• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breaking Bad - Season 4 - Sundays on AMC

Status
Not open for further replies.

PBY

Banned
Bowdz said:
Insane episode like usual. Easily the best written TV show out there right now.

As for who poisoned Brock, it seems incredibly unlikely that Walt did it simply because of the time frame of the whole situation. I honestly have a hard time piecing together when Gus would have been able to pull it off, but it seems more likely with Tyrus on hand.

I have to say though, after hearing Bryan Cranston's words about the finale and Giancarlo talk about tonight's episode, I honestly think Walt might have poisoned Brock.

"At the very end of the season, there are a couple things that happen that are really surprises. One is the big surprise. Then, 'Woooow!' A big wow moment. Then you calm down and there's a bit of a tag to resolve a couple issues, and then, just before it goes black and has Vince Gilligan's name, there's one more little thing. No words, just a visual that the audience will see and it will have the reaction, 'Nooo! Oh, my God!!! No!' It will rock you. Then it goes black and that's the end of the season." - Bryan Cranston

I think that Jesse and Walt end up killing Gus and then the finale "little" thing before the end will be a cut of the ricin cigarette placed somewhere in Jesse's stuff indicating Walt killed Brock on his own.
oh god how much would people rage if that little "visual" was actually the esposito/gus spoiler pic haha

LaneDS

Gah, couldn't resist that spoiler picture. Oh well.

Great episode. The scene with Walt and Jesse was amazing. Was pretty sure Walt didn't do the poisoning, but some folks here have some really convincing arguments so now I'm not so sure.

yeah they should have, I'm assuming they have and they just didn't feel the need to show it.

When Tony Montana was ordered to kill a kid he shot Hector in the fucking head.

Season 5 Finale Spoilers:
Walt is gonna order Jesse to murder some kid and Jesse will cap him

edit: oh and lol at that spoiler pic, are you guys for real? If that shit is serious then...wow ridiculous. This isn't a comic book fantasy show

Bowdz said:
Also, this really is a testament to the writers of the show that there is even this much debate over the details of a few scenes. The show is SO well written and layered that it hard to know what is foreshadowing, what is part of the plot, and what is just plain beautiful cinematography and scenery. I honestly can't think of a another show where I have been this drawn into what is happening.

Completely agree.

"No more prolonging the inevitable..."

Christ, I WANT to rule out the possibility of it being Walt. Its just what we were given in this episode is stacking up....whomever said it doesn't fit the timeline earlier...Walt was unseen the whole day, incommunicado.

Discotheque said:
edit: oh and lol at that spoiler pic, are you guys for real? If that shit is serious then...wow ridiculous. This isn't a comic book fantasy show

the picture came out before we saw the next episode preview

it can't be a coincidence that it's the exact same suit

gus is gonna become Two Face confirmed

PBY

Banned
brianjones said:
the picture came out before we saw the next episode preview

it can't be a coincidence that it's the exact same suit

gus is gonna become Two Face confirmed
Dude... I know... thats totally gonna be the final shot of season 4 too...

demolitio

What if Jesse brought home some water from his stay in Mexico and Brock got a case of Montezuma's revenge? Sorry, I just wanted to have an outlandish theory too... :(

The ending of this episode was intense but you knew it wasn't going to happen yet even though I wanted it to happen so badly.

Bowdz

Discotheque said:
I like this show a lot but if that's real then Vince Gilligan is a dumb muthafucka.

Context is everything. When the picture hit the web, Reddit made it sound like is was a special posed shot for the make-up department. IF that is what happens, then they most likely won't have Gus walking around like a terminator like he looks like in the picture. Also, who knows what could have happened to cause it (Walt's pipe bomb's?).

Bowdz said:
Context is everything. When the picture hit the web, Reddit made it sound like is was a special posed shot for the make-up department. IF that is what happens, then they most likely won't have Gus walking around like a terminator like he looks like in the picture. Also, who knows what could have happened to cause it (Walt's pipe bomb's?).

yeah that could be how he looks dead

hes just standing there as a behind the scenes kind of thing

hopefully .. lol

oatmeal

Banned
What a tense episode.

Can't wait for the finale...goddamn.

And I'm surprised that people call the poisoning contrived but thought Ted's death was at all realistic.

