• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread - Summer sales usually last week of June

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acidote

I'm not buying it because I can't handle any more games right now and I only buy what I'm going to play soon, but if it is anything like the first Trine, I highly recommend it.

I'm sure this is already posted but people from the UK can get Saints Row the Third for £9.85 at ShopTo download section which will just spit you out a steam code :)

Tess3ract

Banned
Ok this is getting ridiculous now. I just got a second 480meg update now.

These developers are garbage, i want to go to the Dungeon Defenders OT and tell the devs they are pathetic.

Every 2 or 3 days this game has a massive upgade. Often multiple upgades in 1 day.
Why are you complaining? I'd rather have a company actively working on improving their game than no patches at all (looking at you big AAA games)

ngt

I'm sure this is already posted but people from the UK can get Saints Row the Third for £9.85 at ShopTo download section which will just spit you out a steam code :)

It's cheaper at PC World: £7.99 when using pcgamer20 code.
http://www.pcworlddownloads.co.uk/product/lp28020/saints-row-the-third/

Why are you complaining? I'd rather have a company actively working on improving their game than no patches at all (looking at you big AAA games)

Because the process of patching a game should be thought through and all changes should be tested, otherwise it's just a chaos and you end up releasing patches uncontrollably, quite often forcing users to download big files because of the structure of the game.

Volcynika

For those that might not know.

Trine 2 has mix and match co-op, AKA 2 local players + 1 online player, things like that. You're not restricted to playing only local or only online. It's neat. Also it's a really fun and pretty game.

Card Boy

Banned

Yeah make me to be the bad guy. Typical.

-Most countries have bandwidth caps
-the game downloads like 4 to 10 gig a month depending how aggressive the devs are getting
-I'd rather have 1 600 meg patch a month than 5 in 1 week
-They should be thinking about their patching process, and seeing how it impacts their paying customers. This includes testing, planing ahead and looking for feedback.

Best solution would be just to release a test app like DOTA2, TF2 and CS, where it goes to a test client first and goes live some period later.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Dungeon Defenders is awesome but the updates are getting a little out hand. I will say this - Ever since yesterdays patch my game doesn't CTD when changing maps or leaving online games.

One of my favorite DD games ever but I cringe at those updates. I'm on a subpar 3mbps connection and these updates crawl.

MRORANGE

The best solution is to just delete the god damn game.

This.

and Dungeon Defenders do give reasons for updatess most of the time:

Added New Hero: Series Ev (Premium Content)
* Added New Challenge: Karathiki Competitive Tower Defense (Premium Content, Part of Karathiki Jungle Pack)

* Apprentice Mana Bomb damage exponential ramp buffed, on the high-end can do about 10x damage than previously
* Karathiki Pure Strategy now supports 6 players
* Friendly Djinn can no longer be gas-stunned
* Added Respawning Treasure Chests to Frostdale PvP Maps
* Reduced "Rumble in the Jungle" to 12 waves
* VDay enemies much more likely to follow the player
* Improved player networked movement quality in PvP game
* Join-Requirement Minimum Level Setting is now controller-friendly, as is the Show Shops/Show Games button
* Griffon Pet projectile now deals splash damage
* Healing-plus-Damaging Pets (such as Monkey and Goblin Cupid) will favor Healing if a Heal-Target is below 50% Health
* Fixed Wyvern pathfinding on Karathiki, Fixed spawn locations on Karathiki (they're indoors now), Fixed inappropriate build locations on Karathiki, Fixed Bowling Balls breaking on the floor of parts of Karathiki

Most of the changes area actually from feedback by the community as well.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
If only steam had integrated functionality that let you pause updates for a game, re-enabling them again when you actually play the game...

Oh wait!

At the rate they're going, you'd be better off deleting the game and downloading it when you want it then.

But let's be honest here: how many of us complaining about the updates actually play the game regularly? Just the delete the damn game and live a happier, richer life.

Javaman

All of those seem like balance/AI/text data changes, though, so wouldn't that be like a 400KB update?
The first part of the patch notes is a biggie, with the new character and all. Everyone needs the patch since you can join servers that don't have the dlc character unlocked. I'm more annoyed at end game grind fest than the often updates perrsonally. (Having unlimited internet takes the sting out)

About Mafia II, I just did the
Bomb Under the Seat
mission from Joe's Adventure.

Worst mission ever. I must have played it a hundred times, wtf.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
At the rate they're going, you'd be better off deleting the game and downloading it when you want it then.

But let's be honest here: how many of us complaining about the updates actually play the game regularly? Just the delete the damn game and live a happier, richer life.

What would we have to complain about then? This thread would just shrivel up if we used common sense instead of just whining in here.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
If this thread ever began to die, I'd just fill it with my optimism that we'll see Half-Life 3 this year.

It's totally going to happen, fellas. And I'm not liberal with my use of "totally", because I'm not a TMNT.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Are you sure? Proof? :D

Who needs proof when you have faith!

z9aSe.jpg

Joe Molotov

And speaking of adventure games, I see that Midnight Mysteries 4 is on Steam. I've played the first two and they're a casual mix of hidden object and average point-and-click. First is more hidden object where is the second is more point-and-click. Too bad the third isn't on Steam.

2 & 3 got stealth added to the store. I might check the out when I need something casual to unwind with.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Looks like it. I was searching for some info on Google and found this thread.

http://www.steamgifts.com/forum/7qAJu/i-need-to-be-feared

Apparently you now get this e-mail when someone tries to use a key you already used. Not the best idea in my opinion.

As a person who recently purchased a game through Amazon to find that the key had already been used, I'm fine with putting a little fear into a person scummy enough to use a CD-Key and then return it. Damn the false positives!

1-D_FTW

About Mafia II, I just did the
Bomb Under the Seat
mission from Joe's Adventure.

Worst mission ever. I must have played it a hundred times, wtf.

Yeah. I had a Live Blog style rant going in the official thread.

Joe's Adventure is worth playing because the 4 - 5 Story Missions are great. But the filler sucks. And of the filler,
Bomb Under the Seat
is the one I remember (for reasons that aren't flattering).

Is Rainslicked Precipice for everyone? Or mainly of interested to PA fans? The screenshots vaguely remind me of Costume Quest.

I loved it, primarily because I really love the JRPG mechanics in it (full heal after each battle, fast and fun battle system). The humour of the game is very odd, and didn't totally turn me on, but it was entertaining enough to have me play both games the day they came out.

I just played the demo. Holy shit!

Exactly :)

The game itself lasted me 10 hours on hard difficulty while playing with a friend, it's great fun and absolutely gorgeous. They've just patched the game as well to make it harder and added some other improvements. There's no reason to skip it.

Ledsen

I loved it, primarily because I really love the JRPG mechanics in it (full heal after each battle, fast and fun battle system). The humour of the game is very odd, and didn't totally turn me on, but it was entertaining enough to have me play both games the day they came out.

I thought the battle system was excrutiatingly slow, I don't know how you could find it to be that fast. Enemies had too much HP (on normal), abilities took too long to recharge and the animations weren't especially quick.

DagsJT

Exactly :)

The game itself lasted me 10 hours on hard difficulty while playing with a friend, it's great fun and absolutely gorgeous. They've just patched the game as well to make it harder and added some other improvements. There's no reason to skip it.

I've still got Trine 1 to play so going to hold off for now. I was under the impression that Trine 1 local co-op would be fine with a pair of 360 controllers but it seems one has to use the keyboard? Is it the same with Trine 2?

The alien section is fun but definitely not on the same level of the levels before it.

I rarely play the second half of the game... but half of Crysis is still one of, if not the best, FPS ever made. It's that good.

Shame Crytek dropped the ball with 2.

Zimbardo

i really enjoyed Crysis 2 ...and it looks even better maxed out with the high res textures/DX11 pack.

multiplayer was pretty fun, too ...and yeah, people still play it. i had a few games last week.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Yeah, Crysis 2 looks incredible. It's worth the $9 if you have the hardware to crank it up. Better looking game than BF3 imo.

I thought it was fairly disappointing otherwise though. Some of the worst AI I've seen in recent memory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom