• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS Price drop thread (169 USD, 15k yen, 250 AUD, ~£130, 169 EUR)

Striek

Oh wow. That is crazy early and a crazy huge amount. Soooooo many gaffers said it wouldn't happen this year, I knew it would though.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Persona7 said:
Super Mario Bros.
Donkey Kong JR.
Balloon Fight
Ice
The Legend of Zelda

Super Mario Advance 3
Mario Kart Advance
Metroid Fusion
Wario
Mario vs. Donkey Kong
It's a shame that it is the slightly subpar Yoshi's Island port :(

Spike

Persona7 said:
You don't get to choose the games.

Super Mario Bros.
Donkey Kong JR.
Balloon Fight
Ice
The Legend of Zelda

Super Mario Advance 3
Mario Kart Advance
Metroid Fusion
Wario
Mario vs. Donkey Kong

Yeah, and they have no plans to offer the GBA titles for sale any time soon.

Veitsev

Flying_Phoenix said:
Nintendo should be kissing the ground that they are still able to do this prior to the Vita's launch.

That price was ridiculous in the first place.

Yeah if this happened when they were in direct competition with Vita it would have looked far worse. They can kind of sweep it under the rug. Now get some fucking games on this system and it should do well during Christmas at $150.

Persona7 said:
You don't get to choose the games.

Super Mario Bros.
Donkey Kong JR.
Balloon Fight
Ice
The Legend of Zelda

Super Mario Advance 3
Mario Kart Advance
Metroid Fusion
Wario
Mario vs. Donkey Kong

what the hell is "ice"

VideoMan

30% Failure Rate
Good. This needed to happen.

I seriously doubt it will drop to $150 in the west though. $199 is my guess.

Jikagi

Wow, I wasn't expecting this this early, but I got my 3DS for less than $150 with the gift cards I had so I am ok with this.

amitlu

Banned
Wow, this is insane.

Although them being up against the Vita at the same price point wouldn't have been good for them either!

So, wait. How would they going to gauge who bought a 3DS early? Registration on Club Nintendo? I still haven't registered mine (going to do that now). Not that anyone knows just yet, but I'm just thinking about it.

Gaspode_T

I just realized PSP is more expensive in Japan now than 3DS (PSP = 15749 at Amazon.co.jp), which doesn't really make sense to me - I've been wanting to pick one up but keep balking at the price. Supply and demand sometimes sucks as a consumer.

Branduil

Dynamite Shikoku said:
I think nintendo really misread the 3D boom that was happening in cinema and thought they would make a truckload of money. Just about any of Vita's features are more appealing than 3D to me.
I think they misread the willingness of people to pay for a $250 handheld.

VideoMan said:
Good. This needed to happen.

I seriously doubt it will drop to $150 in the west though. $199 is my guess.

15 000 Japanese yen = 190.62 U.S. dollars

Makes sense,

Also Poor used game shops, they are still buying the thing for 17,000~ selling for around 19,000-21,000, This is going to hurt them hard.

Aeana

I knew it was a mistake when I bought one, but this confirms I will definitely go back to waiting a few years after system launches before I dive in. Sorry, Vita.

Spike

PigSpeakers said:
So, wait. How would they going to gauge who bought a 3DS early? Registration on Club Nintendo? I still haven't registered mine (going to do that now). Not that anyone knows just yet, but I'm just thinking about it.

You need to register on the e-Shop before 11:59pm of August the 10th to get the rewards.

For Japan, if you buy before august 11, 2011 -- the day of the price drop you get 10 free VC NES games and 10 free VC GB advance games.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/info110728/index.html

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/info110728/detail.html

Free VC NES games for 3DS (from sept 1st):

Super Mario Bros.
Super Mario Bros.
Donkey Kong JR.
Balloon Fight
Ice Climbers
The Legend of Zelda
+ 5 more

Free VC gameboy advance games for 3DS:

Super Mario Advance 3
Mario Kart Advance
Metroid Fusion
Wario ware
Mario vs. Donkey Kong
+ 5 more

Veitsev

Branduil said:
I think they misread the willingness of people to pay for a $250 handheld.

Yep. I am not sure Vita will do better at that price either even it if is technically a better value.

Neki

Aeana said:
I knew it was a mistake when I bought one, but this confirms I will definitely go back to waiting a few years after system launches before I dive in. Sorry, Vita.
I don't get it, shouldn't you only buying a system at launch if it has compelling software or features?

onipex

Kagari said:
I posted above, but: Anyone who bought the system before Sept. 1st gets 10 free NES virtual console games.

And 15 extra Nintendo points.

I didn't expect this drop so soon. I wonder if sale will go up that much considering that there still isn't enough software out for the 3DS.

Acosta

Boom!

As I suspected, wayyyy overpriced with Nintendo thinking people would pay a premium for a gimmick like 3D. Glad that I waited.

Spike

Mockingbird said:
For Japan, if you buy before august 11, 2011 -- the day of the price drop you get 10 free VC NES games and 10 free VC GB advance games.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/info110728/index.html

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/info110728/detail.html

Free VC NES games for 3DS:

Super Mario Bros.
Super Mario Bros.
Donkey Kong JR.
Balloon Fight
Ice Climbers
The Legend of Zelda
+ 5 more

Free VC gameboy advance games for 3DS:

Super Mario Advance 3
Mario Kart Advance
Metroid Fusion
Wario ware
Mario vs. Donkey Kong
+ 5 more

Holy shit, it actually is 20 games!! Damn that is not bad for being an early adopter at all.

NateDrake

So, North America should hear of a price cut before the end of September according to the release. Plus, GBA game confirmation for 3DS is sweet and hell yes to Fusion for free.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
24FrameDaVinci said:
Not really. For Sony, it's pretty much all according to keikaku.

Translator's Note: Keikaku means Monster Hunter
Sony's plan seems to have been to price match 3DS.
They're going to be $100 more. Things might not play out the same way.
Dynamite Shikoku said:
I think nintendo really misread the 3D boom that was happening in cinema and thought they would make a truckload of money. Just about any of Vita's features are more appealing than 3D to me.
I agree.
The 3D feature is going to make the system seem really dated. It's strongly tied to another failed 3D push.

Luckyman

Banned
ymmv said:
Euro price cut from 250 to 150. Impressive. That's the same price as a regular DS. The next step is probably to phase out the old DS entirely so it won't matter if the public doesn't want 3D, because it's all they can get.

Not sure if serious. It will be 199 euro

Aeana

Ultimoo said:
I don't get it, shouldn't you only buying a system at launch if it has compelling software or features?
No launch system has ever had a compelling enough lineup for me. I usually require at least 5 games I really want to play. I just had a moment of weakness with the 3DS, and I was feeling it with the Vita too. This just brought me back down to Earth.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Ultimoo said:
I grabbed one simply for Pilotwings and the eventual release of Ocarina of Time. It doesn't bother me as much as others might simply because both myself and my partner wanted to grab it together so 2 incomes weren't troubled.

That doesn't change the fact that waiting for system hardware to drop at least once and having a worthwhile library to choose from is the safest option as a consumer.

Top Bottom