• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are transgendered folk obligated to disclose that information to potential mates?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gaborn

Using your example of hair color, if your attraction to those who were blonde and those who had brown hair were equal in that you were very attracted to both, couldn't you simply choose to only date those with blonde hair? I don't know, sexuality is a very complex topic that I'm no expert on.

I mean, I suppose you COULD but most people simply see a person they're attracted to and (if they're reasonably self confident) will approach them. People don't usually say "I like blonds therefore I will never date brunettes" they say "I usually date blonds." My point being that bisexuality is much closer to that level of choice, that is, you can pretty much be attracted to anyone but you can't just switch off your feelings to the other sex if you're attracted to both.

Simplet

No one is saying that sexuality is ONLY genetic. Something I'm always linking in these threads is the piece 60 Minutes did on the very issue of whether being gay is a choice or genetic or whatever. You can see Part 1 and Part 2.

Sexuality has a large hormonal component (exposure in the womb) but IS largely controlled by genetics. Not exclusively, but mostly.

All of this is great, but it's still not "scientific facts" proving that people are born gay. I'm not even arguing one way or the other here, all I'm saying is that there is no point in attacking posters for posting the plain facts of the matter.

Daimaou

I mean, I suppose you COULD but most people simply see a person they're attracted to and (if they're reasonably self confident) will approach them. People don't usually say "I like blonds therefore I will never date brunettes" they say "I usually date blonds." My point being that bisexuality is much closer to that level of choice, that is, you can pretty much be attracted to anyone but you can't just switch off your feelings to the other sex if you're attracted to both.

It's a fair point. I was mostly speaking in hypothetical, as I suspect the number of people who would be able to make that choice would be very low, and wouldn't expect them to actually make that choice to begin with.

Mumei

All of this is great, but it's still not "scientific facts" proving that people are born gay. I'm not even arguing one way or the other here, all I'm saying is that there is no point in attacking posters for posting the plain facts of the matter.

I don't know about "scientific facts" (Why the quotes? Does the term mean something particular to you?), but all of the evidence for causes of homosexuality point to prenatal environment and genetics, and there happens to be more firm genetic evidence for male homosexuality than female.

Of course there's no point to any of this if you aren't going to explain what you do think causes it, though I imagine you won't.

Gaborn

I think it is scientific consensus (NARTH excluded) that people are born gay. There is simply no compelling evidence to suggest otherwise. Sexuality is fluid of course, but within a spectrum.

It's a fair point. I was mostly speaking in hypothetical, as I suspect the number of people who would be able to make that choice would be very low, and wouldn't expect them to actually make that choice to begin with.

That's fine, and I don't want you to think I'm upset with you or somethig, but I want you to think about it. What would the "choice" you're talking about look like in practice? I mean, some devout gay Christians choose to be celibate for example, which means they don't have sex with men but they're still gay. I mean, if you're just saying that people will make a choice not to leave the person they're currently dating because they're attracted to another person who they are NOT dating then of course.

lexi

Banned
Would it be fair to say that the consensus to the answer of the question of this thread is "yes"?

Kind of, the consensus I got was 'Yes, cause trans women are icky and I would want to avoid it, I respect you though! Like how I might respect someone with terminal cancer'

I don't know about "scientific facts" (Why the quotes? Does the term mean something particular to you?), but all of the evidence for causes of homosexuality point to prenatal environment and genetics, and there happens to be more firm genetic evidence for male homosexuality than female.

Of course there's no point to any of this if you aren't going to explain what you do think causes it, though I imagine you won't.

http://home60515.com/3.html

Sexual Abuse: A Major Cause Of Homosexuality?
It is a well-documented fact that many many homosexuals were sexually abused when young.(This paper will conclude with a list of some books which support that statement.)
In other words, there is an abundance of evidence that many many homosexuals were born heterosexual but were disoriented by sexual abuse.

Indeed, there are many more cases of sexual abuse than there are cases of homosexuality. As one large study discussed in a 1997 issue of the Journal of the American Medical Association found, on average 12.8% of women and 4.3% of men recall being sexually abused.1 (How many do not recall it?)

According to Dr. James E. Soukup, author of a book which deals with several subjects including sexual abuse: "In one national study in 1985, 27 percent of the females interviewed and 16 percent of the males reported to have been sexually abused as children. Other studies indicate that these figures are too low. It is suggested that eighty percent of all sexual abuse is not reported."2

The Associated Press noted in late 1998 that, according to an analysis of 166 studies covering the years 1985-97: "As many as one in five boys is sexually abused....It [also] concluded that sexual abuse of boys is underreported and undertreated....Earlier studies have shown that 25 percent to 35 percent of girls are sexually abused."3

(According to a JAMA review of literature re the sexual abuse of boys, only 10%-33% of male abuse victims ever tell anyone about that abuse.4 The review also found that: "Abused [male] adolescents, particularly those victimized by males, were up to 7 times more likely to self-identify as gay or bisexual than peers who had not been abused."5 And regarding female abuse victims, one study found that 38% of adult women ages 18-31 who were sexually abused when young [between ages 10 months to 12 years] did not remember that they were sexually abused when young.6)

Whatever the true percentages are of male and female sex abuse victims, considering how high the suggested/reported numbers are compared to the percentage of the population that is homosexual (only 1%-2%), we can see that sexual abuse can theoretically account for every case of homosexuality.

Too, there currently is no definitive proof that anyone is born homosexual. Several studies by homosexual researchers claimed to find some possible biological bases for homosexuality. But other scientists easily pointed out the flaws in those studies, and the results of those studies have yet to be replicated by others. In the words of pro-homosexual Newsweek magazine: "In the early '90s, three highly publicized studies seemed to suggest that homosexuality's roots were genetic....More than five years later the data have never been replicated."7 (This fact has been almost totally ignored by the biased, untrustworthy, dominant liberal media.) And in the May/June 2008 issue of Psychology Today we have this: "No one has yet identified a particular gay gene....There is no all-inclusive explanation for the variation in sexual orientation, at least none supported by actual evidence....[T]here are many different mechanisms [involving both nature and nurture], not a single one, for producing homosexuality."8

(And even if there ever was a "homosexual gene," since most if not all homosexuals do not sire offspring, one would think that homosexual genes would disappear or die out.)

So how can anyone claim, in good conscience, that homosexuals are born that way and have no choice? When someone says they are homosexual, our first response should be to try and find out if he/she was sexually abused and, if so, to then punish the abuser. Our next response should be to provide therapy to homosexuals to help them cope with their problems.

Those who push the born-homosexual line are effectively ignoring the sexual abuse of children. What kind of "people" want to let pedophiles get away with sexually abusing little kids?

(If sexual abuse happens to a one-year or two-year old child, he or she may not remember it later in life because it happened at such a young age. However, the trauma can govern the rest of the victim's life. Some homosexuals will swear they were never sexually abused, but they have no way of knowing for sure.)

Skilled psychologists and psychiatrists like Masters and Johnson, Charles Socarides, Joseph Nicolosi, Benjamin Kaufman, Elizabeth Moberly, Jeffrey Satinover, and Gerard van den Aardweg, have had success changing homosexuals into heterosexuals. (They have been successful because most if not all homosexuals were probably born heterosexual.)

Dr. Reuben Fine, Director of the New York Center for Psychoanalytic Training: "It is paradoxical that even though the politically active homosexual group denies the possibility of change, all studies from Schrenk-Notzing on have found positive effects, virtually regardless of the kind of treatment used....If the homosexual patients were motivated, whatever procedure [i.e., treatment] is adopted, a large percentage will give up their homosexuality."9

Those who oppose using therapy to change homosexuals into heterosexuals are, in effect, trying to keep homosexuals locked into homosexuality. Those who oppose such therapy do not want homosexuals to have a choice, a way out of homosexuality. That's un-American, inhumane, intolerant, and meanly oppressive.

In addition, considering all the solid scientific evidence that many homosexuals are mentally disturbed to one degree or another because of sexual abuse (or dysfunctional parents or other negative developmental influences many homosexuals experienced), it is clear that those psychiatrists and psychologists who say homosexuality should NOT be on the officially approved list of mental illnesses are seemingly incompetent malpractitioners. They appear to be more interested in being "politically correct" than in the truth. Incompetent malpractitioners should have their licenses to ply their professions revoked.

(A book written by Dr. Ronald Bayer, a pro-homosexual psychiatrist, titled Homosexuality and American Psychiatry: The Politics of Diagnosis, explains how the decision to remove homosexuality from the officially approved list of mental disorders was based on power politics and intimidation by homosexual groups NOT science.)

One last note: Homosexuals do not want you to know that many of them were sexually abused when young, because many people who were so abused go on to molest others. And homosexuals do not want you to know that they are more likely to molest children than heterosexuals are.10 (Note of clarification: While that is a fact, there is no proof at this time that it is because of their homosexuality, but rather because so many of them were sexually abused themselves.)

Footnotes
1. H. MacMillan, "Prevalence of Child Physical and Sexual Abuse in the Community," JAMA, July 9, 1997, p. 131.

2. James E. Soukup, Understanding and Living With People Who Are Mentally Ill (Springfield, IL: Charles C. Thomas Publishers, 1995), p. 104.

3. Associated Press, "Study: As many as 1 in 5 boys sexually abused," Chicago Tribune, Dec. 2, 1998, section 1, p. 22.

4. W.C. Holmes and G.B. Slap, "Sexual Abuse of Boys," JAMA, Dec. 2, 1998, p. 1859.

5. Ibid.

6. Jennifer A. Hurley (editor), Child Abuse: Opposing Viewpoints (San Diego: Greenhaven Press, 1999), pp. 113-14.

7. John Leland and Mark Miller, "Can Gays Convert?", Newsweek, Aug. 17, 1998, p. 49.

8. Robert Kunzig, "Finding the Switch," Psychology Today, May/June 2008, pp. 90 and 93.

9. Louis Diamant (editor), Male and Female Homosexuality: Psychological Approaches (Washington, DC: Hemisphere Publishing Corp., 1987), pp. 84-6.

10. Support for the position that homosexuals are more likely than heterosexuals to sexually abuse children can be found in the following sources:

Ray Blanchard, et al., "Fraternal Birth Order and Sexual Orientation in Pedophiles," Archives of Sexual Behavior 29 (2000), p. 464.

John M.W. Bradford, et al., "The Heterogeneity/Homogeneity of Pedophilia," Psychiatric Journal of the University of Ottawa 13 (1988), p. 218.

Michelle Elliott, "Child Sexual Abuse Prevention: What Offenders Tell Us," Child Abuse and Neglect 19 (1995), p. 581.

Kurt Freund, et al., "Heterosexuality, Homosexuality, and Erotic Age Preference, " Journal of Sex Research 26 (1989), pp. 107-17. This is an odd article in that it actually states (in a bow to political correctness?) that there is no correlation between homosexuality and pedophilia but provides clear statistics that indicate there is such a correlation.

Zebulon A. Silverthorne and Vernon L. Quinsey, "Sexual Partner Age Preferences of Homosexual and Heterosexual Men and Women," Archives of Sexual Behavior 29 (2000), pp. 67-76.

Robin D. Stone, No Secrets, No Lies (NY: Broadway Books, 2004), p. 153.

The following books, with page numbers, refer to the fact that many many homosexuals were sexually abused when young:

Teen Prostitution by Joan J. Johnson (NY & Chicago: Franklin Watts Publishers, 1992), p. 53.

Female Perversions by Dr. Louise J. Kaplan (NY: Doubleday, 1991), p. 437.

Invisible Lives by Martha Barron Barrett (NY: William Morrow & Co., 1989), p. 140.

Incest and Sexuality by therapists Wendy Maltz and Beverly Holman (Lexington, MA: Lexington Books, 1987), p. 72.

The Secret Trauma by Prof. Diane E.H. Russell (NY: Basic Books, Inc., 1986), p. 199.

The Broken Taboo: Sex in the Family by B. and R. Justice (quoted in the book Incest: a family pattern by Jean Renvoize [London: Routledge and Kegan Paul, 1982], p. 127).

The following books refer to the fact that many young victims of sexual abuse later experience confusion over their sexual identities:
The Consumer's Guide to Psychotherapy by Drs. Jack Engler and Daniel Goleman (NY: Simon & Schuster/Fireside, 1992), p. 414.

Desires in Conflict by Joe Dallas (Eugene, OR: Harvest House Publishers, 1991), p. 187.

Betrayal of Innocence by Dr. Susan Forward and Craig Buck (NY: Penguin Books, 1988), p. 96.

See also the magazine article "Does Physical Abuse, Sexual Abuse, or Neglect in Childhood Increase the Likelihood of Same-sex Sexual Relationships and Cohabitation? A Prospective 30-year Follow-up" by Helen Wilson and Cathy Widom in Archives of Sexual Behavior (January 7, 2009).

It's this kind of stuff that makes me agree with not legalizing gay marriage. I'm not a crazy bible-thumping Christian stuck on the sanctity of mmarriage, but I do not believe young children should be subject into environments like this. The more society gives, the more the homosexual community wants to spread. When do we draw the line?

Kind of, the consensus I got was 'Yes, cause trans women are icky and I would want to avoid it, I respect you though! Like how I might respect someone with terminal cancer'

Yeah that is more or less what I got, reading most of this thread.

