• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skyward Sword review thread [Newest Reviews - Cubed3 10/10, GC: A, AusGamers: 7/10]

TheGreatMightyPoo said:
How do you know it's biased???

Are the slew of other 10s biased too because they gave it the top score it could get???

It is not a 10/10 game. It could have been Wind Waker in the clouds and much more under it. But it is not. Dungeons are great, Overworld is not.

TheGreatMightyPoo said:
How do you know it's biased???

Are the slew of other 10s biased too because they gave it the top score it could get???

He mentioned Famitsu as the most relevant reviewer...

Their whole Metal Solid Peace Walker advertisement debacle should be enough. When the hell did I mention other reviewer scores? What a day it is for Zelda-gaf and blind fanboyism. I haven't played the game, but I know how that publication works by now.

Damon Bennet said:
It is not a 10/10 game. It could have been Wind Waker in the clouds and much more under it. But it is not. Dungeons are great, Overworld is not.

Some people have different priorities when it comes to Zelda and with the dungeons as great as they are, that could be enough to be a 10, especially when they enjoy the other parts of the world more than you and many others that don't care for it.

I personally don't need a mindblowing overworld.

They could have made one but that doesn't seem to be the devlopers' priority.

Raitosaito said:
He mentioned Famitsu as the most relevant reviewer...

Their whole Metal Solid Peace Walker advertisement debacle should be enough. When the hell did I mention other reviewer scores? What a day it is for Zelda-gaf and blind fanboyism. I haven't played the game, but I know how that publication works by now.

You could point out "debacles" or suspect reviews in many a source.

Famitsu aside, it's very easy to dismiss some reviews but when many others correspond with them, not so much.

People here jumped the gun with Nintendo Power thinking THEY are completey biased, obviously never having read the magazine.

I'm not really defending Famitsu but they aren't banned here so they are obviously considered relevant no matter how small a sense of the word.

TheGreatMightyPoo said:
You could point out "debacles" or suspect reviews in many a source.

Famitsu aside, it's very easy to dismiss some reviews but when many others correspond with them, not so much.

People here jumped the gun with Nintendo Power thinking THEY are completey biased, obviously never having read the magazine.

I'm not really defending Famitsu but they aren't banned here so they are obviously considered relevant no matter how small a sense of the word.

The editor in chief Famitsu was in an 2 full page ad on Peace Walker in his own magazine while giving it a perfect score.

That's top level corruption right there, so I don't see what your argument is. After something like that a publication should not be trusted period. And just because a review reflect another reviewer score, this isn't some hive mind where that totally validates the review...

What the hell happened to opinions. We're getting close to UC3 level of devotion in these threads concerning scores.

Raitosaito said:
The editor in chief Famitsu was in an 2 full page ad on Peace Walker in his own magazine while giving it a perfect score.

That's top level corruption right there, so I don't see what your argument is. After something like that a publication should not be trusted period. And just because a review reflect another reviewer score, this isn't some hive mind where that totally validates the review...

What the hell happened to opinions.

Top level corruption????

Don't know about that(unless there's more to this story).

Tacky???

Sure.

I don't see this as being any worse than Game Informer giving a game a score, not based on what they thought of the game but rather what they thought OTHERS would think of the game.

You didn't mention them but if you really overanalyzed or analyzed any site or source that scores games, there'd be hardly any to trust.

Riposte said:
I wouldn't say so. There are better and worse reviewers, but publications are always a mixed bag. Edge owes more of its reputation to its flashy and professional style.
It's still the best we've got. I'm not fond of the anonymous writer policy (which lends an undeserved patina of authority, à la The Economist), but Edge has maintained a level of writing competency that has remained unanswered by other gaming enthusiast publications and websites. Regardless of a given review's final verdict, I can still glean useful information that isn't sheathed in the wretched prose of pitiable writers from Gamespot, IGN, Game Informer, EGM, Giant Bomb, etc.

Damon Bennet said:

It depends entirely on what you consider the overworld. The Sky is sparse until you start hitting up Godess Cubes, its relatively uninteresting until you get inside the Thunderhead or you start doing the sidequests that take you to the pumpkin island and the fun island place.

Ultimately though, seeing as you're being critical of the overworld -- which 3D Zelda has a bigger, better overworld?

Ocarina doesn't have a bigger one. Majora doesn't. Wind Waker doesn't. Twilight Princess' is possibly bigger, but actually I kind of doubt it -- each province is just more directly joined up. Its a subjective matter of opinion as to which overworld setup you've enjoyed the most, but for me - in terms of the 3D games - this is easily their best attempt.

