• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MGS: Snake Eater 3DS - New Trailer [Update Rumor: Delayed?]

Guessing that the normal mapping was removed for budget rather than performance reasons, but this has very little reason to exist anymore.

Might be way too early but it would be hilarious if the 3DS fails and the Cafe is insanely popular. Come to think of it nintendo handhelds have always had the opposite success of their consoles save the Wii. But the DS does have like 60 million units on the Wii

Amir0x

Banned
Sho_Nuff82 said:
In Japan, the 3DS version will probably sell better just because it's portable.

And it's pretty funny that only Nintendo fans consider a game DOA because there's another version out there that's better, PS3 and 360 owners put up with it all the time across platforms or against the PC. If 3DS is the only console you own or you simply don't own a PS2/PS3/360/NGP, it's still a worthwhile purchase.

how many 3DS owners only own a 3DS?

Most of 3DS owners are early adopters, which are almost by definition those who own more than one platform

you've got to be referring to less than 5% of the entire userbase. I'm probably being generous

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
abstract alien said:
Only thing I even cared about from the start was the framerate. If its still below 60fps, Ill pass. It would have been nice to play in 3D though...guess I'll gamefly it if doesn't run more smoothly and see if the 3D can soothe me enough.
I really doubt this is going to be 60 fps.

TRANSFARRING (lol) version seriously takes the wind out of the sails, but MGS3 on a platform with a screen devoted to its million fucking menus in real-time still makes the soul burn.

heringer said:
Awesome, 3DS version gets the glorious face buttons aiming from Peace Walker.

well, the character didn't move around in the video. it could go either way. it's better to assume it will still be planting your feet to aim like MGS3, except you have a third person perspective option.

Kard8p3

So I'm guessing Cafe will also likely have the HD collection around launch and you can use transfarring between the 3DS version of 3 and the cafe version.

MPW

Spiegel said:
tsqUD.jpg

The japanese version doesn't include Peace Walker and still has the logo.

why isn't mgs 1 part of the collection? :(

Boney

Banned
Spiegel said:
http://i.imgur.com/tsqUD.jpg/IMG]

The [B]japanese [/B]version doesn't include Peace Walker and still has the logo.[/QUOTE]
why aren't they including PW in Japan? Sucks to be them

and well, phase 2 of transfering

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Father_Brain said:
Guessing that the normal mapping was removed for budget rather than performance reasons, but this has very little reason to exist anymore.
Very likely. They wanted it out ASAP.

EmCeeGramr said:
[...] MGS3 on a platform with a screen devoted to its million fucking menus in real-time still makes the soul burn.
Who cares about 3D or HD, this is the one reason to be interested in MGS3D.

MPW said:
why isn't mgs 1 part of the collection? :(
Because it would make MGS2 look too bad in comparison.

I think this is a dumb decision that Kojima Production decided to go with because it would just cost the sales for those who wanted to buy the game on 3DS, but also have either the PS3/360. Reminds me of what Capcom did with the Capcom 5. Might help them get more sales for the HD compilation, but it will cost them some sales of the 3DS version. I might end up getting this game, but I'll probably change my mind later on. Guess we'll find out if this was a dumb decision when the 3DS version releases. Yoshi makes the game better though! :D

Spiegel said:
tsqUD.jpg

The japanese version doesn't include Peace Walker and still has the logo.
That sucks for those getting the Japanese version I wonder why they didn't include MGS1 and portable ops.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
I honestly don't care if the game looks just like the PS2 version. I don't own a PS2, PS3, or a 360. This is the best version I can get my hands on, and I eagerly await its arrival.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Amir0x said:
they used to develop all their games for Nintendo platforms, so back then is when.

....KojiPro? Even when it was called KCEJ they didn't publish "all of their games" on Nintendo platforms. What has come out on a Nintendo platform? A Metal Gear port Kojima didn't work on, a sequel to MG that Kojima didn't work on, and Boktai. Oh yes, also an MGS port that Kojima didn't work on.

I fail to see how Kojima has any legacy with Nintendo.

Amir0x

Banned
MasterShotgun said:
I honestly don't care if the game looks just like the PS2 version. I don't own a PS2, PS3, or a 360. This is the best version I can get my hands on, and I eagerly await its arrival.

must hate games or something

Amir0x

Banned
thetrin said:
....KojiPro? Even when it was called KCEJ they didn't publish "all of their games" on Nintendo platforms. What has come out on a Nintendo platform? A Metal Gear port Kojima didn't work on, a sequel to MG that Kojima didn't work on, and Boktai. Oh yes, also an MGS port that Kojima didn't work on.

I fail to see how Kojima has any legacy with Nintendo.

Nah, my comment doesn't apply. I thought it said Konami not Kojima.

Yeah Kojima never cared about the platforms before.

Sianos

I assume they took an axe to the 3DS game's budget and graphics in order to support the other remake of the same game they were making?

Good job, Konami.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Amir0x said:
Nah, my comment doesn't apply. I thought it said Konami not Kojima.

Yeah Kojima never cared about the platforms before.
Fair enough. I thought I was in an alternate universe for a second.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Guess some characters have normal mapping but it's barely noticable since the lighting seems the same and it doesn't seem well done either. What about the frame rate? I noticed some chuggy moments in the trailer so that doesn't bode well unless it was just the video's issues. All in all it's a pretty poor offer now, couldn't they get MGS2 and PW ported when they decided to make that collection? Even if it was on 2 carts or something and thus slightly more expensive.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
WAIT

Does this mean I can make penis camo?

Does it?

GOTY

Big One

Banned
NSQuote said:
I assume they took an axe to the 3DS game's budget and graphics in order to support the other remake of the same game they were making?

Good job, Konami.
The HD Collections are ports, this is a remake. There are some reused assets but the game has gameplay similar to Peace Walker, for example, as shown in that one trailer and arguably in some cases this one. Basically MGS3 with a freely controlled camera I imagine. In a lot of ways, and whatever features they have in store for it, it's definitely more of a remake than a port.

Ridley327 said:
Oh what the fuck @ the screens.

Yeah they somehow managed to make the game look worse than on the PS2, let alone the tech demo from last year. The game is probably sent to die by Konami. Good excuse to bail on the 3DS early on.

Big One said:
The HD Collections are ports, this is a remake. There are some reused assets but the game has gameplay similar to Peace Walker, for example, as shown in that one trailer and arguably in some cases this one. Basically MGS3 with a freely controlled camera I imagine. In a lot of ways, and whatever features they have in store for it, it's definitely more of a remake than a port.

And those ports have most likely had a bigger staff, bigger budget and actually manage to look better than the original instead of worse

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Amir0x said:
er, is there a penis shot in the game?

You can only take shots of things in the game to camo yourself

Lame.

jett said:
holy shit this actually looks considerably worse than the PS2 game
Yeah it does. I had my reservations when I saw the trailer but I just assumed that I was remembering the PS2 game a bit too fondly, but the screens really expose this shitty port for what it is.

Big One

Banned
boris feinbrand said:
And those ports have most likely had a bigger staff, bigger budget and actually manage to look better than the original instead of worse
Probably not. Have you seen the screens that are out? There isn't any improved textures or models or anything, they're just scaled to HD.

Amir0x said:
how many 3DS owners only own a 3DS?

Most of 3DS owners are early adopters, which are almost by definition those who own more than one platform

you've got to be referring to less than 5% of the entire userbase. I'm probably being generous

Jaded Alyx said:
I'll probably get this. I've never played MGS3, and I don't own a PS2, PS3, or a 360.

It begins.

ombz

boris feinbrand said:
Yeah they somehow managed to make the game look worse than on the PS2, let alone the tech demo from last year. The game is probably sent to die by Konami. Good excuse to bail on the 3DS early on.

??? Is this a joke, it look EXACTLY the same as the first demo.

Amir0x said:
er, is there a penis shot in the game?

You can only take shots of things in the game to camo yourself

They showed that you can import real life pictures from the Photo channel, so yeah... penis camouflage would be possible...

Sianos

boris feinbrand said:

The worst (best?) part is seeing the 2010 trailer, and seeing how the new trailer looks much worse.

Either they intentionally butchered the game, or they just screwed up really bad.

I don't know which scenario is worse.

Amir0x

Banned
boris feinbrand said:
They showed that you can import real life pictures from the Photo channel, so yeah... penis camouflage would be possible...

wait really. I totally missed that!

Sorry EatChildren I must have turned my head when they showed that part @_o

although how would that even function properly...

ToD_

GJS said:
Resized screenshots, just because.

http://i.imgur.com/VXic3.jpg[/img]http://i.imgur.com/lxl1X.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/5fR4M.jpghttp://i.imgur.com/U8Yt1.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/1JYTc.jpghttp://i.imgur.com/fUvo6.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/YBxj9.jpghttp://i.imgur.com/DtWbp.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/DtWbp.jpghttp://i.imgur.com/8zkQV.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/JUCrk.jpghttp://i.imgur.com/4QGLm.jpg[/QUOTE]
Much better. Low on the poly count, but good otherwise.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Amir0x said:
It's your opinion. Why would it be noose worthy?

HD is factually more fundamental to both gameplay and visual appeal - even putting aside the horrendous 3D implementation of the 3DS fucked up autostereoscopic 3D technology - but you're allowed to think the sun is cold and that Camryn Manheim without any fear of moderation reprisal lol

Not to mention how infinitely superior MGS3 plays with a proper controller and all that. But you won't get banned for being wrong.

I didn't mean banned. Just flamed.

Though to the person above... control is a good point. I absolutely hated the way Peace Walker played on PSP, the main reason I stopped playing it. I think the touch screen here and slide pad would HELP, but yea, can't really compare to dual analogue. Hmm.

Foffy

Banned
boris feinbrand said:

I have a spooky feeling that many of the companies that got people excited for the 3DS might do something like this..

It's like with the Wii in a sense. These companies aren't even trying on Nintendo platforms anymore. Will the 3DS suffer from Nintendo console drought?

kinggroin

Banned
Magicpaint said:
Yeah it does. I had my reservations when I saw the trailer but I just assumed that I was remembering the PS2 game a bit too fondly, but the screens really expose this shitty port for what it is.

Maybe my memory is suffering, but I'm sure this looks a little better than the ps2 version. I don't recall ANY normal mapping on the og. Not that I care anymore anyway. This Is a considerable downgrade from the original demo.

Top Bottom