I want to ask, what is the consensus if there is any in the transgender comunity about this very subject? I know you said that everyone you dated already knew, but judging by your responces I guess you believe the trans folks are not in any obligation to tell, so if you yourself were in the dating scene, how would you handle it?

LCGeek

formerly sane
http://home60515.com/3.html

It's this kind of stuff that makes me agree with not legalizing gay marriage. I'm not a crazy bible-thumping Christian stuck on the sanctity of mmarriage, but I do not believe young children should be subject into environments like this. The more society gives, the more the homosexual community wants to spread. When do we draw the line?

If there is one thing I hate is lumping tg in with homosexuality they have very similiar points but I hate to say it we aren't that crowd nor do stats show such things about this. Way to post a study bolstering your point but leaving a good main bit out is that abuse doesn't take place with gay couple it takes place with straight couples.

lexi

Banned
Cpt. Sparrow, I have to assume that is Santorum-like trolling, you are sourcing from an anti-gay propaganda website.

Yeah that is more or less what I got, reading most of this thread.

I want to ask, what is the consensus if there is any in the transgender comunity about this very subject? I know you said that everyone you dated already knew, but judging by your responces I guess you believe the trans folks are not in any obligation to tell, so if you yourself were in the dating scene, how would you handle it?

I don't think there is a binding universal consensus. Many people believe in disclosure early, like me, but others don't really see it as something that is necessary to tell about themselves particularly early.

I only have one hard and fast rule and that's to disclose before sex.

Grinchy

Banned
Yes, this is good. It may not exist when born but still not be choice. I suppose you might be able to argue further that even if it was set by the time we are born, it is not expressed until much later.

Yeah I've always kind of wondered about that. Some folks try to argue that homosexuals aren't born gay, but I've always wondered if any of us are born with any sexuality whatsoever. It's pretty fascinating to think about, really. No matter what, I believe a person's sexuality comes naturally.

If there is one thing I hate is lumping tg in with homosexuality they have very similiar points but I hate to say it we aren't that crowd nor do stats show such things about this. Way to post a study bolstering your point but leaving a good main bit out is that abuse doesn't take place with gay couple it takes place with straight couples.

My post shows how influence at a young age affects so much. Would you suppose that having two fathers would make a son more, less, or equal likely to become homosexual? And why?

Also, would you like me to post an article about drug use and homosexuals? Again, I don't intend to come in here as a gay basher, you just can't argue the statistics that prove many of them are very troubled.

Gaborn

I'm not sure a study quoted by "H.O.M.E. Heterosexuals Organized for a Moral Environment" should be treated as particularly credible. I agree with Lexi that Captain Sparrow is PROBABLY (and by that I mean hopefully) trolling.

Daimaou

That's fine, and I don't want you to think I'm upset with you or somethig, but I want you to think about it. What would the "choice" you're talking about look like in practice? I mean, some devout gay Christians choose to be celibate for example, which means they don't have sex with men but they're still gay. I mean, if you're just saying that people will make a choice not to leave the person they're currently dating because they're attracted to another person who they are NOT dating then of course.

Don't worry, I didn't think you were upset with me. I see what you're saying much more clearly now, though. I made an error in extending the word sexuality to also mean one's chosen actions when in relationships, when it should pretty much exclusively be applied to what one feels an attraction to.

Though my question is now what should those chosen actions be called, if there is such a term? That's probably a question for a different topic, however.

Simplet

I put quotes around it because all I'm doing is going back to that post that Gaborn quoted in the first place over and over again? You know, the only point I've been arguing since the beginning?

That's the reason why my own position on the matter has no relevance. But you want to hear it, because arguing against the sacred dogma that people are born gay must mean that I'm a rabbid bigot, even though it's bad science. My own position on the matter is that I believe there are multiple factors for why people are gay. I'm not saying that it's a combination of different factors (though I'm also saying that), I'm saying that different people are gay for different reasons. Most are surely predisposed (but toward what? Risk seeking? Unorthodox behaviour in general? Is their brain structured in a more feminine way? But is there even a link between your brain being more like that of a female and homosexuality? And if so, is it always the case? I certainly don't believe that you're born with a visual image of yourself sucking a dick imprinted in your psyche), and based on that predisposition (we still don't know toward what) they probably fix their sexual attention toward males during early infancy (during a period where they actually have the faintest idea of what a male is). Some other people probably go through different experiences either during their childhood or later in life that either give them a shock that finally ends with them being attracted to males after a period of confusion, or kickstarts some latent attraction to males they might have had without noticing it. And so on so forth.

I think it is scientific consensus (NARTH excluded) that people are born gay. There is simply no compelling evidence to suggest otherwise. Sexuality is fluid of course, but within a spectrum.

I don't think it's the case. I see a consensus that there are genetic and hormonal factors that creates the conditions for people being gay, I don't see a consensus that people have their future sexuality carved in their brains from the minute they're born.

I'm not sure a study quoted by "H.O.M.E. Heterosexuals Organized for a Moral Environment" should be treated as particularly credible. I agree with Lexi that Captain Sparrow is PROBABLY (and by that I mean hopefully) trolling.

If by trolling you mean posting an article that quotes many books from doctors, then yes.

277162_226677304051189_2289319_n.jpg

Obviously, this site has an agenda. You aren't going to find facts that don't favor homosexuals on a dog lover's sites. Which studies or books are in question here? Surely you have a more compelling argument than "well it's an anti-gay site"?

Gaborn

Don't worry, I didn't think you were upset with me. I see what you're saying much more clearly now, though. I made an error in extending the word sexuality to also mean one's chosen actions when in relationships, when it should pretty much exclusively be applied to what one feels an attraction to.

Though my question is now what should those chosen actions be called, if there is such a term? That's probably a question for a different topic, however.

It's a somewhat sticky topic because everyone has subtle differences. I think "preference" can be a good word here. Like I said, I'm generally more attracted to people with blond hair (not a hard and fast rule though) therefore I have a "preference" for blond hair. It gets harder with as I mentioned, devout Christians who can't date men because of their faith and so opt for celibacy or even try marrying a woman in the vain hope of a transformation.

lexi

Banned
Would you said that most transgender people agree with that rule?

I don't know. I think most feel that is necessary to tell their partner, the time frame is really an individual thing. I'm speaking of committed, serious relationships here. For casual / one night stands, I don't think disclosure is particularly necessary.

Gaborn

I put quotes around it because all I'm doing is going back to that post that Gaborn quoted in the first place over and over again? You know, the only point I've been arguing since the beginning?

That's the reason why my own position on the matter has no relevance. But you want to hear it, because arguing against the sacred dogma that people are born gay must mean that I'm a rabbid bigot, even though it's bad science. My own position on the matter is that I believe there are multiple factors for why people are gay. I'm not saying that it's a combination of different factors (though I'm also saying that), I'm saying that different people are gay for different reasons. Most are surely predisposed (but toward what? Risk seeking? Unorthodox behaviour in general? Is their brain structured in a more feminine way? But is there even a link between you're brain being more like that of a female and homosexuality? And if so, is it always the case? I certainly don't believe that you're born with a visual image of yourself sucking a dick imprinted in your psyche), and based on that predisposition (we still don't know toward what) they probably fix their sexual attention toward males during early infancy (during a period where they actually have the faintest idea of what a male is). Some other people probably go through different experiences either during their childhood or later in life that either give them a shock that finally ends with them being attracted to males after a period of confusion, or kickstarts some latent attraction to males they might have had without noticing it. And so on so forth.

This has absolutely no scientific consensus at all. Far from it, it is explicitly rejected by the major scientific organizations.

I don't think it's the case. I see a consensus that there are genetic and hormonal factors that creates the conditions for people being gay, I don't see a consensus that people have their future sexuality carved in their brains from the minute they're born.

I think there is good evidence for it on the other hand. The evidence suggests that is all largely determined in the womb and through genetic predisposition.

Captain Sparrow - Really? I mean... REALLY? You might want to look at where most of those sources (they cite JOE DALLAS there!) are coming from as well. Again though, their positions are not consistent with mainstream psychiatry.

Daimaou

It's a somewhat sticky topic because everyone has subtle differences. I think "preference" can be a good word here. Like I said, I'm generally more attracted to people with blond hair (not a hard and fast rule though) therefore I have a "preference" for blond hair. It gets harder with as I mentioned, devout Christians who can't date men because of their faith and so opt for celibacy or even try marrying a woman in the vain hope of a transformation.

Thinking about it more, it's probably better that it doesn't have a term. Having a term that implied choice would probably lead it to be conflated with sexuality as a whole being a choice. Vaguely analogous to how people confuse the scientific terms "theory" with "hypothesis."

Thank you for indulging me, by the way.

Mumei

If by trolling you mean posting an article that quotes many books from doctors, then yes.

