• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

Aeana

Starting up FF9.
Let's see how long the opening sword fight takes me this time (I cannot move on until I please all of the mans).

Emitan

Aeana said:
Starting up FF9.
Let's see how long the opening sword fight takes me this time (I cannot move on until I please all of the mans).
I always get ~95 and give up. I really need to beat FFIX. I'm at Treno (or whatever that town is at the beginning of disk 2) and I haven't played in forever. I never beat anything!

Barret: probably duckroll lol
Tifa: ULTROS!
Aerith: Boney
Yuffie: ???
Vincent: Dark Schala
Cait Sith: Gravijah

Gonna start playing in a bit, have something to take care of.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Professor Beef said:
Yuffie: ???

Gonna start playing in a bit, have something to take care of.

Try Kagari for Yuffie. :p

Aeana

Flip-floppingggg. Now I am downloading the NA version of FF8 from PSN because my guy has never played it before and he expressed interest in it based on the videos I showed him.

Billychu said:
you forgot meeeeeee
Oh right, you're Cid. I knew I forgot someone.

Yuffie: Kagari :)D)
Cid: Billychu
Aeana said:
I'm just glad I didn't get put for Aeris. Everybody always names Aeris after me for some reason.
Because they like you~

If you want I can make you Barret instead, though.

Tristam

In IX, I could NOT get the Athlete Queen racing that stupid hippo kid. I never thought X's sidequests (getting the ultimate weapons) were too difficult; that frickin' hippo race in IX though...

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Looking forward to see Cloud and ULTROS!'s date in Gold Saucer.

Tristam said:
In IX, I could NOT get the Athlete Queen racing that stupid hippo kid. I never thought X's sidequests (getting the ultimate weapons) were too difficult; that frickin' hippo race in IX though...
I actually managed to get that. My fingers were so damn sore afterwards, but I felt proud of myself even though all I got out of it were a couple of rare cards and the Key Item.

Decided to start replaying FFVI today. Been a while since I've played it all the way through.

Savb4l.jpg

ULTROS!

Lucky Number Seven Force said:
Decided to start replaying FFVI today. Been a while since I've played it all the way through.

http://i.imgur.com/Savb4l.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

I call dibs on Gogo.

Oh wait, I'm already in the game!

Its amazing how easy it is to start these games up again. So many little things you might have missed, as well as an almost infinite amount of things to do differently. Especially true if you have some restraint and impose a self-inflicted challenge on yourself.

ie: FF V No Coin-toss, FF VI No Ultima Weapon, FF VIII limit squalls attack power a bit.

Just these last few weeks I have been playing through FF VIII using strict rules. Each of the six main characters represents a classic FF job, which is determined by your GF's ability set. Pretty much means that you can't draw every spell for every character, and you have to rely on other skills you might not have used before. It was really quite fun, and made the crew feel much more unique than normal. Zell was a badass Whitemage, Squall was a strict Blackmage, Irvine was a thief and could inflict status ailments with his weapons, etc, etc.

And I am starting FF IX again now and trying to figure out what my challenge is this time. An all magic user party? Finally take down Ozma? Actually do the card game? These kinds of thoughts keep me coming back years later, and I always find something new. Even if its a little npc message that I had never seen, or a reference to a past FF that I was oblivious to. All this boils down to one of the finest games Square has ever made.

Professor Beef said:
Ozma is such a dick, even after figuring out how to out-cheat him.

Well he's going down this time...I swear. Under a year ago I got to him, was so excited, tried a few times and lost interest due to frustration. I guess I could go back to that save, but for some reason I feel like I have an expiration date on my save games in jrpgs. If its like a year old I will force myself to start over. Sure I have lost countless hours doing that though.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Okay, for Crimson Sphere 1, I have to go back to where I fought the boss at the end of the Chapter 2?

Seda

Professor Beef said:
Ozma is such a dick, even after figuring out how to out-cheat him.

I leveled up my guys all to 99 using the ram-enemies, thinking you'd have to be a high level to even stand a chance (like some other secret bosses in other games).

Wasn't necessary at all...kind of ruined it actually.

TheSeks said:
Okay, for Crimson Sphere 1, I have to go back to where I fought the boss at the end of the Chapter 2?

Yes. There's actually quite an interesting scene down here that explains a lot, but it's totally optional.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Aeana said:
Flip-floppingggg. Now I am downloading the NA version of FF8 from PSN because my guy has never played it before and he expressed interest in it based on the videos I showed him.
LOL! That's why I'm considering playing FFVIII too! I got my boyfriend in the mood because we started talking about it last night, so now we want to play it together and MST3K it. Or compete to see who completes it faster (this is the likelier scenario because he's really competitive when it comes to gaming).

Aeana said:
The only correct way to play FF7 is for Cloud to date Barret.
This. All the other dates are so lacklustre in comparison.

Seda said:
I leveled up my guys all to 99 using the ram-enemies, thinking you'd have to be a high level to even stand a chance (like some other secret bosses in other games).

Wasn't necessary at all...kind of ruined it actually.
My levels were in the 50-60 range because I heard he can be beaten at that range at first. I got demolished, then read that the fucker cheats by getting his ATB insta-filled as a reaction to you making a decision. What kind of sorcery is that!?

Boney

Banned
Professor Beef said:
Just saved Boney from Reno and walked him home, stopping here for the night. Why you so low level? :|
you better use me!

I don't wanna die underleveled! Hell I don't want to die use gameshark :(

Lucky Number Seven Force said:

Savb4l.jpg

I've got that sitting around here, but haven't gotten anywhere further than Figaro Castle yet. :/

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Boney said:
you better use me!

Would you like him to take you on a date?

Let's think about this. He can date:
-duckroll
-Boney
-ULTROS!
-Kagari

Boney would be in the lead (because it's the default pick), followed by ULTROS!, then Kagari, then finally duckroll (which you have to work for). Hmmm...

Aeana

Dark Schala said:
LOL! That's why I'm considering playing FFVIII too! I got my boyfriend in the mood because we started talking about it last night, so now we want to play it together and MST3K it. Or compete to see who completes it faster (this is the likelier scenario because he's really competitive when it comes to gaming).
He doesn't really play RPGs, so I've been trying to get him to try them out. So far he's only played Mother 3, but he really liked it. More likely with FF8 though, I will be playing and he'll watch. I think the time commitment gets him more than actual lack of interest.

Emitan

Dark Schala said:
Would you like him to take you on a date?

Let's think about this. He can date:
-duckroll
-Boney
-ULTROS!
-Kagari

Boney would be in the lead (because it's the default pick), followed by ULTROS!, then Kagari, then finally duckroll (which you have to work for). Hmmm...
Who wouldn't want to date Duckroll?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Seda said:
Yes. There's actually quite an interesting scene down here that explains a lot, but it's totally optional.

Damn it. :/ Guess I gotta travel back down there. *mumble grumble*

I've basically gone "fuck it" to the side missions as they're all mostly filler and too many of them and am trying to complete X-2's main story at this point with the spheres for
Paine's backstory
? as well.

Electivirus said:
I've got that sitting around here, but haven't gotten anywhere further than Figaro Castle yet. :/
I got as far as the point where Sabin joins earlier this morning, turned my DS off and realized I didn't save at all after starting the game. >:|

I'll probably start (again) later tonight.

Boney

Banned
ladies ladies! stop making us single guys so jealous.

hopefully our favourite digimon will choose me and I'll join your select club

Roto13

Started playing Final Fantasy XIII again after starting it and losing interest near the end. (I had other things I wanted to play and one of the late-game bosses killed me and I just couldn't be assed to try again.) My last PS3 died so I had to start a new file. I was kind of curious to see if maybe I'd like it more the second time, like I did XII.

The game definitely has more than its fair share of problems, but the battle system is still pretty great. Basically putting the game on rails was an incredibly stupid idea, though. I think if it was more open, people would have been more receptive of it. Hell, X was super linear too, but at least there was room for side quests and backtracking, and I guess that was enough for most people. :p

LayLa

just started playing FF3 for the first time (DS version, £4 on ebay!)
seems solid enough so far.

I got the new issue of Retro Gamer magazine today, and the next issue page at the back has a large picture of Sephiroth and the text "The Making Of Final fantasy VII : In a world exclusive, Retro Gamer reveals the full story behind Square's greatest RPG" (also promises an interview with Masato Maegawa about the making of Radiant Silvergun!)

Emitan

Boney said:

I have a joke for you.

Do you know what's great about being single?

Nothing. :(

Boney said:
you better use me!

I'm playing the PSN version, so no gameshark for you. I'm prepared for your death, so should you!
Billychu said:
Who wouldn't want to date Duckroll?
Aeana said:
Been there.
It's not worth it, man.
KuGsj.gif

Boney said:

ohgosh.jpg

I guess this would be a bad time to say that although I purchased one of your flowers, I chose the "jerk" options when I crash-landed in the church. :x

ULTROS!

Speaking of Tifa: http://i50.tinypic.com/w9xy6o.png

I like how her assets serve as an anchor to carry her and Cloud up... And how Cloud looks at them.

Slight spoilerish but whatever.

Top Bottom