• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Our version at works finally activates (got the master last week, but since it's the EU version it's securom). Damn this game requires a monster PC, it's far from smooth in 1080p with ultra settings on a core i7@3.3 Ghz and a GTX570.

antonz

Blimblim said:
Our version at works finally activates (got the master last week, but since it's the EU version it's securom). Damn this game requires a monster PC, it's far from smooth in 1080p with ultra settings on a core i7@3.3 Ghz and a GTX570.
Ultra is intended for the 590 and 6990 at a minimum really

gillty

Banned
zlatko said:
By soon you mean the soonest is another 2 hours. :/ Shoulda not gone with Steam on this... they dropped the ball pretty big IMO with such a big PC game.

Edit: Oh that was 2 hours ago he posted that last bit. Well here's hoping it's soon for me in Nebraska. :(

ChrisD, Valve
"I've changed the timer to count down to 3 AM PDT instead of 10 AM...but that's completely arbitrary. If it's ready earlier I'll set it live earlier."
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=22454100&postcount=22

edit: also,

ChrisD, Valve
"SecuROM is not supposed to be in the build that we got...but it appears to be there. We expect an update soon that will remove it."
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=22453836&postcount=27

Exuro

Castor Krieg said:
Does it apply to all regions worldwide? Meaning e.g. I can load the game even if the counter will say something like 5 hours left?
The counter means jack squat. When the game goes live the counter will be removed. He said it'll take up to 2 hours so it may go up sooner than that.

Blimblim said:

Turn off UberSampling. I get 40-50 FPS with a 6970 on Ultra and even goes into 70-80FPS on in-game cut scenes.

Zeliard

Blimblim said:

I think the "Ultra" preset has ubersampling set at 2, which is probably what's really killing you there, unless you tweaked settings individually.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Damn i should have downloaded the game from the GOG downloader and not in the browser, haft to re-download the entire thing.;_;

Haft to wait a hour at least before i can start installing.;_;

Zeliard

Nezabyte said:
Uh, trying to install but just opens up VLC? No idea what to do.

Here:

Zeliard said:
Yeah it's the associations. You're gonna want to go to your Documents folder and into the GOG.com Downloads\witcher_2 folder, and manually execute the setup from there.

After that it checks the file integrity, which takes some more time, then finally the actual installer begins.

I'm roughly 75% through the installer.

Narag

Nezabyte said:
Uh, trying to install but just opens up VLC? No idea what to do.

Run the setup from the folder it was downloaded to according to others in the thread.

.bin files are associated with VLC on your computer.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Zeliard said:
I think the "Ultra" preset has ubersampling set at 2, which is probably what's really killing you there, unless you tweaked settings individually.
I'll take a look at that a bit later, thanks.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Didn't quite make it before midnight. Damn that install took forever!

Oh well, it's done now! See you all later.

Zeliard

Gully State said:
How do I download the digital artbook from GoG?

Should be available from your my games page where you started up the regular Witcher 2 download. If you scroll down that small downloads window you see all the bonus stuff.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Gully State said:
How do I download the digital artbook from GoG?

Go back to the GOG page and click "redownload" and it should open up the dialog box with all the different downloads.

I'm so gonna listen to the OST on my ipod when I go to bed 2night.

Downloading the final components now, 4 minutes on the download, only running at 500 kb/s then the install and I won't be talking that much for the rest of the night :D

All those extras are so big, it's all such awesome shit... wow :D

zlatko

Banned
Valru said:
ChrisD, Valve
"I've changed the timer to count down to 3 AM PDT instead of 10 AM...but that's completely arbitrary. If it's ready earlier I'll set it live earlier."
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=22454100&postcount=22

edit: also,

ChrisD, Valve
"SecuROM is not supposed to be in the build that we got...but it appears to be there. We expect an update soon that will remove it."
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=22453836&postcount=27

dropping_ball_1a.jpg

Zeliard

The artbook is fucking awesome, by the way, for the little I've been able to glance at so far.