277162_226677304051189_2289319_n.jpg

Obviously, this site has an agenda. You aren't going to find facts that don't favor homosexuals on a dog lover's sites. Which studies or books are in question here? Surely you have a more compelling argument than "well it's an anti-gay site"?

Yes, actually.

There's a well-known history of anti-gay groups misrepresenting and quote-mining legitimate scientific research in order to claim that it says things that it doesn't say; even when anti-gay groups like that happen to source legitimate sources, they are not necessarily representing them accurately. And as has been pointed out, not all of their sources are particularly scholarly. It also happens to be a trope amongst Christian reparative therapy circles that homosexuality is begat by abuse; the point is to conflate pedophilia and homosexuality.

And given that what you (and Simplet, for that matter) are peddling goes against what every major organization with a position statement on issues of homosexuality, from adoption to health to psychology to psychiatry in Western countries around the world, I would put my marbles in the "not scholarly" and "misrepresenting scholarly research" baskets.

Gaborn

Thinking about it more, it's probably better that it doesn't have a term. Having a term that implied choice would probably lead it to be conflated with sexuality as a whole being a choice. Vaguely analogous to how people confuse the scientific terms "theory" with "hypothesis."

Thank you for indulging me, by the way.

No problem at all!

Simplet

This has absolutely no scientific consensus at all. Far from it, it is explicitly rejected by the major scientific organizations.

I'd like to see that evidence. Heck I'm heterosexual and I'm pretty sure I could train myself into being attracted to males under the right conditions (EDIT : I'M NOT SAYING I CHOSE TO BECOME HETEROSEXUAL). How do you explain war times/prison homosexuality and so forth?

I think there is good evidence for it on the other hand. The evidence suggests that is all largely determined in the womb and through genetic predisposition.

I seriously have no idea how someone would even begin to search for evidence suggesting that you're already gay coming out of the womb, and you're not just predisposed to it until you become gay a little bit later.

Gaborn, Sparrow and Simplet seem to be arguing about matters that do not consent this topic, I would subject someone creates a new thread to discuss the gay choice or no issue, here let me give a little hipotetical so you guys have fun: "What if like some medical doctor finds a "cure" for homosexuality and proves it to work 100% and the conservatives are like, trying to pass a law to have all natal hospitals use the procedure in the name of "eliminating birth defects" "

Mumei

I'd like to see that evidence. Heck I'm heterosexual and I'm pretty sure I could train myself into being attracted to males under the right conditions (EDIT : I'M NOT SAYING I CHOSE TO BECOME HETEROSEXUAL). How do you explain war times/prison homosexuality and so forth?

Fluidity of sexuality and reconstructions of sexuality.

For instance, in prison rape, the man being raped is meant to stand in for a woman and is not viewed as a "man" but as a bitch (or at the very least substitute-woman). The man doing the raping maintains his heterosexuality in his own eyes (and more importantly perhaps for him, in the eyes of other prisoners). So the construct is not "male / female", but "penetrator / penetratee." And the man being raped loses his masculinity, whereas the man raping maintains his. Most prison rape is not done by homosexual men; it is done by heterosexual men, who view themselves as heterosexual, view the man (or men) that they rape as substitutes for women, and if they are released, immediately go back to having sexual relations with women.

This construction is a sort of perverted and more violent version of the way the boundaries between homosexuality and heterosexuality were constructed in large cities in the United States and Europe at the turn of the twentieth-century until around the 1930s, and has deeper historical roots with regards to attitudes about masculinity and sex as conquest metaphors (even using the same root words in the Latin) going back to the Romans.

And I'm quite certain I couldn't make myself become interested in women, and I actually took the time to try. Not all of us are as sexually fluid as you say you might be.

I seriously have no idea how someone would even begin to search for evidence suggesting that you're already gay coming out of the womb, and you're not just predisposed to it until you become gay a little bit later.

I think you're talking at cross-purposes with him on this particular point, though I'll leave that for him to say for certain.

Simplet

Ah ah I finally thought of an experiment to determine whether people are born gay or not. Do you guys believe that if a gay child was abducted at birth and raised by space aliens from the planet Schbl, and never allowed to watch himself in a mirror to boot, his first reaction to seeing a naked human male for the first time would be to be sexually aroused? Same thing for a heterosexual child and a human female?

Sibylus

Banned
Sparrow, it takes some doing to dig up a source that rank. I suppose it's possible you failed to see (or ignored) the countless stingers strewn throughout those pages, the religious fundamentalist allusions, sources, and organizations, the questions begged. One is left without any doubt about the thrust of the assertions: The molested are wounded people. Gays are oft molested. Oft molested molest in turn. Gays don't want you to know these things (don't trust the Gays). It's a hop, skip, and a jump from becoming a shrill fire and brimstone polemic, and doubtlessly made an effort to avoid such to effect the appearance of a serious and impartial treatment of the subject. To say they failed even in that is to engage in a titanic understatement. But if such a farce is sufficient to sway your mind, by all means indulge.

Ah ah I finally thought of an experiment to determine whether people are born gay or not. Do you guys believe that if a gay child was abducted at birth and raised by space aliens from the planet Schbl, and never allowed to watch himself in a mirror to boot, his first reaction to seeing a naked human male for the first time would be to be sexually aroused? Same thing for a heterosexual child and and a human female?
Here is another experiment to determine sexuality: imagine that all women die, like right now, do you see yourself having a homosexual relation after 10 years of having no other options available to you?

Gaborn

I think you're talking at cross-purposes with him on this particular point, though I'll leave that for him to say for certain.

Yeah, I'm not quite saying that. I think the best evidence shows that the majority of "triggers" for a predisposition to homosexuality occur pre-birth, in terms of genetics, hormone exposue. I have not seen presented compelling evidence that psuedo scientific theories like an overbearing mother or a distant father (as Joseph Nicolosi of NARTH has postulated) are factors in sexual development. Could there be some factor both birth that influences it to one degree or another? Sure. For example, although anyone can be born gay in my view I would imagine that a child raised in a very devout religious house hold is more likely to delay coming out and is more likely to seek to reconcile their faith and orientation in some way.

Gaborn

Ah ah I finally thought of an experiment to determine whether people are born gay or not. Do you guys believe that if a gay child was abducted at birth and raised by space aliens from the planet Schbl, and never allowed to watch himself in a mirror to boot, his first reaction to seeing a naked human male for the first time would be to be sexually aroused? Same thing for a heterosexual child and a human female?

How about twin studies:

"We found 52 percent of identical twin brothers of gay men also were gay, compared with 22 percent of fraternal twins, compared with 11 percent of genetically unrelated brothers," said J. Michael Bailey, an assistant professor of psychology at Northwestern University in Evanston, "which is exactly the kind of pattern you would want to see if something genetic were going on." By "unrelated," Dr. Bailey was referring to brothers by adoption.

"The genetically most similar brothers were also the ones most likely to be gay, by a large margin," he added.

That shows a very strong genetic aspect to sexuality.

Edit: Didn't mean to double post.

Simplet

Here is another experiment to determine sexuality: imagine that all women die, like right now, do you see yourself having a homosexual relation after 10 years of having no other options available to you?

I'm going to say yes, but I have a low sex-drive and I might survive on old porn rather than do all the work of turning my sexuality around.

edit : maybe 20 years

lexi

Banned

Does that include trans women?

How's that for getting back on topic?

Simplet

How about twin studies:

""We found 52 percent of identical twin brothers of gay men also were gay, compared with 22 percent of fraternal twins, compared with 11 percent of genetically unrelated brothers," said J. Michael Bailey, an assistant professor of psychology at Northwestern University in Evanston, "which is exactly the kind of pattern you would want to see if something genetic were going on." By "unrelated," Dr. Bailey was referring to brothers by adoption."

"The genetically most similar brothers were also the ones most likely to be gay, by a large margin," he added.

That shows a very strong genetic aspect to sexuality.

Edit: Didn't mean to double post.

Well I don't think anyone (not me at least) contested that there is a genetic/prenatal environment aspect. But twins with the exact same genetic material in the same placenta, and only 52% of those gay men's twins are gay? That doesn't seem to indicate that they were born gay, what kind of factors could have made the other twin born heterosexual? Their respective position in the placenta?

Story doesn't really say if those are twins separated at birth or not.

Gaborn

Well I don't think anyone (not me at least) contested that there is a genetic aspect. But twins with the exact same genetic material in the same placenta, and only 52% of those gay men's twins are gay? That doesn't seem to indicate that they were born gay, what kind of factors could have made the other twin born heterosexual? Their respective position in the Placenta?

Story doesn't really say if those are twins separated at birth or not.

Not sure what other factors could have influenced the difference, but remember even in the same womb exposure to hormones at different times may be different, or differently concentrated. the percentages there though and the difference between genetic twins and more distant relations is more than sufficient to say that genetics do most of the work.

I would assume though the adopted brother (genetically unrelated) was separated from the non-adopted brother at birth though.

i_am_ben

running_here_and_there
Gaborn, Sparrow and Simplet seem to be arguing about matters that do not consent this topic, I would subject someone creates a new thread to discuss the gay choice or no issue, here let me give a little hipotetical so you guys have fun: "What if like some medical doctor finds a "cure" for homosexuality and proves it to work 100% and the conservatives are like, trying to pass a law to have all natal hospitals use the procedure in the name of "eliminating birth defects" "

Charles Xavier will save us!

Simplet

Not sure what other factors could have influenced the difference, but remember even in the same womb exposure to hormones at different times may be different, or differently concentrated. the percentages there though and the difference between genetic twins and more distant relations is more than sufficient to say that genetics do most of the work.

I would assume though the adopted brother (genetically unrelated) was separated from the non-adopted brother at birth though.

Hum if those are not twins separated at birth you're not really controlling for environmental factors then are you? But even then I have to say it's really difficult to derive from those numbers that those twins are born one way or the other, it rather seems to indicate the opposite (with genes and prenatal environment having a strong influence on the way your sexuality develops later).

We'll just have to agree to disagree, you have to admit though that there isn't any scientific proof one way or another, and I still don't see that consensus you were talking about frankly.

Gaborn

Hum if those are not twins separated at birth you're not really controlling for environmental factors then are you? But even then I have to say it's really difficult to derive from those numbers that those twins are born one way or the other, it rather seems to indicate the opposite (with genes and prenatal environment having a strong influence on the way your sexuality develops later).

We'll just have to agree to disagree, you have to admit though that there isn't any scientific proof one way or another, and I still don't see that consensus you were talking about frankly.

But whether you are or you are not doesn't matter. The fact that the gap between genetic twins and fraternal twins is as wide as it is is more than suggestive that genetics are a factor. In fact it is extremely strong support for the position.

Mumei

To expand a bit on what Gaborn said, if genetics had played no role, one would expect the brother of a gay man to be as likely as a random man in the general population is to be gay. Estimates vary, but let's be conservative and say 2 - 5%. Instead what was found was that the concordance rate increases as genetic similarity increases; monozygotic (one egg) twins had a concordance rate of 52%, whereas dizygotic twins had a concordance rate of 22% (similar to the concordance rate of non-twin siblings). This is strong evidence of genetics playing a role in causing homosexuality, as concordance increases as genetic similarity increases. It also means, however, that genetics is not the only factor, as it is not 100%. There is other evidence to suggest that the pre-natal environment plays a factor in causing homosexuality.

And the issue at stake here is not scientific proof, but evidence. The evidence points towards prenatal environment (e.g. the womb, which as Gaborn said is not identical for both twins) and genetics. While there have been attempts to use post-natal explanations such as sexual experience (positive and abusive) or socialization or various psychoanalytic explanations about domineering mothers / distant fathers, but none of these have evidence supporting them and no one has explained how they are supposed to function.

Simplet

But whether you are or you are not doesn't matter. The fact that the gap between genetic twins and fraternal twins is as wide as it is is more than suggestive that genetics are a factor. In fact it is extremely strong support for the position.

Once again, yes. Genetics and prenatal environment are most decidedly a factor. Still not convinced about the being born gay thing, and still not convinced there's a scientific consensus around it.

To expand a bit on what Gaborn said, if genetics had played no role, one would expect the brother of a gay man to be as likely as a random man in the general population is to be gay. Estimates vary, but let's be conservative and say 2 - 5%. Instead what was found was that the concordance rate increases as genetic similarity increases; monozygotic (one egg) twins had a concordance rate of 52%, whereas dizygotic twins had a concordance rate of 22% (similar to the concordance rate of non-twin siblings). This is strong evidence of genetics playing a role in causing homosexuality, as concordance increases as genetic similarity increases. It also means, however, that genetics is not the only factor, as it is not 100%. There is other evidence to suggest that the pre-natal environment plays a factor in causing homosexuality.

And the issue at stake here is not scientific proof, but evidence. The evidence points towards prenatal environment (e.g. the womb, which as Gaborn said is not identical for both twins) and genetics. While there have been attempts to use post-natal explanations such as sexual experience (positive and abusive) or socialization or various psychoanalytic explanations about domineering mothers / distant fathers, but none of these have evidence supporting them and no one has explained how they are supposed to function.

Same response really.

Gaborn

Once again, yes. Genetics and prenatal environment is most decidedly a factor. Still not convinced about the being born gay thing, and still not convinced there's a scientific consensus around it.

you have yet to provide any evidence for "not born gay" though. Do you have a study in mind suggestive of other factors?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom