• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Billychu said:
Wow, just noticed that there aren't rows in FFVIII. Or equipment. This game is weird.

You don't need rows. I never understood the fascination with them outside of "Oh, my mages don't get hit unless my warrior/tanks get KO'ed to where they're brought up or back-attacked."

Emitan

TheSeks said:
You don't need rows. I never understood the fascination with them outside of "Oh, my mages don't get hit unless my warrior/tanks get KO'ed to where they're brought up or back-attacked."
They take less damage. There were awesome ranged weapons in FFVI that let you attack from the back row for full damage.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
If I remember correctly, the game becomes more difficult if you get a higher level. So it's better you let your level stay as low as possible with strong equipment/junction stuff.

Aeana

ULTROS! said:
If I remember correctly, the game becomes more difficult if you get a higher level. So it's better you let your level stay as low as possible with strong equipment/junction stuff.
That's true, but I never bought into the idea of using stuff like enc-none to stay low level. It creates what I feel is a really boring game. The way I play is to just fight stuff normally while getting strong magic from cards along the way. Works well, isn't too easy, game goes smoothly. Of course I also tend to keep everyone in critical health and abuse limit breaks, but who doesn't?

ULTROS! said:
All monsters, with the exception of some bosses and Islands Closest to Heaven/Hell, level up with your party.

Snake

Yeah, whenever I do an enc-none playthrough of FFVIII it winds up being very unsatisfying.

In theory, I do it so that I can use the proper str/mag/etc-bonuses when I have enough of the right GFs, but by the end I'm usually too bored to even do that.

ediy: And for FFVI gba, the biggest crime is definitely The Decisive Battle (regular boss battles)
I could almost forgive everything else, but this just ruins the atmosphere for much of the game.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Hokuten said:
ediy: And for FFVI gba, the biggest crime is definitely The Decisive Battle (regular boss battles)
I could almost forgive everything else, but this just ruins the atmosphere for much of the game.
Aggggghhhhh... All that pointless staccato... The Fierce Battle and Slam Shuffle also suffer.

And I agree that an Enc-None game is boring. I did that in my second run-through of FFVIII and I really didn't feel like I was experiencing the benefits the system had to offer me as a player. It's kind of cool to do a low level run in theory, but in practice, it can get boring.

Emitan

Final Fantasy VIII

Just completed the Tomb of the Unknown King and returned to town. Am I really at the end of disk 1 already?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Billychu said:
Final Fantasy VIII

Just completed the Tomb of the Unknown King and returned to town. Am I really at the end of disk 1 already?
About there, yeah. You just have one major event and a few boss battles and then you're done.

What'd you name the Brothers?

Emitan

Dark Schala said:
About there, yeah. You just have one major event and a few boss battles and then you're done.

What'd you name the Brothers?
I couldn't come up with a name. So they're still just Brothers.

Playing FFVII before I go to sleep is a chore. o___O

While at Kalm, I told my backstory which made everybody love me a bunch, except for ULTROS who pretended like most of the stuff never happened. Silly ULTROS. Anyways, we all left and I went to some Chocobo farm where I had to pay a ridiculous sum for some materia that would let me catch one of those awful birds so I could cross the snake-filled swamp. I tried getting the Beta enemy skill early, but it did just enough damage that I wouldn't survive it.

After getting through a cave filled with Turks, the party managed to find Condor Tower. I lied and told them I would help in exchange for a free bed to rest in. Once I got what I wanted from them, I traveled through a forest (read: grinded in the forest for 20 or so minutes) and found a ninja! Naturally she was no match for us, so we invited her to join our party. Turns out her name is Kagari, and she likes to laugh like "nyuk nyuk nyuk." We're attributing that to some kind of sickness.

Once we got out of said forest, we went to Junon where we had to save some stupid little girl playing with a dolphin. Once we wiped out the thing that was causing all the trouble, I was forced to administer CPR despite only learning it 10 seconds prior. However, the girl recovered and she even gave me a summon as a reward. I guess some kids aren't so bad after all. The little girl told us that President Rufus was having a celebration up in the city area of Junon, so we naturally decide to kill visit him. Unfortunately the only way to get up there is to traverse an electrified area near water. And for some strange reason, my so-called "faithful party members" thought it was a great idea to send their beloved Beef up there.

YOU'RE ALL A BUNCH OF JERKS, YOU KNOW THAT?

Emitan

Professor Beef said:
Playing FFVII before I go to sleep is a chore. o___O

While at Kalm, I told my backstory which made everybody love me a bunch, except for ULTROS who pretended like most of the stuff never happened. Silly ULTROS. Anyways, we all left and I went to some Chocobo farm where I had to pay a ridiculous sum for some materia that would let me catch one of those awful birds so I could cross the snake-filled swamp. I tried getting the Beta enemy skill early, but it did just enough damage that I wouldn't survive it.

After getting through a cave filled with Turks, the party managed to find Condor Tower. I lied and told them I would help in exchange for a free bed to rest in. Once I got what I wanted from them, I traveled through a forest (read: grinded in the forest for 20 or so minutes) and found a ninja! Naturally she was no match for us, so we invited her to join our party. Turns out her name is Kagari, and she likes to laugh like "nyuk nyuk nyuk." We're attributing that to some kind of sickness.

Once we got out of said forest, we went to Junon where we had to save some stupid little girl playing with a dolphin. Once we wiped out the thing that was causing all the trouble, I was forced to administer CPR despite only learning it 10 seconds prior. However, the girl recovered and she even gave me a summon as a reward. I guess some kids aren't so bad after all. The little girl told us that President Rufus was having a celebration up in the city area of Junon, so we naturally decide to kill visit him. Unfortunately the only way to get up there is to traverse an electrified area near water. And for some strange reason, my so-called "faithful party members" thought it was a great idea to send their beloved Beef up there.

You guys are mean. I'm just gonna drink my (goddamn) tea.

Emitan

Final Fantasy VIII

I'm at the part where you need to get into position to snipe the Sorceress. What do I do? I can run around the city but i cant get to where I need to go.

EDIT: Oh. Finally figured out where Caraway went.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Gravijah said:
you guys just cant understand my love

plus it sounds even better through emulation.
oh god. I've never played this version before. It isn't as offensive as FFVI's soundtrack, but how can you argue that this is inferior?

We gotta take this to PMs soon, lol.

Professor Beef said:
I traveled through a forest (read: grinded in the forest for 20 or so minutes) and found a ninja! Naturally she was no match for us, so we invited her to join our party. Turns out her name is Kagari, and she likes to laugh like "nyuk nyuk nyuk." We're attributing that to some kind of sickness.
KuGsj.gif

Once we wiped out the thing that was causing all the trouble, I was forced to administer CPR despite only learning it 10 seconds prior.
Party Member: "BEEF! You've gotta do CPR!"

Beef: "Mouth to Mouth?!"

Damn right.

gXiiH.png

Hey man, at least I'm not part of the Asshole Brigade yet. My favourite part of the game first and foremost has gotta be the Midgar section, btw. I thought it was well-knit together.

But this begs the question: Would a Final Fantasy VII HD remake, the one that everyone is clamouring for, be completely identical to Final Fantasy VII on PSX/PC? (I don't think so.) I think that, if they ever remake this game, it won't have the same things FFVII did. Some things would be removed for better narrative flow (I guess), and some things would be added to relate better to the other compilation games.

Final Fantasy VII, to me, was a game that wasn't afraid at poking fun at itself and including silly stuff, with the dialogue (I only played this in English, so I'm not sure about what the Japanese script is like), the cross-dressing minigame, the CPR bit, some of the Gold Saucer games, throwing materia at people to prevent them from chasing you, guys in black capes, a love hotel where Cloud is either given CPR(?) by a guy or bathes with a bunch of other guys, a pimp in a mansion, hanging out in Costa del Sol telling Barret he looks like a bear wearing a marshmallow, Hojo hanging out in Costa del Sol surrounded by women wearing bikinis, etc.

Would people want this? Would people find these "poking fun at itself" qualities superfluous in this day and age and won't miss them? Would people miss those portions? Would people want a Final Fantasy VII that's straight-to-the-point and no-nonsense with a serious storyline, or would people want a FFVII that's identical to its older counterpart but in a newer coat of paint?

kunonabi

Got my copy of FFXII. I've decided to give it a fair shot. I hated the demo but for 10 bucks it's essentially a rental. Can you see everything of the license board or do they show up as youupgrade? I'd like to be able to map characters' development early on instead of doing it on the fly.

Emitan

TheSeks is Carbuncle!

kunonabi said:
Got my copy of FFXII. I've decided to give it a fair shot. I hated the demo but for 10 bucks it's essentially a rental. Can you see everything of the license board or do they show up as youupgrade? I'd like to be able to map characters' development early on instead of doing it on the fly.
You'll have to find a picture online. You only reveal adjacent licenses.

Dark Schala said:
Hey man, at least I'm not part of the Asshole Brigade yet. My favourite part of the game first and foremost has gotta be the Midgar section, btw. I thought it was well-knit together.

But this begs the question: Would a Final Fantasy VII HD remake, the one that everyone is clamouring for, be completely identical to Final Fantasy VII on PSX/PC? (I don't think so.) I think that, if they ever remake this game, it won't have the same things FFVII did. Some things would be removed for better narrative flow (I guess), and some things would be added to relate better to the other compilation games.

Final Fantasy VII, to me, was a game that wasn't afraid at poking fun at itself and including silly stuff, with the dialogue (I only played this in English, so I'm not sure about what the Japanese script is like), the cross-dressing minigame, the CPR bit, some of the Gold Saucer games, throwing materia at people to prevent them from chasing you, guys in black capes, a love hotel where Cloud is either given CPR(?) by a guy or bathes with a bunch of other guys, a pimp in a mansion, hanging out in Costa del Sol telling Barret he looks like a bear wearing a marshmallow, Hojo hanging out in Costa del Sol surrounded by women wearing bikinis, etc.

Would people want this? Would people find these "poking fun at itself" qualities superfluous in this day and age and won't miss them? Would people miss those portions? Would people want a Final Fantasy VII that's straight-to-the-point and no-nonsense with a serious storyline, or would people want a FFVII that's identical to its older counterpart but in a newer coat of paint?
After playing so far, the only thing I would want from an HD remake would be the following:

1) Keep Cloud's personality the same as the PS1 version. SE has admitted to turning his moodiness to 11 when it came to Advent Children because they claimed it would make him "more relatable," but it ended up changing him for the worst.
1.5) Teach Cloud's current voice actor some emotion. He sounds like a god damn robot.

2) Leave Genesis and Angeal out of the game completely unless you can fight them via some sidequest that has nothing to do with the story. I loved Crisis Core, but Genesis was dumber than a kick to the cock.

3) Keep the battle system as it is. Turn-based is fine, materia system is fine, and there's no reason to change them.

4) Screw Flanders.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Were you able to find ULTROS's pantsu and bang her piano during the backstory, Beef?

kunonabi

I hated FFVII but it really could have been a decent game

-up the difficulty
enemies should not run of magic and just sit there doing nothing while you kill them. Story fights should have resembled the fights with the weapons only not quite as extreme. Xenogears style boss fights would work for me.

-nerf limit breaks
I beat the entire game doing the exact same thing: build up Limits for the entire party, walk into boss fight, unload, most bosses would be dead or require minimal clean-up

-Make the game longer
I beat the game in like 18 hours which is just too short. Have the game continue past the fight with Sephiroth. Reconstruction could make for an interesting set of storylines. Just don't it into a dull setup for a return fight between Cloud and Sephiroth and nothing else like the god awful advent children.

-Flesh out the supporting the cast or write them better
I hated the entire cast aside from Red XIII, Tifa, and Vincent. Really the only reason I played as much of the game as I did was because I wanted Cloud to wake up get together with Tifa. I think I maybe the only person who was glad when Aeris got murdered.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Professor Beef said:
Yup. Don't forget to draw from the upcoming boss battles.

Rule of thumb for FF8 is to draw from EVERYTHING at least once so anything ??? is at least identified next time. And the ??? sometimes are
boss GF
's anyway.

TheSeks is Carbuncle!

I couldn't be Doomtrain? CHUGGA CHUGGA FUCK YOU!

Oh well. Protect/Shell and Reflect is fine, I guess.

kunonabi said:
I'd like to be able to map characters' development early on instead of doing it on the fly.

You don't need it. Eventually you'll have everyone on all the license boards done with.

I honestly suggest getting International: Zodiac Job System and playing that. Because if you're wanting "non-clones" doing the job system there is better but you have to worry about quickening and summon slots still so you don't screw one character over near an island of job skills for them.

Gravijah

kunonabi said:
-Make the game longer
I beat the game in like 18 hours which is just too short. Have the game continue past the fight with Sephiroth. Reconstruction could make for an interesting set of storylines. Just don't it into a dull setup for a return fight between Cloud and Sephiroth and nothing else like the god awful advent children.

what the heck 18 hours did you even touch a sidequest?

Billychu said:
What does that do?
It's a command like Mug. Brings a character back to full health. Also does 9999 damage to undead monsters. Siren has a similar one with Treatment (which isn't as useful, but it does cure everything but Death), and Alexander has Revive.

Good news: We just met Gravijah the fortune teller, and he couldn't tell our fortune!

...Wait, that's not all that good. Although in comparison to getting blamed for someone shooting up Battle Square, I guess it is. duckroll has a lot of explaining to do once we find him in this desert prison.

Just ordered FF III DS from Amazon, for kicks.

Can't wait to get my ass kicked by Garuda again!

LIGHTNING! LIGHTNING! Game over. *Requiem plays*

Emitan

Electivirus said:
Just ordered FF III DS from Amazon, for kicks.

Can't wait to get my ass kicked by Garuda again!

LIGHTNING! LIGHTNING! Game over. *Requiem plays*
Thinking about buying it for iOS because I might be getting the iPhone 4S for Christmas.

xxczx

I bought a PS2 again after mine broke ages ago, I've kinda forgot what happens in FFX and FFXII so I had to buy them. I'm not playing FFXII yet until I get some component cables since it looks really awful on my TV.

FFX

Ten hours in and it's still feeling like a tutorial, though it doesn't seem as bad after completing FFXIII I guess.
Really annoys me with the subtitles in the middle of the screen during battles and dem borders. I heard there is a 60hz code for Action Replay though I don't have one :(

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Got to play FFXIII-2 at Comic Con, after waiting on line for an hour... met a girl on the line to play though so it's all good! Game seems to be quite a bit better than the original, even if the graphics look like they took a bit of a hit. There are actually environments, with dead ends, and townspeople! I have some hope for this game at least... plus it had a really cool D&B boss theme. First time hearing D&B in an RPG... Anybody else play yet?

xxczx

djtiesto said:
plus it had a really cool D&B boss theme. First time hearing D&B in an RPG...
Square needs to do more sequels, it's probably the only time they go a bit adventurous with music.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Professor Beef said:
1) Keep Cloud's personality the same as the PS1 version. SE has admitted to turning his moodiness to 11 when it came to Advent Children because they claimed it would make him "more relatable," but it ended up changing him for the worst.
1.5) Teach Cloud's current voice actor some emotion. He sounds like a god damn robot.
I like FFVII Cloud a lot better too. I really dislike his ACC/KH persona. His CC persona was alright because it explained a lot.

Also, Cloud's voice actor is this dude from General Hospital. (My mom and aunts watched (and still watch) a lot of soap operas, so lots of exposure.) Generally soap opera acting makes me chuckle, so I wouldn't be surprised if it's because of the guy doing flat readings. Unless it's the Square-Enix voice direction once again.

But if Square-Enix has decided to employ soap opera actors and primetime drama actors as voice actors for their games, someone needs to get this dude to voice a character in FF. It'll be fun, I guess.

4) Screw Flanders.
Well, obviously! :p

Genesis needs to get the call from his home planet declaring that they need him.

djtiesto said:
I have some hope for this game at least... plus it had a really cool D&B boss theme. First time hearing D&B in an RPG... Anybody else play yet?
Wait, elaborate. Is it better than what we've heard in previous footage? Because that would be so cool.

FF needs Yuzo Koshiro spinning some tunes for it.

Dunan

Great to see people taking on FFVIII again!

On my insanely long flight (13 hours!) from Tokyo to the US, my PSP action included two Valkyria Chronicles 3 battles (postgame; one with some incompetent-indeed ordinary Gallian soldiers that took far too long) and one from VC2 (a long slog in the Doerfein Mines; Brixham is going to demote me after this), and then FF8.

My file -- a souped-up one with 100 of all important magic and a complete set of cards -- is in Deling City at the end of Disc 1, but I wanted to soak up some atmosphere, so first I wanted to just wander around. Loaded up some older saves and explored the Garden, Balamb, and Dollet before moving to the main file. Not until my third circuit through the sewers did I remember what I was supposed to do to actually get through them -- I kept thinking that, having returned to the starting point, I had missed something. No, I just had to
open a gate on the right, opposite the starting point

Finished the events of the Edea assassination attempt, and Laguna took the stage again. Love the guy. Talking with Ellone and wandering around Winhill now.

Sorry, haters; I love FF8. It's not perfect, but it's such fun to play and the world is such a great place to explore. I'm on a vacation-slash-family-reunion in North Carolina and might not even play again until my return flight, but then again I might just make time for it. So relaxing and nostalgic.

Top Bottom