The best thing about the overworld for me is that the questing, searching, puzzling and gameplay has extended out from the dungeons and towns and into the rest of the main overworld for the first time since A Link to the Past. Locations evolve as the game goes on too -- it always stood out to me how Ganon ruling the future in Ocarina of Time was meant to be this terrible thing, but to gallop around Hyrule Field you'd barely know it.

Storywise, its the best Zelda game for memorable villains since Wind Waker, and as good generally as its been since Majora's Mask. Groose and Ghirahim are brilliant. The bosses and in particular - the final confrontations - are excellent. I didn't think we could have final battles as epic and as memorable as Ganondorf amidst the falling water in Wind Waker, or the sinister sword clashes in Twilight Princess -- but they upped the ante substantially. I felt palpable relief when I defeated quite a few of the bosses in the game. The dungeons are brilliant -- two of them in particular stood out to me as insanely creative, and the final dungeon was a unique and clever idea too.

The only thing I would consider deducting points for are the fetch quests / padding -- but all are brief, and one or two actually require some strategy and are quite fun. There is a sense of achievement in doing most of them that wasn't there for the tears of light in Twilight Princess or the silly Triforce map stuff in Wind Waker. That said, I probably would have preferred them to not be there and make the adventure shorter and more concise, or maybe substitute them for other content. Its not a perfect game, but then neither was Mario Galaxy. In terms of what it changes for the better, its easily as important as Mario Galaxy for me - and therefore I can see the 10/10s as perfectly justified. Any gamer, any Zelda fan worth their salt, owes it to themselves to play through this and enjoy it as the hours effortlessly disappear.

TheGreatMightyPoo said:
Some people have different priorities when it comes to Zelda and with the dungeons as great as they are, that could be enough to be a 10, especially when they enjoy the other parts of the world more than you and many others that don't care for it.

I personally don't need a mindblowing overworld.

They could have made one but that doesn't seem to be the devlopers' priority.

The overworld is the worst of all 3d Zeldas with the potential to be the best. This is what hurts so much and such a big flaw is enough to not warrant a ten.

Another flaw is that the pre-dungeon areas feel stretched with the "aura" search. The game does have flaws. Skyloft is not charming enough to carry the world above the sky alone.

TheGreatMightyPoo said:
Top level corruption????

Don't know about that(unless there's more to this story).

Tacky???

Sure.

I don't see this as being any worse than Game Informer giving a game a score, not based on what they thought of the game but rather what they thought OTHERS would think of the game.

You didn't mention them but if you really overanalyzed or analyzed any site or source that scores games, there'd be hardly any to trust.

Pretty sure putting a picture of yourself in a 2 page ad=I want the publisher's ad money. Assuming that is a not so flattering action to your readers and integrity of the publication isn't hard.

Damon Bennet said:
The overworld is the worst of all 3d Zeldas with the potential to be the best. This is what hurts so much and such a big flaw is enough to not warrant a ten.

Disagree. Passionately. It's the best. There is nothing particularly good about the overworlds in the other 3D Zeldas. The provinces in this game are actually unique and interesting levels in and of themselves.

Damon Bennet said:

Obviously a design decision but for you, I could see how it would be enough to make it less than a silly number as obviously you see the possibilities they could have turned that part of the game into and you value that aspect of the series.

Sometimes I wonder if Mario Galaxy and its freshness and success led to making this series more to-the-point and less vast.

radioheadrule83 said:
Disagree. Passionately. It's the best. The provinces in this game are actually unique and interesting levels in and of themselves.

This is what's great about this game, the varying opinions.

I know all games have that but not sure if they usually are as polarizing as this one seems to be.

Effect

Doesn't the game (in this case review copies) have an instruction manual and doesn't the game have in-game tutorials? Did the reviewer at GameSpot read them before playing the game and when they showed up in the game? I assume they would have spelled out how the controls were suppose to work and how the game is suppose to be played. Especially so a person isn't trying to force the game to play a way they want and in a manner the game isn't setup for. It's why tutorials exist after all. Unless he didn't and rushed through the game (including any and all tutorials) as well. I can't understand his complaints regarding the controls any other way when others don't seem (from the many reviews I've read) to have an issue.

Thoraxes

Effect said:
Doesn't the game (in this case review copies) have an instruction manual and doesn't the game have in-game tutorials? Did the reviewer at GameSpot even bother to read them before playing the game and when they showed up in the game? I assume that would have spelled out how the controls were suppose to work (not person trying to force the game to play a way they want). Unless he didn't and rushed through the game (including any and all tutorials) as well. I can't understand his complaints regarding the controls any other way when others don't seem (from the many reviews I've read) to have an issue.
Since they went back and edited that part of the review, the only thing I keep thinking to myself is that he must've honestly thought that they were pointer controls the entire time he played.

The fact he was using the d-pad to recenter is proof he wasn't just relying on the unused sensor bar.

The controls can be a drag even when you know the IR isn't used.

alcabcucu

butter_stick said:
The fact he was using the d-pad to recenter is proof he wasn't just relying on the unused sensor bar.

The controls can be a drag even when you know the IR isn't used.

The fact he was using the d-pad continuosly just proves he didn't get how the aiming function works in this game. Wii users have been using the sensor bar and the wiimote for five years, and this game changes it all. It's difficult to realize and adapt to that and the game doesn't explain this properly.

Please refer to my explanation on how the gyroscopes work in this game, it's in the previous page of the thread. Once you get it it's very easy to understand the analist issues with Skyward Sword control. Other gamers will have the same issues if they keep trying to use the wiimote as usual, and aren't properly advised. Just follow my instructions and please tell me if the controls keep feeling faulty. I can guarantee you they won't.

Please read carefuly my explanations. I'll be happy to answer any question you may have.

alcabcucu said:
Someone should explain Tom that Skyward Sword doesn't use the sensor bar to calibrate the wiimote. I think all his problems with the control are because of this.

Now, when you press the button to access the aiming function (entering in first person view or when using certain items) the game will consider you're pointing at the center of the screen, taking as reference the position of the wiimote when you pressed the button. So, if you press the button when your wiimote is pointing to the floor, the game will "think" the floor is the center of the screen.

Pressing the down arrow button will reset the central position, taking the position of the wiimote in that particular moment as reference, and giving the false impression that you need to recalibrate the wiimote all the time.

This is easily solved by pressing the "aiming" button (c or B -only with certain items-) RIGHT AFTER you aim at the center of the screen with your wiimote.

Why did Nintendo take this approach? Probably to give fast access to menus. Now you don't need to aim at the screen to move the cursor. With a simple and fast gesture you can choose the item you need in that particular moment. This allows to use the bow or the slingshot with the wiimote in vertical position, too (as in Wii Sports Resort).

So this is, in my opinion, the reason why Tom thought that the wiimote didn't work properly, as he even says that the infrared sensors are faulty. And they are not faulty, they simply aren't used.

As I said, someone should explain this to him. Maybe this is the reason he had issues with the wiimote, and could change his opinion about its controls.

I wrote this in another forum, just before the editor's correction was added to the analisys. Once I noticed the correction, I just confirmed my suspicions. Latest statement of the analist just confirms, once again, what I thought in the first place.

BR

Nex Superne said:
It's still the best we've got. I'm not fond of the anonymous writer policy (which lends an undeserved patina of authority, à la The Economist), but Edge has maintained a level of writing competency that has remained unanswered by other gaming enthusiast publications and websites. Regardless of a given review's final verdict, I can still glean useful information that isn't sheathed in the wretched prose of pitiable writers from Gamespot, IGN, Game Informer, EGM, Giant Bomb, etc.

music and video game journalism: two of the fields in which britain soundly defeats america. edge and eurogamer writes about what the whole experience means and how it feels altogether; american publications judge games by their parts. it's like a movie review with sections about the acting, direction, story, cinematography and so on, a score slapped on at the end, all with no insight on how these disparate parts come together.

"new games journalism" tries, but it fails because it's more about random crap than the game itself.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
SYNTAX182 said:
Gamespot review error confession. Ha ha ha. Embarrassing.

They don't deserve to be in the thread title.
What're you a 4 year old? It's better that he admit a mistake than persisting that he didn't.

Smellycat

Do you guys think that Gamespot actually waited until most publications released their review scores to see how low the scores would go? And once they saw that the lowest score was basically an 8, they decided to go lower to stand out?

Imagine if that actually happened, haha

I would have been perfectly fine with the review if Gamespot released it on the 11th, at the same time as the other publications. But delaying the review by 3 or 4 days doesn't really help them.

Massa

Smellycat said:
Do you guys think that Gamespot actually waited until most publications released their review scores to see how low the scores would go? And once they saw that the lowest score was basically an 8, they decided to go lower to stand out?

I would have been perfectly fine with the review if Gamespot released it on the 11th, at the same time as the other publications. But delaying the review by 3 or 4 days doesn't really help them.

Gamespot is never in a rush to release their reviews and people always come up with conspiracies to explain it. It never ceases to amaze me.

--

SYNTAX182 said:
Yeah, how'd you know

Yo mama said so.

Smellycat said:

considering that the content of the review is more negative than a 7.5 would imply, i doubt it. there's nothing wrong with the review outside of the normal games journalism issues.

on the flip side, those acting like this review is the only one that doesn't bend to any publisher intimidation is just as agenda-driven as those angry about the score.

SYNTAX182

The Mana Legend said:
So is anyone's Gamestop having a midnight release for this?

