• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Generations Announced [PS3 / XBOX 360 / PC / 3DS] - No Wii Version Official

ThoughtsOfSpeaking said:
Doesn't the game come out on the 1st?

thats_the_joke.jpg

Also, if the PS3 version still has that shit framerate from the demo...I don't know what I'm gonna do, but I'm not gonna be in a good mood

Yoshi said:
I don't understand though, why Sega doesn't offer an option to tone down details (even in console versions) of modern Sonics to achieve 60fps. I'd prefer lower res textures and less detailed environments at 60 fps over the great visuals Sonic Generations offer at just 30 fps every day.

You want to count Sonic 2006 as 60 fps? It was anywhere form 10 to 60 fps, but 60 fps was the exception rather than the rule.

EDIT: If you do, shouldn't you also count Sonic Unleashed on PS3, which, albeit being totally instable, sometimes gets up to 60 fps?

Wait what? I've never played Unleashed on the PS3, how often does it reach 60fps?! Holy shit

Zomba13

Kulock said:
More importantly, what TF2 items will we unlock from it?

"Speeder's Sneaks: RED/BLU streak, speeds by..."
"The Doctor's Decoration: A fine mustache that fits any man of science." (Would cause a renewed rush for Hatless Engineer.)

Also make a Medigun skin with a Chaos Emerald embedded in it.
I'd love there to be TF2 tie-in items but I highly doubt thee would be.
I'd probably explode if there was. There could be so many good items. Sonic shoes for scout (as a misc) Knuckles gloves for Heavy (reskin of something), Robotnik glasses/moustache hat/misc, Amy's hammer weapon reskin. Maybe a Sonic head hat thing (like you could get for preordering colours in some places).

M3d10n said:
If there is really a PC version it's day zero for me. How many years has it been since we had a 60fps 3D Sonic game again?
If you want to get technical, Sonic: Zero Gravity for the Wii was 60fps. That was '08.

Uzumaki Goku

I keep debating to myself whether I should get hyped over this or not. The idea of celebrating Sonic's history is cool but.. I think I should wait till the general word of the mouth comes out about it.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Lijik said:
Man I hope so. Sonic-man is the best shitty friend
oh god. >_<

Maybe I should stop playing Tales of Graces, put my Sonic 2006 disc in my PS3 instead, and continue that new game I started last month! :O

RubyEclipse said:
You'll have to wait and see on that one. All I can say is that there are all sorts of really cool extras in the game. No more specifics yet, but fans will definitely enjoy them.
I guess I'll keep my expectations low, because my mind is going many places when you say that. :p

And yet at the same time it's also a game about the Generations of Sonic's fans, too. You remember when you heard that Endless Mine section in the City Escape 2D remix? That was lovingly crafted in there by a fan who used to play Sonic on Genesis, now all grown up. All of us who represent what was once the 'younger' Generation of Sonic fans are now reaching our mid 20's, and here, we have the honor of meeting and working with the older Generations, together, to create a Sonic game that everyone can enjoy.
That was kind of heartwarming. :)
I hope that fruits of everyone's labour ends up truly being enjoyable. I'm not the most nitpickiest fan out there, but I sincerely hope this game plays well, and a wonderful homage to the Sonic series in general. The music certainly demonstrates that, and the level aesthetics too, so I hope the rest of it follows the trend. Even if I have my qualms about the level selection and the omission of the portable/Mega Drive games, I'm still looking forward to it because I grew up with the character.

But after Generations, um, I hope SEGA continues to use that adorable Classic Sonic model. It should not go to waste. I think both Classic Sonic and Modern Sonic can coexist somehow.

Yoshi said:
You want to count Sonic 2006 as 60 fps? It was anywhere form 10 to 60 fps, but 60 fps was the exception rather than the rule.

EDIT: If you do, shouldn't you also count Sonic Unleashed on PS3, which, albeit being totally instable, sometimes gets up to 60 fps?

Uh, no. Sonic 2006's problem is that it was locked at 60fps. Game speed and framerate are independent.

Frameskipping happens in order to keep the game speed at 100%, otherwise you get slowdown. Sonic 2006 doesn't use frameskipping - it's locked at 60, so instead of a bad framerate, the game speed slows down.

xprs22 said:
Anybody else enjoy the original Crisis song better? I think the new mix took away the epic tone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuCONfW58bo
I completely agree, however I'm willing to bet that remix is for the classic Sonic version of Crisis City. As long as the modern Sonic version uses the original mix I'll be happy - after all, the only thing I want to see from Crisis City is what it truly could have been were it not paired with a garbage engine.

ShadiWulf

The Modern-Era trailer has both versions of of the song, just like the dreamcast and genesis era trailers. Just listen closely. During the modern half It's got guitars, and during the classic half it's more a techno dance mix if anything.

Iknos said:
It looks horrible in the vids I've seen do you have any links?

Warning: Major Spoilers, would of given you a direct link to the video, but I'm not gonna risk on clicking that video, want to be fully surprsied

http://segabits.com/blog/2011/10/05/sky-sanctuary-gameplay-video/

JonCha

I've been thinking: was it around Sonic 2k6 when the development team personnel was changed fundamentally, or is this some myth I'm imagining? I could have sworn that 'Sonic Team' is now a much younger studio, and wonder if this fresh outlook has caused the rise in quality we've seen since Unleashed.

ShadiWulf

JonCha said:
I've been thinking: was it around Sonic 2k6 when the development team personnel was changed fundamentally, or is this some myth I'm imagining? I could have sworn that 'Sonic Team' is now a much younger studio, and wonder if this fresh outlook has caused the rise in quality we've seen since Unleashed.
The change happened after Sonic 06. A bunch of young people were hired for Sonic Unleashed, Mainly because Yuji Naka took a good chunk of Sonic Team with him to Prope, probably all the good people =P Because you know, Yuji Naka only accepts the best.

Sonic the Hedgehog 06 was by Shun Nakamura or however you say his name.

Sonic Unleashed and Hedgehog Engine were under the direction of Hashimoto

For Sonic Generations, Colors, Sonic 4 and many years to come Sonic is back under the control of Iizuka-san, after his break from directing Sonic at Sonic Team USA.

Sciz

JonCha said:
There's always some degree of staff turnover going on. Most of the guys in senior positions at the moment have been with the company for ages.

ShadiWulf said:
The change happened after Sonic 06. A bunch of young people were hired for Sonic Unleashed, Mainly because Yuji Naka took a good chunk of Sonic Team with him to Prope, probably all the good people =P Because you know, Yuji Naka only accepts the best.

Sonic the Hedgehog 06 was by Shun Nakamura or however you say his name.

Sonic Unleashed and Hedgehog Engine were under the direction of Hashimoto

For Sonic Generations, Colors, Sonic 4 and many years to come Sonic is back under the control of Iizuka-san, after his break from directing Sonic at Sonic Team USA.
Iizuka isn't directing though. The director of Generations and the director of Sonic 4 are lesser known guys. The director of Black Knght, Colors, and Generations 3ds is Tetsu Kanno, lead programmer on Adventure.Iizuka has input as a producer but mainly is PR at this point.

ShadiWulf

Hitlersaurus Christ said:
Iizuka isn't directing though. The director of Generations and the director of Sonic 4 are lesser known guys. The director of Black Knght, Colors, and Generations 3ds is Tetsu Kanno, lead programmer on Adventure.Iizuka has input as a producer but mainly is PR at this point.

I think the situation is completely reversed now, not saying I'm right, just what I think. I really do think Iizuka has a lot more power then most people think he does. Sonic Generations just reminds me of the adventure games in more ways then one, and Iizuka was the one in control of those games. He even said in an interview that one of his favorite parts of Generations is making his past creations even better.

I guess we will know for sure if he is in control or not if we hear about him firing Dimps one day for butchering radical highway =P

TimmiT

You can now pre-order the game on GreenManGaming for 29.99: http://www.greenmangaming.com/games/adventure/sonic-generations/

EDIT: System requirements:
Minimum Requirements
Microsoft Windows 7/Vista/XP Intel Pentium Dual-Core T4200 (2x2.0GHz) or AMD equivalent 2GB RAM (Windows 7/XP)/3GB RAM (Windows Vista) NVIDIA GeForce 8800 / ATI Radeon HD 2900 11 GB free hard drive space

Recommended Requirements
Microsoft Windows 7 Intel Core i5 @ 2.66 GHz / AMD Phenom II X4 @ 3.0 GHz 3GB RAM NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 / ATI Radeon HD 5850 11 GB free hard drive space

LeonSKennedy90 said:
thats_the_joke.jpg

Also, if the PS3 version still has that shit framerate from the demo...I don't know what I'm gonna do, but I'm not gonna be in a good mood

Games Radar played the PS3 version recently and did not mention this as an issue. I also hope the PS3 version has a stable frame rate. Also said the average jump height has been increased and some objects removed from modern Sonic's path on certain stages.

IpsoFacto

Bucket-o-roadkill said:
Poor guy. Imagine having to live with that for the rest of your life. YOU were at the helm for that abomination. Fuck.

He was also the game director for Samba de Amigo and Billy Hatcher and the Giant Egg...

Sciz

Sega1991 said:
Those system requirements are a bit higher than I anticipated for a console game port.
The numbers have been creeping up as the generation goes on and raw power supplants the need for optimization.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Happy for the people who can play this on PC. It's about time! I can't wait to see all the mods the community can come up with. :D

LeonSKennedy90 said:
At least it seems like it's fixed according to journalists.

But man, if it's still kinda bad, I'd hate to treat this game like I did the Super Mario Galaxy games - play them in short spurts to avoid getting motion sickness. What I liked about Sonic Colours was that I didn't have to do that, and I could play the game as long as I wanted because it never made me nauseous at all.

Dark Schala said:
But man, if it's still kinda bad, I'd hate to treat this game like I did the Super Mario Galaxy games - play them in short spurts to avoid getting motion sickness.

Haha, funny you should mention this. I had to do that with Sonic Unleashed

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
ShadiWulf said:
Glad the PC specs are finally released. Now I know to build a Core i5 PC when i get around to building a new PC xD

Core i5(-2500k) seems to be the hot CPU on the block right now, I'm choosing it for my new TOR/Dolphin
/Sonic Generations?
PC later this year.

I meet the minimum right now except for my GPU which is a few months older than the minimum card. :(

Pretty sure I meet the recommended specs almost exactly, but that is a bit higher than what I was expecting. What's a good site to use that can automatically tell how well your PC will run a certain game?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Bucket-o-roadkill said:
Haha, funny you should mention this. I had to do that with Sonic Unleashed
As did I (and this has happened with other recent Sonic games like the Wii games outside of Sonic Colours). That one was weird for me, though--I played it a bit, rested, played it a bit, rested, played it a bit, took Gravol... lol. I'm one of those people who can't play certain games or certain types of games because they will probably give me motion sickness (mostly first-person perspective games, but I can tolerate some of them like Metroid Prime).

The only Sonic game in recent memory that made me feel physically ill to the point of having to either throw up or take Gravol then go to sleep for a while (and I'm not even cracking a joke or anything; I'm being serious here) was Sonic 2006. I really disliked the camera and some of the ways the game played, and it ended up making me sick as a result. How I played it to completion, I will never know. -_-

ezodagrom

Hmm...now I'm wondering...maybe the recommended requirements are taking into consideration the stereoscopic 3D. If the game runs at 60fps, stereoscopic 3D would basically use as much resources as running the game at 120fps (60fps for each eye).

If the recommended requirements aren't taking 3D into consideration, then to run the game smoothly at 3D would require a monster of a PC. xD

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Klaymator14 said:
http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/119/1199431p1.html IGN's Preview is up. Haven't read it yet, so... <3
So essentially it's stuff we already know, even after the delay?
KuGsj.gif

They talk about the hub world (ie: what it looks like and how it "plays"--but we kind of know this after seeing that hub world video), what Seaside Hill looks like, what City Escape looks like (and about the truck a little), how the music sounds and the fact that the drowning theme is in there.

Top Bottom