• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breaking Bad - Season 4 - Sundays on AMC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good shows don't do actually do this because it's a waste of time. Why go through the effort of setting up a major conflict, and then not have any payoff whatsoever, when you could just not set up in the first place?

Shaggy dog stories, aborted arcs, etc. are meant to be avoided.
umm how is it a waste of time for viewers? We know it happened, it adds depth to walt in this example, it affected the way we look at things quite strongly. And if Jesse never finds out it won't make the impact on us any less.

I'm not saying it's always wrong to play your cards, but I'm just saying I think this is one time where it would be. We've already seen Jesse and Walt at odds, not saying I never want to see it again but let it happen organically if they are gonna do that story again.

BullSHIT. More BB in like FOUR MONTHS?!?!

ssATp.gif

- Indiewire Video: The story of BREAKING BAD, as told by its opening scenes
Editor's note: Each episode of AMC's drama Breaking Bad starts with a prologue or teaser. Some of these advance the season's ongoing plot. Others feel like self-contained, at times experimental short films. We wondered: If you strung all of the opening scenes from the various seasons together in chronological order, would the show's basic narrative make sense? And, if people who had never watched Breaking Bad watched only these curtain-raisers, would they come away with a more or less accurate impression of the show? Or would it seem like a different program entirely?

We asked Press Play contributor Dave Bunting, Jr. to edit the prologues together in chronological order to create two self-contained Breaking Bad movies, one covering Seasons 1 and 2, the other covering 3 and 4. Then we asked another Press Play contributor, Sheila O'Malley -- who has never seen a frame of the series -- to watch the two compilations and write down her impressions. Sheila was asked not to read any supplementary material before or during the experiment, and she agreed. Her written account is derived entirely from having watched Dave's compilations. Shorn of everything but its openings, was Breaking Bad still Breaking Bad? Read on and see.

Tawpgun

Just finished Season 4.

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn

So I'm assuming the only possible big problems for Walt will be the Cartel. I'm assuming his family will find out whats up in Season 5 too.

BigAT

Just finished Season 4.

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn

So I'm assuming the only possible big problems for Walt will be the Cartel. I'm assuming his family will find out whats up in Season 5 too.

I imagine Hank will be a very big problem going forward.

Ok, I've gotta say that I'm massively disappointed about this show. Currently halfway through Season 3 and I've just got to ask: does it get better? I mean no offense, but I completely fail to see why this is such a loved show. It does have it's awesome moments, but for the most part it's the same inane bullshit back and forth every single episode...
The story is kind of ok, the premise is brilliant, but absolutely misused and mostly wasted because of very shallow one dimentional characters... Walt is 70% great, but everyone else is just uninteresting and predictable. Every single character other than Walt feels way to familiar and stale. I don't know, maybe it's me but I was expecting something better. Considering the hype behind it I was expecting it to at least be better than jut "okay".

Bottom line, does it get any better from now on?

I'm halfway through season 3, right after
Hank punches Jesse after the whole fabricated phone call regarding Marie.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Ok, I've gotta say that I'm massively disappointed about this show. Currently halfway through Season 3 and I've just got to ask: does it get better? I mean no offense, but I completely fail to see why this is such a loved show. It does have it's awesome moments, but for the most part it's the same inane bullshit back and forth every single episode...
The story is kind of ok, the premise is brilliant, but absolutely misused and mostly wasted because of very shallow one dimentional characters... Walt is 70% great, but everyone else is just uninteresting and predictable. Every single character other than Walt feels way to familiar and stale. I don't know, maybe it's me but I was expecting something better. Considering the hype behind it I was expecting it to at least be better than jut "okay".

I've never seen an opinion about Breaking Bad even remotely like this. This is groundbreaking stuff. I don't even know what to say, this is just beyond my realm of comprehension.

If you don't like it by now you probably never will tbh

I like it. I just don't think it's anything special. It's "okay". I enjoy watching it, I just don't understand why it gets as hyped as it does.
I've never disliked BB so far (except for the villains... how about a little effort on that department?), but apart from isolated moments here and there I haven't loved it either.