And it's seriously meaty too @ 196 pages. Nice, high-resolution stuff.

Carm

Do you still have to register the game with a new account instead of the one you used for the first game? Unless I'm typing my login info wrong it's not working. I saw the post from this morning, I just assumed it would be fixed by now, from the wording.

Tokubetsu

Crisis averted y'all. Seems like I didn't have to redl the whole game. *whew* I was about ready to actually resemble my avatar.

pahamrick

Okay, here's a bit for ATI crossfire users.

Using the CompatAFR-1x1 profile I'm getting a solid 60fps in the opening part / prologue of the game with everything set to Ultra Spec but with Ubersampling disabled running crossfired 5870s.

I'm using RadeonPro with all settings default with the CompatAFR-1x1.exe profile. Everything works great, no graphical glitches and it's been rock solid. However, if I changed the option for Mipmap Quality from the default to High Quality it caused a weird flickering and stuttering effect.

Just a heads up for something fellow CFX users might want to try until ATI gets an official fix and profile out.

-Edit-

Figured I should point out I'm using the 11.5a hotfix drivers and the latest CAP release.

Xamdou

At what settings can I run the game on an I5-430M w/ Radeon 5870M 1GDDR5 ram, 4 GIG ram, windows 7 on 1080p resolution?

Snuggler said:
Yeah, installation is long.

but holy shit the OST is amazing

Yea, it is.

This game runs smooth as butter for me, wow. I've got a lot of mix-and-match settings going, turned off motion blur and what not. This game looks absolutely gorgeous.

Guess that theory about it running poorly on ATI is fucking bullshit!

Hawk269

Well just got back from Gamestop with my copy and installing disk 1 as I type this. Nice packaging, very nice. Only sad thing is that I was in a line with about 60 other gamers or so, I was the only one getting Witcher 2, the other 59 were for LA NOIRE. If High profile PC games sold as good as console games, we would have alot better games! Oh well...cant wait to start playing.

Zeliard

From the User.ini:

[MouseInput]
KeyboardCooldownSpeed=0.1
MouseDampX=7000
MouseDampY=7000
MouseSensitivityX=0.284615
MouseSensitivityY=0.177885
MouseSmoothness=1
SensitivityX=0.5
SensitivityY=0.5
Smoothness=1
UseMouseDamp=false

Gonna try changing the MouseSensitivityY there to a negative value and see what happens, whenever I get control in-game.

Hot diggity the papercraft are so funny!

Art book is incredible, damn I want this in physical form but I'm just glad to have the privileged of viewing this with my eyes!

Xamdou said:
At what settings can I run the game on an I5-430M w/ Radeon 5879M 1GDDR5 ram, 4 GIG ram, windows 7 on 1080p resolution?

I have a similar laptop, except I have a Core i7 720m with 6 GB of RAM.

A mix of High and Ultra is what you'll want. Textures on Ultra, maybe 2x AA.

Also, overclock your 5870M. I've got mine running at 840/1050 Core/RAM, stock is 700/1000.

You'll also want to overclock your CPU. My previous gaming laptop had an i5 430M as well, and it overclocks really well. Using ThrottleStop and SetFSB, I had it running @ 3.2 Ghz with all 4 cores @ 100% load. Stock max load hits about 2.5 Ghz on Turbo Boost.

ColonialRaptor said:
Hot diggity the papercraft are so funny!

Art book is incredible, damn I want this in physical form but I'm just glad to have the privileged of viewing this with my eyes!
I'm not touching the art book until I play the game, potential for spoilers is too high.

File combination at 90%

Xamdou

BoobPhysics101 said:
I have a similar laptop, except I have a Core i7 720m with 6 GB of RAM.

A mix of High and Ultra is what you'll want. Textures on Ultra, maybe 2x AA.

Also, overclock your 5870M. I've got mine running at 840/1050 Core/RAM, stock is 700/1000.

I'll most likely run the game on High since my processor is a dual-core, how does one go about overclocking the video card? Via catalyst?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom