• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MGS: Snake Eater 3DS - New Trailer [Update Rumor: Delayed?]

Serenade said:
QUAN8.jpg
M3ycC.jpg

j6tDu.jpg
KYke6.jpg

http://www.konami.jp/mgs_se/jp/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOr6W0U5_1A

Rewind

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7sD0jDrPOs

It's been a year since we got to watch the Metal Gear Solid Snake Eater 3D demo at E3 2010, and it's been all quiet from there. Today, news finally broke at Konami's pre-E3 press conference. While the full Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater game is included and still putting you in the boots of Naked Snake, the 2011 version is making use of its brand new platform's bells and whistles.

"Photo-Camo" will allow players to take a photo with the 3DS camera and use that image as in-game camouflage for Snake's outfit. No word on how this'll affect gameplay as the original game was big on matching the right camo with the right situation.

Another addition are parts of the game making use of the 3DS' gyro-sensor (the doodad in the handheld that can tell if it's being titled). When Snake comes to a narrow bridge or tree he needs to shimmy across, players will need to tilt their 3DS' to mimic Snake's balance. Otherwise, he'll fall to an untimely death.

The end of the Metal Gear Solid Snake Eater 3D trailer also showed Snake stumble upon a Yoshi figurine. Is this a one of the Metal Gear Solid franchise's famous gags or a hint of a tie-in similar to Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence's Ape Escape content? We'll have to wait and see.

http://uk.ds.ign.com/articles/117/1172213p1.html

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
Just a port of the PS2 version.

Couldn't be arsed to overhaul the thing in the vein of the demonstraion from last year.

Fuck

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Serenade said:

Couldn't be arsed to overhaul the thing in the vein of the demonstraion from last year.

Fuck
Really disappointing. The Naked Sample looked much, much better.

f@luS

More than a member.
camouflage thing looks funny

but.....

ill get MGS HD collection...so i dont think ill play mgs3 , 2 times

:(

Serenade said:

Fuck

yeah, last year's stuff left me hopeful. seems like it was a bunch of misleading bs.

and with the HD collection, I don't see a reason to get this version.

Chinner

Banned
I was looking forward to this last year because it looked like they were actually taking advantage of the hardware using the PW engine with new textures. Now it is obvious that it's just an (uglier) PS2 port.

I'll get the HD version instead assuming they haven't cut out the theme.

This would have been a bit more compelling if not for the announced HD collection. We'll wait and see if there are any more original features but I'm not hopeful. I can already see that taking pics of things to get the camouflage would be a pain.

Amir0x

Banned
well with the HD collection now I'm not sure why I need this. Kinda weird they'd announce two MGS3 ports at the same time.

What new areas are they adding to this version? Camouflage photo system is the only one that seems neat I guess

Vamphuntr

Photo camo is a nice idea but yeah it doesn't look like their tech demo from last year at all. It looks the same as the PS2 games. I won't get a 3DS for while. HD Collection will be a better value.

Ridley327

evilromero said:
This would have been a bit more compelling if not for the announced HD collection. We'll wait and see if there are any more original features but I'm not hopeful. I can already see that taking pics of things to get the camouflage would be a pain.
It's already been confirmed that stuff like crouch-walking and being able to equip stuff directly from the touch screen are in the 3DS version. Not sure if they'll be adding any gameplay improvements to the HD collections, so you may yet be able to relive the joy of having to hold three different buttons to aim a rifle properly.

heringer

Amir0x said:
well with the HD collection now I'm not sure why I need this. Kinda weird they'd announce two MGS3 ports at the same time.

What new features are they adding to this version?
Dumb things like taking pictures to make new camo and giro to throw Snake out of balance.

Fuck you Konami.

Amir0x said:

What new features are they adding to this version? Camouflage photo system is the only one that seems neat I guess

there is third person aiming now, peace walker style. you briefly see it in the video.

plus, uh, you shoot yoshi instead of kerotan?

Nintendo could be in real trouble if 3rd parties just keep porting things over and just using the 3d aspect as the main selling point. The same thing has happened with RE: Rev.

The big N has always dominated in the hand held space but if Vita is reasonable priced, there could be a changing of the guard. This is all very early and speculative of course, but I can't see the few big 1st party titles moving enough systems to outsell the DS or any of it's iterations.

Leckan

This looks nothing like the original trailer. Where's all the fancy shaders and improved character models?

All I can say is fuck yeah - it may be a port, but that is acceptable in my eyes in the same vein as the Ocarina of Time port is acceptable. Just the thought of having these masterpieces in my pocket makes me moist.

I really do hope there is the option to play with fixed camera angles, or proper touch screen camera control. Something tells me that we won't get either though..

ZoddGutts

Linkzg said:
there is third person aiming now, peace walker style. you briefly see it in the video.

plus, uh, you shoot yoshi instead of kerotan?

You also get to use only one stick controller this time. Now that's hardcore!

Ridley327 said:
It's already been confirmed that stuff like crouch-walking and being able to equip stuff directly from the touch screen are in the 3DS version. Not sure if they'll be adding any gameplay improvements to the HD collections, so you may yet be able to relive the joy of having to hold three different buttons to aim a rifle properly.
Let me just say that I don't like this idea of having the weapons/items on the touch screen. One of the things I felt helps MGS games is having that moment of respite to select your weapon and take a breath before the shit hits the fan.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Still looks fine, but is severely underwhelming compared to the gorgeous Naked Snake trailer.

Hopefully this is not a sign of how the 3DS is going to be handled at E3.

Whats the point of the gyro controls when theres hardly any such sequences actually in the game? Assume they are going to toss in a bunch of gimmick scenarios just to make use of it?

Ridley327

evilromero said:
Let me just say that I don't like this idea of having the weapons/items on the touch screen. One of the things I felt helps MGS games is having that moment of respite to select your weapon and take a breath before the shit hits the fan.
And let me just say that I don't like loading.

Amir0x

Banned
heringer said:
Dumb things like taking pictures to make new camo and giro to throw Snake out of balance.

Fuck you Konami.

Ah. Yeah...

Well I was never much interested in a game I own three times in three different versions but this definitely killed it once and for all :p

wrowa

Well, as I've said several days ago already, it seems as if KojiPro just tries to get that game out of the door as soon as possible. It's a job, nothing more, nothing less.

It's quite telling that the game wasn't part of the KojiPro part of Konami's "press conference".

dkeane

Looking forward to this. Never played the original and it seems they're adding in features beyond just 3D.

Neiteio

I never played MGS3 and portables suit me better at the moment, so this looks great... EXCEPT for the forced gyro balancing. WTF! That shit was needlessly cumbersome in the original Uncharted and it will be the same here. Makes even less sense to see Snake struggling to balance crossing a friggin' wide-open rope bridge than seeing Drake wobble on a mossy log...

Still, the game looks great. I hope the final product is a bit more vibrant, and of course it'd be swell to see more detail poured into the models and shaders like we saw in last year's demo. We'll see.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
Vanille said:
That gyro shit better be optional.
This whole game is optional.

For whatever reason, they decided to not go with the revamped look and there's really not much reason outside of portability to get this version over the HD Collection.

eat a dick, capcom. eat a whole bag of em.

Will probably get this and the HD collection.

MGS3 is one of my favorite games ever. The only question for me is if I'm only getting the HD collection for one system or both.

Doesn't even look as good as the PS2 version or as cool as the earlier previews. Real disappointing, but I no longer feel the rush to buy a 3DS now.

Top Bottom