Avinexus

The last few episodes of season 4 is probably the best string of episodes in the show in my opinion.

The worst part about the show, for me, is how slow moving it is. They can take up 4-5 episodes and nothing of actual importance will happen at all. They could condense each season down to 8 episodes and it would be the exact same.

And that comes from someone who likes the show, I had my father and brother watch the show. My brother didn't make it past season 2 because he was so bored watching it.

if you fail to see it, maybe it's just not for you. That's totally weird and not normal and you should feel bad, but not for you none the less. But you've watched so much, might as well just finish it.

wtffff Gus is one of the best villains ever

Thanks for the spoilers, btw. oO

Up to where I've watched, Gus is not a villain... so I can't comment on that. I do enjoy Gus's character, though. Not an amazing character, what with the the whole stereotypically calculating silent type vibe going on, but I like him. In fact, he's the only character other than Walter I've liked so far.

if you fail to see it, maybe it's just not for you. That's totally weird and not normal and you should feel bad, but not for you none the less. But you've watched so much, might as well just finish it.

Not for me? I'm not sure what that's supposed to mean. When a show's good, it's universally good, for everyone excluding anyone with particular sensibilites (for example, of course The Wire's gonna be a bad show for gammy, as she loathes violence). I'm completely open minded about the show and like I've said, I liked it so far. But it's very far from the quintessential end-all be-all of drama television that everyone keeps hailing it as. The writing is nowhere near HBO level of quality and most characters are very very shallow. And I do agree with Avinexus that they do tend to stretch things out a bit.

This is the Season 4 thread. Everything up through S4 is fair game since it's already aired, so I'm not sure what you were expecting. If you'd like to discuss the series on your terms, make or use a LTTP thread.

Well, I wasn't really intending on peeking outside posts replying directly to me and since he was replying to my post I thought he would be a bit more carefull, but all in all, no harm done, it's not like it wasn't obvious Gus was going to become the main antagonist in the near future.

Anywhoo... I can't make threads and the last time I bumped an old thread I almost got banned, so that was a no no... so I double posted here and in the other BB praise thread.

Yo soy loco por los Cornballs.

Don't know what to tell ya, it's universally praised and praised heavily at that. And like you said, the problem must be with you then, something isn't gelling for you for some reason. Hence it's not for you.

big ander

Not for me? I'm not sure what that's supposed to mean. When a show's good, it's universally good, for everyone excluding anyone with particular sensibilites (for example, of course The Wire's gonna be a bad show for gammy, as she loathes violence). I'm completely open minded about the show and like I've said, I liked it so far. But it's very far from the quintessential end-all be-all of drama television that everyone keeps hailing it as. The writing is nowhere near HBO level of quality and most characters are very very shallow. And I do agree with Avinexus that they do tend to stretch things out a bit.

Heh, seems like someone doesn't quite understand how criticism can work. There is no universal good. Ever. Subjectivity is unavoidable. Shows (and all piece of media or art) have qualitative elements that you can use to support your subjective opinions, which is what makes the opinions of some better defended than that of others, but nothing is concrete.

The writing's pretty great. The frequent parallel, symbolic situations that occur never seem forced and they illustrate a lot about each character's motivation. An example would be Walt forcing Jr. to drink. It was completely separated from the main plot, but it showcased the agression that had been growing inside Walt since the beginning of his drug dealings and how his short-sightedness and volatility were beginning to impact his family negatively. I'd also argue that this kind of thing lends depth to the characters. Jesse Pinkman has been expertly developed. Every stage of his in the show, from bright-eyed punk to a man vacated of all emotions but self-hatred, has unveiled a new facet of his persona that feels organic when set alongside the ones before it. He's caring but misguided. He's a good judge of morals when he tries hard to be, but far too often he's much too weak to step back and form an opinion. Jesse's a man of contradictions that somehow brilliantly form a cohesive person.

Don't know what to tell ya, it's universally praised and praised heavily at that. And like you said, the problem must be with you then, something isn't gelling for you for some reason. Hence it's not for you.

Meh. It's praised to a point where I agree. Mad Men, Boardwalk Empire and Game of Thrones are still the heavy hitters and yes, I do concede that BB is the 4th best show on american TV and it does get praised accordingly... it gets the right amount of praise.

The whole "it must be me" thing is just a way for people to not freak out at me, but if we're being honest Breaking Bad is a decent, no... a GOOD drama. But still many levels of greatness below giants like The Wire, Dekalog, Deadwood or Alexanderplatz. It's not a matter of me not "getting" it, I think it's a matter of me expecting outstanding quality and being presented with a product that's just decent.

The real question here is... why is this getting hyped... I don't understand, as it's not a very adrenalin-high show. It's a slowly unraveling drama with some splashes of action. it makes me wonder... why not Boardwalk? Why not Mad Men? Why Breaking Bad? oO

big ander

Meh. It's praised to a point where I agree. Mad Men, Boardwalk Empire and Game of Thrones are still the heavy hitters and yes, I do concede that BB is the 4th best show on american TV and it does get praised accordingly... it gets the right amount of praise.

The whole "it must be me" thing is just a way for people to not freak out at me, but if we're being honest Breaking Bad is a decent, no... a GOOD drama. But still many levels of greatness below giants like The Wire, Dekalog, Deadwood or Alexanderplatz. It's not a matter of me not "getting" it, I think it's a matter of me expecting outstanding quality and being presented with a product that's just decent.

The real question here is... why is this getting hyped... I don't understand, as it's not a very adrenalin-high show. It's a slowly unraveling drama with some splashes of action. it makes me wonder... why not Boardwalk? Why not Mad Men? Why Breaking Bad? oO
What you have right here is the exact opposite of a convincing argument. Claiming "if we're being honest" as if everyone else is lying to themselves and then rattling off several other shows doesn't defend or reinforce a single one of the statements you've made. If anything, it weakens them by showing that you haven't come up with a way of defending them. Don't ruin yourself like that.

Breaking Bad has far more pure action than Mad Men or other similar shows, so it sure delivers the adrenaline in that respect. In fact, I don't see how anyone could say Mad Men is adrenaline-filled. I love the show, but not for spectacle or thrills. It's about becoming enveloped in several wonderful characters.
As for why it spurs on excitement when it unravels slowly (I'd argue it's pace isn't slow, just slower than most broadcast dramas), it's because the slow burn is tense and hair-raising. Excellent microcosm of this is an episode you haven't reached yet called Box Cutter.

Heh, seems like someone doesn't quite understand how criticism can work. There is no universal good. Ever. Subjectivity is unavoidable. Shows (and all piece of media or art) have qualitative elements that you can use to support your subjective opinions, which is what makes the opinions of some better defended than that of others, but nothing is concrete.

The writing's pretty great. The frequent parallel, symbolic situations that occur never seem forced and they illustrate a lot about each character's motivation. An example would be Walt forcing Jr. to drink. It was completely separated from the main plot, but it showcased the agression that had been growing inside Walt since the beginning of his drug dealings and how his short-sightedness and volatility were beginning to impact his family negatively. I'd also argue that this kind of thing lends depth to the characters. Jesse Pinkman has been expertly developed. Every stage of his in the show, from bright-eyed punk to a man vacated of all emotions but self-hatred, has unveiled a new facet of his persona that feels organic when set alongside the ones before it. He's caring but misguided. He's a good judge of morals when he tries hard to be, but far too often he's much too weak to step back and form an opinion. Jesse's a man of contradictions that somehow brilliantly form a cohesive person.

What I meant by universally good is that it can be enjoyed by anyone who isn't biased against it.

Let's take your avatar as the perfect example of my point: not matter how good Friday Night Lights may be, I'll never enjoy it, as I hate handegg and the whole north american high school culture... I'm biased against it, therefore I'll never be able to enjoy it to it's full potential. What I mean by universally good in this picture is something which can be enjoyed by anyone who isn't biased against it because of any particular factor.

As for the writing, It's funny, I agree about Walt, because like I've already said, Walt is the redeeming grace of the show, character-wise.
However, the symbolism, however is as forced as it comes, from what I've seen. You don't think the whole plane crash thing was forced?

And Jesse is a scarecrow for them to dump anything at. Expertly developed? You should watch more stuff.

What you have right here is the exact opposite of a convincing argument. Claiming "if we're being honest" as if everyone else is lying to themselves and then rattling off several other shows doesn't defend or reinforce a single one of the statements you've made. If anything, it weakens them by showing that you haven't come up with a way of defending them. Don't ruin yourself like that.

Breaking Bad has far more pure action than Mad Men or other similar shows, so it sure delivers the adrenaline in that respect. In fact, I don't see how anyone could say Mad Men is adrenaline-filled. I love the show, but not for spectacle or thrills. It's about becoming enveloped in several wonderful characters.
As for why it spurs on excitement when it unravels slowly (I'd argue it's pace isn't slow, just slower than most broadcast dramas), it's because the slow burn is tense and hair-raising. Excellent microcosm of this is an episode you haven't reached yet called Box Cutter.

It wasn't supposed to be an argument. It was an observation, pure and simple. Assuming we're refering to the same statement, at least... oO

Also, I'm not trying to compare Mad Men and BB (far from it), my only point is that given that BB is not over-the-top in nature (which usually translates in big followings, like Lost, for example), and that the adrenalin that it supplies is most likely not the reason behind all the love, I don't understand why people aren't raving about any of the other competently written shows on the air right now. It's boggling my mind.

In short: why is BB being singled out?

big ander

What I meant by universally good is that it can be enjoyed by anyone who isn't biased against it.

Let's take your avatar as the perfect example of my point: not matter how good Friday Night Lights may be, I'll never enjoy it, as I hate handegg and the whole north american high school culture... I'm biased against it, therefore I'll never be able to enjoy it to it's full potential. What I mean by universally good in this picture is something which can be enjoyed by anyone who isn't biased against it because of any particular factor.

As for the writing, It's funny, I agree about Walt, because like I've already said, Walt is the redeeming grace of the show, character-wise.
However, the symbolism, however is as forced as it comes, from what I've seen. You don't think the whole plane crash thing was forced?

And Jesse is a scarecrow for them to dump anything at. Expertly developed? You should watch more stuff.
Your argument about bias is, frankly, bullshit. While your distaste for "handegg" is original and hilarious and unique and sets you apart (I barely enjoy football by the way), it has nothing to do with liking Friday Night Lights. FNL isn't about football. It's about discrimination, teenage romance, finding fulfillment as an adult, dealing with dueling attachment to and distaste for your hometown. It's a universally relatable experience that happens to involve football. You are repeatedly confusing premise with what actually matters: theme and message.

The plane crash was forced and could likely be agreed upon as being a misstep by nearly everyone in this topic. The intent was good (Walt's decisions are continuing to have a larger and larger negative impact on others), but the execution was lacking. You're ignoring symbolism like Walt's color transformation and dozens upon dozens of other small touches that reveal layers to the characters.

Again, you didn't bring up any examples as to why Jesse is a shallow character. You only said I should watch more stuff, which is arrogant vapid unintelligent horseshit. Even if Breaking Bad was the only show I'd seen (it certainly isn't), the fact that I've actually presented examples showing arcs the character has followed and elements of his persona that they've revealed beats your constant and meaningless assertions that everyone knows less than you and is lying to themselves. Maybe quit your asshattery and circlejerk over at r/atheism?

It wasn't supposed to be an argument. It was an observation, pure and simple. Assuming we're refering to the same statement, at least... oO

Also, I'm not trying to compare Mad Men and BB (far from it), my only point is that given that BB is not over-the-top in nature (which usually translates in big followings, like Lost, for example), and that the adrenalin that it supplies is most likely not the reason behind all the love, I don't understand why people aren't raving about any of the other competently written shows on the air right now. It's boggling my mind.

In short: why is BB being singled out?
It's not an observation, it's illogical bull. How in the hell would you know that EVERYONE is lying to themselves? Jesus, I don't think you understand what the words "subjectivity" or "universally" actually mean.

Breaking Bad has done a good job of maintaining internal logic, but it's most certainly exaggerated and dramatic (or over-the-top, as you put it). Think about the premise of the show: it's a squandered-genius scientist cooking methamphetamine because he has cancer and wants to make sure his son who has CP and his pregnant wife are taken care of. At the same time, his brother-in-law is a top anti-drug agent and his former student is a naive addict. Is it high-concept sci-fi like Lost? No, but that doesn't mean it's not fantastical. It combines ideas that are at the center of social consciousness at the moment: the war on drugs and the rise of meth, cancer, etc. How does that not grab surface attention? All of that, of course, ignores that it's also a strong character study, which has always drawn attention.

Also, you can multi-quote posts or edit your posts to avoid double-posting.

Your argument about bias is, frankly, bullshit. While your distaste for "handegg" is original and hilarious and unique and sets you apart (I barely enjoy football by the way), it has nothing to do with liking Friday Night Lights. FNL isn't about football. It's about discrimination, teenage romance, finding fulfillment as an adult, dealing with dueling attachment to and distaste for your hometown. It's a universally relatable experience that happens to involve football. You are repeatedly confusing premise with what actually matters: theme and message.

The plane crash was forced and could likely be agreed upon as being a misstep by nearly everyone in this topic. The intent was good (Walt's decisions are continuing to have a larger and larger negative impact on others), but the execution was lacking. You're ignoring symbolism like Walt's color transformation and dozens upon dozens of other small touches that reveal layers to the characters.

Again, you didn't bring up any examples as to why Jesse is a shallow character. You only said I should watch more stuff, which is arrogant vapid unintelligent horseshit. Even if Breaking Bad was the only show I'd seen (it certainly isn't), the fact that I've actually presented examples showing arcs the character has followed and elements of his persona that they've revealed beats your constant and meaningless assertions that everyone knows less than you and is lying to themselves. Maybe quit your asshattery and circlejerk over at r/atheism?

Wow, someone's getting hot and bothered. oO

The whole FNL thing wasn't supposed to be an insult, buddy. Theme and message are what's important, we agree, but you seem to be completely misinterpretating what I say... just like you did when you apparently thought I was saying Mad Men is adrenaline filled. Oo
The only thing I've said is that THERE IS such a thing as universal good. Look at Dekalog, for example, it's completely beyond any type of criticism. The only reason anyone wouldn't be able to enjoy it is if they add any type of bias against it. The whole reason behind me giving FNL and myself as an example is exactly that... I know it's supposed to be a good show, I do! But the setting makes me biased against it. US high-school culture makes me sick. It's like watching german movies made under the nazi regime... some of them have incredible themes and messages, but the whole propaganda setting turns me off and renders me unable to enjoy them. Same with my grandma and The Wire, for example... or my father and Game of thrones (he hates fantasy).

Anyway, had no idea the plane crash was disliked, but glad to hear so. And yeah, I do know what you mean, but come on, most of the symbolism on the show is obvious and shallow. The cars and clothes a great example of how much they hit you over the head with it. Not heavy handed??? Even the damn colours are symbolic!
Not that there aren't amazing pieces of symbolism hidden here and there, like the dirty fork thing. But it's mostly heavy handed stuff.

You want to know why Jesse is a shallow character? Because he's been around since Dostoyevsky started writing, he's the cathartic ne'er do well but well intentioned lost soul. He's been in every movie, book and tv show ever involving the theme of recovery. I mean, the second he shows up in the first episode you know he's going to be a constant source of disappointment who eventually comes through and owns up to the situation. And that's true for every other character on the show other than Walt, they're one dimentional, all of them.

And once again, I'm amazed at how low people stoop when defending their egos. Everyone knows less than me? oO Where the hell did that come from? I can't disagree without being an arrogant troll, is that it?

God damn it, here I am trying to have a proper discussion and you had to start insulting me.
The only thing I said about you was that if you can't see through the characters and their arcs, you need to watch more quality drama! And you go apeshit on me about how I'm arrogant. oO

What the hell... when did I even tell you to watch more tv shows? I said stuff. You know, anything within the medium? TV shows are the lowest form of drama (even though some are amazing, even the best fall short of a good film).

It's not an observation, it's illogical bull. How in the hell would you know that EVERYONE is lying to themselves? Jesus, I don't think you understand what the words "subjectivity" or "universally" actually mean.

Breaking Bad has done a good job of maintaining internal logic, but it's most certainly exaggerated and dramatic (or over-the-top, as you put it). Think about the premise of the show: it's a squandered-genius scientist cooking methamphetamine because he has cancer and wants to make sure his son who has CP and his pregnant wife are taken care of. At the same time, his brother-in-law is a top anti-drug agent and his former student is a naive addict. Is it high-concept sci-fi like Lost? No, but that doesn't mean it's not fantastical. It combines ideas that are at the center of social consciousness at the moment: the war on drugs and the rise of meth, cancer, etc. How does that not grab surface attention? All of that, of course, ignores that it's also a strong character study, which has always drawn attention.

Also, you can multi-quote posts or edit your posts to avoid double-posting.

Yes, because I'm actually saying everyone is in denial, it's not just an expression or anything. Everytime anyone says "let's be honest" he's automatically arguing that everyone who disagrees is in denial.

In the end, it seems we agree. Everything you said about BB in the end there I agree with, all I'm saying is that while it's a good show, it's not the second coming of christ everyone makes it out to be. It's a clear case of don't believe the hype. Good premise, good main charcter. Everything else is decent, but not OH MY GOD AMAZING SAUCE ME NOW as it seems everyone's bent on making it seem.

Excuse the pedantic bullshit.

It does pack some awesome punches, though. Just saw the scene where Walt and family are in the hospital waiting room when Hank's being operated after getting shot and the scene where Walt's fixing the unbalanced table with a piece of forbes magazine is pure genius.

big ander

The only thing I've said is that THERE IS such a thing as universal good. Look at Dekalog, for example, it's completely beyond any type of criticism. The only reason anyone wouldn't be able to enjoy it is if they add any type of bias against it. The whole reason behind me giving FNL and myself as an example is exactly that... I know it's supposed to be a good show, I do! But the setting makes me biased against it. US high-school culture makes me sick. It's like watching german movies made under the nazi regime... some of them have incredible themes and messages, but the whole propaganda setting turns me off and renders me unable to enjoy them. Same with my grandma and The Wire, for example... or my father and Game of thrones (he hates fantasy).
There is not a universal good. And you haven't provided an argument as to why there is. Again, your whole thing about bias doesn't make a lick of sense. I know people who despise football and don't know the rules to the game. They love the show. Because theme is what's most important, premise can't stop enjoyment. I haven't seen the Decalogue yet, though I'm a huge fan of what I've seen of Kieslowski already. Red could enter my pantheon of favorite all-time films after a few move viewings. But saying it's exempt from criticism is patently false. It's an opinion.
You want to know why Jesse is a shallow character? Because he's been around since Dostoyevsky started writing, he's the cathartic ne'er do well but well intentioned lost soul. He's been in every movie, book and tv show ever involving the theme of recovery. I mean, the second he shows up in the first episode you know he's going to be a constant source of disappointment who eventually comes through and owns up to the situation. And that's true for every other character on the show other than Walt, they're one dimentional, all of them.
Repetitive =/= shallow. The character having shown up in fiction before doesn't simply make them underdeveloped. Even being predictable doesn't make a character shallow. Example: Vic Mackey in The Shield. Well-worn antihero archetype. Yet he's one of the most involving characters on television.
And once again, I'm amazed at how low people stoop when defending their egos. Everyone knows less than me? oO Where the hell did that come from? I can't disagree without being an arrogant troll, is that it?

God damn it, here I am trying to have a proper discussion and you had to start insulting me.
The only thing I said about you was that if you can't see through the characters and their arcs, you need to watch more quality drama! And you go apeshit on me about how I'm arrogant. oO

What the hell... when did I even tell you to watch more tv shows? I said stuff. You know, anything within the medium? TV shows are the lowest form of drama (even though some are amazing, even the best fall short of a good film).
Because it is arrogant. Asserting that one can only have a certain opinion because they're less experienced or knowledgable than you is arrogant. By definition. This, unlike the quality of a TV show, cannot be argued. I went apeshit because that kind of arrogance, that kind of "oh my god you haven't seen ___! you suck!" sentiment is far too prevalent today. It's infuriating and wrong. Telling someone they need to see a piece of drama because you think they'd enjoy it is collaborative, kind, and constructive. Telling someone they need to see the things you've seen because without doing so they are inferior is insufferable. I insult the insufferable. I'm human.

I have a good grip on the characters. I can hold a proper discussion, and I have tried to. I've come up with examples. I've responded to (the few) legitimate and founded critiques. I've seen quality drama. Quit being pretentious.

As for TV shows being the lowest form of drama: that's a whole separate argument for another day. In a nutshell: I think on average, across history, TV shows are much worse than every other form of drama. But their development over the years has been very interesting and in the past few years we've reached a place where many television shows can beat out many movies. The extended and episodic format of television has its advantages that are being correctly exploited more and more, and the position of showrunner as auteur is compelling. I'm excited to see how television evolves, especially under the influence of the internet. I'm hopeful that quality will only rise. Even right now though: I'd much rather watch three episodes of, say, Homeland than I would The Vow or Act of Valor.

Yes, because I'm actually saying everyone is in denial, it's not just an expression or anything. Everytime anyone says "let's be honest" he's automatically arguing that everyone who disagrees is in denial.
It sure comes off that way.

In the end, it seems we agree. Everything you said about BB in the end there I agree with, all I'm saying is that while it's a good show, it's not the second coming of christ everyone makes it out to be. It's a clear case of don't believe the hype. Good premise, good main charcter. Everything else is decent, but not OH MY GOD AMAZING SAUCE ME NOW as it seems everyone's bent on making it seem.

Excuse the pedantic bullshit.
And that's fine. That's an opinion that makes sense. It's not one that I agree with, and it's not the one I have, but it's one I entirely comprehend. But you need to stop claiming it as fact. Don't do that with any of your opinions. It undermines the entire purpose of academic critical discussion.

Fry

You guys should decide this over a fist fight.

Breaking Bad is the best show on TV right now, and has been since 24 ended. True story bro.

VariantX04

Loser slave of the system :(
It's always best to let Oxigen wear himself out with his "I'm not stating my opinion as irrefutable fact but I mean come on let's be honest guys" posts.

And shit, leaks? Might avoid this thread until season 5 if that's the case.

Cake Boss

Banned
Just finished watching all the seasons in a week.

MIND FUCKING BLOWN. This is the best writing I have seen on a show, so many little holes and amazing acting by all of the cast, from top to bottom everyone's acting is on the same level.

Can't fucking wait for season 5.

Anyone know if the director Gilliger would be working on something else after this.

finally finished season 4 and holy shit! Best season finale I have ever seen.

Indeed. I finished watching the show a few weeks ago, and I'm still haunted by the finale on almost a daily basis. I've revisited the scene where Gus is walking away from the car towards the final "showdown" with Tio numerous times, and it still hits me hard every single time. That god-tier music might have something to do with it.

Can't wait for Season 5.

Just remembered another question I had. Back in season two, remember all those foreshadowing scenes at waltz house before the plane collision?

Whho were those two bodies supposed to be? What was the point of all those foreshadowing scenes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom