• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge 229 (new format) scores, features, Hitman cover

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Anerythristic said:
Every single time I see scores from Edge I can't shake the feeling that they have genres they like and genres they don't like and they score them accordingly.

Keep in mind I have not played the Witcher 2 and hated the first Infamous but I am speaking as someone that would be considering the pros and cons of subscribing to the magazine, that is really how they come off to me.
I think that's a pretty accurate assessment honestly.

WRPGs:
Witcher 2 - 6
Fallout 1 - 6
Fallout 3 - 7
Fallout: New Vegas - 6
TES III: Morrowind - 6
Diablo I - 7
Diablo II - 6
Dragon Age: Origins - 5
Arcanum - 5
The Witcher - 5
Vampire: Bloodlines - 6
Mass Effect - 7
Temple Of Elemental Evil - 4

Ha an Edge thread.

Woah! My favourite game only gets an XXX instead of the 11/10 it deserves!!!!!
/Rage

Gotta love these threads...

Dina said:
I'm not complaining about the 6, I'm complaining about the 3 point difference vs Dirt 3 and TW 2.
"So basically x > y" is frowned upon here.

Dirt 3 has gotten universal praise btw.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
MMaRsu said:
Haha a six is not 'great'.

It's 'competent'.
I know that much. A mag says your game is above average.

People in this thread treat it like bomba. You apparently can't give a positive review on anything anymore without it it being an 8 or 9 on any scale, that's the problem I see here.

mclem

enzo_gt said:
ITT: People who don't understand Edge's rating scale. A 6 is great.

I think you'll find that a 6 is six.

Time Extend is gone...

Now *this*, this bothers me. Like the reviews or not, the articles are great, and the time extend series was particularly fantastic.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
NemesisPrime said:
Ha an Edge thread.

Woah! My favourite game only gets an XXX instead of the 11/10 it deserves!!!!!
/Rage

Gotta love these threads...

I'd give them a 6.

Their TW2 was a surprsingly terrible read and it contains some factual errors. It reads like they were going to give it a 3. The reviewer took issue with it not running well on his computer, that's some petty shit.

Detox

Yeah, they haven't really reviewed WRPG's well. Add DA2 - 7 and that list just doesn't look right.

I'm still confused why they got Leigh Alexander has she written anything good? All I know is she ruined Giantbomb at E3 once upon a time.

1-D_FTW

enzo_gt said:

People in this thread treat it like bomba. You apparently can't give a positive review on anything anymore without it it being an 8 or 9 on any scale, that's the problem I see here.

Actually, they do this. As long as it's UK based.

I think the accepted consensus (some people are obviously free to disagree) is that Dirt 2 is superior to 3. With all the issues I've seen with 3, there's no way in hell the game deserves a 9.

Salacious Crumb

enzo_gt said:
ITT: People who don't understand Edge's rating scale. A 6 is great.

The review certainly didn't make it sound great. I fucking hate being 'that guy', but all his issues with the game, apart from the combat and the odd difficulty curve, seemed rather nit picky. It would be easy to make any game seem bad by picking on the little faults intrinsic to just about all videogames.

Wallach

toasty_T said:
Their TW2 was a surprsingly terrible read and it contains some factual errors. It reads like they were going to give it a 3. The reviewer took issue with it not running well on his computer, that's some petty shit.

I didn't read anything like that in his review. All it says is that the game's visuals come at the expense of performance at "middling PCs", which seems like a pretty fair comment.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Aaron said:
Who gives Morrowind a six? Honestly! What are your standards for the genre?

They... have no such standards.

MNightShibblydoobob.jpg

Nirolak said:

That is simply what I mean. Would I read an Edge review for a racing game or action platformer before I spent $60.00, yes in a heartbeat.

Would I avoid the Edge review for my WRPG, Dungeon Crawler needs, without a doubt

That is just me, but I do love loot fests and WRPGs

I never played the Witcher but I finished the Witcher 2 last night and I loved every second. I am really surprised by the review they gave it. It is like they focused so much on the few negatives, and missed out on all the great things about it.

El-Suave

CD Projekt knows how to deal with Edge scores:
4u8j6s.jpg

(from their recent press conference)

Nirolak said:

WRPGs:
Witcher 2 - 6
Fallout 1 - 6
Fallout 3 - 7
Diablo I - 7
Diablo II - 6
Arcanum - 5
The Witcher - 5
Mass Effect - 7

0279_0mna.gif

MMaRsu

Banned
enzo_gt said:

Infamous 2 and the witcher 2 are really good though, as far as I've seen and heard.

Leonsito

Nirolak said:

WRPGs:
Witcher 2 - 6
Fallout 1 - 6
Fallout 3 - 7

Diablo I - 7
Diablo II - 6
Arcanum - 5
The Witcher - 5
Mass Effect - 7

What the hell... WHAT THE HELL

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
1-D_FTW said:
Actually, they do this. As long as it's UK based.

I think the accepted consensus (some people are obviously free to disagree) is that Dirt 2 is superior to 3. With all the issues I've seen with 3, there's no way in hell the game deserves a 9.
I would probably agree with the DiRT assessment.

I just don't know how an above average numerical review translates into a below average one in people's heads. And if the written review reads differently from the numerical score anyways, why even care for the numerical one at all if you value the written bit much more anyways?

@MMaRsu I personally value written/player reviews over numbers anyways. I understand disagreement in placing and relative judgment of how good a game is, but disagree with the "ONLY A 6?! THATS BAD!" kind of reactions to these scores.

Mr_Zombie

I wonder how many people will complain about W2 score without reading the review.
While I don't agree with the score, and the things mentioned in the review didn't bothered me, I can understand why the reviewer thought the game deserves it.

Cyberia

Detox said:
I don't think they get WRPG's.
Mass Effect - 7/10
Jade Empire - 7/10
KotOR - 9/10
Baldur's Gate 2 - 8/10
The Witcher - 5/10
Morrowind - 6/10
Oblivion - 8/10
Fallout 3 - 7/10
Diablo - 7/10
Diablo II - 6/10
Dragon age: Origins - 5/10
Mass Effect 2 - 10/10

They gave Mass Effect 2 a 9.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
WRPGs:
Witcher 2 - 6
Fallout 1 - 6
Fallout 3 - 7
Diablo I - 7
Diablo II - 6
Arcanum - 5
The Witcher - 5
Mass Effect - 7

Are these that crazy? The majority were rated as above average, and as far as I can see, most of those games were expansive but full of bugs and clunky game design. EDGE is frequently inconsistent and some of their reviewers are less restrained than others, but I don't think you can say they 'don't get' WRPGs. They are normally extremely janky games.

StuBurns

Banned
So is TW2 a console exclusive? That's a pretty big deal, their biggest exclusive this generation probably, I don't get why MS didn't feature it in their conference.

T Ghost

Edge scores reflects only one aspect of the games: The execution of the games innovative ideas. They have no understanding of fun, execution of concept and several other qualities that the media has to it's public. It's kinda like a cynic musician's review of pop music.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
StuBurns said:
So is TW2 a console exclusive? That's a pretty big deal, their biggest exclusive this generation probably, I don't get why MS didn't feature it in their conference.
Are you saying The Witcher 2 is MS's biggest console exclusive this gen?

Far, far from it if so.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
TW2 has gotten a ton of great scores and Skyrim is its only competition for PC GOTY. I wouldn't worry about it.

Aeana

StuBurns said:
I thought they hinted that a PS3 version might come eventually.
EDIT: Right here

Mr_Zombie

StuBurns said:
They haven't even mentioned anything about the cloud save feature. They had to show you all those Kinect stuff instead.

I thought that Edge reviews were normally just written by the same people who write reviews for the rest of the uk future mags only with the cloak of anonymity shielding them from backlash. But they have always had a heavy bias towards console titles.

Here are some RPGs that have made the grade according to Edge.

Neverwinter Nights - 9
Deus Ex - 9
Ultima VIII - 9
Lands of Lore - 8

StuBurns

Banned
enzo_gt said:
Gears of War? Or is that considered second party?
There's no such thing as second party, that's what people say to say the publisher doesn't own the studio. Gears is first party, as was Mass Effect 1. But apparently it's not exclusive, so never mind.

I thought what I played of the first TW was pretty poor, and I'm excited about the second one, but I tend to agree with Edge a lot, so I'm very disappointed by the score personally.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
More Fun To Compute said:
I thought that Edge reviews were normally just written by the same people who write reviews for the rest of the uk future mags only with the cloak of anonymity shielding them from backlash. But they have always had a heavy bias towards console titles.

Here are some RPGs that have made the grade according to Edge.

Neverwinter Nights - 9
Deus Ex - 9
Ultima VIII - 9
Lands of Lore - 8

Oh dear god at the Ultima and NWN review.

Dina

Sho_Nuff82 said:
"So basically x > y" is frowned upon here.

Dirt 3 has gotten universal praise btw.

X > Y is only frowned upon by me when I believe Y is the greater game. Witcher 2 got almost universally praised as well. Metacritic sees a 0.0 point difference between the games, yet EDGE sees a three point difference?

In any case, it's not that surprising, really. I haven't trusted EDGE scores since ever. Awful reviewing magazine.

edit: Looking at the WRPG scores, further substantiates my proof that the 6 is deflated. Either they score the WRPG's too high or way too low.

Top Bottom