• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Generations Announced [PS3 / XBOX 360 / PC / 3DS] - No Wii Version Official

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Zen said:
Oh grow the hell up. omg no Silver is a rival and there might be one section where you get on a car thing as some sort of homage to Sega and Sonic All Star racers or something. Clearly this outweighs the vast majority of everything we've seen, herp derp.

This is like a bottle of pills falling out from your once-drug addicted friend's coat pocket. Sure, it could be aspirin, but excuse me if I don't get a bit concerned.

TimmiT

OMG Aero said:
From the start they said only Sonic would be playable and that still hasn't changed, and as a celebration of all the Sonic games that have come before the other characters should be in this game.

Not to mention this isn't a new thing, we've known about Shadow and Silver being bosses since the demo came out.
You forgot that through the amazing world of PC game modding, there will be hunderds of skins that won't just let you play as Shadow and Silver, but fancharacters as well!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Kulock said:
I ordered Metal Sonic at New Years, and I still haven't been charged for it yet. They don't charge until just a bit before they ship, and they take a long time to get to that point. So if you do seriously want it, I suggest you go ahead and order it anyway, because they do go ridiculously fast.
Ah, I see. I might look into that, then. Thanks! I have some spare cash now that I cancelled my Type-0 preorder (for the inevitable International/Vita version which we all know is going to eventually come).

Speaking of imports... I've been thinking of getting the Sonic CD soundtrack. I just really like the cover.

R9K8a.jpg

JonCha said:
People know they're just bosses, right?
Based on the reactions in this thread and the PC thread, I sincerely doubt it.

The combined power of Sonic 2006 and Shadow the Hedgehog are just too strong!

Neo Child

Banned
Miri said:
I can believe that.
I'm guilty of it too.

WHAT COMES UP MUST COME DOWN
IF MY FEET DONT TOUCH THE GROUND

DUH DUH DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM

STEP INSIDE ILL TURN THE PAGE
BREAKING THROUGH YOUR CRAZY MAZY

or something. pretty sure thats it. fml.

Lijik

I remember it not being all that bad of a segment in its first appearance.
And then it happened a few more times in some later stages and was a total nightmare.

Zen said:
Oh grow the hell up. omg no Silver is a rival and there might be one section where you get on a car thing as some sort of homage to Sega and Sonic All Star racers or something. Clearly this outweighs the vast majority of everything we've seen, herp derp.

It the fact they think it would be good idea to put them in. I have been down this street to many time with Sonic

I still don't like the idea of two sonic its messy and lazy its like they cant make they minds up.

jump_button said:
I still don't like the idea of two sonic its messy and lazy its like they cant make they minds up.

Or

Or

Or maybe they're catering to two distinct fanbases for their character? It doesn't have to be one or the other, especially when this is a celebration of the entire series.

SykoTech

So they're just putting Silver in Crisis City? Well that's lame. Both Metal Sonic and Shadow got different locations, as do the other boss fights like Death Egg. Not to mention it's completely inaccurate to the past, but Sonic 2006's story is so messed up it hardly matters.

I would have liked to see them fight in Kingdom Valley or something.

Sciz

qq more said:
And @ the url: ...Steam? Shitty Heroes is on Steam? oh god
It's a Steam Community URL, which means that someone ran the game with the Steam overlay and used it to take screenshots, which were then uploaded to the cloud.

qq more

LeonSKennedy90 said:
Or

Or

Or maybe they're catering to two distinct fanbases for their character? It doesn't have to be one or the other, especially when this is a celebration of the entire series.
Yeah, seriously. This is anything but lazy. Sega even makes both Sonics look distinct enough from each other, including their animations.

@Sciz and TimmiT: Oh, okay.

JonCha

jump_button said:
It the fact they think it would be good idea to put them in. I have been down this street to many time with Sonic

They are just bosses, and it wouldn't surprise me if the battles are pretty simple and pretty short.

Lijik

Guys when they replaced the minecart level in Sonic 4 with a new one Jumpbutton also thought it was a total disgrace.
Not because the new level design looked bad or unfun or anything.

But because there was a five second section where you rode in a minecart.
Ignore him.

iavi

Dark Schala said:
Speaking of imports... I've been thinking of getting the Sonic CD soundtrack. I just really like the cover.

R9K8a.jpg

Don't forget the Sonic 1/2 OST release coming up! The power of Nakamura compels you.

Lijik said:
Guys when they replaced the minecart level in Sonic 4 with a new one Jumpbutton also thought it was a total disgrace.
Not because the new level design looked bad or unfun or anything.

But because there was a five second section where you rode in a minecart.
Ignore him.

it was unfun one of the worst levels on Sonic 4 in fact most of Sonic 4 a mess with big spaces of nothing its like you only had two paths most of the time and they didnt care to full the level with anymore

OMG Aero

Boney said:
it's kinda embarassing you know this ending :p

thanks for sharing though *barfs*
There is no reason to be embarrassed about knowing the story to Sonic 2006 because the LP of it is the greatest Let's Play and pretty much required viewing for anyone who likes Sonic enough to post in this thread.

J@hranimo

Banned
^Oh wow, I completely forgot Shadow fights Silver in Sonic 06 as well.

The other people who are tripping about Silver's appearance are on stupid pills -_- no he isn't playable, he is a rival boss. That's it.

xprs22

Neo Member
J@hranimo said:
^Oh wow, I completely forgot Shadow fights Silver in Sonic 06 as well.

The other people who are tripping about Silver's appearance are on stupid pills -_- no he isn't playable, he is a rival boss. That's it.

Exactly; thank God SEGA doesn't allow the group of extremists to dictate the direction of their games. Silver is a well designed, very competant character that can work just fine. The characters didn't mess up the past games, SEGA did. I would think the whiners would have given up on Sonic already. Guess they are too stupid so commit to their own distaste.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Miri said:
Don't forget the Sonic 1/2 OST release coming up! The power of Nakamura compels you.
Already ordered. Can't wait to hear those demos! :D

I have been debating back and forth over ordering the other Anniversary Edition soundtracks, but they're only partial soundtracks (so they might not even be worth the cost), and the exchange rate is pretty sucky too.

Lijik

xprs22 said:
Exactly; thank God SEGA doesn't allow the group of extremists to dictate the direction of their games. Silver is a well designed, very competant character that can work just fine. The characters didn't mess up the past games, SEGA did.

... Okay.

You probably fight Silver in Crisis City since fighting him in that Venice town-hub area would require the team to work up another batch of HD assets, especially since the original just looks like it was ripped straight from the Dreamcast with a slightly better draw-distance.

xprs22 said:
Exactly; thank God SEGA doesn't allow the group of extremists to dictate the direction of their games. Silver is a well designed, very competant character that can work just fine. The characters didn't mess up the past games, SEGA did. I would think the whiners would have given up on Sonic already. Guess they are too stupid so commit to their own distaste.
pfffft ahahaha what the fuck

NOT LIKING THE SAME VIDEOGAME CHARACTERS FROM A CHILDREN'S SERIES I DO IS THE SAME AS TERRORISM YOU... YOU EXTREMISTS.

Please tell me the Sonic 4 thread was filled with similar meltdowns on both sides. All I got to witness was that guy everybody reminisces about getting banned about making a diagram about eye color or something similarly bizarre.

I don't what is worse, jump_man's irrational, bizarre hatred or xprs22's undying, childlike fanboyism. Its two different sides of the coin, but both are just as unappealing.

JonCha

Astrosanity said:
You probably fight Silver in Crisis City since fighting him in that Venice town-hub area would require the team to work up another batch of HD assets, especially since the original just looks like it was ripped straight from the Dreamcast with a slightly better draw-distance.

NOT LIKING THE SAME VIDEOGAME CHARACTERS FROM A CHILDREN'S SERIES I DO IS THE SAME AS TERRORISM YOU... YOU EXTREMISTS.

Please tell me the Sonic 4 thread was filled with similar meltdowns on both sides. All I got to witness was that guy everybody reminisces about getting banned about making a diagram about eye color or something similarly bizarre.

Please link, because I have not seen this whether he was trolling or not.

Teknoman

Well extremist doesnt always equal terrorism. It just means people on the far end of a certain opinion, that refuse to see things any other way.

Anyway, I dont really see a problem with Silver or Shadow. Mario's got a large cast of supporting characters as well as two other "evil twin" characters (I know Silver isnt an evil twin style character but roll with me here), but the thing is, they didnt run the characters into the ground or force you to play with them...or tie shoddy gameplay mechanics to them.

I know they arent playable in Generations, especially since you've got enough differentiation between classic Sonic and modern, but i'm sure there will come a point in time where they will be playable again. When or If this happens, if their gameplay mechanics should be pretty close to Sonic's...aside from minor differences (similar to Mario/Luigi gameplay in Mario Galaxy).

The character designs really arent that bad either, its just the voices/actions assigned to them/ the game they appeared in.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I'm going to need to break this one down:
xprs22 said:
Exactly; thank God SEGA doesn't allow the group of extremists to dictate the direction of their games.
1) Because Sega has a sterling track record with its own Sonic games. The only reason we're getting a Classic Sonic in this game is because of the people who've be unhappy with the direction the series has gone.

Silver is a well designed, very competant character that can work just fine. The characters didn't mess up the past games, SEGA did.

2) This is subjective, so you can get a pass here. To me, Silver's design is unappealing and the character is mostly unnecessary.

I would think the whiners would have given up on Sonic already. Guess they are too stupid so commit to their own distaste.

3) They have "committed to their own distaste" and they do not like anything from the Modern Sonic side. Now, as for giving up on the franchise: fair point and I agree. I had given up on the series, and, if the next game is just more poorly-received Modern Sonic, then I will go back to giving up on the series. However, you're saying that because I don't like Modern Sonic I can no longer be interested in a game that attempts to bring Old Sonic back. That's seriously crazy. Next you'll tell me I'm undeserving if I haven't been watching Sonic X or something.

qq more

xprs22 said:
HAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

HAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

J@hranimo

Banned
xprs22 said:
Exactly; thank God SEGA doesn't allow the group of extremists to dictate the direction of their games......

That's all I could moderately agree with, but everything else? You're on your own buddy.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
This thread has just gotten amazing.

Astrosanity said:
You should check the Sonic 2006 thread out for some interesting posts.

Sometimes when I'm having a bad day, I gloss over that thread and giggle.

qq more

Astrosanity said:

There was a Sonic 06 thread where this guy defended the game to death and seriously compared the physics of Silver's shitty gameplay to friggin' Half Life 2 and said it's better.

LOL dammit Dark Schala beat me to it

qq more said:
There was a Sonic 06 thread where this guy defended the game to death and seriously compared the physics of Silver's shitty gameplay to friggin' Half Life 2 and said it's better.

JDA said:
You know, it's becoming painfully obvious who has and hasn't played this game.

You want revolutionary? Play the Silver levels... Here we have physics based gameplay that's better than Half Life 2's. Yes, I said it. Physics based gameplay that actually works.
Haha, holy shit

It's not even the Half Life part that gets me. It's the "revolutionary" bit.

Dark Schala said:
You should check the Sonic 2006 thread out for some interesting posts.

Sometimes when I'm having a bad day, I gloss over that thread and giggle.

Lijik said:
Funny the 06 thread got brought up.
Trying to find Huelen's amazing eye analysis post I found this compilation ShockingAlberto made of posts from a pre-release 06 thread.

welp time to kill myself

I can honestly say S'06 was the one game anybody and everybody should of seen miles away that it was going to be an enormous trainwreck of almost biblical proportions, regardless of how much you liked Heroes, Shadow or anything else with Sonic's name on it. It was not worth the $5 I spent on it and Shadow pre-owned last year to play out of morbid curiosity.

Top Bottom