Discotheque said:
I like this show a lot but if that's real then Vince Gilligan is a dumb muthafucka.
It would all makes sense.
Gus is a robot with x-ray vision, thus fully explaining how he knew the pipe bomb was there! All hail Vince Gilligan.

Not convinced he was poisoned, yet.

As for Gus, why do people assume he felt like he was being set up at the car? IMO, I think he is returning to the hospital because he is confused as to how Jesse knew the kid was poisoned when he wasn't allowed in the room with the doctors/family (Tyrus surely told him this).

This is why he was thinking so hard about it and is returning. At least, IMO.

So, is the next episode the finale?

xandaca

It’s pretty amazing how even an episode this superbly paced and acted can feel like a bit of a disappointment by the standards of this incredible series. As much as I enjoyed it, ‘End Times’ was, for me, less exciting because it felt like it was dragging its feet a little ahead of the finale, and all its major conflicts revolved around the unlikely scenario of major characters being killed off so soon before the finale. By any objective standard, it was fantastic: by Breaking Bad’s, doubly so after the way ‘Crawl Space’ ended, it was just a tad underwhelming.

Here’s my review, along with an analysis of who could have poisoned Brock and all the inconsistencies in the stories we have been told so far. Terrific mystery to take us to the end with.

big_z

gus didnt poison the kid. when jesse told him in the closet church that the kid was poisoned gus came to realise they were plotting to kill him. this is why gus was worried about getting back into his car.

the kid stole the smoke and poisoned himself simple as that. you know he's poisoned for sure because the mother and her mom give jesse a disappointed look when he goes back to the hospital and the nurse said that he wasnt allowed in unless the family wants him there.

big_z said:
gus didnt poison the kid. when jesse told him in the closet church that the kid was poisoned gus came to realise they were plotting to kill him. this is why gus was worried about getting back into his car.

the kid stole the smoke and poisoned himself simple as that. you know he's poisoned for sure because the mother and her mom give jesse a disappointed look when he goes back to the hospital and the nurse said that he wasnt allowed in unless the family wants him there.

Jesse said he saw the cig that morning and there was no way Brock had access.

You can't smoke a glass vial. It was just stored in there; you had to put it in someone's food to work.

Ashhong

brianjones said:
yeah that could be how he looks dead

hes just standing there as a behind the scenes kind of thing

hopefully .. lol

This is always what I suspected. People are thinking that
gus is walking around looking like that? looool

clearly saul had huel take the ricin from jesse during the patdown and is now using the poisoning of brock to cause walt and gus to destroy each other while jesse has an emotional breakdown... allowing saul to become the defacto crime lord in new mexico. it's almost too perfect...

big ander

I keep watching this Walt/Jesse confrontation. Too fucking good. Might land as one of the top scenes in a show filled with outstanding moments.

Oh jeeze, the black bars are back in full force again.

If people think Walt poisoned Brock, they should consider the following:

The theory would be that Walt made/retrieved some ricin, right? Then how did the ricin disappear from Jesse's cigarettes? Walt hadn't seen Jesse in days.

Acerac

Banned
cacophony said:
http://www.breakingbadsweeps.com/enter.php

Someone here better win. I can't enter yet cause I don't turn 21 til 8 days lol. But I will win
Entered. Thanks for the link. :)

LaserBuddha said:
If people think Walt poisoned Brock then they are missing something big:

The theory would be that Walt made/retrieved some ricin, right? Then how did the ricin disappear from Jesse's cigarettes? Walt hadn't seen Jesse in days.
Damn. I was really enjoying that theory too.

Walt even spelled it out during the episode and I was still debating jumping on the bandwagon.

Walt poisoning Brock is absurd. The story works great going with the simplest explanation, and that is that Gus did it.

But this is Breaking Bad so there must be something absolutely mindblowing coming up, that goes against the simple explanation. If it's that Gus didn't do it either, and that it was just an accident and that maybe Brock himself took it, would be really unsatisfactory and against everything that they've shown us.

The wait this week will be excruciating.

Raine

I could feel the fear in Walt during that scene when Jesse is pointing the gun at him...no way he did it. He's not a good liar anyway.

big ander said:
I keep watching this Walt/Jesse confrontation. Too fucking good. Might land as one of the top scenes in a show filled with outstanding moments.

Oh jeeze, the black bars are back in full force again.

Yeah I just rewatched that scene too. That fucking laugh is still creeping me out...

LaserBuddha said:
If people think Walt poisoned Brock then they are missing something big:

Well, Jesse did address that Saul's guy picked it off him. Especially with Saul leaving behind so many urgent messages.

I have a new suspicion that Brock wasn't actually poisoned with Ricin per say, but maybe was "stunned" with some zany chemical concoction that Walt came up with. Did the doctors or nurses or Andrea ever confirm Brock was poisoned? Jesse was never let back into the room...And that could be why Gus went back into the hospital. To find out if he was actually poisoned...

lol.gif

FantasticMrFoxdie said:
Well, Jesse did address that Saul's guy picked it off him. Especially with Saul leaving behind so many urgent messages.
Why would Saul do that for Walt? Why would Saul be an accessory to murder, for anyone?

And if Walt had done it, I don't think they would have done something as blatant as the gun-spinning thing to spoil it. That's there to put doubt in your mind as to who did the poisoning, and is subtle enough to make people think they're clever for picking up on it (and therefore overlook that they are being manipulated into thinking that way).

---

But it is clear why Gus didn't get in the car. Jesse thinks Brock was poisoned, and Gus knows that himself and Walt are the only two people who Jesse would suspect. Since Jesse didn't mention Walt at the hospital, then it must be clear to Gus that Jesse suspects him of the poisoning.
It actually doesn't even matter who poisoned Brock, it's clear to Gus that Jesse thinks he did it. So Gus backs off (with the whole "come back next week" thing), and starts to wonder why Jesse would basically summon him to talk if he thinks Gus poisoned the kid.

big ander

FantasticMrFoxdie said:
Yeah I just rewatched that scene too. That fucking laugh is still creeping me out...

I have a new suspicion that Brock wasn't actually poisoned with Ricin per say, but maybe was "stunned" with some zany chemical concoction that Walt came up with. Did the doctors or nurses or Andrea ever confirm Brock was poisoned? Jesse was never let back into the room...And that could be why Gus went back into the hospital. To find out if he was actually poisoned...

lol.gif
The lines that get me are
"I don't know when, I don't know where, or how...all I know is it's gonna happen." At "how" there Cranston hits such a desperate tone, it's perfect.
"To get back at me! Because I'm helping Gus. And this is your way of ripping my heart out before you're dead and gone." Fuck, I keep tearing up at this. Paul is too good.
And then of course the "put a bullet in my head" climax.

Powerhouse of a scene.

demolitio

What are we going to do after next week? Speculate for a year? lol. I'm going to miss this show after next season. Here's to hoping some of them get together to do a new show together since they've proven themselves to be geniuses.

big ander

demolitio said:
What are we going to do after next week? Speculate for a year? lol. I'm going to miss this show after next season. Here's to hoping some of them get together to do a new show together since they've proven themselves to be geniuses.
I know Paul and Cranston are both lining (separate) films up but I don't know if they're filming in this hiatus or after season 5 and I'm on my phone so I can't check.

And yeah, we'll be speculating (read: using memes) for a year.

LaserBuddha said:
And if Walt had done it, I don't think they would have done something as blatant as the gun-spinning thing to spoil it. That's there to put doubt in your mind as to who did the poisoning, and is subtle enough to make people think they're clever for picking up on it (and therefore overlook that they are being manipulated into thinking that way).

I was just speculating like crazy, thus my :lol

Like I said, Walt definitely did not do it...Heisenberg on the other hand, I wouldn't put it past him...and then what the hell was Walt doing/plotting all day? Surely, the one who knocks, would not pace idly.

big ander said:
Powerhouse of a scene.

Truly. Yeah, and how the gun leaves a mark on Walt's forehead. fuuuuuuu.

Overall, this was a good episode. Ambiguity and the not-so-calm before the storm.

ezekial45 said:
http://www.amctv.com/breaking-bad/videos/inside-breaking-bad-episode-412-end-times

Giancarlo Esposito's commentary about Gus' response to hearing Jesse mention that Broc was poisoned was interesting.

This is HUGE, yet I feel like it got overlooked for some reason.

Giancarlo Esposito (Gus) strongly implies here that his character had no idea about Broc being poisoned, but upon finding out about it from Jesse and walking out to his car he realized that Walt "is behind this." This revelation is what fuels Gus's suspicions in the parking garage, knowing that Walt's twisted tactic has created a perfect assassination opportunity. Had Jesse never mentioned the poison, I'm fairly certain that Gus and his men would be dead from the car bomb.

I know a lot of you don't seem to think Walt had the time nor means to poison the boy and that even the idea of pulling that off is extremely far fetched, but take a second to consider the alternative: Gus having a bug planted and knowing about the ricin the entire time and not doing anything about it except wait around for the perfect opportunity to swipe it off Jesse and use it in some crazy plan to manipulate him into killing Mr. White? C'mon, son. That's reaching into "Death Note" territory in terms of genius planning assisted by supernatural foresight.

We all remember how Walt basically killed Jesse's girlfriend with the clear intent of getting Jesse back on his side so that their business relationship can continue. Since then he has become quite the killer when backed into a corner. To think he isn't capable of poisoning a child to save his own children, as well as himself and (thinking long term) his continued success in the meth industry alongside Jesse would be a poor judge of character.

After this season I believe Walt will achieve full on villain status, and by the end of it all he will have nothing to show for it, suffering a Scarface-esque fall.

The Brock stuff is a bit... hmm. I'm not sure if I liked it. Will have to give it time to digest.

Good ep, though. I look forward to reading this thread later.

xbhaskarx

Thinking back on it, I love how the writers made us hate them for the contrived poisoning (it really seemed like a shark-jumping moment at the time), only to make us love them even more when it turned out to not be the case.

The funny thing is the audience is happy to see the Walt-Jesse bromance return, but Jesse would have pulled the trigger had he known what Walt did to his girlfriend. And despite all the awful things he has done, with the bromance scene and the attempted assassination of Gus, the audience is firmly back in Walt's corner.

Copernicus said:
It'd be amazing if they reveal that walt actually did poison the kid in the finale!

That would retroactively make this the best episode in television history.

GavinGT

Banned
The timeline of the events makes much of this conversation moot. The kid got sick the very same day he was allegedly poisoned, which goes against what we know about ricin. Estimates online range from 24-78 hours. The only way it could've been ricin poisoning, then, is if Brock stole the cigarette the night he was over at Jesse's. This could only mean Jesse got his days mixed up, thinking he opened a new pack that morning while really it was the day before.

Then again, the timeline doesn't make a whole lot of sense as presented. Walt goes from leaving Jesse's house sometime that night (seems to be about 8 pm, since the kid is still awake) to talking to Gus in the desert the next morning. That's about 12 hours that are unaccounted for - what, did they just sit in Tyrus's car all night? Surely they didn't drive for twelve hours, as Gus would have had to make a similar journey. Then, Walt is cut loose in the desert (almost certainly left stranded), and somehow makes it back home to talk to Skyler by mid-day. If that's the accepted chain of events, there's literally no way Walt poisoned Brock.

Thoraxes

The thing i'm interested in, is if it was Walt, how the fuck did he lie straight to Jesse's face so well?

Walt has never been that good at lying. There's a first time for everything sure, but damn.

This mystery has really good arguments from all sides right now, and honestly all the evidence points to everyone being correct. This shit is crazy.

Fuzzery

GavinGT said:
The timeline of the events makes much of this conversation moot. The kid got sick the very same day he was allegedly poisoned, which goes against what we know about ricin. Estimates online range from 24-78 hours. The only way it could've been ricin poisoning, then, is if Brock stole the cigarette the night he was over at Jesse's. This could only mean Jesse got his days mixed up, thinking he opened a new pack that morning while really it was the day before.

Then again, the timeline doesn't make a whole lot of sense as presented. Walt goes from leaving Jesse's house sometime that night (seems to be about 8 pm, since the kid is still awake) to talking to Gus in the desert the next morning. That's about 12 hours that are unaccounted for - what, did they just sit in Tyrus's car all night? Surely they didn't drive for twelve hours, as Gus would have had to make a similar journey. Then, Walt is cut loose in the desert (almost certainly left stranded), and somehow makes it back home to talk to Skyler by mid-day. If that's the accepted chain of events, there's literally no way Walt poisoned Brock.
IIRC, walt's car was in the shot during the desert scene

NaughtyCalibur said:
This is HUGE, yet I feel like it got overlooked for some reason.

Giancarlo Esposito (Gus) strongly implies here that his character had no idea about Broc being poisoned, but upon finding out about it from Jesse and walking out to his car he realized that Walt "is behind this." This revelation is what fuels Gus's suspicions in the parking garage, knowing that Walt's twisted tactic has created a perfect assassination opportunity. Had Jesse never mentioned the poison, I'm fairly certain that Gus and his men would be dead from the car bomb.

I know a lot of you don't seem to think Walt had the time nor means to poison the boy and that even the idea of pulling that off is extremely far fetched, but take a second to consider the alternative: Gus having a bug planted and knowing about the ricin the entire time and not doing anything about it except wait around for the perfect opportunity to swipe it off Jesse and use it in some crazy plan to manipulate him into killing Mr. White? C'mon, son. That's reaching into "Death Note" territory in terms of genius planning assisted by supernatural foresight.

We all remember how Walt basically killed Jesse's girlfriend with the clear intent of getting Jesse back on his side so that their business relationship can continue. Since then he has become quite the killer when backed into a corner. To think he isn't capable of poisoning a child to save his own children, as well as himself and (thinking long term) his continued success in the meth industry alongside Jesse would be a poor judge of character.

After this season I believe Walt will achieve full on villain status, and by the end of it all he will have nothing to show for it, suffering a Scarface-esque fall.

How is that far fetched at all? Its entirely possible Mike had Jesse's house bugged earlier in the season and so Gus has known about the ricin all along, but him waiting for the perfect opportunity to use it doesn't seem strange to me at all.

First Gus needed Walt to continue cooking so he couldn't afford to take the cigarette off of Jesse then, because that would send Walt into a panic, and he would refuse to cook. It was only when Gus started to get Jesse to do the cook on his own, that he was able to come up with a plan to drive a wedge between Walt and Jesse by poisoning the kid. Besides it's possible that Gus was desperate to get rid of Walt after he brought the DEA around and came up with the plan to poison Brock.

BTW Esposito's reaction might not mean anything because I'm fairly certain they film those inside videos while shooting the season, so it could be that Gus poisoned the kid but he (Esposito) didn't know yet at the time because they hadn't filmed the final episode yet.

I don't know, maybe you're right and Walt did poison the kid, but that seems so extreme even for Walt.

Thoraxes

To throw out some more random thought fodder while I try to guess what's even going to happen next episode:
This is under the assumption that the kid was even poisoned. He could just have a really bad cold or something stupid. We can't even account for the ricin being used yet, and the only thing we can go on is Jesse's assumptions while being completely being caught up in the moment. Ricin is undetectable, right? Can't be traced or anything? Sure he may not have it anymore, but that doesn't necessarily even mean that the kid took it somehow.

Also seeing the video interviews, they only mention that the cigarette is gone, but nothing about Brock actually being poisoned with the Ricin.

GavinGT

Banned
Fuzzery said:
IIRC, walt's car was in the shot during the desert scene

jahwqp.png

That does really look like his Aztec, I guess. However, he specifically says to Jesse, "They TOOK me into the desert." Plus, they put a bag over his head, which is sort of pointless if he's driving himself there.

Farooq

Banned
GavinGT said:
jahwqp.png

That does really look like his Aztec, I guess. However, he specifically says to Jesse, "They TOOK me into the desert." Plus, they put a bag over his head, which is sort of pointless if he's driving himself there.

His Aztec got trashed. That was a rental car. It was present in the background when Walt was getting tazed by Tyrus.

Also the white car is seen in the opening scene of the episode in Walt's driveway.

Walt's car was most likely driven by that new enforcer.

Why are you people assuming he was poisoned with riccin? It was never actually confirmed. It wouldn't surprise me if Walt did poison the kid with something non-deadly, and have Huel replace the cigarettes during the frisking. He could have convinced Saul by saying Gus threatened him. I mean he seemed intent on staying the previous episode "I have to live here, buddy." yet he is telling Jesse he is hitting the road hours later? Just seemed like a ploy to me.

I really don't think it was Gus, my only question is how either of them could have possibly administered it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom