oodles of extra content. from a boss standpoint, you also cannot beat a fat man on rollerblades, a harrier jump jet, or the sword fight against the tengus in Arsenal Gear.

shadow-of-the-colossus-box.jpg

Shadow of the Colossus - flawed as it might be, SotC was genuinely one of the most beautiful games I ever played. the story came together to create one of the most memorable endings I have seen, and still regularly debate the meaning of. sometimes the controls can't quite keep up, but I got what they were trying to achieve with making the player physically carry out every single action with the controller, as opposed to just 'press X to win' (fuck you, Bioware). the best part of SotC however is just the epic thrill of fighting the colossi that no other game has bettered, and it does this through a combination of its pacing, the glorious soundtrack, the feeling of the unknown and also the mystery of just how the fuck you take down a 500m tall walking landmass. they are by far the best bosses ever committed to disc.

GrandTheftAutoViceCityBoxArt.jpg

Grand Theft Auto: Vice City - a tough call to make between this slice of 80s nostalgia and its successor, the biggest most content rich game I have ever played. but nostalgia wins out - Vice City made the 80s cool once again (no easy feat, thanks to dem shoulder pads) and instilled such a massive cultural throwback in today's children. it was the game to finally solidify GTA's popularity in 3D imo, but more importantly it got people I know listening to Blondie and Iron Maiden again.

+GT4_Box_Cover.jpg

Gran Turismo 4 - sadly the final good game Polyphony made. it's utterly pathetic that GT5 could never live up to the legacy of GT4, but perhaps that is more a testament to how great this game is rather than how much of a colossal failure GT5 was. there is something strangely alluring about the car lineup that I can't quite put my finger on (cool things like the official yellow GT4 350Z, Leno's tank car and the Wagon 1886). all is represented with PS2 pushing visuals, beautiful tracks and tons of content. the physics felt really right too (maybe not fully realistic, but I felt that GT4 had the most satisfying sense of turning momentum). and for a change, the European soundtrack was actually not too bad for a racing game.

Manhunt.jpg

Manhunt - here's a copy pasta from an earlier post I made: "The original Manhunt is a classic and one of the best horror games ever made, if not the best; it is also one of the most important game releases this century. It is vile, genuinely unnerving, with a perfectly grim atmosphere that speaks to our depraved souls. In terms of immersion it is still leagues ahead of many games today - forget your Wiimotes and 3D, you cannot get a more convincing experience than hearing Brian Cox hiss through your headset as your controller rumbles in time with Cash's heartbeat. It also managed to back up every sick thing it did with sound reasoning - the exploitative camera angles as you sickle a thug's ballsack were not there out of perversion, they were there because you were inadvertently the star of a snuff movie. It all made so much sense, which is something that can't be said for the exploding meat factories that other games are. It's a funny thing since the game is often unfairly stereotyped as such. There was also the moral dilemma of feeling sorry for Cash; despite the fact that Cash could have done anything to be on death row like molest kids or murder old people, you still felt like he got a shit deal and felt bad for what he had to go through."

919760_56760_front.jpg

Shadow of Rome - coming off the back of my Manhunt praises, this really does seem like the sort of juvenile meat factory that I was talking about (and with being able to slice a man's arm off in a highly comedic fashion and then beat him to death with it, it is a game which is thoroughly proud of this moniker). it is probably one of the most fun games i have ever played, partly due to the gore, but also because of the excellent combat system which revolves around careful weapon management (they break often), and an interesting scoring system in which you must appeal to the crowd after performing a massive combo. running on the onimusha 3 engine, graphically it was great and the story was sort of interesting if a little too influenced by Gladiator (but really is that a bad thing?). the only letdown was the shitty stealth sections which were the norm in 2004/5.

main.jpg

Onimusha: Warlords - another Capcom great, I fondly remember this because it was one of my first PS2 games. It visually blew me away at the time - it was the first attempt at making a 'next-gen' pre-rendered game, so naturally it was jaw dropping compared to the other 3D efforts around it. I also loved the traditional historical Japanese aesthetics which few other games seem to touch (everything always has to be 'stylised' or 'alternative' now with robots and shit). but it's the gameplay and story that kept bringing me back all these years. it is a genuinely good hack and slash game in the Resident Evil style that we all love. the orb collection was a fun mechanic (which many games later aped) and contributed to the grander scheme of trying to get all the weapons levelled up by the end. while cheesy, I did rather enjoy the save the princess plot - simple, but effective. I will always remember the CG intro movie as one of the best in gaming.

PS2_Role_Play_Persona_4_339506.jpg

Persona 4 - probably the most enjoyable JRPG that I played on the PS2, although I didn't particularly find it to be the 'golden age' that people revered it as: that honor was bestowed upon the 32-bit generation. I'm not going to lie - I did not finish this (but will some day), but the time that I spent with it was the most enjoyable of any JRPG in recent memory. The characters were all brilliant and avoided falling into the typical stereotypes that the genre (*cough* Square Enix) is known for. it was a thoroughly refreshing murder mystery experience that I cannot wait to get to the bottom of when I have more time. the 60 hour length, while appealing to some, is in fact a turn off when time limited.

1039634-gb_large.png

Red Dead Revolver - probably the biggest reason why I was initially sceptical about Redemption was because Revolver was such a superb game in its own right. For a long time it was the best Wild West game ever made because of its style, grandiose dialogue and of course being one of the best third-person shooters last gen. It was one of the earliest games to ever implement a full cover system (take that, Gears), and that coupled with bullet time and quick draws made it such a well rounded package that only really Vanquish has topped in all areas since. And thankfully Redemption turned out to be a different yet amazing beast itself, so it didn't sully Revolver's reputation.

mattp

(not listing re4 cuz it would be on my gamecube list)

mgs2
mgs3
god of war 2
silent hill 2
ico
shadow of the colossus
code veronica x
yakuza 2
katamari damacy
we <3 katamari

urbanreignjm6b.png
shinobiukel.png
neocontra4kei.png
maximov81k.png
gradiusve834.png
godhandkk6b.png
globaldefenceforcehmud.png
contrashatteredsoldierbmik.png
breathoffiredragonquarxj0v.png
yakuzabk3k.png
yakuza2nkvl.png

oh wait that's 11 already. favourite part of the ps2 was just how incredibly many awesome AWESOME mid to low budget action games and brawlers there were. I have to namedrop some more stuff; Nightshade, Bujingai Swordmaster, Blood Will Tell, Beat Down Fists of Vengeance, Urban Chaos Riot Response, Nanobreaker (not joking, I like it), The Warriors, Mortal Kombat Shaolin Monks, Transformers, Rygar The Legendary Adventure, Way of the Samurai, Way of the Samurai 2, Zone of the Enders The 2nd Runner, Final Fight Streetwise (not joking, I like it), Cold Winter

edit: oh yeah and there would be even more games if I was counting stuff that was on multiple consoles. I consider killer7, resident evil 4 and so on to be gamecube games. and red dead revolver at least as a xbox1 game (just remembered it thanks to I NEED SCISSORS' post above). and I've got manhunt1 on pc :) bu bu bu. ps2 is cool

Yuterald

Joseph Merrick said:
urbanreignjm6b.png
shinobiukel.png
neocontra4kei.png
maximov81k.png
gradiusve834.png
godhandkk6b.png
globaldefenceforcehmud.png
contrashatteredsoldierbmik.png
breathoffiredragonquarxj0v.png
yakuzabk3k.png
yakuza2nkvl.png

oh wait that's 11 already. favourite part of the ps2 was just how incredibly many awesome AWESOME mid to low budget action games and brawlers there were. I have to namedrop some more stuff; Nightshade, Bujingai Swordmaster, Blood Will Tell, Beat Down Fists of Vengeance, Urban Chaos Riot Response, Nanobreaker (not joking, I like it), The Warriors, Mortal Kombat Shaolin Monks, Transformers, Rygar The Legendary Adventure, Way of the Samurai, Way of the Samurai 2, Zone of the Enders The 2nd Runner, Final Fight Streetwise (not joking, I like it), Cold Winter

edit: oh yeah and there would be even more games if I was counting stuff that was on multiple consoles. I consider killer7, resident evil 4 and so on to be gamecube games. and red dead revolver at least as a xbox1 game (just remembered it thanks to I NEED SCISSORS' post above). and I've got manhunt1 on pc :) bu bu bu. ps2 is cool

You sure you aren't my lost 2nd brother? lol! Seriously though, what you just said is one of the many reasons why I hold PS2 in such high regard. People took bigger risks back then and we got so many more interesting games because of it. I was completely obsessed with picking up and trying all those Japanese mid budget games (like Bujingai, Disaster Report, Galerians: ASH, Firefighter F.D 18). Personally, it was one of the most exciting and enjoyable times to be playing games.

Yuterald said:
You sure you aren't my lost 2nd brother? lol! Seriously though, what you just said is one of the many reasons why I hold PS2 in such high regard. People took bigger risks back then and we got so many more interesting games because of it. I was completely obsessed with picking up and trying all those Japanese mid budget games (like Bujingai, Disaster Report, Galerians: ASH, Firefighter F.D 18). Personally, it was one of the most exciting and enjoyable times to be playing games.
high five!

bradido

Ok, since there seems to be a pretty strong consensus, I am going to try 10 of my favorites no one has mentioned.

Magic Pengel
Eyetoy: Sega All Stars
Zombie vs. Ambulance
Earth Defense Force
Street Fighter EX 3
Rogue Galaxy
Chulip
Stella Deus
Samurai Showdown Anthology
I.Q. Remix+

Top Bottom