• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

Kazerei said:
NPCs say the darndest things

cimg0525z.jpg
The
cheese biscuits
line always gives me a laugh. And of course, everything
Ghido
says.

waicol

Banned
Lucky Number Seven Force said:
I got as far as the point where Sabin joins earlier this morning, turned my DS off and realized I didn't save at all after starting the game. >:|

I'll probably start (again) later tonight.
If you did'nt did it on your unsaved save, steal Mog's gear when you have to save Terra on Narshe caves. It's pretty helpful early game.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Aeana said:
He doesn't really play RPGs, so I've been trying to get him to try them out. So far he's only played Mother 3, but he really liked it. More likely with FF8 though, I will be playing and he'll watch. I think the time commitment gets him more than actual lack of interest.
I've noticed that happening lately too. Outside of Tales of Xillia, he hasn't played that many RPGs because he just can't find the time to invest in them anymore unless he's really interested in them/boards the hype train for them. It generally takes a lot of coaxing for him to play something that he's not very interested in (like Mother 3, which he ended up liking).

We're still deciding between FFIX or FFVIII. Leaning towards FFIX today (because "it's easier and less time consuming to play in terms of sidequests"), but who knows what'll happen tomorrow!

Boney said:
ladies ladies! stop making us single guys so jealous.

hopefully our favourite digimon will choose me and I'll join your select club
You might need to work for his love... but if that's the case, it might not be worth it, man.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I like VIII and IX a lot, but VIII is so much easier to sink your teeth into just because of the long ass loads in IX.

Also Tetra Master sucks and Triple Triad was GotY 1999.

Dragon

Banned
Man God said:
I like VIII and IX a lot, but VIII is so much easier to sink your teeth into just because of the long ass loads in IX.

Also Tetra Master sucks and Triple Triad was GotY 1999.

VIII has a lot more managing in terms of the junctioning/drawing. FFIX is much more streamlined IMO. But yeah battles are Lost Odyssey long which is not a good thing.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
There is absolutely zero improvement on the PSN versions. I marathoned all three last year around this time.

Emulators are a whole different story. Very good way to play IX.

Aeana

H_Prestige said:
I didn't notice any difference. Maybe there is technically a slight improvement but it still felt slow as shit from what I remember.
There is no difference. The PSN version (on PS3 anyway) doesn't even have a disc speed option. So it loads exactly like the game does on a PS1.

Emitan

If the loading is the same then I don't know what you're complaining about. It's fine to me and I grew up on the N64.

Gravijah

Billychu said:
If the loading is the same then I don't know what you're complaining about. It's fine to me and I grew up on the N64.

i guess you're just really patient. eitherway, the loading gives you time to do other things like yell at stupid chileans on windows live messenger.

Boney

Banned
Gravijah said:
i guess you're just really patient. eitherway, the loading gives you time to do other things like yell at stupid chileans on windows live messenger.
*sniff*

back at you

stupid chilean

Emitan

Gravijah said:
Maybe it's because I'm ADD. Loading screens don't bother me. And ewwww who uses Windows Live messenger. Just use Steam.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Play all three PSX titles in a row and you'll notice a progression of increasing load times. You are probably doubling the average battle length from VIII to IX and tripling from VII to IX.

IX stresses the PSX more than most games and you can really tell. Some of those models are outright gorgeous for the time.

Aeana

Billychu said:
Maybe it's because I'm ADD. Loading screens don't bother me. And ewwww who uses Windows Live messenger. Just use Steam.
Probably people who want to be able to chat on platforms other than those that can run Steam.
I want to slap the people I know who have gone Steam-exclusive. Except I can't because I am usually on my phone or iPad, and my slaps won't reach them since I can't get on Steam there.

Gravijah

Billychu said:

you'll never get to see my devola avatar on windows live messenger then! ;)

Aeana said:
Probably people who want to be able to chat on platforms other than those that can run Steam.
I want to slap the people I know who have gone Steam-exclusive. Except I can't because I am usually on my phone or iPad, and my slaps won't reach them since I can't get on Steam there.

i have to use AIM, windows live messenger, sometimes yahoo for the odd person, steam chat, facebook messenger... so much different stuffs. :(

Emitan

Aeana said:
maybe theyre on steam so you cant slap them

And Gravi and Bowney are always online on Steam. Well Gravijahs usually asleep.

Aeana said:
This is why I use Trillian and Steam. I'm always available.
Boney said:
beef kill me fast i don't want to live anymroe :(
I already killed you in TF2, what more do you want me to do?

Emitan

Professor Beef said:
This is why I use Trillian and Steam. I'm always available.

I already killed you in TF2, what more do you want me to do?
you only killed me because my controls were set to default

how am i supposed to play with normal controls theyre dumb

Boney said:
beef kill me fast i don't want to live anymroe :(
cheer up bowney

Wilsongt

I thought FFXII was great, but there were two things that I really didn't like: 1) Random treasure chest. 2) The FFVII/FFVIII "Me too" feel that the characters had in terms of their battle abilities. They all become so samey...

Of course, both problems were fixed in the International version, which better fucking be the version Square-Enix ports to HD.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Gravijah said:
i have to use AIM, windows live messenger, sometimes yahoo for the odd person, steam chat, facebook messenger... so much different stuffs. :(
Or you could be like me and stop using them altogether! :p I don't even spend much time on facebook anymore unless I have to message an old friend or a family member for something.

Man God said:
Play all three PSX titles in a row and you'll notice a progression of increasing load times. You are probably doubling the average battle length from VIII to IX and tripling from VII to IX.

IX stresses the PSX more than most games and you can really tell. Some of those models are outright gorgeous for the time.
Maybe it's because I'm a little patient when it comes to loading times, but I never really had a problem with with it. But considering I haven't played either game in a while, maybe I might have a change of heart regarding the load times.

But yeah, FFVII was pretty instantaneous. The camera pans in VIII and IX, I assume, masked the loading. That was pretty smart.

Aeana

I just use IRC. I use an IRC interface for other messengers like AIM and GTalk as well. Steam is the odd thing out. Valve really needs to create some sort of Steam community app for other platforms that includes chat.

Emitan

Aeana said:
I just use IRC. I use an IRC interface for other messengers like AIM and GTalk as well. Steam is the odd thing out. Valve really needs to create some sort of Steam community app for other platforms that includes chat.
I remember them saying forever ago they're going to get Steam on iOS to some degree.

Then again I remember them saying they were going to support Linux with all their games :/

MSN is the only one for me. Maybe Steam if my friends are using it, though I don't particularly use Steam, myself.

Also, I should really pick up VII again. Left off at the Train Graveyard...

Gravijah

Dark Schala said:
Or you could be like me and stop using them altogether! :p I don't even spend much time on facebook anymore unless I have to message an old friend or a family member for something.

noooo, i need my internet messaging services.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Professor Beef said:
I hope ULTROS is happy, I dressed up like a girl just to keep Don Corneo from having sex with you.

Don't forget to look for my pantsu later during the flashback scenes!

Aeana

Just subscribe to the thread and check your subscriptions. Not really a big deal.

Also, my fiance has informed me that FF8 has better music than FF9. Too bad, FF9 music fans. Too bad.
I totally agree with him.

xxczx

Man God said:

VII had literally no loading time at all (that I noticed) playing on my PSP, battles feel fast and more exciting if you crank up the battle speed.
After I finished it I bought FFVIII and everything just seems so slow (the ATB bar stops when someone is attacking/casting which cannot be undone in settings), it's been a while since I've played IX but I like the battles much better than VIII (VII still tops), it would be better if it didn't have the 10 second camera sweep of the enemies every damn battle.

Aeana

Boney said:
you guys are so wrong you're perfect for each other

never played VIII
Yeah, I'm always "wrong" about FF9's music. FF9 was the first game I ever played that made me actually mute the TV. I'm sorry, Oeilvert, your music is terribad.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Aeana said:
Yeah, I'm always "wrong" about FF9's music. FF9 was the first game I ever played that made me actually mute the TV. I'm sorry, Oeilvert, your music is terribad.
I agree, I don't like Oeilvert's music very much. But on the whole, I think FF9's soundtrack has better cohesion thematically and settings-wise. But FF8 has better individual tracks like final battle themes, but it lacks... cohesion, I guess? It has good "parts", and it's nice to listen to the "parts"; but overall, the sum of its parts don't add up to surpass FF9's sum, if that makes sense.

Great. Now my boyfriend's rummaging through his soundtracks to compare FF8's and FF9's soundtracks fully. -_-

Roto13

Aeana said:
Ha ha ha ha ha, what. Preferring Final Fantasy VIII's music to Final Fantasy IX's is one thing as they both have excellent soundtracks, but you actually think IX's music is bad? What the hell is wrong with your ears?

Aeana

Roto13 said:
Ha ha ha ha ha, what. Preferring Final Fantasy VIII's music to Final Fantasy IX's is one thing as they both have excellent soundtracks, but you actually think IX's music is bad? What the hell is wrong with your ears?
No, I don't think FF9's music is bad. I just hate the song I mentioned. Beyond that I find a couple of other songs to be boring, but the soundtrack is not bad.
I'm not actually a big Uematsu fan in general, I just like how many songs in FF8 use electric piano. That is the quickest way into my heart.

Emitan

I don't "get" FFVIII's world map theme. It's so weird. It sounds like some low budget random garbage RPG's world map theme.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Ugh, I can't get to Beville at the start of Chapter 3 since I sided with the Youth League, seriously? :/ When can I get to it?

Emitan

From the sound of it 4WoL is like the NES games, which sounds interesting, but I found them a bit tedious. Do they fix that? I don't mind things like the item limit, but FF1 especially really feels like a slog.

Xux

Billychu said:
I don't "get" FFVIII's world map theme. It's so weird. It sounds like some low budget random garbage RPG's world map theme.

wut I think that's, like, the best song in the series alongside Ruins of Madain Sari.

duckroll

Billychu said:
From the sound of it 4WoL is like the NES games, which sounds interesting, but I found them a bit tedious. Do they fix that? I don't mind things like the item limit, but FF1 especially really feels like a slog.

4WoL is really nothing much like a real FF game imo. It feels like a poor DQ knock-off with FF style art/monsters.

Billychu said:
It's definitely weird, but I think it fits.
and don't take that to mean I think FFVIII is a low-budget random garbage RPG ;-)

Top Bottom