Yeah, I pre-ordered the bundle through Amazon, but thinking of picking it up early and just returning the sealed copy from Amazon once it arrives. =)

GLopez12

Neo Member
Mistle said:
That Telegraph review was very well written. Scores/opinions aside, it makes the quality of giantbomb/gamespot almost seem like a joke.

But yes, thankfully the gaming world has places like Edge, or even Eurogamer (which has impressed me a few times recently) to give some credibility to videogame journalism.
No kidding. It's amazing how much better that Telegraph review is than everything else I've read.

alcabcucu

Taking advantage of all the fuss their analysis has created, I see.
That podcast will probably be the most downloaded one of the year!! X-D

BR!

guek

Banned
AzaK said:
I think I heard that Gamespot are doing a Zelda only podcast next week if people are interested.

Why, so I can listen to a bunch of dudes talk about how GAF overreacts to everything and how despite SS being good here, here, and here, it's bad there, there, and there and thus overrated everywhere else but gamespot?

Thoraxes

guek said:
Why, so I can listen to a bunch of dudes talk about how GAF overreacts to everything and how despite SS being good here, here, and here, it's bad there, there, and there and thus overrated everywhere else but gamespot?
I'm just waiting for him to talk about how the pointer controls that don't exist in the game don't work because it's all with the motion+.

Massa

alcabcucu said:

BR!

So reviewers should conform to the norm and write the same review as everyone else, or else they're just creating controversy for hits?

Please stop this. It's embarrassing.

Vice

alcabcucu said:

BR!

It may be because Zelda is a giant franchise that matters to nearly anyone who cares about gaming.

Ganondorfo

Remember when the 8.6 from gerstmann was considered a disgrace. I'll wonder how he would rate skyward sword, but we will never know that.

Ganondorfo said:
Remember when the 8.6 from gerstmann was considered a disgrace. I'll wonder how he would rate skyward sword, but we will never know that.
Yeah, I remember that 8.4 review. or was it 8.2? The point is, I can't believe Gerstmann gave that game an 8.0.

demolitio

The GS podcast should be interesting. I never trust reviews for that exact reason. Reviews are very subjective and some people just don't get what the game is going for. I just wish the two extremes of gaming journalism would calm down and move back towards the center.

Nicktendo86

Right, having played the game for three hours last night I can confidently say the gamespot review was just wrong. The controls are definitely not broken. They do take a bit of getting used to but not once did the sword not react as it was supposed to and I could take on a group of enemies with ease. The tutorial/opening is a bit long but not THAT bad and I have not smiled more at the first three hours of a Zelda game so much in years. So far, so good.

Rehynn

4 hours in. Controls take some getting used to, as you have to forget about the physical center of the TV (via the Sensor Bar) determining the centered position of the Wiimote. Once you get used to it, though, the game becomes more comfortable to play. You can rest your hand by your side and navigate all menus and look around in first-person without lifting your hand.

I experienced some minor decalibration with the sword initially, but have had no problems after getting a feel for the implied weight of the sword. The Sensor Bar does a great job of re-aligning M+, fighting feels responsive, fluid and fun, and the shield is better than I expected.

And holy crap, does this game start slowly.... I like that in Zelda, but I can see how many people will cry TP.

Bangs Zelda really is best Zelda.

I enjoy flying quite a bit. The controls do have a unique feel to them, but waggle-flapping is not really a big issue.

AniHawk

ViewtifulJC said:
WW is a fucking 4/10 game, on the Anihawk scale. Boring ass exploration, mostly terrible dungeons, one of the worst end-game fetch quests in video game history, you have to go out of your way for you to be challenged by it making all the combat boring and superfluous, and ugly art design with flat textures and little depth or contrast to the world. I'm giving it points for a cool soundtrack, a couple decent dungeons here and there, and the final boss encounter.

i did rate the zelda games on the anihawk scale. people thought i was kidding.

Legend of Zelda - 6
Adventure of Link - 4
A Link to the Past - 6
Link's Awakening - 8
Ocarina of Time - 6
Majora's Mask - 7
oracle of ages - 7
oracle of seasons - 3
Four Swords - 7
The Wind Waker - 6
The Minish Cap - 8
Twilight Princess - 9
Phantom Hourglass - 2
Spirit Tracks - 7

i was a kid/teenager when i last played the oracle games, loz, and alttp though.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Right, having played the game for three hours last night I can confidently say the gamespot review was just wrong. The controls are definitely not broken. They do take a bit of getting used to but not once did the sword not react as it was supposed to and I could take on a group of enemies with ease. The tutorial/opening is a bit long but not THAT bad and I have not smiled more at the first three hours of a Zelda game so much in years. So far, so good.

Top Bottom