• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Los Angeles |OT| GAF's Guide to the Greatest City in the Universe

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
Since I consider myself a ramen aficionado here is my top 5:

1. Tsujita LA - best ramen, best tsukemen, best everything trust me.
2. Ramen Yamadaya - I've only tried the Costa Mesa location but it's bomb and the original Torrance one should be too.
3. Ramen Jinya - locations in Studio City and soon in West LA on Sawtelle by the 405. (chicken ramen is amazing but they got fatty rich pork tonkotsu style too)
4. Fujin Ramen - best option in the San Gabriel Valley, made by a master chef
5. Asa Ramen - in Torrance, amazing roasted pork bone flavor but only open at night so that sucks

Honorable mention: Foo Foo Tei, amazing variety and they do it all an do it great but they lack focus on one ramen to make it spectacular.

Now its time for Hater-ade: Daikokuya is pretty shitty nowadays so just avoid please, not worth the wait at the Little Tokyo location it's all hype. Trust me.

Tsujita LA - This is all you need. Tsukemen is amazing if you haven't had it. The owner of this place won the best ramen contest in Japan a few years ago. This place is world-class. Why go anywhere else? (unless you don't have time to wait in the line)

Argyle

2. Ramen Yamadaya - I've only tried the Costa Mesa location but it's bomb and the original Torrance one should be too.
3. Ramen Jinya - locations in Studio City and soon in West LA on Sawtelle by the 405. (chicken ramen is amazing but they got fatty rich pork tonkotsu style too)
5. Asa Ramen - in Torrance, amazing roasted pork bone flavor but only open at night so that sucks

Honorable mention: Foo Foo Tei, amazing variety and they do it all an do it great but they lack focus on one ramen to make it spectacular.

Now its time for Hater-ade: Daikokuya is pretty shitty nowadays so just avoid please, not worth the wait at the Little Tokyo location it's all hype. Trust me.
I generally agree with this list. I really wanted to like Fujin but it just hasn't clicked for me and I would probably put Santouka or even Daikokuya or Shinsengumi over it (Fujin does have some of the best chashu I've had at a place in Los Angeles, though.)

Maybe I am ordering the wrong thing though, I have been there three times and have had the tonkotsu, the green curry, and the Chinese style beef noodle soup ramen...I hope he succeeds so I am willing to give him another chance :)

Also for anyone going to Tsujita, note that you can only get ramen there for lunch and it is cash only. That right there might be enough reason for you to go somewhere else...

JEKKI

what about Santouka?!?!?! it's the best!!

Daikokuya is good, but not great lol. I like it, but not enough to put it on a list lol.

have u tried Ikemen?!?! if not u really need to go:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/ikemen-los-angeles

and did u try Ramen Bull when it was around?!?! they reopened it in SF, I will go all the way there just to eat it again lol

JLG-

MPEVITE.jpg

Anyone else going?

Zyzyxxz

what about Santouka?!?!?! it's the best!!

Daikokuya is good, but not great lol. I like it, but not enough to put it on a list lol.

have u tried Ikemen?!?! if not u really need to go:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/ikemen-los-angeles

and did u try Ramen Bull when it was around?!?! they reopened it in SF, I will go all the way there just to eat it again lol

Santouka is definitely a good option if its close by to you but I hate having to try and score a table when it gets busy and parking in the Mitsuwa lots is already a pain.

Ikemen is on my list but I hate that area of LA and tend to avoid it for obvious parking/driving reasons.

Ramen Bull I missed and was sad about it. Wish it would come back.

I WORK THERE! STOP BY ON WEEKENDS.

I'm new to LA (6 months in). Are there any arcades out here? I looked at Blipsy Barcade, but it's definitely a bar more so than about the games.

Are you a waiter or cook? Really want to try it.

FStop7

Banned
Angelino-GAF I am pissed off and sick and I need to vent. I stopped by El Pollo Loco last night and got a couple of pieces of chicken for dinner. Fast forward to 2AM I am suddenly waking up and sprinting to the bathroom. 30 minutes and some Immodium later I am back in bed. The same thing happens at 4AM. And then at 5:45 I wake up and realize that I am about to puke. I barely make it to the bathroom but there are still tragic consequences.

This is my second week at a new job and I can't take a sick day without raising eyebrows. Plus I'm paid hourly. So now I am camped out at my desk, miserable with chills, desperately counting down to 5PM.

Thanks, El Pollo Loco.

Angelino-GAF I am pissed off and sick and I need to vent. I stopped by El Pollo Loco last night and got a couple of pieces of chicken for dinner. Fast forward to 2AM I am suddenly waking up and sprinting to the bathroom. 30 minutes and some Immodium later I am back in bed. The same thing happens at 4AM. And then at 5:45 I wake up and realize that I am about to puke. I barely make it to the bathroom but there are still tragic consequences.

This is my second week at a new job and I can't take a sick day without raising eyebrows. Plus I'm paid hourly. So now I am camped out at my desk, miserable with chills, desperately counting down to 5PM.

Thanks, El Pollo Loco.

Probably bacteria due to improper handwashing from whichever El Pollo Loco you went to -_- This is why I try to make my own food whenever I can.

Thanks, El Pollo Loco.

Shoulda went to Juan Pollo instead.

Sobriquet

Glad I haven't been to El Pollo Loco in 14 years.

Sidenote: for those going to Downtown Artwalk on Thursday, my friend Ryan is having a gallery opening that night. It's called Let's Play Dead Gallery. It's really cool if you're into murdered baby dolls (who isn't!), so stop by and say hi! A lot of friends will be there (hopefully I will too).

Thanks for the recommendation! Went to the Costa Mesa one today for lunch. Very yummy and the size of the pork in my bowl was amazing. I'll definitely be hitting it up more.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
South Central (almost 2 miles away)

Huntington Park

West Athens

Alhambra

Are you a waiter or cook? Really want to try it.

Waiter on weekends
the black guy
I actually went there on a whim, I was really craving some Ramen the night before thanksgiving. It was exactly what I was looking for. I think it's better than that-one-ramen joint in Little Tokyo.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul

Thanks, El Pollo Loco.

oh yeah I've gotten butt pea before as well as vomiting from Pollo Loco. I ordered 2 piece meal with BBQ beans. Then I had a bad case of stomach flu. Worst week of my life. There's tea leaves to use for a tea that relieves diarrhea but I forgot what they're called or you could do what most mexicans do...mix a cup of coke/pepsi, baking soda, corn starch and lemon juice. Make sure its a 1/4th cup full with all these things mixed together. Then drink it. I can't promise you anything with this mexican recipe. Sometimes it works, sometime it doesn't.

Also, make oatmeal as a drinkable meal cuz eating anything solid will send you to the shitter. Eat soup too like campbells soup or whatever tickles your pickle.

Anyways, hopefully you're stacked with Charmin Ultra unless you want a sore ass where you cant even swipe tissue on your bottom without feeling the burn.

Mifune

Mehmber
Van Nuys
Sherman Oaks
West Hollywood
Atwater Village
Silverlake
Glendale (for a month)
Los Feliz

Also, sounds like I should stop eating El Pollo Loco. Yikes!

Top Bottom