• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Vita western launch thread | It only does everything, everywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duffyside

Banned
Five o'clock, still no Vita from UPS. This is the worst day in the history of the universe. No human being has ever suffered like this! I hate my parents for not getting me a Mercedes for Valentine's Day too!!

The people trolling those that picked up the FEB should be banned from this thread.

You didn't want it? You didn't get it. Congrats. Now fuck off and quit trying to shit on people enjoying a new system.

No one that got the FEB need bother trying t justify their decision to your satisfaction.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
has anyone else bought the warranty off the PSN Store? I'm debating whether or not the accidental damage protection is worth an extra $30 for 2 years...

Not knowing exactly what the accidental damage protection covers, have you ever dropped a device and actually break it? If no, I'd skip it.

Liamario

Banned
Two questions chaps & chapettes-

Can the official sony playstation stereo headset be paired up to the vita?

Has anyone tried party chat and what is the quality like?

I await you responses...

mxgt

Banned
Five o'clock, still no Vita from UPS. This is the worst day in the history of the universe. No human being has ever suffered like this! I hate my parents for not getting me a Mercedes for Valentine's Day too!!

Still gotta wait another week here.

Life is just not fair man

Does anyone have any complaints about fine aiming in Uncharted? IGN mentioned they weren't quite happy with this aspect of the analog sticks, and I was curious if this was a commonly held belief.

Bebpo

Banned
Wait, you can't turn auto-standby off? Only to 5 mins max? Uhh, some rpgs and Metal Gear games are going to make this an issue. It's one thing when the screen darkens like on PSP, but having it go BLACK in the middle of a cutscene and have to hit the button an do the slide to get back to it is not going to be cool :|

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
The people trolling those that picked up the FEB should be banned from this thread.

You didn't want it? You didn't get it. Congrats. Now fuck off and quit trying to shit on people enjoying a new system.

No one that got the FEB need bother trying t justify their decision to your satisfaction.

You need to calm down. If you don't like what they're saying, add them to ignore--that's what it's for.

patsu

Two questions chaps & chapettes-

Can the official sony playstation stereo headset be paired up to the vita?

Should be yes. Vita supports Bluetooth A2DP, so stereo headset should work. You can see the settings page in the Vita online manual (Google for it).

graywolf323

Not knowing exactly what the accidental damage protection covers, have you ever dropped a device and actually break it? If no, I'd skip it.

the website hasn't been updated for the Vita as well but it said this for the PSP version

Q:
What is the Accidental Damage Plan?

A:
The Accidental Damage Plan is for the PSP™ family of products. It supplements the original warranty with coverage that addresses the incidents that can happen with any portable product, such as a cracked screen that results from accidental dropping. This type of damage is not covered in the original manufacturer’s warranty, but it is now available from PlayStation® as an added benefit.

http://us.playstation.com/support/protection-plan/index.htm

First time for everything

yeah, I've never dropped my PSP but just more nervous with the Vita since more of my friends want to hold it...

Escape Plan is great. although I think people's opinion will vary depend on how much you can stomach touch control. it didn't work sometime, whether because I put my gesture wrong, it's a big sensitive to that, also when the guys standing close to each other sometime the gesture get mixed up to which character I want to control etc.

but the game have so much charm, it's hilarious to see these 2 guys animate. especially like Lil's animation when he drank cofee. lol. I haven't beat the game yet, but I'm already hoping for dlc packages for more level, or even a sequel with perhaps new character etc.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Can you see your Vita trophies on the PS3?

Nope. :(

Escape Plan is great. although I think people's opinion will vary depend on how much you can stomach touch control. it didn't work sometime, whether because I put my gesture wrong, it's a big sensitive to that, also when the guys standing close to each other sometime the gesture get mixed up to which character I want to control etc.

but the game have so much charm, it's hilarious to see these 2 guys animate. especially like Lil's animation when he drank cofee. lol. I haven't beat the game yet, but I'm already hoping for dlc packages for more level, or even a sequel with perhaps new character etc.

It's really great. I love the dark humor...when my guy fell and completely splattered his face all over the floor w/the audience laugh track, well, wasn't expecting that.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I can confirm Work Time Fun works on the Vita. So does the two Mercury games, 30 Second Hero and Everyday Shooter.

Someone tweet @jeffgerstmann about WTF. He loves that game.

I must say. This machine is an absolute pleasure to use!

So here we are day -7. We got the Vita games, PSP games, custom soundtracks, multi-tasking, party chat, DAT OLED, ect.

A week from now we'll have facebook, twitter, and skype.

Next will be remote play, ps1 support and ps suite.

This thing is only going to get bigger and better. We can only hope the Vita gets the mainstream success it deserves so the support will be there for a long time to come.

Sallokin

Hmmm after doing the system update my Vita no longer charges via USB through my PC. It was working just fine before I did the update when I had it plugged in as I was going through the setup process.

patsu

It's getting old.

I'm busy consolidating my media to my 32Gb Vita as we speak. Vita would be a great in-car entertainment system for me. I'm almost done. Loads of videos, music, photos to squeeze in.

Will load PSN PSP games and that MJ demo tonight. Already got FIFA, and I intend to go mostly digital so I don't have to deal with losing the small carts. No fun looking for them in my car if they drop.

For people who find their FEB smelly, use alcohol swab/wipe on them. Mine seems fine so far.

Only the details to worry about now (e.g., No way to sync bookmarks with my Mac, waiting for DLNA).

Still fooling around with the system. RemotePlay is cool and all, but I think they should update Vita's RemotePlay client to support touchscreen UI. 8^P

Ok. Your other detailed settings might be interesting too, if you don't mind posting them.

To be super detailed...

vitavideo1.jpg
vitavideo2.jpg
vitavideo3.jpg
vitavideo4.jpg
vitavideo5.jpg

Hmmm after doing the system update my Vita no longer charges via USB through my PC. It was working just fine before I did the update when I had it plugged in as I was going through the setup process.

Just to clarify, the vita doesn't charge over usb while the screen is on. Also, you must enable it in the settings.

Does anyone have any complaints about fine aiming in Uncharted? IGN mentioned they weren't quite happy with this aspect of the analog sticks, and I was curious if this was a commonly held belief.

I had no problems whatsoever. The gyro aiming is also functional, but it's obnoxious to have them both on at the same time (which was the default control scheme)

Also, pixel junk shooter is playable via remote play.

jgmo870

Banned

How are the puzzles? And do you know how long the game is?

Just went out to Best Buy and bought Uncharted, Wipeout 2048 and Lumines. Also bought the official screen protector...

All in all, it came to $153.96. However, a $50 gift card and $25 Visa gift card later, the total damage was $78.96!

Not bad! I LOVE THIS THING!

Edit: HOLY CRAP, are those Vita cases ever small... and terribly cute. I mean, they looked a lot bigger in pictures, even in comparison ones. But then you hold it...

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I had no problems whatsoever. The gyro aiming is also functional, but it's obnoxious to have them both on at the same time (which was the default control scheme)

Yeah, I fully expected to have problems with the aiming given the little time I spent with the analog sticks at Gamestop, but surprisingly it felt smooth and I was able to pop headshots easily w/o gyros.

I'm really surprised, actually.

Yoona

Banned
It's the full game. You can unlock all the trophies.

The only dilemma is that because you don't have a purchased copy of the game, the trophies you earn won't activate and will only be local to your Vita. They won't contribute to your Trophy Level or be viewable by people seeing your profile on other Vitas or Playstation.com.

At the moment I'm planning to play through the game (it does have a lot of silvers, golds and a Plat) and may purchase the full license when it goes on some digital sale sometime down the road so the trophies will count for something.

This is shite. I'm gonna delete that shit off my triple now. No point in playing it.

Yeah, I fully expected to have problems with the aiming given the little time I spent with the analog sticks at Gamestop, but surprisingly it felt smooth and I was able to pop headshots easily w/o gyros.

I'm really surprised, actually.

Same here. All the backlash about it had me prepared for massive disappointment.

I can't fine aim using analog for Uncharted GA at all. I'm still not sure if it's the analog sticks, or Uncharted's programming. thankfully, the gyro-aim is so much superior to even real analog sticks. I'm considering the gryo aiming to be the vital game mechanic in GA that differentiate it with Uncharted consoles.

I'm still waiting for Unit 13 to come out to test how the analog will work for actual fine aiming.

Mrbob

I HAS FOUR VITA GAMES

I HAS NO VITA

WHYYYYYYYYYY

You can stare at the sexy boxes for another week!

Or read the manuals inside. Oops! I'm guessing the manuals are all in the Live Area now? Uncharted box is empty except for the disc, and all Wipeout has is the online pass.

You can stare at the sexy boxes for another week!

Or read the manuals inside. Oops! I'm guessing the manuals are all in the Live Area now? Uncharted box is empty except for the disc, and all Wipeout has is the online pass.

Where did you get your vita exactly?

the website hasn't been updated for the Vita as well but it said this for the PSP version

Q:
What is the Accidental Damage Plan?

A:
The Accidental Damage Plan is for the PSP™ family of products. It supplements the original warranty with coverage that addresses the incidents that can happen with any portable product, such as a cracked screen that results from accidental dropping. This type of damage is not covered in the original manufacturer’s warranty, but it is now available from PlayStation® as an added benefit.

http://us.playstation.com/support/protection-plan/index.htm

yeah, I've never dropped my PSP but just more nervous with the Vita since more of my friends want to hold it...

I'm normally against extended warranties, but since that actually covers accidental damage at only $15 a year, that's actually not bad at all. I assume it's 2 years from purchase, not 2 years added to the 1 year warranty that comes with it by default. I may just bite on that.

Cookie18

It has been great reading everyone's initial impressions today. Surprisingly it has made the wait easier since I am off until Tuesday anyway. Currently filling the time until V day with Shadows of the Damned. I knew it was right to save this game :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom