• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skyward Sword NA Commercial or; NoA's Awful Marketing Strikes Back.

I like to game with my feet up, makes it really hard to sit 'properly' like that to swing shit.

I hope I can still veg back on my comfy couch chair and play. I don't remember having a problem with Twilight Princess, but that was just swing anywhere you want and win..... new one requires more effort I think.

snesfreak

Banned
Retro said:
Jenny Lewis as the hot red-headed neighbor or no dice.

Mmm.... Jenny Lewis...
I like the way you think.
The Antitype said:
This. Looks irritating, not fun.

I'll just replay Twilight Zelda next time I need a Zelda fix.
Wouldn't be GAF without ridiculous hyperbolic nonsense.

Vamphuntr

While the commercial sucks, the props they have to hype the game in store are pretty cool. This is the Skyward Sword Ad with Master Sword prop I saw today at a theater.

Crappy cellphone pics and probably old but I think it's pretty great marketing. Much better than that crappy commercial.

20637af1-683c-4e6a-9a19-4bf0ff77998a.jpg

f2f933b2-f175-413e-9eb7-fb18a553391b.jpg

Vamphuntr said:
While the commercial sucks, the props they have to hype the game in store are pretty cool. This is the Skyward Sword Ad with Master Sword prop I saw today at a theater.

Crappy cellphone pics and probably old but I think it's pretty great marketing. Much better than that crappy commercial.

20637af1-683c-4e6a-9a19-4bf0ff77998a.jpg

f2f933b2-f175-413e-9eb7-fb18a553391b.jpg

i want that sword....

Conrad Link said:
I like to game with my feet up, makes it really hard to sit 'properly' like that to swing shit.

I hope I can still veg back on my comfy couch chair and play. I don't remember having a problem with Twilight Princess, but that was just swing anywhere you want and win..... new one requires more effort I think.
Some IGN guy tweeting that he was playing the game while lying on his stomach

LOCK

Its not the 30 sec commercials (which hopefully is all gameplay), but man this felt so cheesy.

Still buying like 5 copies though.

He's how I would redo that commercial:

Shorten each "era" considerably, adding in LttP and Wind Waker as well. As the kid grows up, make a point to show him swinging the controller around as he attacks (as we all did as kids during intense games!)

When we reach SS, have the kid-turned-father (with a much better haircut) walk in on his own son playing the game just like he did as a kid. Only now swinging the controller around actually has a real effect. The dad's face lights up, cut to actual footage of the game, and end with the dad playing the game while his son watches

That way you still have that weird heartwarming feeling they're trying to get across, only now it's actually nostalgic and doesn't make the game look all weird.

Jesus Christ you people whine way too fucking much. It wasn't THAT bad at all. The narrator was a little cheesy, but the message was very cool. I think some of you need a few shots of valium ASAP.

snesfreak

Banned
Sempuukyaku said:
Jesus Christ you people whine way too fucking much. It wasn't THAT bad at all. The narrator was a little cheesy, but the message was very cool. I think some of you need a few shots of valium ASAP.
thisisneogafdude.gif

It wasn't all that good, but I've heard worse commercials for products/services that make far more. Seemed a little long so I don't think it will be on TV. Also thought it was nice that they gave sort of a vague explanation of the control method.

Shit. Does nothing to sell the game. Just relies on people buying it because it's Zelda. By that logic, just put "it's Zelda!" on screen for 30 seconds.

butter_stick said:
Shit. Does nothing to sell the game. Just relies on people buying it because it's Zelda. By that logic, just put "it's Zelda!" on screen for 30 seconds.

They've already been doing that (sort of) for mario. I keep hearing "It's Mario. It's in 3d. Nuff said."

PigSpeakers said:
They've already been doing that (sort of) for mario. I keep hearing "It's Mario. It's in 3d. Nuff said."

That's pretty much the thought process going in to my purchase, so maybe they have a vision.

Retro

The problem here is that most of the people who get Nostalgic for Zelda are already planning to buy it. So who is this 'commercial' aimed at? Ex-gamers? Seems kind of fringe. If it's merely an online-only celebration of 25 years, then it even does that rather poorly.

Dunno. Just a strange ass thing I never ever want to see again.

Dead Man

Sempuukyaku said:
Nah, it was pretty bad. The only people that ad will reach that weren't already buying it are... who?

Yuripaw

Banned
I really don't know why they don't use Robin/Zelda Williams commercials here in the US. Zelda is pretty, and Robin is a awesome actor/comedian. If I didn't know what the Legend of Zelda was, they would sell me on it much more than this lame commercial. The commercials they were in were much more charming.

Yuripaw said:
I really don't know why they don't use Robin/Zelda Williams commercials here in the US. Zelda is pretty, and Robin is a awesome actor/comedian. If I didn't know what the Legend of Zelda was, they would sell me on it much more than this lame commercial. The commercials they were in were much more charming.
tumblr_lt11tjUriU1qa2tpwo1_400.gif

reektann

According to this advert, if you have a kid, you have to dress like a prick and make faces like you're absolutely bewildered by the insane Wii visuals!! .. ugh.

nickcv

from the youtube video comments:

youtube said:
Dad: "Son, this wonderful orange couch chair has been in the family for over 25 years... why, I was sitting on this couch when I first beat the original Zelda when I was your age... I took it with me when I moved out for college and after I married your mother I had to force I MEAN convince her to let it take center stage in the living room. I've surely grown fond of this couch *sniffle*...Son, it's yours.. I know it smells weird, but I want you to have it... The Couch!"

Son:"Da na na NAA!"

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Corny but not bad. People will complain about anything I guess.

My only complaint is they're basically saying Zelda 1, OoT, and SS are the only games in the franchise. :p

spekkeh

Banned
I'm okay with this. I thought 'battling with facial hair' was actually kind of witty. I reckon most of you are too young. If you were eight when the original Zelda came out, you're 33 now and chances are pretty big you're going to have a kid and are still playing games. I'm a bit younger (I guess I was six, and played it one or two years after it got released in Japan, because back then as a European you got screwed with that kind of stuff), but I can totally see myself gaming with a kid in four years time. Would have been better if that last bit wasn't so cheesy though.

Bluth54

Andrex said:
My only complaint is they're basically saying Zelda 1, OoT, and SS are the only games in the franchise. :p

It is only 1 minute long. They can't put every Zelda game in there.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Bluth54 said:
It is only 1 minute long. They can't put every Zelda game in there.

Then they should have replaced Zelda 1 with LttP to make it true for me. :p

Top Bottom