• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MGS: Snake Eater 3DS - New Trailer [Update Rumor: Delayed?]

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
WonkersTHEWatilla said:
Aside from the aliasing I don't see much difference in these. ???
There are lots more polygons in the "lies" note the shoulder pads' smoothness for an obvious part.

Alextended said:
There are lots more polygons in the "lies" note the shoulder pads' smoothness for an obvious part.

The textures are also worse (note the buckles across his chest) and there seems to be SSAO/more shadows on the armor in the bullshot.

jett

D-Member
HOW ABOUT THAT METAL GEAR SOLID GAME HUH

metal-gear-solid-3-snake-eater-ps2-002.jpg

oops! so 3DS version isn't that bad? I thought it was supposed to look better!

ok, so some worse shots of PS2 version, it definitely doesn't look much better than what we have seen of the 3DS version:

CPknq.jpg

CuYQx.jpg

b9X2i.jpg

sNxAC.jpg

zzve4.jpg

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
PdotMichael said:
yeah, I like games with bigger levels and more than 2 enemies at the same time.
So you've seen a whole Revelations "level" now, have you? We've just seen a few rooms with seamless door transitions (as if they'd go back to the Resident Evil 1 style with load at every door) and a couple more areas. Where have you seen the max amount of enemies possible? The game's going for the horror twist, gunning down hordes like nothing as in RE5 doesn't tend to achieve that. Still, the dogs part alone in the GamesCom demo had more than 2 of them so you're both judging a whole game out of a few glimpses, essentially guessing that outside those glimpses it turns to shit in every way, from loading to whatever, and also forgetting parts of what there is to see of it. Keep it up!

yeah, I like games with bigger levels and more than 2 enemies at the same time.
seems that's not your only gripe with RE:R. And it is not as if we have seem much open area shots of MGS 3DS version.

nice, how you post RE:R bullshots
compression is really bad, but it doesn't look that being bullshots were something to complain about:

Ya3VD.jpg

UO6QM.jpg

WU6ya.jpg

FV52C.jpg

WonkersTHEWatilla said:
Aside from the aliasing I don't see much difference in these. ???
Hint: Polycount, it's like saying OoT looks similar to TP.

You have a game with the capability to render bellow-average PS2 character models posing as capable of rendering almost-HD models (and I just don't say HD because the texture resolution in those models isn't there.

But you prove my point to an extent, the regular consumer doesn't even notice (not meant as an insult in any way or form)

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
lostinblue said:
I measured the 640x480 official screenshots with bars when I wrote that, the image seems to be 640x390. Seeing they have the correct SD resolution and the bars intact I have to insist.

I could go and take screenshots but I believe it doesn't support USB Gecko.
No need, here're a couple walking fiend posted earlier (first one actually being an fb grab):

0Np1i.jpg

UKrDM.jpg

Not really sure where you're going.

I know what's LOD pop is (zelda OoT and Mario 64 on the N64 lol)

But really, it's not a question of how close you are here, the cutscene models are different, they faces are way more detailed because they have to be able to display way more facial animations than ingame.

And in FFX they get swapped not because they're close to the screen but because the damn game was trying to pull models so detailed for the engine that it can only handle a max of 3 of them. So other characters had to look like crap when they appeared next to them. Square-Enix grotesque decision making style.
Ah, my apologies then, you were actually referring to another thing. Perhaps the 'mass effect' observed in some games? ; )

Re cutscene models, I'm still not sure what you're referring to: detailness of facial animations is usually a function of bones/morph targets complexity, which are things you really can't tell from looking at 'idle' expressions (eg. the one seen during gameplay). You may have the exact same LOD of the facial mesh in two cases, but just because one of them expresses something and the other stares blankly does not mean these are different meshes.

Perhaps you can say that some facial animations seen in RE4's cutscenes work only with the top-most LODs, and I would not argue against that, but claiming there's some dedicated cutscene LOD which is not just a high-level LOD from the regular LOD chain of a mesh, implies one thing I would definitely argue against: LOD in cut scenes never drops from that supposed 'cutscene-premium-level' LOD (as opposed to the LOD logic doing its business as usual), which would be plain wasteful unless all cutscenes ever did was showing that mesh up front.

Spiegel

lostinblue said:
Hint: Polycount, it's like saying OoT looks similar to TP.

You have a game with the capability to render bellow-average PS2 character models posing as capable of rendering almost-HD models
(and I just don't say HD because the texture resolution in those models isn't there.

But you prove my point to an extent, the regular consumer doesn't even notice (not meant as an insult in any way or form)

Nah, the cutscene models on Crisis Core were (almost) that good. Polycount-wise they look the same to me besides of those pointy shoulder pads.

Youtube captures:

ohFpX.png

crisis-core-final-fantasy-vii-20080318013013427_640w.jpg

ACD0W.png

Still, as you pointed those were some pretty big bullshots. The ones from RE:R seem to "only" add AA and higher resolution.

I guess now we know why it was delayed? So that they could add support for the second analog stick?

This game would probably benefit a ton and if I was a 3DS owner I wouldn't call the MGS HD Collection version clearly superior now because the controls on the 3DS version will be much better since it will play more like MGS4 than MGS3.

Top Bottom