• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII-2: Non-Linear Time Traveling, Sidequests, New Great Locations

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

miladesn said:
we know you can upgrade them and even equip them with accessories. They haven't talked about details of the upgrades/growth system in the game yet. There will be ~150 different monsters in the game and each one has different abilities.

I wonder how many Paradigms you can preset this time. It seems to me that the monsters are sort of like cards that make up a deck, and your deck is basically the Paradigms, since they determine which monsters you can swap into a battle.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
qSseA.png

lol

jimmypython

Jinfash said:
Yes, I want a FF pokemon)

too bad they didn't bring the INTERNATIONAL version of FFX-2 over............

pokemon system was in that game already....you literally have multiple types of capture balls......

Kagari said:
FFXIII-2 Japanese release date probably at TGS. A Limited Edition is being considered...
FFXIII-2 was in development for a year and 1/2. Game is now 90% complete.
Snow will definitely appear, he's yet to marry Serah.
Some sort of savedata function from FFXIII might carry over to the sequel.

WHAT ? After all that happenned 3 YEARS after snow didn't manage to conquer serah heart ?
The work was freaking almost done .. Is lightining disapearance THAT of a problem , even snow couldn't fill ?

i'm disapointed .Snow doesn't seem up to the task ..i guess it's time for some NEOTARE end .

Jarmel

Banned
R_thanatos said:
WHAT ? After all that happenned 3 YEARS after snow didn't manage to conquer serah heart ?
The work was freaking almost done .. Is lightining disapearance THAT of a problem , even snow couldn't fill ?

i'm disapointed .Snow doesn't seem up to the task ..i guess it's time for some NEOTARE end .

I couldn't stand the man for 25 hours. I couldn't begin to imagine how much I would hate him after 3 years.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Kagari said:
Wrote up a full report:

The FINAL FANTASY XIII-2 Fan Meeting took place earlier today, and with it comes a small bit of new information.

Fans were able to sample the latest build of the game, although it seems the demo focused on the exact same Bresha Ruins location from the E3 demo. Several tweaks have been made since then, however, including the addition of possible Normal/Easy modes, and changes to the Battle Results screen.

Speaking in a roundtable discussion, the development staff shared some interesting details with everyone. FINAL FANTASY XIII-2 has been in development for around 1 and 1/2 years. Decisions to go ahead with the sequel were made not long after the North American and European launches of FINAL FANTASY XIII. As for a release date, that information should hopefully be shared at TGS, along with the possibility of a Limited Edition version.

In story news, Motomu Toriyama says that Snow will indeed make an appearance in the game, although he has yet to marry Serah, he jokes. There will also be plenty of Lightning.

Regarding multiple endings, the plot will branch out quite a bit. Lindzei, Pulse, and the Goddess Etro are the “axis” of the story.

Noel and Vanille talk of the same inward battle in their words, how are the two related…?

Don’t delete your FINAL FANTASY XIII clear file just yet! For those that played the original, some save data functionality might carry over.

Those able to attend got to sample next week’s TGS ROM noted that the difficulty was fairly high. The game’s “Monster Hunter” aspect was shown in full form, now with added chocobos to your party. Full party specifics have yet to be shared, but Toriyama has previously noted that it will consist of Serah, Noel, a captured monster, and sometimes, a guest character. That’s not counting Lightning’s playable sections.

As a thank you for coming, Toriyama and Kitase awarded fans with signed posters featuring XIII-2′s Lightning and Serah keyart. In the meantime, the staff wants fans to look forward to the Tokyo Game Show movie. With it just around the corner, FINAL FANTASY XIII-2 will no doubt be there in a big way.

Nothing came out regarding that?

Jarmel said:
I couldn't stand the man for 25 hours. I couldn't begin to imagine how much I would hate him after 3 years.

Sarah was as bland as they come...how the hell is she getting her own game? Well, cant say I am against having female characters as the protagonists...but squeeky teenage girls are every bit as tedious a hero as the male variety...

Day 1 of course...

Sydle

Like the look and the new features, but nothing is worth using the paradigm system again. Maybe they'll learn for the third game.

duckroll

Perfo said:
Nothing came out regarding that?

It refers to the "blood damage" system which they showcased. When you receive damage from enemies, sometimes the damage is blood damage, which reduces your maximum HP for that battle. I don't play Monster Hunter, but many of the blogs and impressions refer to it as a system which seems inspired by the Monster Hunter series.

Rpgmonkey

Chocobos can be in the party? Oh man, it's almost like FFX-2 International all over again!

Starting to want this game so much.

duckroll

Rpgmonkey said:
Chocobos can be in the party? Oh man, it's almost like FFX-2 International all over again!

Starting to want this game so much.

Chocobo is just one of the monster types you can have in your party as the monster member. They showed off 2 new monster types at the event today: Chocobo (Attacker) and Cat Sith (Healer). All monster types which you can recruit (150+ in all) have their own special attacks. There's a bar which builds up during the battle,and when it's full they can pull off a special attack with on screen QTE prompts. Chocobo does the Chocobo Kick, and Cat Sith does the Neko Punch.

Paco said:
Like the look and the new features, but nothing is worth using the paradigm system again. Maybe they'll learn for the third game.

I can't tell if this is ignorance or just lack of actually playing through FF13. Then again... looking at your avatar... maybe it is just ignorance.

Rpgmonkey

duckroll said:
Chocobo is just one of the monster types you can have in your party as the monster member. They showed off 2 new monster types at the event today: Chocobo (Attacker) and Cat Sith (Healer). All monster types which you can recruit (150+ in all) have their own special attacks. There's a bar which builds up during the battle,and when it's full they can pull off a special attack with on screen QTE prompts. Chocobo does the Chocobo Kick, and Cat Sith does the Neko Punch.

Cool.

Not sure how I feel about using QTEs, but I like that they have special attacks. Might help to add more depth to monster switching.

duckroll

Rpgmonkey said:
Cool.

Not sure how I feel about using QTEs, but I like that they have special attacks. Might help to add more depth to monster switching.

Well, they're button inputs just like many of the limit breaks in older FF games.

I kind of want Limit Breaks to return... I also want the FF victory theme to return, but I guess they could just say it's not an actual numbered game in the series so it doesn't need it. Still disappointed that 13 didn't have it.

Sydle

DarknessTear said:
I can't tell if this is ignorance or just lack of actually playing through FF13. Then again... looking at your avatar... maybe it is just ignorance.

Put 40 hours on FFXIII, well into Gran Pulse. It's just a terrible battle system.

duckroll

miladesn said:
there is a very detailed report with lots of pics from everything http://www.i-mezzo.net/log/2011/09/11000535.html

if someone is willing to translate.

- Fans were given 1 hour to play the game, after the staff explained the game to them.

- There was a 30 min Q&A session after the demo session, where they surveyed the fans on their impressions, as well as answering questions about the game.

- This build is the same demo build which will be available at TGS 2011, but at TGS attendees will only have 15 minutes each to play the demo.

- Each player was given their own demo station with a LCD TV to play the game. They had both PS3 and Xbox360 builds available, this blogger played the Xbox360 version.

Then he goes on to describe his experience with the demo, and the various content/systems in the game. Pretty much all have been covered previously in previews and/or this thread, so I don't really want to write it all up again. In the Q&A section they do mention that Blood Damage is a system they came up with to counter the over-effectiveness of having a Healer in the Paradigm by limiting how much you can heal as a battle drags on.

Chiave

I don't think the battle system is bad. By the time I got to Gran Pulse I was just tired of the game so I skipped most battles just to get to the last couple of boss fights.

Perfo

duckroll said:
It refers to the "blood damage" system which they showcased. When you receive damage from enemies, sometimes the damage is blood damage, which reduces your maximum HP for that battle. I don't play Monster Hunter, but many of the blogs and impressions refer to it as a system which seems inspired by the Monster Hunter series.

Oh, thanks. Sounds interesting. I was thinking they also shared levelling up system for monsters, but maybe we have to wait more to know about that. I remember they said something like that should be in the final game...

Honestly it sounds great and looks to rectify all my concerns with the original game, as well as being more experimental in terms of structure. I always wanted more time travel in the series. Hopefully Serah and Noel are more interesting characters than the cookie cutter archetypes they appear to be.

It'd be amazing if this game was somehow worse than XIII. Heck, one moogle is an improvement.

Darkatomz

Kagari said:
Wrote up a full report:

The FINAL FANTASY XIII-2 Fan Meeting took place earlier today, and with it comes a small bit of new information.

Fans were able to sample the latest build of the game, although it seems the demo focused on the exact same Bresha Ruins location from the E3 demo. Several tweaks have been made since then, however, including the addition of possible Normal/Easy modes, and changes to the Battle Results screen.

Speaking in a roundtable discussion, the development staff shared some interesting details with everyone. FINAL FANTASY XIII-2 has been in development for around 1 and 1/2 years. Decisions to go ahead with the sequel were made not long after the North American and European launches of FINAL FANTASY XIII. As for a release date, that information should hopefully be shared at TGS, along with the possibility of a Limited Edition version.

In story news, Motomu Toriyama says that Snow will indeed make an appearance in the game, although he has yet to marry Serah, he jokes. There will also be plenty of Lightning.

Regarding multiple endings, the plot will branch out quite a bit. Lindzei, Pulse, and the Goddess Etro are the “axis” of the story.

Noel and Vanille talk of the same inward battle in their words, how are the two related…?

Don’t delete your FINAL FANTASY XIII clear file just yet! For those that played the original, some save data functionality might carry over.

Those able to attend got to sample next week’s TGS ROM noted that the difficulty was fairly high. The game’s “Monster Hunter” aspect was shown in full form, now with added chocobos to your party. Full party specifics have yet to be shared, but Toriyama has previously noted that it will consist of Serah, Noel, a captured monster, and sometimes, a guest character. That’s not counting Lightning’s playable sections.

As a thank you for coming, Toriyama and Kitase awarded fans with signed posters featuring XIII-2′s Lightning and Serah keyart. In the meantime, the staff wants fans to look forward to the Tokyo Game Show movie. With it just around the corner, FINAL FANTASY XIII-2 will no doubt be there in a big way.
Hmm...

duckroll

I should note that at no point did they actually suggest or mention that there is any data actually being carried over. Only that for those who have a FFXIII save on the system, they're planning something nice. It's probably just some unlockable or bonus items for those who have a FFXIII clear save or something.

Thoraxes

Andriasang said:
Serah and Snow are not yet married, and Snow apparently has a good reason for this. In the final version of the game, we'll get the full word on the current status of their relationship.
Interesting. Very interesting.

jackdoe

Thoraxes said:
Interesting. Very interesting.
Not really. It's obvious the reason he disappeared was because the police arrested him for boning a sixteen year old. Yeah, yeah, "But she said she was 18", but that's no defense Mr. Villiers. Obviously if he's in prison for statutory, then he can't marry her.

I can't believe how fantastic this game is sounding. I liked FFXIII, but I can't really recommend it completely, and it's one of my least favorite FFs. Still a decent RPG though. This, however, really just seems to be doing everything right. The only thing I am really concerned about is how the hell Toriyama is going to make an even half-way decent story derived from the original's trainwreck. I'm hoping he can do it. Very optimistic about this one.

Toth

Thoraxes said:
Serah and Snow are not yet married, and Snow apparently has a good reason for this. In the final version of the game, we'll get the full word on the current status of their relationship..

Hmm I wager that Snow just does not want to actually marry Serah until Lightning is back at their side, considering the relationship they forged in 13 and how much Lightning means to her sister. He's that kinda guy.

jackdoe

FateBreaker said:
I can't believe how fantastic this game is sounding. I liked FFXIII, but I can't really recommend it completely, and it's one of my least favorite FFs. Still a decent RPG though. This, however, really just seems to be doing everything right. The only thing I am really concerned about is how the hell Toriyama is going to make an even half-way decent story derived from the original's trainwreck. I'm hoping he can do it. Very optimistic about this one.
What they're saying about gameplay enhancements sounds fantastic and if the player truly has choices that affect the story, it would be a nice step forward for the franchise. It's just a shame that they're saddling it with some lame characters and what seems to be shaping up to be a lame story.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Tokyo Game Show will play host to a variety of new reveals, including an introduction to some of the old characters from FINAL FANTASY XIII, several of which will be playable, likely as guest party members. The identity of the mysterious man fighting against Lightning will likely be revealed as well.

As for the game's length, Toriyama explains that it's slightly shorter than XIII in terms of volume, but many new gameplay elements have been added including the Historia Crux system, fragments, and mini games.

The Moogle in XIII-2 has the ability to grab items from the world of Valhalla. His mission is to help Serah. Chocobos will of course appear in the game as well, including a new red version. In XIII, they were only accessible in Gran Pulse, but will now have the ability to travel anywhere. Chocobos will not be available from the start of the game, however, but will be gained when easy movement becomes difficult.

Two new monster types were revealed at the event, including Chocobos and Cait Siths. Chocobos fall under the Attacker role, while Cait Sith is considered a Healer. Over 150 different types of monsters will be available for your capturing, and will also feature a Crystarium-like growth system.

When asked about possible downloadable content for the game, Kitase could not comment, but did say that the team was actively looking into it.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Kagari said:
As for the game's length, Toriyama explains that it's slightly shorter than XIII in terms of volume, but many new gameplay elements have been added including the Historia Crux system, fragments, and mini games.
Hmmm, I don't remember XIII being particulary long when ignoring the hunts, so I'm a bit concerned. Can anyone recall the average of a single playthrough?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Jinfash said:
Hmmm, I don't remember XIII being particulary long when ignoring the hunts, so I'm a bit concerned. Can anyone recall the average of a single playthrough?

Around 50 hours with doing minimal missions for me. XIII-2 is said to be 40 hours or so.

jackdoe

Jinfash said:
When he mentions volume, it sounds like content and not necessarily story length. And FFXIII didn't feel that particularly heavy in volume.

Pooya

Jinfash said:
if you ignored most of the missions (like just doing 1-10 something), ~35 hours for finishing story, for me at least.

I think he means the game has less cutscenes.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Kagari said:
Around 50 hours with doing minimal missions for me. XIII-2 is said to be 40 hours or so.
40 hours to complete the main quest would be perfect. Fingers crossed.

xion4360

jackdoe said:
When he mentions volume, it sounds like content and not necessarily story length. And FFXIII didn't feel that particularly heavy in volume.

The translation probably off a bit. Im certain he means the actual length of the story play through is a bit shorter than XIII, but that there is more additional content to enjoy aside from that.

Thoraxes

So... Neo Bahamut belongs to the un-named antagonist somehow.

Interesting. I honestly couldn't tell it was that till the image to be honest. Wonder if it's somehow related to Fang, being that Bahamut was hers.

duckroll said:
They showed off 2 new monster types at the event today: Chocobo (Attacker) and Cat Sith (Healer).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Cat Sith that fluffy toy from FFVII? What's he doing in FFXIII-2?

duckroll said:

I love how the Japanese make up a new name for something that is most likely a tiny gimmick.

Perfo

Thoraxes said:
So... Neo Bahamut belongs to the un-named antagonist somehow.

Oh, that's Bahamut then? I couldn't tell at start, because while the body looks like the original... the head is more like a cloud o_O

Castor Krieg said:
Correct me if I'm wronge, but isn't Cat Sith that fluffy toy from FFVII? What's he doing in FFXIII-2?

He is doing fan-service, a great one indeed :D

Thoraxes

Perfo said:
Oh, that's Bahamut then? I couldn't tell at start, because while the body looks like the original... the head is more like a cloud o_O
In the bigger picture, it definitely looks like the Gestalt Mode of Bahamut from XIII.

Claws, face-fang things, wings, body, gestalt function. All look the same.
I'm just watching this video and comparing now to be sure, and it definitely looks like it. Also he's riding it in Gestalt Mode, so it definitely belongs to him.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSLZcudwsfY&feature=related

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom