• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge 229 (new format) scores, features, Hitman cover

Scores
LA Noire 8
Infamous 2 6
Child of Eden 8
Brink 6
Witcher 2 6
El Shaddai: Ascension of the metatron 8
Dirt 3 9
Bangai HD: Missile Fury 8
Dead of Alive Dimension 7

Features
Hitman
Skyrim
Future technology

Previewed
Deus Ex
Resistance 3
Bodycount
Pixeljunk Sidescroller
Starhawk
From dust
Dark Souls
Zelda 3DS
Inversion

New shit
Columnists, Leigh Alexander, Steven Poole and Clement Ohio. Randy and Cliff are still there.
Initial impressions: I like the new slimmer format (more like Wired), the paper is still nice. It is definitely more all over the place like other magazines.. it feels a lot less clean and designed than the old Edge. Hopefully it grows on me because personally I liked Edge's predictable formatting.

Next month: Mario, it seems. (white glove, red sleeve, bold black outlines)

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
That Witcher 2 score is going to rile up more than a few people.

Can't wait to read the review in the digital edition fifty weeks from now.

Truant

Visualante said:
Scores
Witcher 2 6

21dmu04.gif

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
The new design is really classy, I just opened my copy. The newly expanded review section is fantastic.

JaseC said:
That Witcher 2 score is going to rile up more than a few people.

Can't wait to read the review in the digital edition fifty weeks from now.

I've got a share of perplexities on TW2. It's a very uneven game, that ends up being less than the sum of its parts. I could have backed up a 7.

A six in the same number where you give L.A. Noire an 8 is a travesty.

Oh the price went up to £5 too, I think that's new. Up £1 in the last couple of years.

Interestingly they have a section after each review called post script which can be an interview or some further discussion which is separate from the review. Which doesn't necessarily fit into a single write up. Pretty interesting approach, and nice that they've coupled them together.

Still present are the job listings, company profiles, ads and school stuff.

Wallach

The Witcher 2 definitely isn't going to be everyone's style. Much like the first game.

I think I'm more surprised by some of the higher scores. I didn't expect them to give L.A. Noire an 8.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
VisanidethDM said:
I've got a share of perplexities on TW2. It's a very uneven game, that ends up being less than the sum of its parts. I could have backed up a 7.

Yeah, one of my mates is a big fan of the The Witcher and he has his reservations with the sequel.

Visualante said:
Oh the price went up to £5 too, I think that's new. Up £1 in the last couple of years.

I initially read that as "went up by £5". :/

Every single time I see scores from Edge I can't shake the feeling that they have genres they like and genres they don't like and they score them accordingly.

Keep in mind I have not played the Witcher 2 and hated the first Infamous but I am speaking as someone that would be considering the pros and cons of subscribing to the magazine, that is really how they come off to me.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Not that I hold these guys in high regard compared to some here but I have to disagree on the Witcher 2.

StuBurns

Banned
Anerythristic said:
Every single time I see scores from Edge I can't shake the feeling that they have genres they like and genres they don't like and they score them accordingly.

Keep in mind I have not played the Witcher 2 and hated the first Infamous but I am speaking as someone that would be considering the pros and cons of subscribing to the magazine, that is really how they come off to me.
They gave FFXII a ten I think. They like RPGs.

EDIT: Nine actually.

Detox

Their Witcher 2 review is up on their site.

People on other forums have said the redesign is shit and they made it look like a lifestyle magazine.

I haven't received my subscription copy yet but fuck Leigh Alexander she is so annoying doesn't really fit with the other EDGE columnists.

I am thinking about subscribing to EDGE, after not being too impressed with the new EGM.

For those in the states, is it worth the $100 subscription price?

e-gamer

El Shaddai: Ascension of the metatron 8

This game is great, except the boring loading to show only one message on the screen lol

But i played the demo. Don't know about the retail version.

Steven Poole's back? Never liked his columns although his book was good. Any new sections with the redesign?

As for the Witcher 2 score, why are you surprised, I don't think I can remember them reviewing a WRPG highly(unlike British developed driving games).

Detox

StuBurns said:
They gave FFXII a ten I think. They like RPGs.

EDIT: Nine actually.
I don't think they get WRPG's.
Mass Effect - 7/10
Jade Empire - 7/10
KotOR - 9/10
Baldur's Gate 2 - 8/10
The Witcher - 5/10
Morrowind - 6/10
Oblivion - 8/10
Fallout 3 - 7/10
Diablo - 7/10
Diablo II - 6/10
Dragon age: Origins - 5/10
Mass Effect 2 - 9/10

enzo_gt said:
ITT: People who don't understand Edge's rating scale. A 6 is great.

Not to me. If I was considering a 1-10 scale a 6 is slightly above average, a 7 is an above average game, 8 and 9 means a great game, and a 10 is a 10.

Dina

enzo_gt said:

I'm not complaining about the 6, I'm complaining about the 3 point difference vs Dirt 3 and TW 2.

StuBurns

Banned
Detox said:
Mass Effect - 7/10
Jade Empire - 7/10
KotOR - 9/10
Baldur's Gate 2 - 8/10
The Witcher - 5/10
Morrowind - 6/10
Oblivion - 8/10
Fallout 3 - 7/10
Diablo - 7/10
Diablo II - 6/10
Mass Effect 2 - 10/10
They over scored Oblivion, low balled ME1 a little. Outside of Diablo 2 which I don't really care for (but is nothing like TW2), there's nothing surprising there.

Aeana

enzo_gt said:
I understand their rating scale. However, being that I feel that The Witcher 2 is one of the better games I've played in a while, I was curious to hear what they had to say to decide that it is a merely above average game. Fortunately, someone provided me with a link and I see what they said now. I don't rage over review scores like some people, I was just curious.

Detox said:
Mass Effect - 7/10
Jade Empire - 7/10
KotOR - 9/10
Baldur's Gate 2 - 8/10
The Witcher - 5/10
Morrowind - 6/10
Oblivion - 8/10
Fallout 3 - 7/10
Diablo - 7/10
Diablo II - 6/10
Mass Effect 2 - 10/10

Or they just don't like them.

The highest scoring RPG is barely an RPG at all.

Top Bottom