• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS Price drop thread (169 USD, 15k yen, 250 AUD, ~£130, 169 EUR)

Slime

Banned
Ouch. Still, at this price and with the first-party titles coming out this Holiday, they at least don't have to worry about much competition from Vita (if it even makes a 2011 release). They'll see a turnaround in November I think.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
But honestly the best thing out of this is concrete evidence that GBA software is hitting the Virtual Console. Now if only Nintendo could work out a viable online system similar to Steam where titles purchased are tied to an account.....

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
I posted this on another board:

As an early adopter, who absolutely LOVES his 3DS, and who said no chance of a >$50 price drop before the holidays in the US... there's a fair chance I'm going to have to eat my hat.

Don't get me wrong, I still adore this handheld. It's a hard thing to describe; to an outsider, it probably comes off as a glorified DS with a 3D gimmick and bad games. But, I tell everyone who will listen, that this handheld has more potential than any portable Nintendo has released prior. Ocarina of Time is absolutely amazing, and there's a lot of decent titles to pass the time until we see Mario, Mario Kart, Kid Icarus, and others this holiday. And the actual construction of it is simply fantastic. Pictures and kiosks don't do it justice - it just looks and feels great in your hand.

Nevertheless, Nintendo hit the perfect storm with this handheld. Certainly, it's partially their fault. But at the same time, the current market and very stiff competition from Apple and Sony has just compounded the problem.

-WEAK launch lineup. OoT and RE: Mercs should have been there Day One. No excuse.
-$250 is pushing it for a handheld... no doubt. $200 would have been much smarter.
-March release = after the holidays and before people enjoy their summer. Just a terrible time.
-Cellphones/iPod Touch/Tablets certainly compete with the product unlike handhelds before

... And in my opinion, the biggest problem: PSP Vita announced to be $250 as well. The Vita is, without question, a MUCH better deal in a parts-to-parts comparison. No doubt, the 3D of the 3DS is cool. But the Vita has a better screen, stronger hardware, better online, dual-touch, dual-analog, etc, etc.

I said the best we'd see is a drop to $199 by the end of the year. I didn't expect it, but I figured it was possible. But if it really ends up dropping to $150, I have to admit, was WAY off. That said, nothing is confirmed here in the States as of yet.

In any case, I'm sure a lot of 3DS early adopters will feel the sting if this is dropped to $200... or even $150... in the coming months. But me, personally? I've absolutely LOVED my 3DS since the day I got it. One of the few purchases I've made with absolutely zero regret. I'm thankful for the extra time I've had with it; and I'm excited more people will be able to get one this fall. With Mario, Mario Kart, and others on the way, there's no reason in my opinion to not get a 3DS this holiday if it really drops to $150.

Also... this just means I might be able to scrap up the funds for a flare red JAP 3DS in the next several months for imports!

TL;DR - I think this is a smart move on Nintendo's part, and as an early adopter, I still love my 3DS and hopefully this will lead to some more enthusiastic support from gamers & developers/publishers.

Xellos

Persona7 said:
You don't get to choose the games.

Super Mario Bros.
Donkey Kong JR.
Balloon Fight
Ice
The Legend of Zelda

Super Mario Advance 3
Mario Kart Advance
Metroid Fusion
Wario
Mario vs. Donkey Kong

If NoA offers this then there will be no hard feelings on my part. Would have been buying 7/10 of these anyway.

Yoshiya said:
Holy shit. I guess they learnt their lesson, but most could have guessed that a single function device at $250 in 2011 would be bomba for sure. This is just the inevitable confirmation.

It's not even that entirely. The launch lineup was terrible. You can't convince people to buy a new handheld that expensive without any games to play on it. The other thing at $250 is that you've priced it out of "kid-friendly" territory in terms of younger people being able to afford it themselves or convincing parents to buy a "toy" for that much.

Nothing in the launch even remotely interested me, and the only thing out now that I'd play would be OoT, but even then I'd much prefer MM since I have OoT on the Gamecube Disc (and I'm still packing an N64 if I wanted to go and find an original copy). Steel Diver and Pilot Wings are simply not first-party franchises you can successfully launch a system on. SFIV as the only unarguably "good" game at launch is problem because it doesn't have mass appeal and it was a port to boot!

Anyway, I'll leave it there for now since this has all been covered before. I'm surprised, but not entirely shocked that we got a price drop, but it was definitely earlier than I expected. With the Vita coming and providing significant value for the price at $250, there was no way Nintendo was going to be able to compete at the same price point given the current state of the market which is saturated by multi-functional devices for cheaper.

I'll probably hold off for a redesign and when there are at least 3-5 killer apps that I want (that aren't remakes or games I could find on another platform.)

hamchan

Bleh Mario Kart Super Circuit, who the heck wants that?

I'm hoping the other games will be:
Metroid Zero Mission
Minish Cap
Fire Emblem
Golden Sun
Mother 3 (lol)

Jonnyram

speedpop said:
But honestly the best thing out of this is concrete evidence that GBA software is hitting the Virtual Console. Now if only Nintendo could work out a viable online system similar to Steam where titles purchased are tied to an account.....
I'll say it again for the new page, though. This news release says specifically that the GBA games offered as a reward to early adopters will NOT be available to other 3DS owners later. NES games WILL be available on general release later, though, and updates will be free to early adopters.

Spike

Kagari said:
Anyone who bought the system before Sept. 1st gets 10 free NES virtual console games.

Where did you see the September 1st date? Wouldn't that defeat the purpose of awarding the early adopters?

Here is what I see in that press release:

In order to participate in this program, August 10, 2011 (Wednesday), customers who purchase a Nintendo 3DS up, up until 23:59 the same day, an Internet connection you for the Nintendo 3DS, " Nintendo e shop "should be reached on foot once. By August 10, at least once "Nintendo e-shop" access to customers who are registered as a participant will be the Ambassador Program.

I don't know if this has been discussed or mentioned before but I noticed something odd when watching channel 4 (uk) the other night, watching tv is a rarity to me so this might be old old news!

But there was a minute or so long advert aired several time for the 3DS, stating all its features and fantastic software and games however not once was there a mention of 3D graphics. It seemed strange but have they stopped aggressively marketing the 3D graphics of the console and started to aim it at the more general audience?

Again apologies if this is old and discussed already but I just found it interesting!

Striek

Jonnyram said:
I'll say it again for the new page, though. This news release says specifically that the GBA games offered as a reward to early adopters will NOT be available to other 3DS owners later. NES games WILL be available on general release later, though, and updates will be free to early adopters.
Common sense says that wont be true.

Dynamite Shikoku said:
Price dropped to $249.95 in Australia. Lol, Australians get screwed again. What a ripoff.
Ahaha. Its already been $280 in some stores and $299 is pretty much common. Screwed again, yup.

duckroll

This early adopter program is very, very rushed. Reading through the details in Japanese, it is very clear that Nintendo pushed this press release out at the last minute and none of this is actually ready yet. Mockingbird has translated the lists and details, so I won't do that again. Instead I'll expand on the nature of the program:

- Nintendo is confirming that they will sell NES VC games on the eShop for 3DS. But they will not be released on Sept 1st.

- Instead, on Sept 1st they will be pushing out "early bird editions" of the free NES games for those who bought and registered their systems before the price drop. Only these systems will be able to download and play these NES games at that time.

- These versions sound like beta emulated versions. There will be no digital manuals included, and while you can switch the controls from player 1 to player 2 for certain games which allow for such play, there will be no cross system multiplayer supported at all.

- Eventually at a later date, complete versions will be released for actual sale on the eShop. When this happens, those with the "early bird editions" will be able to update to the full versions for free.

- For the GBA VC games, it gets even weirder. While there is no release date for those other than within 2011, Nintendo is outright saying that they currently have NO plans to ever sell such games on the eShop. This is something specially for early adopters as a reward, and are considered "not for sale" releases.

Ravage

Not trying to rub salt into the wound, but this really should have been the price at launch. I'll probably buy one the day KH3D releases or till a hardware revision is announced, whichever comes first.

speedpop

duckroll said:
- For the GBA VC games, it gets even weirder. While there is no release date for those other than within 2011, Nintendo is outright saying that they currently have NO plans to ever sell such games on the eShop. This is something specially for early adopters as a reward, and are considered "not for sale" releases.
Yeah, eyeing over the US PR it seems really bizarre.

mutsu said:
So how much will DSi and DSi LL be?
I'm expecting them to be phased out completely.

Ydahs

Weren't a lot of surveys indicating the biggest deterance was the price? This thing is going to sell a lot once Mario Kart is released. Smart move by Nintendo if they are still making a profit.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
And now I will officially own a 3DS. Happy I waited.

Rhindle

At $169, it MIGHT actually sell. $149 would have been better, but they should have a decent holiday at $169.

Sony, on the other hand, should be very worried about their pricing.

Spike

NateDrake said:
So, North America should hear of a price cut before the end of September according to the release. Plus, GBA game confirmation for 3DS is sweet and hell yes to Fusion for free.

Except that they have no plans to offer GBA titles for general purchase in the near future...

duckroll said:

This makes absolutely no sense. Why do the work to port the stuff and not have people be able to buy it later? Especially if they're quality titles.

legend166

duckroll said:
This early adopter program is very, very rushed. Reading through the details in Japanese, it is very clear that Nintendo pushed this press release out at the last minute and none of this is actually ready yet. Mockingbird has translated the lists and details, so I won't do that again. Instead I'll expand on the nature of the program:

- Nintendo is confirming that they will sell NES VC games on the eShop for 3DS. But they will not be released on Sept 1st.

- Instead, on Sept 1st they will be pushing out "early bird editions" of the free NES games for those who bought and registered their systems before the price drop. Only these systems will be able to download and play these NES games at that time.

- These versions sound like beta emulated versions. There will be no digital manuals included, and while you can switch the controls from player 1 to player 2 for certain games which allow for such play, there will be no cross system multiplayer supported at all.

- Eventually at a later date, complete versions will be released for actual sale on the eShop. When this happens, those with the "early bird editions" will be able to update to the full versions for free.

That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

Dynamite Shikoku said:
Price dropped to $249.95 in Australia. Lol, Australians get screwed again. What a ripoff.

It's definitely still too high but isn't that still about 80 bucks of rrp? From memory the Aus price is $329.99, but I might be wrong on that.

So still a pretty decent drop.

speedpop

CarbonatedFalcon said:
This makes absolutely no sense. Why do the work to port the stuff and not have people be able to buy it later? Especially if they're quality titles.
Either, as duckroll says, it's hastily put together and the emulation for it is absolute beta.

Or Nintendo are trying to coax people to see that and go "omg! gotta buy one now at the cheapest available price!"

Spike

duckroll said:

Thinking about the NES games, I'm going to guess that the 'full versions' they are referring to would be the 3D Classics line.

So basically you get the vanilla version right away, and as these titles are released in the 3D Classics line, you can download them for free.

That would be nice.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
_Alkaline_ said:
It's definitely still too high but isn't that still about 80 bucks of rrp? From memory the Aus price is $329.99, but I might be wrong on that.

That'd make it the same drop as the US price.
It was $349.95, I believe.
speedpop said:
EOr Nintendo are trying to coax people to see that and go "omg! gotta buy one now at the cheapest available price!"
I bet it's that.

They probably wanted to save the GBA announcement for a later date, and are stubbornly clinging to those plans.

duckroll

CarbonatedFalcon said:

I would imagine they don't have any plans to add GBA games to the VC catalog until much later (in 2012), but the fact that they were dropping the price by a hundred bucks forced their hand to at least try to good with their existing customers. It could well be that the emulators are not in any sort of final state, and they feel that it would be more acceptable if the products are not perfect if they're freebies, and they're not confident they can release actual products for sale anytime in the near future.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Rhindle said:
At $169, it MIGHT actually sell. $149 would have been better, but they should have a decent holiday at $169.

Sony, on the other hand, should be very worried about their pricing.

What? 'MIGHT' actually sell? $169 is a terrific price.

Okay guys, price cut for europe is 1/3 but endprice is set by retailers. If true it's around 199€

Edith: Amazon.de lists 3ds for 217€ down from 250€. Wow europe gets fucked again.

So it wasn't printing money fast enough , now they are getting ready to Print money which it definitely will? I'm surprised they did it so quickly though and doesn't that make the situation the same as it was when PSP launched?

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Oh.. exclusive download games?

Hmmm.. considering 3DS is $200 on sale in Canada this week... might bite...

Smart move Nintendo. Reward the early adopters. Grab a few fence sitters who might want those VC games. Sell the VC service to those users. Fix the price for the mass market and put an end to the horrible launch sales disaster.

Damn, 3DS early adopters got screwed worse than any other early adopters ever.

Dropping that much that quickly is nuts in itself, but dropping in Japan first is a big shock given that even with the middling performance there, it's still far and away the top market for the 3DS.

I'm glad Nintendo responded as quickly as it did. The hubris in releasing a system at such a high price for so little tech was hard to stomach, this is the price it should've been at launch. I doubt anyone would've complained.

Reknoc

Just need NoE to confirm they're doing gonna do the games thing now then? Glad I got my 3DS when it was £150 in GAME.

The M.O.B

I have to eat my crow, I recently told someone on here that no way Nintendo would bother with a price-drop until after the holiday season at least.

I was wrong...

And I'm getting a 3DS when StarFox comes out :D

Oh wow, I totally did not expect them to lower the price this early... I honestly felt that the 3DS could sell well at $250 after the Mario game came out. But this will be even better. 'm pretty shocked...

One good thing about Nintendo is that, if they lower the price of things, they give out free stuff. For instance, the free Wii Opera browser. If you bought it before the price drop, then you'd get a free game of your choice. Totally not something they had to do.

Midas

gofreak said:
Yeah, but this is, like, especially quickly.

This reminds me of the N64 PAL launch. Dropped a couple of months after launch or something like that. Got burned then too :(

Original Xbox Euro launch was something like this as well, wasn't it?

They just couldn't go for the $150 mark, could they? Oh well, I might actually buy this now. Maybe. Still debating it though, because the only things I'm even interested in right now are Mercs 3D and Shadow Wars. Plus, I already bought a PSP this year, and that's just so much more worth it at the price it's at. Ugh...I never thought $20 would make a difference like this.

duckroll said:

ゲームプレイ中は、ニンテンドー3DSを閉じてもスリープモードになりません。
ゲームプレイ中、「いつの間に通信」や「すれちがい通信」が発生しません

Bloody... the GBA games don't support sleep mode or street pass and you can't move them to other consoles.

Yoshiya

$250 AUD is way too high. What are they thinking? Even Apple have reduced their Australian prices in light of the extremely strong AUD (1 Australian dollar = 1.07 U.S. dollars). I could import for $160 AUD plus shipping. What a joke.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
mutsu said:
You are expecting them to be phased out completely when they are still selling the DS Lite?
DS Lite is discontinued now.

I expect price drops for the DSi models though.
Sweet. I want an XL!

Top Bottom